Ares Games

Thread: OTTBE Mission 22 - Der Kaiser muss es wissen! (The Kaiser Must Know!) - 23rd Sep 1918

Post OTTBE Mission 22 - Der Kaiser muss es wissen! (The Kaiser Must Know!) - 23rd Sep 1918

Following the stunning success of the Allies offensives in August, especially that of General John Monash & the Australian Division the German Lines have been breached & they are falling back in disarray. A further defeat followed at Epehy on the 18th & 19th of September.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BRF Epehy.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	247944

This was closely followed by the capture of the German strong-point at Ascension Farm.The Germans must now rally behind the Hindenburg Line.

Name:	BRF Epehy Ascension Farm.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	247945

With their forces being continually over run German High Command knew it was imperative to discover just how far the British & Commonwealth troops had penetrated behind their lines. A directive was issued that photographs of the area along & behind the last known German positions must be obtained "AT ALL COSTS"!
    The Allies have achieved Aerial Superiority & numbers; the Germans are suffering from supply & fuel problems.

The Mission requires two German 2 seaters to patrol & photograph the area at & behind their last known trench positions.

You will need 2 WoG mats joined at their long edges. Preferably one should be the No Mans Land mat & the other the Countryside or Industrial complex mat. The NML mat is the British area & the other mat the German area.
    If you do not have the No Mans Land one you will need to show two trench lines 1/2 ruler on the British side of the mat.
    At this point on the LHS edge of the mat 1/2 ruler in from the join you need to place a marker as shown in picture below.

Name:	BRF 2.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	247950

You will require the following Aircraft:

German
    1 x Hannover Cl IIIa at Altitude 5 & 1 x Rumpler C.IV at Altitude 4 plus one Rotary engined Scout preferably a Fokker EV or D.VIII or a SSW D.III (if desperate you could use a Fokker Triplane all at Altitude 4. If you do not have the nominated German 2 seaters replace with what you have.

British
    Opposing will be 2 x SE 5a's or Sopwith Dolphins & a pair of newly arrived Sopwith Snipes for evaluation. If you have no Snipes you could use 2 x Nieuport 28's or a pair of Camels all at Altitude 4.

THE SET UP

Place the 2 German 2 seaters at the edge of the centre of the German mat 1/2 ruler apart & the scout a further 1/2 ruler away on their LHS. Angle the aircraft towards the Marker Point on the NML mat.

Name:	BRF 1.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	247961

Name:	BRF 3.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	247963

The 2 SE 5a's will start from the Center of the edge of the NML mat 1 ruler apart.

Name:	BRF 4.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	247964

The Snipes will enter on Turn 3 from the middle of the RH edge of the NML mat 1/2 ruler apart.

Name:	BRF 5.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	247965

The Mission

Using the reduced deck shown below the 2 German Photo planes will fly to the point marked & then after exiting the mat at that point will proceed to fly across the trench lines using the same 3 cards except exchanging the straight card for a stall. The cards should be shuffled after each turn & placed face down until placed on the game surface. Both aircraft will use these 3 cards from the Rumpler's deck & fly as a pair. The Scout will use its deck normally.
    Having flown across the mat & after exiting the other edge they will then return to the marker point & then after exiting will try to return to the German edge using all their normal manoeuvre cards as quickly as possible. You cannot shoot at the German Aircraft when they have exited the mat.

Name:	BRF 6.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	247976

Special Rules for this Mission

The German 2 Seaters will not be forced to return early if they suffer a Pilot Wound or Engine Damage due to their Orders to Succeed at All Costs.

After the Scout reaches the Trench area every second turn it will roll a D6 to see if it suffers from an overheating engine caused by the ersatz oil replacement in its rotary engine. On a Roll of 1 the Aircraft must try to return to base ASAP.

Victory Conditions

The Germans will win a Major Victory if both 2 Seaters return to base.
    It will be a Draw if only one German 2 Seater makes it home
    It will be a British Victory if both German 2 seaters are shot down
    The German Scout will have no bearing on the Victory Conditions.

Hope that is clear
    If you have any queries please reply & I will answer as quickly as possible.
    Good Luck & Good Hunting!
    Last edited by flash; 05-30-2018 at 00:25. Reason: Title adjust

Looks like an interesting one, Baz.
    I finally get to try out my Snipes!

Taking Friday off to fly this one.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Looks interesting Barry. I will be using placeholders for most of the planes as I don't have any SE5As, Hannovers or Rumplers.
    What do you consider exiting the mat? Do they just have to cross to the marker go off the side of the mat, then turn around reenter the mat at the same point and then try to make it home?

