Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 101 to 118 of 118

Thread: WGF/WGS - The Future

  1. #101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Would you like to give it a go Phil. We can at least see where the preferences lie.
    Rob.

    i can start the thread but im afraid i havent got a clue how to do a poll lol.

  2. #102

    Default

    Just put down the questions you want to ask and I will do the poll for you Phil.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  3. #103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Just put down the questions you want to ask and I will do the poll for you Phil.
    Rob.



    thanks!

  4. #104

    Default

    " But its a niche game! It really is an extremely niche game" the thing is it doesnt have to be. its a really great game system with broad appeal. ive literally lost count the number of times ive had non historical, non miniatures and even non gamers express interest in the game. if only we had a game to provide them
    Yes, the success of War Thunder and IL-2 the video games would indicate a demand out there for gaming of this theme.

    but my buddy who owns the store i work at pointed out that if casual players know they can rely on my minis they wont buy their own.
    Its hard to say really. I know several players who rarely bring their own minis out to games, but have a load in their collection from sheer love of the aircraft.
    If you run the right event, with good incentives, you can get people to buy a mini as entry to the event. I haven't figured this one out perfectly yet but will tell you if I do! My instinct is that it would work best paired with a new release, as no one else there is going to have any of that plane yet.

    and more than once ive seen looks of frustration in the eyes of more regular players when ive told them that this particular or that particular mini isnt currently available. where to find a happy medium
    I admit, it is a crying shame the FW190's and Mustangs are already sold out. They did last 3 years though I believe.

    in any case whether i hear doom or gloom or buoyant optimism i will continue to plug away promoting the game i love at every turn. happy skies all!!!!
    This is the best thing about this game, and this forum! So many people will to keep supporting the game, even though its had years of struggles.

  5. #105

    Default

    So sorry.. but as a consumer I just don't buy the MSRP argument. Availability of the RAP seems to have been what's killed this game in the hobby shops I frequent. In Canada we're used to being screwed six ways from Sunday on costs of just about everything, and ordering from the US for board game stuff here is more often than not a matter of availability than cost (it's often not any cheaper).
    So, they are different issues. The MSRP one is naturally irrelevant for you if its no cheaper to import from US. But it does exist for other countries, I cannot speak for Canada.

    The availability of RAP/and other main starter sets was the major problem, and you are referencing this. I am claiming that it has been resolved now, or at very least, It seems to have been resolved from my perspective. I could be wrong, but I know for a fact that the Battle of Britain Starter has been reprinted already, and there was no gap in availability for that. There was a 6 month gap in the availability in the WW1 RAP, but its been plugged now, we will see if it happens again. The Duel Packs was much shorter, the DVA's were only out of stock for a heartbeat, the Camel/DRI pack was out for some time, I cannot remember how long but I will guess 6 months max. Sails of Glory was much worse, that Starter Set was unavailable for longer, it felt like over a year.

    What I am arguing is that this change seems to have happened recently, in the last 12 months. We now have everything available, with more reprints happening as we speak, (SOG mat & accessories, original WOG mats)

    Look I could be wrong, it could happen again that there are large gaps, and I may just be observing a good patch where everything is in stock. However, I am currently interpreting it as very likely that they have taken the complaints seriously and have responded.

    This is a fine narrative for dudes like us who are really interested and/or already into the game, but it's completely unreasonable for anyone looking to get into the game unless they a real history buff.

    A customer looking to get into WoG is flat out not going to bother if a store tells them "well you have to learn when things are in stock". The immediate followup is "Well when will these be in stock?".

    "I don't know."

    Game over. They're just going to be "screw it" and go play X-Wing instead.
    I may have not been clear enough here. I do agree with you.
    Its not the customers responsibility, it is the retailers (so long as the information is available), and it can also be a responsibility anyone who is a passionate about the game can voluntarily take on, to assist newer players into the game. We can do this by focussing on playing public games that support in stock product.

  6. #106

    Default

    I think if Keith (and others) could accept backorders a lot of the ‘out of stock’ issues could be resolved.
    The supply or cancel model is part of the problem.

  7. #107

    Default

    Since so many have been posting here with a lot of ideas I thought I would post a link to the Suggestions thread started by Phillip:

    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...GS-suggestions

  8. #108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    So, they are different issues. The MSRP one is naturally irrelevant for you if its no cheaper to import from US. But it does exist for other countries, I cannot speak for Canada.

    The availability of RAP/and other main starter sets was the major problem, and you are referencing this. I am claiming that it has been resolved now, or at very least, It seems to have been resolved from my perspective. I could be wrong, but I know for a fact that the Battle of Britain Starter has been reprinted already, and there was no gap in availability for that. There was a 6 month gap in the availability in the WW1 RAP, but its been plugged now, we will see if it happens again. The Duel Packs was much shorter, the DVA's were only out of stock for a heartbeat, the Camel/DRI pack was out for some time, I cannot remember how long but I will guess 6 months max. Sails of Glory was much worse, that Starter Set was unavailable for longer, it felt like over a year.

    What I am arguing is that this change seems to have happened recently, in the last 12 months. We now have everything available, with more reprints happening as we speak, (SOG mat & accessories, original WOG mats)

    Look I could be wrong, it could happen again that there are large gaps, and I may just be observing a good patch where everything is in stock. However, I am currently interpreting it as very likely that they have taken the complaints seriously and have responded.


    I may have not been clear enough here. I do agree with you.
    Its not the customers responsibility, it is the retailers (so long as the information is available), and it can also be a responsibility anyone who is a passionate about the game can voluntarily take on, to assist newer players into the game. We can do this by focussing on playing public games that support in stock product.
    If they availability is fixed the uphill battle we have here now is convincing hobby shops to carry the product again. Like I said, three of the big ones I go to purged their supply of WoG and I doubt they have intentions of re-stocking it. That might take a bit of intervention from Ares or something.

