Ares Games

Thread: Wings of Glory WW2 event flyer

Default Wings of Glory WW2 event flyer

BATTLE of BRITAIN DAY WINGS of GLORY TOURNAMENT

Kayjays Games & Hobbies presents a fun, relaxed afternoon of World War II dogfighting Wings of Glory action. Kayjays: 1/2D Parker Street, Footscray.

Wings of Glory is a World War II air combat miniatures game using 1/200 scale aircraft. Saturday 15th of September is Battle of Britain day in the UK and so is perfect for an afternoon of dog fighting - Spitfires v Messerschmitts, along with many other fighter planes.

Games begin at 1pm. Four games will be scheduled with a maximum 60 minutes per game.
    Standard Rules as detailed in the Wings of Glory rule book will be used (page 11) note this means altitude rules will NOT be used.
    Tailing Rule will be used (page 18).
    Aim Rule will be used (page 20).
    Ace Rules will be used (page 21).
    Rookie pilots and pre game damage are permitted.

Special Abilities will be used (page 22) and paid for according to the Ares Games point system (download from Ares Games website). The following special abilities are permitted:
    Lucky Pilot
    Strong Constitution
    Fire Expert
    Itchy Trigger Finger
    Perfect Aim
    Sniper
    Super Ace = 12 points
    Technical Eye = 7 points
    Squadrons are limited to 335 points based on Ares Games official points value chart (download from Ares Games website). Any Wings of Glory or Wings of War aircraft are welcome.

For example:
    • 2 X Messerschmitt Bf109 E-3 = 334 points
    • 2 X Supermarine Spitfire Mk I/II = 326 points
    • 2 X Mitsubishi A6M2 (Zero) = 312 points
    • 2 X Hawker Hurricane Mk I = 288 points

Bring your favourite fighter planes, movement deck, damage counters and range ruler.

WINGS OF GLORY DOGFIGHT SCENARIOS
    1. Straight up dog fight: aircraft are deployed anywhere on your own baseline. Players roll off to decide who begins deployment. Higher roll chooses who begins, then players alternate deploying one aircraft at a time.
    2. Delayed Wingman: wingman is deployed anywhere on your own baseline but leader is deployed one range ruler forward from wingman. Players dice to begin deployment. Optional: clouds.
    3. Random Deployment: aircraft are deployed as Leader/Wingman. Dice for entry point as follows; 1 - left side within a range ruler of corner, 2 - baseline within a range ruler of left corner, 3 - baseline at least a range ruler but no more than two rulers of left corner, 4 - baseline at least a range ruler but no more than two rulers of right corner, 5 - baseline within a range ruler of right corner, 6 - right side within a range ruler of corner. Optional: clouds.
    4. Defend the airfield: place your “airfield card” (represented by a red dot Ground Target Card) anywhere on your baseline, half a range ruler in and at least one ruler from sides. Aircraft are up patrolling and deployed using Random Deployment. An airfield can be destroyed by strafing (14 hit points, page 36) or bombing (page 38). A single engined fighter may carry one bomb. A multi-engined aircraft or dive bomber may carry two bombs.An airfield counts as 150 points. Optional: clouds.

Game duration: 60 minutes.
    Winning the game: the player who destroys all enemy aircraft or with the highest score at the end of the game wins.
    How to score points: for each enemy aircraft destroyed you score points equal to its value. Aircraft point values are listed on the Ares Games point system. Half-points are awarded for each enemy aircraft reduced to below half at the end of the game.

Any questions: michaelgriffiths302@gmail.com
    Last edited by Mick.G; 08-12-2018 at 05:58. Reason: Added details to scenarios.

For reference here is the link to the points chart http://www.aresgames.eu/downloads/archive

Thumbs up

Good Luck! Hope you have a most successful event.

Tickets are now on sale for this event only $10 each. Go to Kayjays Games & Hobby Cafe website or Facebook.

See you there.

Good luck, Mick.

