Ares Games

Thread: OTTBE Misssion 23 - Cambrai Revisited - 9th October 1918 - by Tikkifriend

Default OTTBE Misssion 23 - Cambrai Revisited - 9th October 1918 - by Tikkifriend

The Battle of Cambrai, 1918 (also known as the Second Battle of Cambrai) was a battle between troops of the British First, Third and Fourth Armies and German Empire forces during the Hundred Days Offensive of the First World War. The battle took place in and around the French city of Cambrai, between 8 and 10 October 1918. The battle incorporated many of the newer tactics of 1918, in particular tanks. The attack was an overwhelming success with light casualties in an extremely short amount of time.

There were three German lines, spanning some 7,000 yd (6,400 m); held by the 20th Landwehr and the 54th Reserve divisions, supported by no more than 150 guns. The weak defense was due to the Allied general offensive across the Western Front, and specifically in this sector, the rapid approach of the Canadian Corps, who had overwhelmed much stronger defenses in the previous days. The German defenders were unprepared for the bombardment by 324 tanks, closely supported by infantry and aircraft

On 8 October, the 2nd Canadian Division entered Cambrai and encountered sporadic and light resistance. However, they rapidly pressed northward, leaving the "mopping up" of the town to the 3rd Canadian Division following close behind. When the 3rd entered the town on 10 October, they found it deserted. Fewer than 20 casualties had been taken

This is a "what if" scenario. for the Central powers. If the tanks can be prevented from receiving their fuel supplies could the battle have swung their way?

For the Allies it is a chance to use their aircraft to harass and destroy the line of trenches thus reducing the casualties for the PBI

Mission Option A Entente players

Mats NML and country

The RAF are tasked with destroying the line of trenches across the main front by carpet bombing them and \or strafing.

RAF planes

1 Caproni; 4 scouts (Snipes if you have them). They start from the centre point of the country map

The Capri carries 4 bombs each of which can do 4 points of damage on a direct hit otherwise the trench receives 2 points of damage. Strafing as per rules

Central Powers

3 scouts. plus 1 two seater. They set up as per random random placement map https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...do=file&id=197

Set up

The trenches (7 cards ) are placed 1 ruler from the NML edge that joins the other mat in NML. The cards run the length of the mat in a broken line each 1/2 ruler from the edge of the next card.
    Trenches have a HP of 5 and VP of 5 . The infantry fire from the trenches as per rules .

Mission Option B Central powers players.
    Mats countryside and industrial

The Germans objective is to destroy the fuel dump behind the advancing tanks and if possible straife the convoy of 6 trucks suppling the tanks at the front .
    Central Powers 1 Gotha 3 scouts 1 of which should be a DVII

Truck cards can be found here. https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...do=file&id=403 They should be printed out at 1/4 size

The depot is destroyed by by 2 direct hits from the Gotha which carries 6 bombs.You can choose to drop either 1 or 2 bombs on each pass but you must declare your choice the turn before you commence the run. Depot has a VP value of 11

The depot target card is located on the industrial mat within 1\2 ruler of the railway bridge crossing.

The trucks start at the road bridge and follow any road west at a movement rate of 1/2 ruler from the front of the card per turn .

Trucks are tail to tail. should they reach half way across the country map they are considered safe and not targets for the purpose of points

Trucks have a HP and VP value of 4

RAF 3 scouts & a Bristol Fighter.

The Central power planes set up on the mid point of the countryside mat. RAF enter using the random placement set up
    Last edited by tikkifriend; 07-03-2018 at 11:06. Reason: Title adjust

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Looks interesting Paul.

Any points for shooting down planes or is it just destruction of ground targets? If only ground targets count, what level of ground target points is a victory?

Question

Hi Paul!
    I presume you have no objection to using a H-P 0/400 in lieu of a Caproni as I do not have one of the Italian Bombers.

