Ares Games

Thread: Cthulhu on the Beach (The Dunkerque Horror) at Origins 2018

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Default Cthulhu on the Beach (The Dunkerque Horror) at Origins 2018

The scenario was set for 12 players, but Cthulhu ended up seducing 14 potential cultists to play off the Channel Coast. The Central Powers were represented by elements of the Marinejagdgeschwader, while Entente forces were Sopwith Camels of the RNAS and a couple of Belgian mates thrown in for good measure...

The planes were flying contact patrols, looking for one another, so with Cthulhu drawing their attention, they couldn't ignore one another, either. Planes entered on opposing long ends of the mat, and the battle was soon joined.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1294.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	248.7 KB 
ID:	249189

Below is a close-up, showing the Great Old One in all of his mysterious glory. We used altitude rules, but it didn't matter what altitude a plane was flying to be able to shoot at Cthulhu...

Name:	IMG_1295.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	249190

Here you can see some of the effects of going mad when firing at Cthulhu - in the bottom left corner of the picture is a plane with a mini-Cthulhu marker on his wing. He is in the middle of completing his mandatory 3-card-madness maneuver. When a pilot fires at The Behemoth, he draws a Madness Card, telling him what his next three maneuver cards must be. You can also make out the slimy green dice I used to determine whether a pilot goes 'mad' (I know, dice aren't for some folks, but they worked well in this game...)

Name:	IMG_1296.jpg 
Size:	242.2 KB 
ID:	249191

Pilots continue to attack one another, as well as Cthulhu, with three pilots recording kills over their opponents. The number of pilots maddened by looking into Cthulhu's eyes was lower than I had hoped, due to several drawing the card that allows them to ignore the fear due to their stalwart constitution, as well as 'lucky' dice rolling at crucial times. No matter - it was a fun kind of madness, anyway...

Name:	IMG_1297.jpg 
Size:	234.4 KB 
ID:	249192

Due to the Old One's size, pilots could avoid collision by flying between his legs - but a pilot had to be at 1 or 2 altitude pegs to do so. Several hoped to do so and were thwarted when Cthulhu changed his facing - facing change was determined by die roll after pilots plotted their movement for the turn. Teaticket was the only one to achieve this feat, Immelmanning under the beast. Quite the skillful pilot is our Peter!

Name:	IMG_1298.jpg 
Size:	254.3 KB 
ID:	249193

Name:	IMG_1299.jpg 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	249194

On the last movement card of the game, the good guys had finally put enough damage into the Great Old One to make him tire of puny human activities, so he disappeared...

Name:	IMG_1300.jpg 
Size:	256.0 KB 
ID:	249195

But I am sure he will return at some point...

I think most folks had a good time flying against one another and against the monster. The rules worked well with a large group, and we managed to get through nine turns in a two-hour game. I uploaded the file of the rules this morning and am just waiting on their approval and posting. I will also post pictures of the cards and accessories I used in the game for those interested. I did so earlier as I was working on things (in some of the monthly workbench threads), but I will add them here to make them easier to find. I will also add an album to my page in the next day or two with these images included.

It is a fun scenario to run, with the forced maneuvers really wreaking havoc on the best-laid plans of serious pilots...

Always the best,
    Matt

Everyone knows you can only banish Cthulhu with a boat...

Good work. Rep.

Here are a few photos I took while flying, some under the madness, some under The Great One himself!

Name:	IMG_2531c.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	251.7 KB 
ID:	249196

Here I am wearing my madness hat, or was I just sporting some dreadlocks?

Name:	IMG_2533c.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	249197

My SSW D.III sneaking up on Cuthulu from behind.

Name:	IMG_2534c.jpg 
Size:	208.6 KB 
ID:	249198

Fool that I am, I fire upon The Great One. He quickly looks in my direction and I can't help but look him in the eye. Brave or foolish? Either way I again go mad and my dreadlocks sprout once more, flowing proudly in the wind.

Name:	IMG_2535c.jpg 
Size:	213.5 KB 
ID:	249199

Name:	IMG_2536c.jpg 
Size:	239.1 KB 
ID:	249200

Not knowing what is going on in my madness I fly beneath The Great One, between his legs, Immelmann and come back out the way I went in!

Name:	IMG_2537c.JPG 
Size:	229.8 KB 
ID:	249201

By pure luck I was out from underneath his nether-parts before he submerged beneath the waves.

Name:	IMG_2538c.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	269.5 KB 
ID:	249202
    Last edited by Teaticket; 06-19-2018 at 07:38.

Love the idea. The madness and dice seem like a great idea to me as well. As for flying under his legs, what happens if he turns, do you plow into his kneecap?

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    Love the idea. The madness and dice seem like a great idea to me as well. As for flying under his legs, what happens if he turns, do you plow into his kneecap?
    That was a potential problem. Gamemaster-Matt let me off easy as the angle of his legs gave me a keyhole to fly through. Very generous of him and it added to the fun!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Great pics, Peter! That little SS DIII is sure a nimble little beastie Immaculate flying, to be sure!

All the best,
    Matt

Great scenario Matt, it was well done and it fit in well at Origins.

Looks like a funny and intersting game, Matt.

I like the idea, that opponent pilots unite in times of greater trouble, like Mars attacks or your Chutullu.

So teaticket made it between the legs of the Great Old One. Think you had to throw the madnes dice a few times, when he spotted this special region. Hope Peter returned with fully restored mentaly health from Origins.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Thumbs up

That looked like a whole load of fun.
    Bet everyone enjoyed that!

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Here you see the accessories I made for the Cthulhu scenario...

Name:	IMG_1303.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	249519

Top center is one of the madness cards that a player draws when he 'looks into Cthulhu's eyes - the card to the right is the dice rolls needed to draw one of these cards. 25% is the chance attacking from the rear, 50% from the side, and 75% from the front. To the left is an example of one of the pilot sanity cards, which can affect how the madness cards play into the game. The green dice I found at my local hobby shop; they seemed suitably Cthulhu-ish. The little Cthulhu markers I made from oak pegs and thin wire - they are meant to help keep track of the maneuver phases a pilot is 'mad'. Peter decided it looked better on his plane, and I kind of agree...

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Looks like a funny and intersting game, Matt.

I like the idea, that opponent pilots unite in times of greater trouble, like Mars attacks or your Chutullu.

So teaticket made it between the legs of the Great Old One. Think you had to throw the madnes dice a few times, when he spotted this special region. Hope Peter returned with fully restored mentaly health from Origins.
    Sven, I doubt I'll ever be the same.

Well to be fair you were touched by madness before the start Peter !
    I didn't get to play in this game but the chaps involved were buzzing with excitement in their efforts to destroy the beast - it was a lot of fun to watch and the banter between the players and spectators was great to hear.
    Full credit to Matt for his efforts in creating this scenario and the painting of the beastie.

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Origins 2018 Role Call!!!
    By The Cowman in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-21-2018, 14:44
  2. 2018 Warbirds Over The Beach Airshow
    By richard m schwab in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-22-2018, 21:15
  3. Origins 2018
    By CappyTom in forum Officer's Club