  9. #109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I think if Keith (and others) could accept backorders a lot of the ‘out of stock’ issues could be resolved.
    The supply or cancel model is part of the problem.
    This might work for most game publishers. But if Ares takes years to fulfill back-orders that might cause other problems for Keith.

  10. #110

    Default

    I was thinking of the items that are in stock at Ares.
    If there are really as many as Evan says I think that would get items moving through the pipeline.
    Ares would have to have up-to-date inventory balances available for this to work.
    When the company I worked for sold product through Amazon I had to upload balances daily, and that was 10 years ago.

  11. #111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I was thinking of the items that are in stock at Ares.
    If there are really as many as Evan says I think that would get items moving through the pipeline.
    Ares would have to have up-to-date inventory balances available for this to work.
    When the company I worked for sold product through Amazon I had to upload balances daily, and that was 10 years ago.
    There may well be planes in stock and available to be shipped to stores. The bigger question, though, is - are they planes that anyone wants? There are early war planes for BoB scenarios (minus German bombers, of course), and you can do some Mediterranean scenarios with Falcos and Gladiators. After that it starts to drop off quickly.

    The suggestion of trying to get new players interested and have them play with what's available rather than what they want is a non-starter. If there were a hole here or there with what's available, that would be one thing. In that case a new player has the hope that those holes will be plugged. But when almost all of the most well-known planes are not available (or were never in the game), and they are not even on the schedule to be reprinted or added - why would they want to get into the game? If you set up a scenario of Gladiators versus Falcos the average person will immediately see that and think "Biplanes - this is World War 1." Currently as far as we know there are no plans to reprint planes such as Mustangs, or introduce new fighters to the game. The next announced release is the bomber set announced for 3rd quarter 2019. Assuming they make that date, wouldn't that mean there is about a three-year span between releases of new planes? I would submit that going three years without releasing new product is the very definition of game that is not being supported.

    A final point to keep in mind that is at this point we're down to only 1 American fighter left available from on the primary market - the P-47. How long are those going to remain available? If those become depleted before new fighters or reprints are issued there will then be no US fighters available to buy except at inflated prices on the secondary market.

    If that happens is there really going to be any debate at that point whether a game about WWII air combat that has no US fighters available is attractive to new players?

  12. #112

    Default

    The Battle of Britain Starter plus Squadron packs was released in March 2017. Where did you get the 3 years between releases? Its seemed to me that we have had 2x WW1 releases per year, and 1x WW2 release per year. I wish I had dates when everything was released..

    Without a doubt I would love Ares to double its release quota for the ww2 version of the game. I feel like since the BOB starter set there has been a resurgence of interest, and its ripe for the picking.

  13. #113

    Default

    I was thinking of the items that are in stock at Ares.
    If there are really as many as Evan says I think that would get items moving through the pipeline.
    Pete some stores do do backorders, I don't as it opens up a risk that I might receive a backorder a week after something was sold out at the warehouse. Too much hassle on the inventory management. Keith may share the same reason?

  14. #114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    ... I wish I had dates when everything was released..
    These may help:
    WW1 WOW & WOG Complete Listing Jun 2017: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...do=file&id=723

    World War II Product Contents March 2017: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...do=file&id=910

    "He is wise who watches"

  15. #115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    The Battle of Britain Starter plus Squadron packs was released in March 2017. Where did you get the 3 years between releases? Its seemed to me that we have had 2x WW1 releases per year, and 1x WW2 release per year. I wish I had dates when everything was released..
    I was told that the Bf 109 and Spitfire in that set were already previously released. If that's the case, you can't really say they were new planes.

    EDIT: I just looked at the PDF file, and it seems the fighters in the BoB set were new releases. so I stand corrected.

    Still, a 3Q release for the bombers would mean over two years between new plane releases. I'd still argue that speaks loudly that the game is not very well supported.

  16. #116

    Default

    These may help:
    WW1 WOW & WOG Complete Listing Jun 2017: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...do=file&id=723

    World War II Product Contents March 2017: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...do=file&id=910
    Thanks!! awesome resource.

    Yeah Bob, 2 years is too slow I agree. Out of curiosity you've mentioned the Q3 date a few times, where did you hear that?

  17. #117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    Thanks!! awesome resource.

    Yeah Bob, 2 years is too slow I agree. Out of curiosity you've mentioned the Q3 date a few times, where did you hear that?
    It was somewhere on this forum. My recollection was there was some discussion on here about the next fighter release that was going to include the Corsair and P-38 (and Me 410?) - then I read that it had been postponed and they were coming out with the bombers instead. I subsequently read (again, on this site) that this bomber set was scheduled for 3Q 2019. However, someone posted today that according to a video posted on YouTube after Origins that the Corsair and P-38 are coming out.

  18. #118

    Default

    Here's the YouTube video where they are talking about new releases. Around the 9:20 mark they talk about WoG WW2. He specifically mentions the P-38 and F4U Corsair, with nothing coming out in 2018, hopefully 2019. So maybe this will be coming out before the bombers?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x98Ad0l0Sgs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123


Similar Missions

  1. The Future of future and past re-prints
    By Gallo Rojo in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-23-2017, 15:12
  2. Future of A-10
    By Dan-Sam in forum Historical Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-16-2016, 14:13
  3. Future reading
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-02-2015, 06:37
  4. In the near future...
    By Teaticket in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-05-2014, 17:32
  5. What we know about future releases
    By Dan-Sam in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 01-11-2014, 04:50

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •