Ares Games
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any new news?

That has to rate as one of the crappiest apologies going... if you're not buying anything else from Ares you get nothing. So thanks for nothing Ares.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Sad thing is my game store wanted me to run a demo game back in August when we figured it would be here. 4 months later still waiting due to the Moe, Larry, and Curly production company out of China. Massive delay on the KS, No new product out in months, lack of stock of existing products on store shelves....sigh makes one really wonder on the life expectancy of the game as a whole. We may all there is folks...and it ain't enough to keep the game going.

Wonder how long it will be till Warlords comes up with a WWI game in the same scale and dumps proper scale planes out for it. At this point unpainted ones would work.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    That has to rate as one of the crappiest apologies going... if you're not buying anything else from Ares you get nothing. So thanks for nothing Ares.
    As others have said, "This will be my last Ares Kickstarter."

I am also markedly unimpressed.
    Unfortunately for Ares I now have sufficient kit to play all the games at any level I wish to without having to trouble their manufacturers ever again once my Tripods arrive. I had no intention to expand them anyway. As you may have gathered from this I am now slightly miffed.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Love it!
    Ares "Hey folks, if you fancy buying some of our games you can at a cheaper rate! You can thank the poor schmucks who bought Tripods and Triplanes on KS for this discount! That is all."

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol View Post
    Supreme Invasion Commander Marvin: Look, Look, earth is in opposition. Why have we not launched the fleet? It should have been launched months ago!
    Imperial Unterflunky Martin: Design parameters were too ambitious, production logjams, foreign construction crews on Jupiter went on strike, random meteor showers, George Pal creating unrealistic expectations, and a wascally wabbit stole our Illudium Pu-36 Explosive Space Modulator.
    Marvin: The excrement hit the Oscillating Localized Atmospheric Accelerator?
    Uncle Martin: Indeed.
    Marvin Huffing and puffing as the Earth Sails By Unmolested: You make me so angry!

Yup, that will join in on my running Hollywood commentator series on the Kickstarter...
    This is the best rant yet. Is it wrong to rep for this?!

Rep incoming, or is that rather tasteless in the case of the Martian invasion force?
    I rep him anyway.
    Rob.

It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Another good laugh Karl.
    Rob.

Matt! Matt Damon! Any comment from the Ares III mission?

“Look - Tripods!”

~~
    / | \

“Haha - Just kidding. But hey - I’m gonna get a discount on the Ares IV mission.”

“Assuming I’m still alive...”

(Yes, I’m aware the movie didn’t show what he typed - read the book!)
    ;-)
    Last edited by Dawn Patrol; 11-22-2018 at 11:26.

Was this an Ares Kickstarter or a Kick Ares starter

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    As you may have gathered from this I am now slightly miffed.
    " I want you to know that I am very very angry."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71DDCzp93NL._SX425_.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	258314

Actually including one of those figurines in each KS order wouldn't cost much more than their discount coupon...

Including a random WWI aircraft that are not good sellers would cost even less.

Just remember that they're under no obligation to do anything. I feel the offering of a discount on other products was a mis-step, caused by Ares being primarily a boardgame manufacturer. They still don't 'get' their market. Still, at least they're selling Wings of Glory. When Nexus went bust (remember that?) that looked iffy. So I for one am grateful for small mercies, while still encouraging them to speed up the glacial pace of new aircraft series production.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Kick Arse? (ours)
    Last edited by Teaticket; 11-22-2018 at 19:06.

Glacial pace of production in a day of global warming, which will prevail? I have determined a more quantum approach, thrive on uncertainty make your own fun and share with others while you can. 500 minis in the garage, no one near, fewer far. I am making my collection available on loan to those needing what is not available for now. They may help bridge the gap, may not. "KEEP 'EM FLYIN'"! As for Mars, they were always an alien event beyond the horizon, i would say they were an unexpected diversion while those nasty toasters crept along and boosted the moral of the bankers. Daybreak may come on canvas wings, but not yet. But soon, soon the light . . . persist in hope, engage the engines! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frenchmagazine.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	258315

If not for the research delay, they should have added a few Tripod ace cards as a way of saying Sorry.

The Tripods have Ace cards???

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post

i believe it started as the former and metamorphed into the latter.

It would be fairer, if they gave subscribers a $15 refund.

Or even an extra model.
    Rob.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I guess this might be another reminder of just how 'niche' our beloved game is, particularly when you balance the parallel development of BGS and the Sword & Sorcery KS which just ended. I think Ares does way more business in their non-historical games than in Wings or Sails, and I'm not so sure that Tripods & Triplanes will generate that much cross-pollination of interest in non-historical gamers, particularly if the 'iconic' types of planes/historical product aren't as available as they 'should' be...