I will be doing a Battle of Britain demo scenario at M-Con, on Battle of Britain Sunday, 16 September (Canada commemorates the battle on Sunday). It will be a mass battle, with me providing all the planes, as there aren't many WoG players on Vancouver Island. Supply here was two-ish stores, and wasn't plentiful back in the WoW days, and less so now. However, I endeavour to keep the game in the public eye.

I really like your plan for the 'rapid-fire' series of games, and I could put something similar together for my next Con appearance, using my personal hoard of planes.

Thanks for organizing the event, keeping the game in play, and I hope you sell out!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thanks Mike, will let you know how it goes

A question from a non tech person:- if I email a photo to someone on this forum, can they post my photo on the forum? I have a photo of the tournament trophies.

No problem Mick.
    If you PM me after I get back from my holiday next week I can give you any help with posting pictures you may need, unless someone jumps in before me.
    Meantime you could do worse than reading Gully Raker's directions posted here.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...Text-to-a-post

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Default Trophies for next week's Wings of Glory Battle of Britain WW2 tournament in Melbourne

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  200.2 KB

Thanks for the help mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick.G View Post
Views: 258
Size:  200.2 KB
    Cool trophies.

Replica shells?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Real shells, only not from a real WWII fighter unfortunately!

Excellent idea for trophy.
    Rob.

So close, yet so far! Wish I could make it - I've got a Stuka that's aching for some action...

Where are located Aidan?

Good trophies, Mick!

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Good trophies, Mick!
    Thanks mate.

Best wishes for a popular and exciting event. What calibre are those cartridges? I am thinking 5.56 mm NATO but not really sure.

They are 22/250, just what I had lying around. Next time I need to use a more appropriate caliber, I have had a few blokes ask what they are!

Good luck today Mick, wish I could be there! I look forward to reading the tournament report.

Default Some photos from the 2018 Victorian Wings of Glory WW2 Championship.

Views: 176
Size:  220.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  210.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  256.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  296.2 KB

Default Photos of Vic WoG WW2 Champs #2

Views: 166
Size:  272.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  225.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  289.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  289.9 KB

We had a small but hugely enthusiastic turnout to today's Victorian Wings of Glory WW2 Championship. It was an even split between Axis and Allied squadrons with many embracing the Battle of Britain theme. Most players flew two-plane squadrons but we had two single plane squadrons and one flight of three Gloster Gladiators. Most battles were close run things, with only a couple of massacres however, the winner scored consistently well in all four games. Congratulations goes to Django Upton for taking victory with his trio of Gladiators.
    Attached Images    

Very kind of you to show us the photos of your show Mick.
    I have a very soft spot for the Gladies as a lot of my WW" is based on Malta.
    My congratulations to the winner Django Upton for his handling of these aircraft.
    Rob.

Thumbs up

Well done Mick & congratulations on a successful Event.
    Great to see you had a good turnout & your players embraced the tourney.
    Thanks for the photos as well.
    Rep inbound & well done to the Gladiator Pilot.

Django planned a very effective squadron. His three Gladiators were each equipped with "Perfect Aim". This, combined with very good formation flying enabled him to inflict damage consistently during a large part of each game. Gladiators also have a very handy 90* turn which can put them on the tail of an unsuspecting faster fighter.

Competition wise, Django did enough in each game to win, although one was a narrow win. Evan (Xen on this forum) actually scored more points but lost one of his games.

Everyone present seemed to have a good time and agreed we should do this again. We will make this an annual or bi-annual event. We also tossed around a monthly meeting for campaigns or casual games.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-26-2017, 05:46
  2. National: Wings of Glory a Napoli - Wings of Glory in Neaples
    By Angiolillo in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2016, 02:02
  3. July Event - Wings of Glory July 23rd in Dayton, Ohio at The Game Haven
    By RickMartin in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2016, 10:41
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-22-2016, 09:11
  5. Wings of War event? What do you expect?
    By Vigfus in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-15-2009, 08:53