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    ...What do you consider exiting the mat? Do they just have to cross to the marker go off the side of the mat, then turn around reenter the mat at the same point and then try to make it home?
    As I read it Dale the aircraft leave the mat at the marker - re-enter the mat at the same point - fly across the mat on their photo run - exit the mat on the opposite side - re-enter the mat at the point they left - fly a second run back to the 1st marker point and then try to exit the German mat edge.... I think !

Questions:
    Baz - firstly, is my interpretation above correct ?!
    Is there a turn around time once the German machines leave the table ? ie do we leave them off for a game turn or two or x number of manoeuvre phases ?
    On the photo run - if we shuffle the three cards there is a likelyhood that we will get stall/stall between phases - do you want to ignore that or just swap the cards round if it comes up ? (eg SS-L / SS-R / Stall; Stall / SS-L / SS-R)#

Thanks for posting the mission promptly.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    As I read it Dale the aircraft leave the mat at the marker - re-enter the mat at the same point - fly across the mat on their photo run - exit the mat on the opposite side - re-enter the mat at the point they left - fly a second run back to the 1st marker point and then try to exit the German mat edge.... I think !

Questions:
    Baz - firstly, is my interpretation above correct ?!
    Is there a turn around time once the German machines leave the table ? ie do we leave them off for a game turn or two or x number of manoeuvre phases ?
    On the photo run - if we shuffle the three cards there is a likelyhood that we will get stall/stall between phases - do you want to ignore that or just swap the cards round if it comes up ? (eg SS-L / SS-R / Stall; Stall / SS-L / SS-R)#

Thanks for posting the mission promptly.
    Hi Dave your interpretation is 100% correct. There is no time delay once they exit the mat. They recommence at the start of the next turn if they exit mid turn.
    Does not really matter re the Stall provided they play one Stall per turn. It is to represent taking photos & should a stall start the next turn after a stall then it just might catch the attackers out of position!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Ok , thank you both for the clarification.

Snipes make their appearance, very nice. Being on the other side I don't like the prospects of this mission for the Eagles!

Kiss of death to whichever Eagle scout gets assigned.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Kiss of death to whichever Eagle scout gets assigned.
    Oh ye Eagles of Little Faith!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Oh ye Eagles of Little Faith!
    One scout with a wonky engine vs 2 Snipes and 2 SE.5as
    Just being a realist

Smile

One scout with a wonky engine vs 2 Snipes and 2 SE.5as
    Just being a realist
    Yeah but 2 tough 2 seaters with a sting in their tail & no forced return to base.

Nice mission Baz - I take it that the victory conditions (
    The Germans will win a Major Victory if both 2 Seaters return to base.
    ) only apply if the two seaters return having completed both photo runs i.e. not if they return on an over heating engine, or does that count too?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Nice mission Baz - I take it that the victory conditions () only apply if the two seaters return having completed both photo runs i.e. not if they return on an over heating engine, or does that count too?
    I think only the German scout has overheating trouble.

Aaah OK Peter, thanks. Missed that point

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Nice mission Baz - I take it that the victory conditions () only apply if the two seaters return having completed both photo runs i.e. not if they return on an over heating engine, or does that count too?
    Mike the 2 seaters are not affected by overheating. Only the Rotary engined scout.
    Plus the 2 seaters ignore the normal effect of Engine damage or Pilot wound forcing them to return to base.

Question for the 2-Seaters :

What if they are set on fire?
    Must they stick to the three cards and suffer additional "A" damage for every straight?
    Or can they plot a turn to avoid extra damage?

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	248134

Okay - it's no longer hypothetical ...

First shot and the Rumpler is on fire.

Until I hear otherwise I am going to roll a D6 for the Straight:
    1-2 Left Turn
    3-4 Straight (and subject to additional damage)
    5-6 Right Turn
    If a turn is placed the next turn I will place the opposite turn card to keep the aircraft roughly on track,
    The following turn I will roll again.
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 06-01-2018 at 18:15. Reason: Situation Changed

Well it's done ...

This one sure made up for my previous Decisive Victory.

It's definitely a tough one for the Eagles - especially with terrible card draws.

One thing that seems to be confusing is what to do with the Entente aircraft when the Eagle 2-Seaters exit. (both times)
    It was tough to figure out what to do with them - kinda like cavalry after a charge.
    I fiddled around trying to keep them just on/off the table edge.

I think maybe they should also exit, sit out one turn and then come back on where they left the table.

Just replace the straight with a stall and there would be no extra fire damage.

Question for the 2-Seaters :

What if they are set on fire?
    Must they stick to the three cards and suffer additional "A" damage for every straight?
    Or can they plot a turn to avoid extra damage?

