Ares Games

Thread: Experimental Mission

Default Experimental Mission

Hi everyone! I've thought up a mission, but I need your take on it.

Okay, a squad of 3 or 4 fighters (side doesn't matter right now) flying towards an enemy base (possibly an aerodrome) each carrying 1 25 pound bomb. I looked in the Flight Of The Giants rulebook and checked the bomb load list, and found that some fighters can carry a bomb load of about 36 Ibs or slightly more. Governing the "Full Load" optional rule I think that should apply to these fighters, but wear off when the bomb is dropped. I also think that they shouldn't be able to do Immelmanns, and also if they get engine damage before they drop the bomb...*bumbum, bumbum, bumbumbumbumbumbum*..... BOOM!!!

Anyway, back to the mission. I think there should be one less target card than the number of attacking fighters, so they can only afford to miss one target. Alighnment is not decided yet, so I will take ideas on that. If the base is an aerodrome, then the enemy planes should be on the ground and have to take off, and the playing surface should be slightly larger. If the base isn't an aerodrome, the playing surface should be smaller and the enemy planes should start in the air. Around the target cards I think there should be about 2 AA cannons (all in all, not around each). From there, I guess the battle should be the battle and planes should go boom.

Any comments, suggestions, and critizisms are encouraged, and will be accepted and acknowledged.

Hunter
    Last edited by Aero825; 01-14-2011 at 21:11.

Oh yeah, and 1 bomb should take out 1 target card.

Interesting concept. Fighters with bombs . . .

I think it could be fun, especially since each fighter has a responsibility to take out a target. If each plane is controlled by a seperate player then it should be fun to see how the communication goes for choosing targets.

Depending on the number of targets, gotta be careful not to have too many AA guns in a small area. In other words, spread out the targets.

Not sure what you mean by "alignment not decided yet". Guess I'll go downstairs and ask you . . .

Upstairs you mean, and what I meant was where the target cards are placed, what dirction they are facing, etc.

Depending on the type and number of planes defending your target, the attacking planes are likely to be slaughtered until they are able to drop their bomb load... so you may have to work on the scenario balance...

I can't really see anything wrong with it... I like it as a scenario!
    Last edited by The Cowman; 12-17-2010 at 18:40.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Hun in the sun

I like that idea. How many enemy fighters were you thinking of?

Probably the same number of enemies with lesser planes, because you also have those AA guns. There hopeless, I know, but one one hit downed one of my planes with 10 health left. Never know.

Hunter, to balance the score, all planes defending must "scramble." Meaning they have to roll a 5 or 6 on a 1d6 to take off, then they have to go through the entire take off sequence (straight, stall, climb, I think) and only 1 aircraft can takeoff at a time. THis will give the attackers a little more time and make it more historical. ...... sort of.

I didn't know what that meant until now, thanks Charlie! Does the rolling start at that beggining of the game? By the way, take off is Stall, Straight, Climb; and Landing is Dive, Straight, Stall.

Quote Originally Posted by Aero825 View Post
    I didn't know what that meant until now, thanks Charlie! Does the rolling start at that beggining of the game? By the way, take off is Stall, Straight, Climb; and Landing is Dive, Straight, Stall.
    Shouldn't take-off realistically be Straight, Climb, Stall??? Kinda hard to Stall from a stand still... :-P
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

When the stall is executed, the plane is still on the ground. The straight is the plane getting faster (still on thr ground), and the climb is the plane getting into the air.

Similar Missions

1. Combat Mission Log
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 22:26
  2. Multiplayer: Another Mission
    By Anav in forum WGS: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2010, 14:11
  3. do you use a mission tree?
    By Kiwi_Ace in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 9