Ares Games

Thread: Fire!

Default Fire!

I was wondering what the official line for taking damage is because you have caught fire on say your first card, and have a straight or two planned to come?
    I tend to play the the ruthless way of illegal maneuvers crash your plane, so does that mean (I would think so) that if you catch fire and have a straight to play then your pilot is cooked?
    Would you say that he is wounded for the first card then killed for the second?
    Cheers in advance.

Damage is not drawn until after the manoeuvre cards have been picked on the next turn Steven so the moves you have already planned don't come into it - but once on fire you cannot plan straights in the next turn. If you do so that would be an illegal move and your punishment would be instadeath.

"He is wise who watches"

Cheers Dave!

Steven; did you just shout Fire! in a crowded forum?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Karl: Yep! Watch 'em run!

well, that phrase has entirely different connotation amongst wargamers

The rules state that the flame chits are removed before revealing the first movement card. They also state that a plane cannot plan a straight while on fire.

Can you plan straights for the turn on which the last flame chit is removed?

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    The rules state that the flame chits are removed before revealing the first movement card. They also state that a plane cannot plan a straight while on fire.

Can you plan straights for the turn on which the last flame chit is removed?
    You are still on fire while plotting your turn so no straights can be planned. Also, if that last fire damage card has fire special damage, you reset back to three fire chits.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    ... Also, if that last fire damage card has fire special damage, you reset back to three fire chits.
    No you don't - only Explosions and numbers are counted in fire damage.
    If you get shot and take another fire damage card then you reset back to three chits.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    If you get shot and take another fire damage card then you reset back to three chits.
    Right. I've read these rules too many times. In the rules after the taking of fire damage effects the next paragraph says if a plane on fire draws a fire damage it will reset to 3 fire counters. That draw is only pertinent to being shot at, not as in taking the fire damage card after plotting. I wish these rules were written better.

Right. I've read these rules too many times. In the rules after the taking of fire damage effects the next paragraph says if a plane on fire draws a fire damage it will reset to 3 fire counters. That draw is only pertinent to being shot at, not as in taking the fire damage card after plotting. I wish these rules were written better.
    Yep, it's not the clearest is it !

"He is wise who watches"

I still think special damage should count from fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I still think special damage should count from fire.
    How would a fire jam it's guns?

How would a fire jam it's guns?
    Gun Jams are the obvious ones to avoid, although an overheated barrel could cause problems.

I count every special damage while on fire. Even jams. House ruling, of course.

further to the fire (duck) question. My lad raised a question last night, just before we collided and plummeted to the ground (twice) when you're on fire, does a side slip count as a on straight? yes, it's wiggly but you still finish up in the same direction. We ruled it as a straight and therefore couldn't be used but it's good to check at the font of all wisdom

Check the directional arrow on the card Iain... it might answer your question !

"He is wise who watches"

A sideslip is NOT a Straight.

Look at the bottom edge of the manoeuvre card - if there is a black arrow pointing forward (upward), it is a 'Straight'

A sideslip card has a black arrow, but it points to the left or the right.

In the event of a rudder jam, manoeuvres to the affected direction are prohibited - manoeuvres marked by the direction arrow.
    A sideslip cannot be both a 'Straight' and a left/right....................
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks for your help. I knew I'd come to the right (or left) place

You wouldn't want to (side) slip into bad habits Iain

"He is wise who watches"

You wouldn't want to (side) slip into bad habits Iain
    ...even if that is the Convent-ional thing to do!

I have heard a house rule that says you only have the fire go out on three consecutive "0"s. Any damage, not special either, taken means the plane is burning and will continue to burn. If you are really lucky, you take no damage in three turns, and the fire is out. If you aren't you take a bit of damage, but draw something on the third card. You take three more fire tokens, and draw another damage card on the next turn.

PS: Actually, the scenario above would have had the fire tokens restarted on any damage, not just the last of three turns.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 03-29-2020 at 08:47.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I have heard a house rule that says you only have the fire go out on three consecutive "0"s. Any damage, not special either, taken means the plane is burning and will continue to burn. If you are really lucky, you take no damage in three turns, and the fire is out. If you aren't you take a bit of damage, but draw something on the third card. You take three more fire tokens, and draw another damage card on the next turn.

PS: Actually, the scenario above would have had the fire tokens restarted on any damage, not just the last of three turns.
    Thats brutal.

I remember discussing with a friend the idea of having every fire damage card drawn (from being shot or from fire damage) give you 3 fire chits, not just reset you to 3. I thought that was tough but the version above sounds like it will usually mean if your power dive doesn't put it out your'll rarely survive a fire.

Thats brutal.

I remember discussing with a friend the idea of having every fire damage card drawn (from being shot or from fire damage) give you 3 fire chits, not just reset you to 3. I thought that was tough but the version above sounds like it will usually mean if your power dive doesn't put it out your'll rarely survive a fire.
    I have always played Fire on balloons wrong. On balloons, if you draw smoke or fire damage (a mis-remembering of Incendiary Rounds rules, so still wrong), after the first, you start a new track, not restart the old.

From Balloon Busters rules:
    Page 3
    Balloons ignore all types of special damage except for fire and explosions, with an exception: if you use the Incendiary Bullets rules (see page 5), the balloons should treat all smoke, rudder jammed, and engine damage results as if they were fire.
    Page 4
    Unlike airplanes, flame counters are never discarded from balloons. Instead, a balloon that is on fire takes a damage card every turn, until the balloon is destroyed or reaches the ground. If a balloon accumilates more than one fire damage, put a flame counter on it for each fire damage taken and draw an A card for each counter each turn.
    There was a reason WWI pilots feared fire. They were in a wood and doped canvas plane. Once a plane caught fire, it would usually burn up. Not as bad as a hydrogen-filled balloon, but bad. For Wings of Glory, as a game mechanic, and for playability, we have the rule of three damage cards over three turns. Possibly fatal, but not game ending. House rules are always an option, depending on whether you want a fun game, or a realistic simulation, or anything in between.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Balloons take if hard as they should. I've had balloons with 3 fires going. If they are not close to the ground when put on fire there is little hope of saving them.

Thinking the house rule about a plane burns until it draws 3 - 0s, I think thats too harsh. Maybe the fire does damage until a single 0 is drawn showing the fire went out? Then you don't have
    to worry about giving out fire chits.

I think we can come up with endless options!

Smile

I have always played it as I understand the rule.
    Take 3 fire chits---Take one A damage card at start of each turn--- If you are still flying after the third A Damage the Fire has gone out.
    Damage points or Explosions only NO special damage.
    Works for me & I think that is harsh enough.
    Why make it more complicated?

I have always taken the BOOM card to include a sudden, catastrophic fire that brings the pilot and plane down immediately without recourse to saving either.

No need for other "catastrophic fire" rules.

I have forgotten the answer to this question: "Can a Fokker D.VII legally play its 'prop hang' card whilst on fire?" I think that the answer is 'Yes' because it is like a stall and the card has no 'straight' icon.

If there is no "straight" icon, then it's not a "straight"!

Can't check the deck at the moment, I'm at work

The 'prop hang' card has neither the 'straight' nor the 'steep' icons, Tim. So, it sounds like the answer is 'Yes', as I thought.

i would think since it does not qualify as a straight preceding or postceding and immalman that it would not count as a straight for the purposes of fire.

Similar Missions

1. WoW Fire from the Sky
    By Rollover in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-12-2015, 14:39
  2. Fire from the Sky
    By Baxter in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-22-2015, 16:51
  3. WOW Fire From The Sky
    By LS650 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 8