Thanks Paul, would like to see some way to decide victory too but if I splash everything that should do it !
    Fortunately I have a RAF Caproni or two

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Tidy little mission Paul, I look forward to giving it a good go.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Hi Paul!
    I presume you have no objection to using a H-P 0/400 in lieu of a Caproni as I do not have one of the Italian Bombers.
    Feel free to use what you have Baz

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Thanks Paul, would like to see some way to decide victory too but if I splash everything that should do it !
    Fortunately I have a RAF Caproni or two
    If you hit everything you score a total of 35 pts but can you do it
    As each side has a total of 35 VP available the total for all the AARs will determine the victors .

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Looks interesting Paul.

Any points for shooting down planes or is it just destruction of ground targets? If only ground targets count, what level of ground target points is a victory?
    Shooting down the planes reduces the chance of scoring more VPs but score 0 in terms of VPs . The total of all the AARs VPs will detremain the final outcome be it RAF or Eagles as each have a total max of 35 VPs to hit.

Hi Paul I should like to try my hand at this one but don't have any bombers and have never used them, I do have two seaters though.

Would it be feasible to use 2 x two seaters instead of 1 bomber, flying them in formation so they support each other and move as one. Or would I be better using a two seater as a substitute and printing a card for a bomber and using that for movement and firing? I think I have some movement card PDF's I could use.

What do you think?

Mission Option B Central powers players.
    Mats countryside and industrial

The Germans objective is to destroy the fuel dump behind the advancing tanks and if possible straife the convoy of 6 trucks suppling the tanks at the front .
    Central Powers 1 Gotha 3 scouts 1 of which should be a DVII
    Is that a Maximum of one D.VII, Paul?
    or at least one?

Any other aircraft limitations?
    (I see in the rules that the D.VIII doesn't become available until October 24th)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Feel free to use what you have Baz
    A DH.4 or a Bristol fighter might be more in line with what would have been used for Trench work so might go with one of those,
    The H-P's were usually used only for long range bombing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Is that a Maximum of one D.VII, Paul?
    or at least one?

Any other aircraft limitations?
    (I see in the rules that the D.VIII doesn't become available until October 24th)
    Its a minimum but if you have a Jasta no other limitations for the Central Powers, just as long as we win

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Hi Paul I should like to try my hand at this one but don't have any bombers and have never used them, I do have two seaters though.

Would it be feasible to use 2 x two seaters instead of 1 bomber, flying them in formation so they support each other and move as one. Or would I be better using a two seater as a substitute and printing a card for a bomber and using that for movement and firing? I think I have some movement card PDF's I could use.

What do you think?
    John if you want to use 2 two seaters instead of a larger bomber that's fine , just make sure that they carry a total bomb load that matches the single large bomber.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    If you hit everything you score a total of 35 pts but can you do it
    As each side has a total of 35 VP available the total for all the AARs will determine the victors .
    Paul I think your math is off for the CP Victory Points

6 trucks x 4 = 24 plus 9 for the depot is only 33 not 35

Ah you spotted the deliberate mistake The depot is worth 11

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Paul I think your math is off for the CP Victory Points

6 trucks x 4 = 24 plus 9 for the depot is only 33 not 35
    I think Paul's bias for flying British is showing!

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

On the bombing part of the mission, at what altitude are the Gotha and Caproni supposed to be dropping the bombs from?

I'd recommend higher than the guns can fire !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

It's a carpet bombing run so 4 or above

Nice mission Paul. Enjoyed it lots. Many thanks

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

After reading the finished missions, I have a question on VPs. You get 5 per trench destroyed and 4 per truck destroyed. Does the opposition get points for undamaged trenches and trucks?
    And do you get points for damaging but not destroying the objectives?

Similar Missions

1. WGSF DAM Project! Revisited . . .
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 09-04-2020, 19:53
  2. Altitude revisited... again
    By steel_ratt in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-06-2018, 12:55
  3. AAR Misssion 15-Belleau Woods-Semper Fi 6 June 1918
    By Setarius in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 10