I, too, was rather non-plussed by the most recent T&T update - as Zoe mentions above, the 'deal' they offered suggests Ares still doesn't get this section of their market. Certainly, the fact that they are such a small company plays into the mix. Or perhaps it's just that this section of their market has been relegated to the back seat and may soon find itself in the boot. If this is the case, then maybe Ares does get this section of their market and the best we can hope for is a dribble every so often of things to maintain the interest in the die-hard fans of the game. As essentially a board game company, Ares is going with what 'sells', regardless of how much we would urge them to reissue planes we 'know' would sell. Like others elsewhere have said, the 'Chinese factor' is a definite wrench in the works, and Ares's size (or lack thereof) is likely a larger variable than we'd like in the equation. It's almost a 'perfect storm' - company size + Chinese production + market share + fan base = frustration...

Those of us who don't mind Shapeways and repainting and scratch-building are certainly not locked in to only waiting for Ares to fill the void, and that's a good thing, by and large. This forum also goes a long way to making the wait more bearable - there is so much great information and great inspiration here to discover and share and enjoy And where T&T is concerned...like Rob, I have made my 'investment' in the game variation and see little chance/desire of expanding my initial "total war" choice. Depending on which planes actually make it into 'regular stock' from the release, I will likely purchase extras for repaint purposes, but I don't see myself buying lots of tripods to repaint or have in 'squadrons'...

And yet, I look forward to a perhaps more positive "People of Earth" Product Update #20...

All the best,
    Matt

Could be worse - you could have backed Acheson’s Primeval KS, which is currently running 15 months behind it’s delivery schedule and still no end in sight.......

Lots of excuses (including “too hot to cast properly”, “too cold to cast properly”, still waiting for moulds - this after saying they had all the moulds!) and no real apology. So, I’m pretty laid back about the Martians late arrival TBH, as it will give me time to paint my Cruel Seas stuff when it arrives. But like others I will view other Ares kickstarters with a jaundiced eye. Lucky for us BSG wasn’t a KS...
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Or the Traveller RPG movie KS which seems to have disappeared without trace.....

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I just did a comparison of Tripods & Triplanes with the just concluded (Wednesday) Swords & Sorcery KS projects, and the results are illuminating...

Min $$ amount - Tripods & Triplanes was 30K versus Swords & Sorcery at 150K

Amt raised - Tripods brought in $119,317 versus Swords $684,125

# of days - Tripods and Triplanes ran for 22 while Swords and Sorcery lasted only 16

# of backers - T&T garnered 915 as S&S was ensnaring 5275

% funded - Tripods came in at 397% of its goal, but Swords amassed 456% of what it needed

I think this indicates our postition rather nicely, particularly when one considers the total money raised to fund T & T, even with 387% funding, was still $30,683 less than the minimum funding for the latest version of S & S.

I believe this reinforces why patience is always looked at as a virtue...

Always the best,
    Matt (ever-patient...)
    Last edited by matt56; 11-23-2018 at 13:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Could be worse ...
    Yes - did expect anybody the KS project in time?

Keep calm.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I didn't expect it to be on time - but I'm not sure I expected delays of several months either....

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    I just did a comparison of Tripods & Triplanes with the just concluded (Wednesday) Swords & Sorcery KS projects, and the results are illuminating...

Min $$ amount - Tripods & Triplanes was 30K versus Swords & Sorcery at 150K

Amt raised - Tripods brought in $119,317 versus Swords $684,125

# of days - Tripods and Triplanes ran for 22 while Swords and Sorcery lasted only 16

# of backers - T&T garnered 915 as S&S was ensnaring 5275

% funded - Tripods came in at 397% of its goal, but Swords amassed 456% of what it needed

I think this indicates our postition rather nicely, particularly when one considers the total money raised to fund T & T, even with 387% funding, was still $30,683 less than the minimum funding for the latest version of S & S.

I believe this reinforces why patience is always looked at as a virtue...

Always the best,
    Matt (ever-patient...)

certainly illuminating.

what saddens me is, when i got into the game in 2013 into 2014 there seemed to be genuine buzz about wings of glory. plenty from non historical and even non gamers. there seemed a lot of potential for growth. then, largely through lack of product, ive seen this wane into a niche game. there still seems to be plenty of interest from new players, from what i see at origins. it just seems the will to grow the game beyond its niche just isnt there.