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	248134

Okay - it's no longer hypothetical ...

First shot and the Rumpler is on fire.

Until I hear otherwise I am going to roll a D6 for the Straight:
    1-2 Left Turn
    3-4 Straight (and subject to additional damage)
    5-6 Right Turn
    If a turn is placed the next turn I will place the opposite turn card to keep the aircraft roughly on track,
    The following turn I will roll again.

Smile

Well it's done ...

This one sure made up for my previous Decisive Victory.

It's definitely a tough one for the Eagles - especially with terrible card draws.

One thing that seems to be confusing is what to do with the Entente aircraft when the Eagle 2-Seaters exit. (both times)
    It was tough to figure out what to do with them - kinda like cavalry after a charge.
    I fiddled around trying to keep them just on/off the table edge.

I think maybe they should also exit, sit out one turn and then come back on where they left the table.
    G'day Pete!
    Your decision on the Fire is fine by me. Had not considered the implications of a Fire. If you wanted to save your crew you could run for home but that makes a Victory pretty darn difficult. As Peter said you could have just replaced the Straight with a Stall.
    I would have been happy to allow you to just use the L & R turns but you would have to have played a Stall to take the Pics once you reached the Lines.
    Re the Allied Scouts: Once the Germans 2 seaters had exited off their home mat edge the Game Ends unless you wanted to keep fighting the German Scout although that has no effect on the Victory Conditions. The Allied Aircraft can just disngage & are presumed to RTB.

Hope that is clear.

Looking forward to reading your AAR!

P.S. Fire can really give you a bad day.

Baz
    I meant when the Eagles leave the mat at the marker, and then again when they reach the opposite side to turn for a second stroll down the trench line.

Lightbulb

Baz
    I meant when the Eagles leave the mat at the marker, and then again when they reach the opposite side to turn for a second stroll down the trench line.
    Ah! Sorry!
    They should just "lurk" around as the 2 seaters should only be off the table for 1 or 2 cards at the most & you would have already chosen the Allied cards for that turn.
    When they return in the next turn your enemy should be expecting them to return in the same vicinity from where they left.
    Sort of like flying off into a cloud or mist & then coming back.

You could always "Play it again Pete" if you have the time & inclination!

They should just "lurk" around
    That's basically what I ended up doing.

Just replace the straight with a stall and there would be no extra fire damage.
    I realized that when fire again raised its ugly head on the return trip.

It will be interesting to see how the other Eagles do in this one.
    As it turned out the die roll for my 'Eagle Scout' never came into play ...

Smile

That's basically what I ended up doing.

I realized that when fire again raised its ugly head on the return trip.

It will be interesting to see how the other Eagles do in this one.
    As it turned out the die roll for my 'Eagle Scout' never came into play ...
    Are you sure you were fighting Bulldogs & not the Dragon Squadron?

Are you sure you were fighting Bulldogs & not the Dragon Squadron?
    Nah the Welsh Dragons are saving themselves for the other Peter (Teaticket)

With fire at that stage of the game I would replace the straight with a random sideslip just to keep the speed up, on the photo run it sorts itself.

Question for Baz, does it matter what formation the Germans come back on for the photo run ? Should they remain in line abreast or can they run it line astern or in echelon ? Just thinking that in the off table turn they might shake out and re-appear on the table differently.

Exclamation

With fire at that stage of the game I would replace the straight with a random sideslip just to keep the speed up, on the photo run it sorts itself.

Question for Baz, does it matter what formation the Germans come back on for the photo run ? Should they remain in line abreast or can they run it line astern or in echelon ? Just thinking that in the off table turn they might shake out and re-appear on the table differently.
    You could do that Dave however my idea was that they would support each other better by flying abreast with one at one altitude higher.
    Would prefer they do not fly line astern.

OK Baz

"Ready?"

"Yep, ready!"

Name:	IMG_20180602_151600.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	228.9 KB 
ID:	248137

"Ja, wir sind bereit!"

Name:	IMG_20180602_151454.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	255.5 KB 
ID:	248138

"Right then, on my mark!"

Name:	IMG_20180602_153255.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	248139

Thought I would share something I decided to do this time out.
    I took a photo of every character's card at the end of each turn showing their situation and moves.

Name:	Moves.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	248140

These won't be used in the AAR, but are more for me to be able to backtrack if I notice error/omissions.
    That did come in handy on at least one occasion this time around. ...

You could do that Dave however my idea was that they would support each other better by flying abreast with one at one altitude higher.
    Would prefer they do not fly line astern.
    Roger that, might slip into echelon, I'll see how it goes, might be after Origins though.

