Ares Games

Thread: Landing

Users Country Flag

Name
    Curtis
    Sorties Flown

Default Landing

New to the game. Landing rules page 18 are not helpful.

I was playing a game yesterday and took damage 12 out of 13 and was on fire. Rather than lose the a/c I decided to land. Is this viable? I drew the A card getting a 0 additional damage and landed, jumped out of the a/c. What other options do I have. We were doing a campaign and did not want to give up pts for the a/c or loss of the pilot. How do you put out fires?

Landing is viable if you have set aside somewhere to do so and can survive long enough to get down Curtis.
    Most people just fly out of the battle area - ie off the mat and, having taken into account any outstanding fire damage, the assumption is made they get back to base in one piece.
    You can attempt to put out fires by performing an overdive; drawing from the B deck & discarding the number of fire tokens as shown on the damage card. of course there are a lot of zero's in the B deck ! The particulars of this rule are on p.16 of the rules.

"He is wise who watches"

Landing requires you to be flying at altitude level 1 and then play a dive card. If the centre of the aircraft's base is inside the boundary o fthe landing field, then you have touched down (otherwise you crash). Next, you must play a straight move and finally a stall move. If at any point your the centre of your plane's base goes outside the landing field, you crash.

However, if your aeroplane is on fire, you are not allowed to plan a straight move, so you cannot legally plan the second move of the landing procedure and you would have to suffer the penalty for an illegal manoeuvre when you made the straight move. In the W.W.2 version of the game your plane would be immediately eliminated. This can also happen in the W.W.1 version.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Curtis
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the help here, as I learn the game there may be more questions and hopefully I am not a total dunce.

We tend to play that if you can get it down on your own airfield then your ground crew have seen you on the approach and are standing by with extinguishers to put out the fire and get repairs underway.
    If you land anywhere else then just get the crumpets out and toast them on your burning aircraft while awaiting rescue!

Similar Missions

1. Any landing...
    By zenlizard in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-26-2017, 13:02
  2. good landing
    By hawkhurst in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-22-2015, 23:37
  3. Landing Procedures.
    By Mau Fox in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 19