Best thing WoG could do would be to reprint the card decks from WoW. Rather then keeping a lock on maneuver decks and stands, let us go shapeways for our models. It would make the game more playable to non collectors or the normal crowd and help rebuild the game. As it is now there is no where for new players to start. They get the box set and MAYBE a few random planes and they are done. No chance for the game to really grow, no incentive for hobby shops to keep it in stock, and little hope for the more common airframes or cards. They have forced us to produce our own cards and encouraged Shapeways and AIM to become bigger suppliers of models then they are. Once 3D printers hit the reasonable cost threshold they are more or less done.

Sooner or later it will be non profitable for them to keep producing the game and it will die unless they start damage control and go back to a card based game with options for planes.

Nan

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Believe me, releasing of cards wouldn't change anything. Cards and decks made by players (Mike!) are much better source and thanks to committee we could be sure stats are fine too. Just combine Aerodrome and Shapeways and you will be a happy player for long time.

T&T: Sad story of course, but who could know it?

Bad news for us, NASA's Insight lands on Mars, no tripods there either!!!!!

Good one Dave!
    Rob.

It missed the Tripods. They had already left for Earth by a long circuitous route.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    It missed the Tripods. They had already left for Earth by a long circuitous route.
    Tracking number F1r3b@!!Xl5 results:

We'd take the path to Jupiter
    And maybe very soon
    We'd cruise along the Milky Way
    And land upon the Moon
    To a wonderland of stardust
    We'd zoom our way to Mars
    Our route exploded like a fireball, a fireball,
    And blew it past Venus to the stars!

There’s the problem! Earth doesn’t seem to be on the routing!

(With apologies to Gerry and Sylvia Anderson)

Delays are the worst! However, it seems these blisters are the last of the production process. Hopefully, that means we will get these bad boys packaged and in a shipping container post-haste. Now, as long as the cargo ship doesn’t sink or the container doesn’t get swept overboard by a rogue wave, or get hung-up in customs, or arrive at the same time as a dock-workers union strike, I can’t possibly see any additional delays.... But I will bite my tongue and bite it really hard!

Anyone seen what the packaging for the reprint planes looks like? I wonder if it will be Tripods & Triplanes or standard Wings packaging? Surely, there will at least be a sticker saying these products are compatible with both systems? One would hope anyway!

You forgot a Dock strike Daniel.
    Rob.

you also forgot hijacked by pirates!

"5 years, that's all we've got . . ." Ziggy Stardust may have a better grasp on the timeline

Message to Mars intercepted, Phoenix looks tasty . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1543097780063.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	258959

What kind of units for defence?

Bacteriological Warfare Department alerted. Also Unit, and Dr Who.

Rob.

Bacteriological Warfare Department?

Maybe we can fly in "Patient Zero" with a Zeppelin Staaken...

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Bacteriological Warfare Department?

Maybe we can fly in "Patient Zero" with a Zeppelin Staaken...
    I think we would have to violate the Geneva Convention for this.

How odd to be anxiously excited to be invaded from Mars . . .

Obviously we're all bored with what we have and need some new excitement. (Martian tripod collapsing emoticon here)

The concept of bacteriological warfare was not unknown during W.W.1. In the novel 'Mr Standfast' by John Buchan (first published in 1919) the author included a German plot to release anthrax against the Entente.

hmmmmm . . . maybe the trip to China introduced a rare strain of latent Martian death virus inadvertently and the entire Martian invasion was infected before they got into their sealed transport bubbles . . . they really were doomed before they left home . . . and we are left in awe of the battles not needed . . . now we have room for BSG minis! Sorry it must be my meds . . . .

Must leave us more SPACE for other models then, Dave as you so rightly say.
    Rob.

There's just no a-VOID-ing it!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Just hope It gets here soon and not at the same time as BSG. Biggest mistake they could make would be 2 big releases at the same time forcing the customer base to choose one rather then get both.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Just hope It gets here soon and not at the same time as BSG. Biggest mistake they could make would be 2 big releases at the same time forcing the customer base to choose one rather then get both.
    That is not an issue as BSG is already here. I've got it up on the AA store now.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. National: Good News and some really BAD News
    By Patches in forum US Wing
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-02-2016, 20:30
  2. Ouch! Airplane magazine - good news and bad news.
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 11:47
  3. Theres Good News & Bad News!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-31-2013, 23:46
  4. Series 1 Good News Bad News
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 07:09
  5. Good News, Bad News, Good News, Uncertain News