Ares Games
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any new news?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christian
    Sorties Flown

Here I am, back from Spiel 2018 in Essen. I was able to take some pictures, together with release dates! But, have a look:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181027_123117.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	257086
    Can you see Kissenberth's captured Camel?!

Name:	20181027_123136.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	257087
    Pfalz D.III. My favourite aircraft.

Name:	attachment.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	257142
    Sorry for that view, but the picture was correct. The uploader turned it sideways.

Name:	20181027_123209.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	257089

Name:	20181027_123228.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	257090
    The Ju-88 on the left looks like a night fghter version.

Name:	20181027_165345.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	257091
    And some Battlestar Galactica stuff.

Regards,

Christian
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 10-28-2018 at 12:11.

Which quarter of 2019 for WGS bombers, please?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christian
    Sorties Flown

Uh, I don't know. Sorry I clipped this important information. I was busy getting all miniatures into one frame.

Never mind, it is definitely 2019, that's enough

That better Lindinho?

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Man, any idea on what is a reprint and what isn’t? Looks like we have MVR and Kempf in the DR.1 that are reprints, so I will only need one of those, the others aren’t as obvious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by P-51D View Post
    Man, any idea on what is a reprint and what isn’t? Looks like we have MVR and Kempf in the DR.1 that are reprints, so I will only need one of those, the others aren’t as obvious to me.
    As you spotted, the Kempf is a reprint, as is the Fonck SPAD and the Weber DVa (white No. 1 on upper wing) and the Dallas SE5a.

The MvR Dr.1 is a new scheme, based on the final plane he flew, and died in.

The rest are all new, though the Holtzem Pfalz D.III looks like a "half-reprint" of the Series IV Holtzem, but with a single colour top wing now in place of the Series IV lozenge one.

Three more models are missing: the third DVa, the third Camel and the third SPAD XIII.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Actually, we have this exact Idflieg c/n from MvR, just an earlier date--both the all-red ones are 425/17, while the two-tone represents a variety of his others including the F.I prototype IIRC.

Man, I gotta buy all over again to get new cards...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christian
    Sorties Flown

Thank you Rob for turning the photograph upright.

The new german triplane painting scheme looks like Fokker Dr. 1 204/17 flewn by Paul Bäumer Jasta 2.
    Detailed information here: http://www.fokkerdr1.com/204_17.htm

Regards,

Chris
    Last edited by Lindinho; 10-29-2018 at 04:40.

You didn‘t tell me about the other BSG stuff yesterday, Chistian.

Thx for posting those pictures! Rep on the way.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

So the news is we get a new empty box to keep our stuff in when we get it, yes! Would be nice to get the stuff. More news in November . . .

I was considering ordering foam but if these work that would be great. I would be very happy, if someone doesn't want theirs, to get a box they don't want. I think I over bought on Tripods anyway so an extra storage box, or two, would be fantastic.

[Edit: P.S. I wonder if these will have inserts]

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    So the news is we get a new empty box to keep our stuff in when we get it, yes! Would be nice to get the stuff. More news in November . . .
    I got the impression that whatever we ordered will be *in* the box (i.e. not empty). Mailing an empty box would be massively wasteful on postage. Anyway, update 18 has been posted on the Kickstarter page.

Just got the message myself.
    the best bit was:-

Name:	863c0cbc7edd86cc49a10e3875d6252a_original.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	257293

Name:	f3b7bcd8c7e58468452ad2e81f1aed7d_original.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	257294

Rob.

I posted these pics elsewhere after Origins - they are the production figures but we had the last pre-production figures there too and the only difference I noticed was the final figs had a dark wash ! The production bases were different too - iirc the Cuttlefish (the big 'un) in the last pic is the pre-production version but don't hold me to that !

Name:	IMG_20180615_134919901.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	257302 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180615_134910313.jpg 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	257303 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180615_134907195.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	257304 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180615_134923669.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	257305 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180616_213943964.jpg 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	257306
    Sadly for Rob they didn't have Ball's N.16
    Last edited by flash; 11-01-2018 at 05:35.

"He is wise who watches"

. . . November brings a chill unlike any year this year . . . news of light flashes from the observatories . . . Mars seems closer, more ominous . . . just my elves cowering . . . chanting . . . is something wicked approaching us this fall . . . uh-oh . . . just forgot to take me meds . . .

1st quarter 2019! I forget when the first release date was forecast but it seems a very long time ago.

This has been dragging on for so long, I had to login to Kickstarter yesterday to see what I originally ordered - I honestly couldn't remember!

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    1st quarter 2019! I forget when the first release date was forecast but it seems a very long time ago.
    Project Launched on Kickstarter: 28 November 2017
    Anticipated delivery at Project start: June 2018

Project funded: 20 December 2017

Tripod production underway, pre-production of WWI planes commences: 6 April 2018
    (Things appear to be going very well, with the 'new' stuff already out of the way.)