Thumbs up

Roger that, might slip into echelon, I'll see how it goes, might be after Origins though.
    No sweat there Dave!
    I still have one more to catch up on before I get to fly M22.
    Most important you get into training for Origins.

Thumbs up

Thought I would share something I decided to do this time out.
    I took a photo of every character's card at the end of each turn showing their situation and moves.

Name:	Moves.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	248140

These won't be used in the AAR, but are more for me to be able to backtrack if I notice error/omissions.
    That did come in handy on at least one occasion this time around. ...
    That's a neat idea Pete!

Most important you get into training for Origins.
    Yea Dave - Need some help?

95 has been exercising for the last few weeks

Hi Barry, The trench lines runs south to north and end at the marker. I've played the mission and had planes go down on the British (Left) side of this line. For the Butchers tally is this no mans land or British territory. Sorry if this a dumb question because I know that it is a no mans land mat, but I'm just not sure if it is the current no mans land.
    Cheers

John - I went with the actual map, not the trench line.

One of mine went down on the NML map, the other I classed as Friendly Territory (not that it made any difference in my case)

John - I went with the actual map, not the trench line.

One of mine went down on the NML map, the other I classed as Friendly Territory (not that it made any difference in my case)
    That's OK for you, but I'm flying for the British and there is no friendly territory in that case. , OK I'll go with that, but any deaths will be on your head.

Pete another question, if a pilot is shot and wounded but flies off the table and therefore returns to base, is that an automatic "Landed Safely in Aerodrome +3 Made it" when checking crash and wounds table. ?
    Cheers

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

John,
    If a pilot is wounded and escapes the battle you give him a +3 RTB on his crash and wound results.
    Example: Crash and Wound Rolled 7 -1WIA +3 Return To Base = 9 9 equals All's well when you land well.

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    John,
    If a pilot is wounded and escapes the battle you give him a +3 RTB on his crash and wound results.
    Example: Crash and Wound Rolled 7 -1WIA +3 Return To Base = 9 9 equals All's well when you land well.
    Thanks Dale you just saved a life.
    Cheers

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Hi Barry, The trench lines runs south to north and end at the marker. I've played the mission and had planes go down on the British (Left) side of this line. For the Butchers tally is this no mans land or British territory. Sorry if this a dumb question because I know that it is a no mans land mat, but I'm just not sure if it is the current no mans land.
    Cheers
    G'day John! From the point of view of the Mission the German trenches had been over run in the British/Australian advance hence the reason for the Mission.
    I would consider anything behind the second line of German Trenches would now be Allied Territory & NOT No Mans Land.

G'day John! From the point of view of the Mission the German trenches had been over run in the British/Australian advance hence the reason for the Mission.
    I would consider anything behind the second line of German Trenches would now be Allied Territory & NOT No Mans Land.
    That's a fine interpretation of your mission Barry, one I like much better than Pete's No offence meant Pete. Thanks for the quick reply, hopefully finish the mission report soon, it is quite long .

I got quite attached to my pilots, on both sides, during the game, they are developing personalities and I'm looking forward to them being able to fly in the future. Well those who can.
    Cheers

Hi Barry,

Just playing mission 22 today. I take it that the stall cards for the two seaters indicate the observers are takng photos and cannot engage enemy with their MGs? Or can you choose to shoot rather than photograph?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Hi Barry,

Just playing mission 22 today. I take it that the stall cards for the two seaters indicate the observers are takng photos and cannot engage enemy with their MGs? Or can you choose to shoot rather than photograph?
    Hi Carl.
    Obviously if threatened the Observer could choose to shoot but would also need to get some needed photos so make a choice appropriate to the danger & Mission.

Thanks Barry. Did not become an issue as it turned out.

A very bloody affair this one, 70% of aitcraft failed to return

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Thanks Barry. Did not become an issue as it turned out.

A very bloody affair this one, 70% of aitcraft failed to return
    Looking forward to reading your AAR Carl!

Similar Missions

1. BRF OTTBE Mission 20 - Albert to Bapaume - 23rd August 1918
    By Setarius in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-16-2018, 06:32
  2. AAR Early Doors Mission 22. The Last Waltz. (The Kaiser's revenge.) Eagles
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-29-2016, 08:39
  3. AAR Early Doors Mission 22. The Last Waltz. (The Kaiser's revenge.) Bulldogs.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-10-2016, 17:19
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-01-2016, 16:27
  5. AAR Mission 15a:" Lets finish what we started.....Kaiser's don't quit!"
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-27-2013, 06:34