Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doncaster future events.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    ...Its a little sad that some feel that they have to provide "excuses" for not coming, and that they seem "hard to swallow"....
    I have to say that I've felt somewhat badgered to attend this event in the past and made to feel that I should provide an excuse for not doing so. That may not be the intention but that's what it feels like on the receiving end.
    Never say never but I don't see me attending anytime soon - unless the Origins discussion comes to fruition.
    Then I might have to.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Something that struck me in all of this is the idea that Donnie isn't well supported. From experience I'd like to suggest that, for a niche wargaming subject a helluvalong way from many UK members, and when compared with similar events aimed at other niches, it seems to be incredibly well attended and supported, something that the team should be very proud of as it certainly bucks the wargaming trend. To be honest its sometimes difficult to see where all that many extra players could "fit" - the place always seems crowded (and for an "on the spectrum" agoraphobic like me a bit scary at times). Its a little sad that some feel that they have to provide "excuses" for not coming, and that they seem "hard to swallow", and I'm sure it wasn't meant the way it sounded. I've not made all of the events to date, for a start my enthusiasm waxes and wanes, I have a family and sometimes I just can't afford it (for some the cost is trivial, for others it is the difference between a mediocre or decent set of meals for a month, so don't be too hard on the 200-odd members who don't make it).

Of course I'm not saying it should be limited, or that efforts to encourage more to come shouldn't happen, but I don't think Neil and co should be disheartened at the turnout, it really is most excellent.
    Got to agree 100% Dave . For a Forum only event we do pretty well. Not many games can have their designer turn up and join in the the festivities on a regular basis , and there is always an international contingent there to bolster the numbers , again something i think is unique to our gathering

. I personally am very grateful for the efforts the committee put in to make this an exceptional once a year event and long may it continue , at what ever venue .

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Hi John I'm signing in today to answer this important question.

I send out personal messages (PM's) to around about 200 to 250 of the UK membership every year about the annual bash at Doncaster. I sometimes get 10 to 15 replies, that does not include the steadfast group who turn up year after year. As for distances I can only say that I have traveled 4.5 hours each way (Yes a 9 hour drive) to assist at a show for 6 hours getting home around 10 to 11pm. Personal circumstances change but some excuses are hard to swallow and are not worthy a mention here. I have supported shows from London to Edinburgh and from York to Wales. There are others who travel further, one member came from Bristol to help out a very minor show in Leeds. Another from London area who came to the Armouries at Leeds for a special invite show.

What I am trying to say is that Doncaster is your weekend, yes the UK memberships weekend. It is exclusively for Forum Members many of whom who come are not from the UK. We publish dates 12 months, or as near to as we can, in advance. Giving all a chance to re-arrange schedules where they can. 4-5 wives come along and whilst we have a 'busmans' weekend they hit the shops and our wallets. (joking lads just joking...wouldn't want you to put off coming).

The UK is the most active section of the forum but Doncaster could and should be better supported. This year costs to individuals, other than travel and hotel, would be minimal due to our successful raffles. We hope to continue this in the future. Ares have supported us in past years with some excellent prizes for games and members bring along prizes to include too. But with out the support of, no the continued support of, the UK membership this will be impossible to put on year after year.

So if you haven't thought about it think about it, then try it. Games start Friday afternoon right through until Sunday afternoon with the biggest furball game you'll ever play in.

I shall now get off my horse/soapbox and apologise for wittering on so much about something I am so passionate about.

Skafloc.
    Hi Neil, I seem to have opened the flood gates, which wasn't my intention at all, and you seem to be directing your vitriol at me, which seems a bit strange. You will know of the 80/20 Pareto Principle and if you are getting apx 20% of the membership coming to Doncaster I think you are doing a bloody good job.
    I wasn't trying to imply that you could do better if you worked a bit harder at it, if that is what you thought I was implying, I am a bit surprised that if you are sending people a specific PM only 5% have the curtesy to reply, I find that a bit rude.

I imagine you have a lot of very casual Wings of Glory players on the forum and they just are not going to be as committed to promoting and playing the game as the keen core members are and so are unlikely to make an investment in time and money to come to Doncaster.
    Cheers

John this was not aimed at you, the YOU in the above referred to the UK membership as a whole. I was not getting at you just the apathy I've come across in answer to my many pm's over the last 4 years. Hence my handing over to another who can hopefully come at this from different angles and project some enthusiasm into the membership to support this weekend.

Some if not most of the UK Wing will go to at least 1 or possibly more wargames show up and down the country. The committee have always tried to 'sell' Doncaster as a Friday, Saturday or Sunday or part or full weekend. Even down to pop in for an hour if you can. It is never a 'YOU MUST COME FOR THE FULL WEEKEND'.

It is above all a fun weekend where members of the forum can play as many or as few games as they wish in a Air Museum setting.

Anyway I apologies if I offended you for that was not what I intended. I shall now head back to La La Land...................................................

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Its been a great 4 years, and I would encourage anyone to make the effort to meet with and game with one the of the finest collection of gentlemen it has been my provilidge to meet. Its always a case of the more the merrier, I don't think anyone is loaction precious but believe me we all appreciate being able to gather somewhere once a year and share our love for all things wings (and sails). Long may it continue, wherever it may be held....

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Got to agree 100% Dave . For a Forum only event we do pretty well. Not many games can have their designer turn up and join in the the festivities on a regular basis , and there is always an international contingent there to bolster the numbers , again something i think is unique to our gathering

. I personally am very grateful for the efforts the committee put in to make this an exceptional once a year event and long may it continue , at what ever venue .
    Here, Here!

widgeney

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Doncaster this year is Sept 21st to 23rd Ian.
    Rob.
    Oh Bu**er, nevermind. I will keep my eyes peeled for the next one
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 07-17-2018 at 12:33.

Well gents, I think that this subject has had a very good airing, so before it gets acrimonious I will take on board the suggestions which have been discussed, and thank you all for your input. I must admit that it has developed a life all its own and taken me to areas I never considered when I asked for a simple questionnaire to see if the membership were content with the status quo. Nevertheless, I decided to let the thread run and see where it took us. I am glad that I did because some very interesting and pertinent matters have been brought to light. All I now need to do is ask Simon for his vast quantities of submissions which I am sure he has been sent, and on the basis of that and the comments made here we will decide on a course of action for next year.
    Once again many thanks for your participation in this exercise.
    I will now close the thread until we have counted the results.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. The Future of future and past re-prints
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-23-2017, 15:12
  2. National Events 2014
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2014, 12:09
  3. National: Events Calendar
    By CappyTom in forum US Wing