WWI plane production goes south: 15 May 2018
    (Pre-production samples of WWI planes don't arrive for approval. This delays the anticipated delivery of June. At this point, it seems like a small hiccup. Nobody expected the problems with the production to go so badly.)

WWI planes finally in production: 15 Sep 2018
    Estimated production completion: 8 weeks
    (This milestone required a personal visit to the factories in China to sort out!)

So, we are finally nearing production completion, if nothing else has gone sideways.

Fingers crossed, Ares should be boxing up models by next week, and shipping should be happening next week?

PS: If I go with the worst case scenario of long-distance delivery, three months to get my stuff. In time for my visit to Prague?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thanks Mike for the timeframe. I am looking forward to some new stuff. The SM79's in particular will be a great addition to my WGS collection.

Just want by X-mas. Been a long wait.

Quote Originally Posted by LS650 View Post
    This has been dragging on for so long, I had to login to Kickstarter yesterday to see what I originally ordered - I honestly couldn't remember!
    This (T&T) hasn't been going on nearly as long as the many times over the years we've been told the balloons will be out within a year.
    Last edited by Ken at Sunrise; 11-12-2018 at 12:42.

Retailers officially got the word today that T&T is moved back to a January 2019 release. No word on the Series 1 reprints being release at the same time.

YIKES! Not good news for those trying to be so good for Santa to bless them . . . will have to rely on the Peeps from Mars then . . .

Name:	20180424_201227_resized.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	257968
    Last edited by clipper1801; 11-12-2018 at 12:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Retailers officially got the word today that T&T is moved back to a January 2019 release. No word on the Series 1 reprints being release at the same time.
    I wonder what that means for Kickstarter backers. Kickstarter campaigns are known for being late or missing deadlines. I don't mind waiting for them to fix a quality issue; that usually means we get a better product.

Name:	Z_80pvfo5oy.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	257969
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Goodness, Karl, but that's a big 'un! I guess those little cards by the planes and tripods in the Essen pictures were accurate (as far as accuracy goes on 12 November...)

All the best,
    Matt

Yes Karl, VERY disappointing, this was my last KinkStarter (spelled correctly in my opinion) for sure, not thrilled with Ares either, rather sad indeed.

I thought that having them for Christmas was optimistic.

It is possible the KD backers would have them for Christmas, I believe backers were supposed to get them before the stores did. So, don't piss off Santa just yet guys.

I expect the KS will arrive next summer at the earliest. Anything earlier will be a bonus.
    My second and final KS ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    ... So, don't piss off Santa just yet guys.
    So ay we all, Sir.

Like the heavy bomber KS, I'm happy that WoG has such projects and I really hope we see some more in the future.

(Maybe London mats - Caproni Ca.4 - Felixstowe - Mountain map for AH/Italian front - Pacific mats, and many more WoG Planes.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Like the heavy bomber KS, I'm happy that WoG has such projects and I really hope we see some more in the future. [...]
    Late is better than never, but, the heavy bombers KS is an example of Ares not completely fulfilling what they said we'd get or at this point even addressing it. This Kickstater campaign has never been fully delivered.

Kickstaters where you can't trust that you'll get what is promised is not a good sign.

If anyone wants some extra tripods ahead of the game, Miniature Market has many "All Quiet on the Martian Front" miniatures on deep discount as part of their early Black Friday sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post
    If anyone wants some extra tripods ahead of the game, Miniature Market has many "All Quiet on the Martian Front" miniatures on deep discount as part of their early Black Friday sale.
    $80 USD for an unpainted Martian Overseer? Wow!

Even if it wasn't as indepth of "All's Quiet on the Martian Front" I do wish the WoG Tripods at least addressed ground combat with cannons and tanks.. Of course we can use trenches, MG, AAG and such. I think I'm going to print a few tanks and give them minimal movement. Of course they will be little more than targets for the fast moving Martians but a couple of tanks may get in a few good punches in before they perish under the withering attack of the 'Heat Ray'.
    Last edited by Ken at Sunrise; 11-14-2018 at 06:47. Reason: spell'in n grammer

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    Even if it wasn't as indepth of "All's Quiet on the Martian Front" I do wish the WoG Tripods at least addressed ground combat with cannons and tanks.. Of course we can use trenches, MG, AAG and such. I think I'm going to print a few tanks and give them minimal movement. Of course they will be little more than targets for the fast moving Martians but a couple of tanks may get in a few good punches in before they perish under the withering attack of the 'Heat Ray'.
    Ken,
    Nothing in any of my play testing has included any ground targets, other than those in Wings of Glory. This might have been a conscious effort to 'keep it simple".

Even the idea of tripod vs tripod combat added complexity the originator of the idea hadn't considered, nor IMHO, desired.

There are printable tanks on the forum, that are pretty good, and rules for their use as targets. No-one, IIRC, has produced ground combat rules for 'Wings' of War/Glory.

