Ares Games

Thread: Battlegroup South, Bovington Tank Museum Wargamers Show 2018

Default Battlegroup South, Bovington Tank Museum Wargamers Show 2018

The Tank Museum, Bovington – Sat/Sun 14th & 15th July 2018

Doors open at 10am - we need to be there about 0830-0900 latest & will meet in the car park.

I have elicited a positive result from Richard regarding Bovington:

Hi yes I can get you in it, will send a booking form later today please complete and return ASAP so I know the details. Richard
    So we are a GO

I will update more details as & when I get them.

Site link;
    http://www.battlegroupsouth.org/

Here's the skinny:

For those that arrive on Saturday morning access will be from 0800 hours to 1000 hours. The show is open 1000 hours to 1700 hours both Saturday and Sunday. As this show attracts a larger number of the general public than is normal at the average wargames event we cannot get you out until Sunday 1600 hours at the earliest, for security reasons.

As normal, four free wristbands will be issued per game with additional players paying the £9 per head for a weekend entry ticket.

Wristbands must be worn at all times in the museum to allow uninhibited access through museum security over the weekend.
    Battlegroup South only maintain security at the doors from 08.00 until 10.00; after this access is only via the main entrance and the museum staff. If you don’t have a wristband you won’t be allowed back in, even if you have paid!

Club games are free, as this is what the hobby is all about, but this year we will give priority to gamer's who are camping on site.

Free parking within designated areas is available all weekend but we ask all traders and associated members not to park in the museum’s public car parks but in our designated car park; or remove your vehicles back to the grassed areas or where designated on the day. Filling up the museum’s car park with gamer and trader vehicles seriously p****s off the museum staff.

Latest is we're getting a 10'x6' table - not the easiest size but we might be able to re-jig to a 12x5 if there is space
    Last edited by flash; 06-27-2018 at 03:10.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I have Andy(Ajay), Steve (Guntruck), Mike (Mikeemagnus) attending - please confirm chaps.

Saturday:
    Ajay, Mike, Me & Tim

Possibly Edward, Rob can't make it.

Sunday:
    Gunners, Mike, Me & Tim

If you're only doing Saturday ensure you leave me your wristbands so I can pass it on if we have anyone else coming.
    Last edited by flash; 07-03-2018 at 00:25.

I'd hope to be there on the Saturday but could not be sure for a week or two.

Edward

It would be great to meet you Edward, hope you can make it.

Yep, I'll be there Sunday. Attending both days might be pushing my luck ……...
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Confirming - probably Saturday only. Cheers, Mike

More info posted in the first post

O.K., I'm in for both days.

Dakka
    Dakka
    Dakka
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Excellent news Tim - see you there mate

Glad you got a reply and we in, dont think I can make it due to circumstances but hope it goes well

Thanks Chris, you will be missed old chap - I got an answer straight off, don't know why but I did use the full title of the event as the heading, maybe that did the trick. Must admit I was very surprised to get a response & so quickly ! Hopefully we're now 'IN' and future events will be easier planning wise.

Confirming attendance for Saturday boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajay View Post
    Confirming attendance for Saturday boss.
    Excellent mate, is SWMBO coming along to play on the tanks or are you solo this year ?!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Excellent mate, is SWMBO coming along to play on the tanks or are you solo this year ?!
    Much as Stella enjoyed last year, she has a prior engagement. She has asked me to pass on a message. Kill them all!

Now that we can do !

That's my girl

Packing is almost done - will be setting off this evening and overnighting in Poole - see you chaps in the carpark in the am, think you all have my number by now so text/call me if you have any problems - I should be there about half eight if not before and will collect the wristbands.

Roger wilco.

See you Sunday.

Aiming for 08:30 Saturday myself - heading straight down from the Big Smoke.

Big thankyou to all the chaps for a very successful weekend, the punter's kept us busy, that's for sure. Hopefully someone can post some pics soon, I got about three !

A group always puts on my favorite WW2 15mm ground game, Battlefront. Curious if you got a look at their game?

Didn't really get to look at any other games Pete. Things were more spread out than at previous events too, sure there were things I never found !

Great day out had by all. Good that the number of punters was quite high during today. Managed to keep spending well within limits, probably due to not finding a few of the traders.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Great day out had by all. Good that the number of punters was quite high during today. Managed to keep spending well within limits, probably due to not finding a few of the traders.
    The traders were hiding behind all these big metal thingys, parked all over the place! Grrrrr!

Great weekend - really soooooo much fun. Thanks guys.
    Sorry, absolutely no pics and sorry Peter, had a good look around, but not enough time to look at anything close up. Well perhaps the occassional new player

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    ...not enough time to look at anything close up. Well perhaps the occasional new player ...
    You sly dog, you

Day one - our first victim...er .. I mean punter. Mike (Mikeemagnus) on the left i/c the Strutter with Tim (Flying Helmut) and his new wingman giving chase in a pair of Albatrii D.III.
    Name:  SAM_0387.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  201.4 KB

Mike claims his first victim (Tim) - off script again Mike !
    Name:  SAM_0388.JPG
Views: 136
Size:  199.8 KB

He seemed pretty pleased with his efforts though
    Name:  SAM_0389.JPG
Views: 134
Size:  202.4 KB

It was a quiet morning but things picked up in the afternoon, in more ways than one.
    Name:  SAM_0392.JPG
Views: 499
Size:  210.9 KB

Phil & Ella joined us for a game - Phil soon realised his error as his girlfriend took great delight in blowing him out of the sky, she retired with two kills on the day, Phil made up some ground and claimed a consolation !

I wore my BGIF shirt on day one but forgot to get a pic so this will have to do - Matt, I tweaked the index card to 'Old Skool'
    Name:  SAM_0393.JPG
Views: 132
Size:  201.5 KB

Day two and, obviously a glutton for punishment, or, knowing which side his bread is buttered Phil returned with Ella for another round - we upgraded them to Fokker D.VII & a Snipe
    Name:  SAM_0394.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  212.9 KB

More hilarity and teasing ensued.. some commiseration going on !
    Name:  SAM_0396.JPG
Views: 136
Size:  215.1 KB

Main point is they had a great time and bought a duel pack so Phil could practice at home

That's all from me picture wise - we switched our table round from a 10x6 to a 12x5 and ran two games at a time - the setting could not have been better sandwiched between a KV.1, Su76, and a P.II Luchs. Marvellous !

Mike looks like he's having a good time in the last photo, is this some local Devon custom no one else knows about. Panda practice maybe?

Again in the 3rd photo it seems to be some strange ritual greeting, whatever it is, it looks like you all had a good time.

I though they were doing flying goggles when I took the pic but I think they were shedding tears for Phil !

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I though they were doing flying goggles when I took the pic but I think they were shedding tears for Phil !
    Humm, you sure it's not some strange Devonian courting ritual?

Similar Missions

1. Bovington and Attack Devizes 2018 Dates?
    By NewFlyBoy in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-25-2018, 07:04
  2. South England PAW (Plymouth Association of Wargamers) Annual show 2018
    By mikeemagnus in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-06-2018, 07:42
  3. Replies: 77
    Last Post: 07-07-2017, 04:27
  4. South England Bovington Show - Battlegroup South July 2 / 3 2016
    By Mickowenuk in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2016, 23:37
  5. South England Bovington show this weekend.
    By decapod in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-07-2014, 03:51