Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What! No one's in the workshop this June?

Default What! No one's in the workshop this June?

I guess I can get things started again this June. Due to some delightful neuropathy my fingers and feet have not been very happy so the the dam works are delayed until I can hold a knife again, but meanwhile these arrived to entertain the elves . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180602_225304.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	248155

Looks like they seriously want to fold the whole set, maybe some in copper . . .

Relax, working on commissions still but will have photos up later this week.

New project in the works.
    HE 111 book (see last month)...check
    3 X HE 111 bases from the aerodrome store....Check
    3 X HE 111 models from AIM Arrived...check
    Decals for planes from AIM..check

Time to assemble and pegs for the stands....ummmm

Also got 2 ME 262's, a Betty bomber and stand, and a Defiant in hand with decals for all but the ME 262's

Maybe by months end will have something up barring 3 X SCA event weekends this month, and the load of commissions sitting on my paint table.

Lot's on the bench; nothing totally finished yet.
    Physical, mental and environmental issues
    But they all need finishing by next Monday, for Origins
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Like Karl, I, too, am under the Origins deadline gun...planes are ready to go but I have to finish up Cthulhu's base and finish painting the French coastline where he's due to appear.

And then we are moving in two days , so much of May has been taken up with SWMBO's admonishments to "get to work packing and pitching"...

I look forward to post-Origins opportunities to get back into modeling and painting!

All the best,
    Matt

I've got a bit of DH2 action going on............................

Name:	20180528_121001.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	248168

These will be 24 Squadron; Ares models for 'A' Flight, Shapeways for 'C' Flight.
    The weathered Shapeways DH2 with the top wing heart will remain as an "independent" plane. I am just repainting the struts and booms.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I have a few Origins items in the works. a pair of Albatros J.Is, some ship models I doubt I'll finish in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post

These will be 24 Squadron; Ares models for 'A' Flight, Shapeways for 'C' Flight.
    The weathered Shapeways DH2 with the top wing heart will remain as an "independent" plane. I am just repainting the struts and booms.
    Tim, those look amazing! I love the weathering on the “heart top” model! Adds that level of grit that I would expect of planes in that war environment! Nice job!

No pictures yet, but working on my poor-man’s storage and transport solution for my aircraft. Think WWI artillery crates and MG ammo boxes.

Hopefully something to show soon... if it looks good. I would prefer to just share my successes, not so much the failures. Tho maybe others can learn from my mistakes

Tim; I shouldn't be amazed anymore, but I still am
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I've just finished the first of a few Aviatik repaints for a fictional flik (images on the Aviatik repaint thread). I've got plenty to paint from a bunch of different games, maybe this month will see more done!

hahahahahha "a bit" he says!!!!!

Well back from Reading and nothing else happening until Historicon in July so have the whole month to work on the AIM planes I have.

Starting with a nice little C-47 kit, then repainting more he-111s, upgrading a couple of SBDs, and another set of Valom DR.Is

Name:	20180602_225429.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	248197

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Well back from Reading and nothing else happening until Historicon in July so have the whole month to work on the AIM planes I have.
    Not sure you saw my note but I have to cancel out of Historicon. Hopefully you can get a table and run a game or two.

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    Starting with a nice little C-47 kit, then repainting more he-111s, upgrading a couple of SBDs, and another set of Valom DR.Is

Name:	20180602_225429.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	248197
    That C-47 is very well done!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Looks like a bout of the DeHaviland Fever there, Tim! Beautiful work on those Gitterschwanz babies

And that C-47 is gorgeous, Bob - is it the Zvezda model modified or someone else's version of the plane?

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    ...Bob - is it the Zvezda model modified or someone else's version of the plane?

All the best,
    Matt
    It is a Hasegawa kit i got on eBay, the decal sheet indicated it was from the 90s. It makes a nice example, but I'll post something in the hobby section about the decals, and save unnecessary hair loss....

Just knocking the corners off Cpt Kiwi's Staaken for him.
    Only the decals to apply now.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I have 6 in mine, yours is great and with 12 more and you can have the whole squadron! LOL

Nice C-47. Is it 1/72 scale? I bought many of their 1/72 tanks when I was stationed on Okinawa. Back then paid $2.00 for them at the hobby store I went to. Never bought any planes just tanks.

Just received my latest order from Dave (AIM). 3 La 5's, 2 Pe 2 and 2 HS 129 B3's. I want to work on the HS129's so hope to get one done and post the photos.

Nice C-47. Is it 1/72 scale? I bought many of their 1/72 tanks when I was stationed on Okinawa. Back then paid $2.00 for them at the hobby store I went to. Never bought any planes just tanks.
    1/200. Mounted and ready for glider towing...

Good to know. I do have the ZVEZDA C47 which is built as a Russian plane. Didn't know Hasegewa made that scale.

Good to know. I do have the ZVEZDA C47 which is built as a Russian plane. Didn't know Hasegewa made that scale.
    I wonder what else they make
    Karl

Karl ZVEZDA is strange. The 2 engine planes are 1/200. Blenheim/C47 and Ju 88. The fighters are all 1/144.