PS: Obviously, I've missed something in the undercurrents on this forum. I found all this, with a quick search:

WGF Mk.IV Tank Stats Sheet
    WGF Mk.IV Tank Cards
    6 tanks cards front and back
    Tanks! (without infantry)

I didn't miss this, though:
    WGF Tanks of Glory! The Build.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 11-14-2018 at 08:51.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Ken,
    Nothing in any of my play testing has included any ground targets, other than those in Wings of Glory. This might have been a conscious effort to 'keep it simple". [...]
    Yes absolutely keep it simple.

Perhaps cannons can't move, are destroyed like trenches and only take 5 points of damage. Tanks may only get one move per turn instead of three; maybe one move every other turn. Maybe someone who knows the movement scale of the aircraft/planes could suggest something. Would 10 damage be too high for tanks?

Something simple, nothing else. This is an aerial game so the main focus is the plans. But it dramatically adds the flavor since ground troops are there. In the book a group of cannons (artillery) was able to take out a Martian. Of course they only got one shot before they were eliminated, and that's okay for simplicity.

I thought I remembered the original dates were March-June of 2018 for the plane re-prints with a Balloon reprint to follow later that the same year, which is..........pretty much over. Sad to keep so many eager to spend $ kept waiting.

I can be pretty paitient but this is getting a tad ridiculous. Can you cancel a kickstarter? I mean other than going to the credit card company to submit a complaint.

Unfortunately just about all KS projects in the gaming genre go well over schedule. In fact, KS its self perpetuates this to some degree. There is only so much production capabilities to produce miniatures and print card stock. With KS making it so easy to fund new games, those production limits are often met and exceeded. And most miniature games offer additional miniatures as Stretch Goals and they quickly bust their deadline before they even start production. It also does not help that in most Chinese plants, the big fish get the first production slots regardless of which order was placed first.

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    I can be pretty paitient but this is getting a tad ridiculous. Can you cancel a kickstarter? I mean other than going to the credit card company to submit a complaint.
    Not that I'm aware of. And you are probably out of luck on the credit card front as well. Most of those require you to initiate that process within 60 days of the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    I was facing a possible extraordinary financial expenditure (which thankfully didn’t happen), and I asked Ares if I could cancel. Their answer was yes, but there was a Kickstarter fee that was out of their control, and that small portion could not be refunded. So, my best answer is to ask them directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Nowotny View Post
    I thought I remembered the original dates were March-June of 2018 for the plane re-prints with a Balloon reprint to follow later that the same year, which is..........pretty much over. Sad to keep so many eager to spend $ kept waiting.
    I think that may have been the official dates, but if you look over at Board Game Geeks it's been mentioned often over the last several years as being within the year. Of course there can always be production issues, change in priorities, etc. Who knows maybe them intended to but shifted to different things. I thought when the giants were released the balloons were suppose to be out within the year.

As Keith puts it the big fish in China get bumped up the production schedule, so for small concerns like Ares it is a best guess depending on how many big fish are in the pool at the same time. Several friends of mine who have companies here in the U.K. are moving production back for this and several other reasons such as the failure rate in components which cost more to put right than the extra cost of using British Manufacturers. Failure rates in electrical components from China can be as high as nearly 50%

Rob.

Remember too, Warlord Games is making some of their planes out of metal, because the process is one they do all the time in the UK, and don't have to source them out to China.
    Startup for a resin molded product is much more expensive than metal.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Update 19 - bubble issues! Yikes! Should have used steel cylinders . . . .

Let me get this straight. As a token of apology Ares is giving backers free shipping if they make another $100+ purchase. I did not know Games Workshop opened a business strategy academy for other companies...

...and it's free shipping for an unrelated game I have absolutely zero interest in... :|

Supreme Invasion Commander Marvin: Look, Look, earth is in opposition. Why have we not launched the fleet? It should have been launched months ago!
    Imperial Unterflunky Martin: Design parameters were too ambitious, production logjams, foreign construction crews on Jupiter went on strike, random meteor showers, George Pal creating unrealistic expectations, a wascally wabbit stole our Illudium Pu-36 Explosive Space Modulator, and the Troop Landing Impact Shock Absorbing System failed.
    Marvin: The excrement hit the Oscillating Localized Atmospheric Accelerator?
    Uncle Martin: Indeed.
    Marvin (Huffing and puffing as the Earth Sails By Unmolested): You make me very, very angry! Very angry, indeed!

Yup, that will join in on my running Hollywood commentator series on the Kickstarter...
    Last edited by Dawn Patrol; 11-22-2018 at 11:29.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. National: Good News and some really BAD News
    By Patches in forum US Wing
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-02-2016, 20:30
  2. Ouch! Airplane magazine - good news and bad news.
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 11:47
  3. Theres Good News & Bad News!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-31-2013, 23:46
  4. Series 1 Good News Bad News
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 07:09
  5. Good News, Bad News, Good News, Uncertain News