Ares Games

Thread: Origins 2018 "World Record" events - WWI & WWII

Default Origins 2018 "World Record" events - WWI & WWII

I wasn't sure where to post these photos, since they really aren't AARs, so decided to put them here.

After playing in Phillip's "Bombing the Reich" WWI scenario Wednesday night, I decided to play in the WWI World Record event. My first surprise - $12 to play. That shock was immediately alleviated when I was told I got to keep the aircraft I used. Although I didn't play WWI, I had picked up a set and six planes dirt cheap a few months back, so was pretty happy to be getting another plane. That turned to delight when I saw the aircraft - an Albatross two-seater! I had built a model of this plane as a kid, and it was even molded in the same color as this model. So I would be playing with a sentimental favorite.

I was very lucky in this event, and scored three kills.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180615_095924.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	221.0 KB 
ID:	249836

No allies in this game - it's a demolition derby, and my first kill is another Albatross.

Name:	20180615_101644.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	183.1 KB 
ID:	249837

My second kill, and it's on the dreaded "Boom Card." Another first for me.

Name:	20180615_105340.jpg 
Size:	212.4 KB 
ID:	249838

Laying out the cards...

Name:	20180615_105344.jpg 
Size:	243.3 KB 
ID:	249839

It's enough - kill number three. And my second kill in row on the same player - Ann.

I wound up as one of only two players with 3 kills. Neither of us had been shot down, so the tiebreaker was how much damage we had each taken. I had 9 points, so lost the tiebreaker. Still, I was happy to finish in a tie for first in only my second game of WWI.

A quick break and on to WWII.

Once again two seaters - Dauntlesses versus D4Y Judys. I choose another favorite - the Dauntless. You can never have enough of these in your collection.

Name:	20180615_115816.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	249840

My first kill of the game.

Name:	20180615_120849.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	249841

Kill number two. Rear guns are really handy.

Name:	20180615_121721.jpg 
Size:	262.9 KB 
ID:	249842

My turn to crash and burn.

Name:	20180615_124323.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	200.7 KB 
ID:	249843

I barely had a shot here, but it was enough for a kill. By this point we were paying by the rule that if you went down you were eliminated. It came down to 2 players - and one of them is me.

Name:	20180615_125351.jpg 
Size:	234.9 KB 
ID:	249844

Thanks to a well-timed Immelmann I'm the last man.. er, plane standing. First place, and a $10 certificate from Ares.

Although I wouldn't want to play this way every game, the demolition derby approach is an interesting change of pace. It's kind of fun to just shoot anything and everything that comes into your sights.

Needless to say, I never dreamed I would wind up finishing tied for first in the WWI event (especially in only my 2nd WWI game ever), and win the WWII event outright against such talented players. I could probably play these two events every year from here on and never be able to pull that off again.

Looking forward to the next event = Peter Landry's Midway scenario.

great pics!!! thanks for sharing!!! its amazing how much this games reconnects with our childhood in so many ways. for me it was the fokker d7s. i have a metal fokker d7 mini that ive had since childhood, it was always one of my favorites. when i saw them in game for the 1st time i was practically salivating until they were re released about a year later!

looks like you were on a roll!

Smile

Well done Bob!
    Never look for Lady Luck directly but she sure looked after you in those 2 games.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    great pics!!! thanks for sharing!!! its amazing how much this games reconnects with our childhood in so many ways. for me it was the fokker d7s. i have a metal fokker d7 mini that ive had since childhood, it was always one of my favorites. when i saw them in game for the 1st time i was practically salivating until they were re released about a year later!

looks like you were on a roll!
    Is it white? It may be the same one I had. When I was about 10 or so my parents bought me a set of metal WWI aircraft. One of them was a white D VII. Unfortunately my grandmother came across them when I was about 20 or so and sold them (as well as a bunch of other of my childhood toys) at a flea market. I was really upset about that - I had specifically set aside these things to keep until such time as I might have kids some day. It still gives me heartburn to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsalt View Post
    Is it white? It may be the same one I had. When I was about 10 or so my parents bought me a set of metal WWI aircraft. One of them was a white D VII. Unfortunately my grandmother came across them when I was about 20 or so and sold them (as well as a bunch of other of my childhood toys) at a flea market. I was really upset about that - I had specifically set aside these things to keep until such time as I might have kids some day. It still gives me heartburn to think about it.

heres a pic of it with its sole remaining adversary (a bit worse for wear). i did have a white one later, but sadly, that one broke ages ago.

Name:	0622145843.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	249875

Great pictures Bob, and well done at the event!!! I didn't fare out as well, but dished out my share of bullets!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crashx View Post
    Great pictures Bob, and well done at the event!!! I didn't fare out as well, but dished out my share of bullets!!!
    I collected quite a bit of ammo myself over the course of the con.

Pointy end first.

Pointy end first.

"He is wise who watches"

Pointy end first.
    Sadly, it's harder to send used bullets back than used arrows
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Similar Missions

1. World Record Breaker Events at Origins
    By 7eat51 in forum Origins Game Fair
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-21-2017, 17:16
  2. National: The "Jets" Expansion - I Jet "fantasmi" della WWII
    By Mad Charly in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-01-2016, 00:31
  3. Origins 2013 - Wings of Glory "Invitational"
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 43