I decided that I'm going to repaint and modify some of my Pegasus 1/72 tanks:

Name:	IMG_20180605_160332861.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	248359

Karl ZVEZDA is strange. The 2 engine planes are 1/200. Blenheim/C47 and Ju 88. The fighters are all 1/144.
    They also make a Ju 52 and Soviet SB 2 in 1/200.

indeed. im not sure why they didnt just go with 1 scale. i got a bunch of their 1/200 stuff as well as a few of their 1/144 stuff. i figure the 1/144 stuff will look alittle funny on the tabletop but still should be playable.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    indeed. im not sure why they didnt just go with 1 scale. i got a bunch of their 1/200 stuff as well as a few of their 1/144 stuff. i figure the 1/144 stuff will look alittle funny on the tabletop but still should be playable.
    IIRC, Zvezda has produced a war game, or at least rules for a game, and have produced models for that game. Then, they appear to have gone with a 'it fits in the box' production model. So, we have aircraft with no fixed scale. We benefit from the few 1/200 scale offshoots, and poach models that weren't intended for our (Wings of Glory) use.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I forgot about the Ju 52, since I have some of them. For the game they also make tanks(1/100 or 15 mm) and infantry (1/72). A strange system but good for gamers no matter what scale.

Nearly done with the repaint on this little Pegasus hobbies 1/72 schwerer kleiner panzer. Thought I'd do it in a DAK scheme. The decals on it are recycled from an old Tamiya kit.

Name:	IMG_20180605_203949430.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	248379

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    IIRC, Zvezda has produced a war game, or at least rules for a game, and have produced models for that game. Then, they appear to have gone with a 'it fits in the box' production model. So, we have aircraft with no fixed scale. We benefit from the few 1/200 scale offshoots, and poach models that weren't intended for our (Wings of Glory) use.

not poach, LIBERATE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter W. View Post
    Nearly done with the repaint on this little Pegasus hobbies 1/72 schwerer kleiner panzer. Thought I'd do it in a DAK scheme. The decals on it are recycled from an old Tamiya kit.

Name:	IMG_20180605_203949430.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	248379

is little big man the driver?

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    In the Zvezda game, each model has to fit within a standard hex on the board, so infantry are 1/72, tanks are 1/100, single engine planes are 1/144, twin engine planes 1/200.
    If Zvedza did four-engine planes, they would be 1/300 or so.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Go where the Spirit leads you.

Name:	IMG_20180606_123745.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	248385

Figures by Reaper Bones (with a few conversions using weapons also from the Kickstarter 3), airbrushed then drybrushed and washed.

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    1/200. Mounted and ready for glider towing...
    https://hlj.com/product/HSG10687/Air

2 C47s for around $25, shipping included.

Actually, I meant Hasegewa (their site has only passenger planes).
    I do know about Zvezda, and their understandable but frustrating scaling policy.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post

Name:	IMG_20180607_200504.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	166.2 KB 
ID:	248458
    That is quite fantastic Zoe! After all, everybody goes #2... even spectral shades

In the Zvezda game, each model has to fit within a standard hex on the board, so infantry are 1/72, tanks are 1/100, single engine planes are 1/144, twin engine planes 1/200.
    If Zvedza did four-engine planes, they would be 1/300 or so.
    Hmm, I'm feeling a strange need for a 1:600 Zeppelin-Staaken.

Default MvR Tripe Re-dux

Many years ago I repainted my Nexus MvR Tripe a brighter shade of red as the model's original paint job was nearly pink and didn't look quite right. A while ago I picked up another one cheaply that had a better, redder finish.
    Looking through the boxes the other day I decided that I couldn't have two so much the same so I painted over the markings of my earlier repaint and added the later markings. They're not quite right as I think the white borders were a tad wider on the real thing but they do make it look a whole lot better.

Name:	SAM_0262.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	229.5 KB 
ID:	248508

"He is wise who watches"

No planes painted this month yet, been busy making and painting some 28mm Afghan buildings for my Brits to chase the bad guys around

Compound with two Airfix 1/48 buildings

Drone's-eye view of the village

All made out of cork floor tile with MDF bases and dry-brushed, with a couple of domes from the local Hobbycraft store.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I wanted a simple, straightforward re-paint... so I'm doning this guy

Name:	images.jpeg 
Views:	116 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	248555Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Albatros D.V Page 22.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	248556Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180607_123051.jpg 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	248552Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180607_130931.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	248553Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180607_130942.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	248554

Quote Originally Posted by Gallo Rojo View Post
    I wanted a simple, straightforward re-paint... so I'm doning this guy

Name:	images.jpeg 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	248555Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Albatros D.V Page 22.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	248556Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180607_123051.jpg 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	248552Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180607_130931.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	248553Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180607_130942.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	248554
    If you think this is simple straight forward.... I'm afraid to ask what you think would be difficult!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    If you think this is simple straight forward.... I'm afraid to ask what you think would be difficult!

Impressive work Ezekiel. I looked at that aircraft some years ago and chickened out.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Impressive work Ezekiel. I looked at that aircraft some years ago and chickened out.
    Rob.
    I'm doing it with home printed decals ... but I've ran out decal paper
    Once I'm done and happy with the result I'll publish the decals I used on a word document some others can print it and do the plane

Saw this on the WoG Facebook page this morning and thought that was brave of you to paint it I'd be interested to see the decals once you have figured them out.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    No planes painted this month yet, been busy making and painting some 28mm Afghan buildings for my Brits to chase the bad guys around
    Top work Steve

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Gallo Rojo View Post
    I'm doing it with home printed decals ... but I've ran out decal paper
    Once I'm done and happy with the result I'll publish the decals I used on a word document some others can print it and do the plane
    That is very thoughtful of you Ezekiel.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. To Day is D Day 6th June!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-07-2016, 23:36
  2. Fresh out of Clipper's workshop.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 14:18
  3. And Then Games Workshop Went Completely Insane...
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 09-26-2013, 12:54
  4. Replies: 52
    Last Post: 08-05-2013, 16:33
  5. 6 June
    By McKeever in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 18:58