Ares Games
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Any new news?

Earth won! Martians were so baffled that humans were willing to have 27,000 men, in the flower of their youth, sacrificed in a single day and still develop more efficient weapons decided that we were just too dangerous and unstable to invade.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark
    Sorties Flown

There is a post on the KS from Ares. Unable to use the update feature due to an issue but the post in essence says February delivery for KS backers, March/April general sale.

There have been so many posts I can’t remeber if anyone mentioned it. The full manual is available for download: https://www.aresgames.eu/download/22396/.

So there it is again. The gift that keeps on beating.

BBC1 will be showing a three part adaptation of H.G.Wells novel 'The War of the Worlds' early in 2019. It is set in Edwardian Britain and stars Eleanor Tomlinson and Rafe Spall. It will be closer to the original novel than Steven Spielberg's movie starring Tom Cruise.

This could be good for sales of Tripods and Triplanes.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Here is the message from Ares through the Kickstarter website - I receive it as an email, but I went to the KS site itself to copy the message...

A Christmas without Martians Posted by Ares Games (Creator)

Good morning, people of the Earth!

As the year's end get closer, I want to give you a status report on the good and the bad of the development of this project.

The good is that the issue with the blister packaging of the Tripod packs is now solved. The shape of the blister has been modified, and the factory reported today that these new packs passed the "notorious" drop test.

[...they insert a couple of pictures of the Martian tripod package here...]

The physical samples of these blister trays are being sent to me tomorrow. I will check them between Christmas and New Year's Eve and I look forward to finally give the go to the production of these packs, which should be completed in January. So, the bad - T&T will, in the end, NOT ship this year.

The rest of the components are either done - or they can finall be set on track to be completed: even if all files were ready at the printer several weeks ago, we could not launch the mass production of the rest of the packaging until the trays were approved,

The Rulebook
    I shared with you before a Dropbox link to the rulebook. If you did not do so already, you can now browse the rulebook on Issuu:

[...they insert a video here you can watch and a link to go to for it...]

and you can also download this PDF from our website.

Completing the production, shipping rewards, and retail release
    We are now confident the entire production can be completed before the Chinese New Year, and start shipping to you in February.

We are also sending out the information on the T&T releases as "Product sheets" to distributors. To avoid any misunderstanding when this information will show up on the web, let's set this straight:

When we send out product sheets we have to do so several months in advance, and we have to attach a date to the product sheets. Assuming we are able to ship your rewards in February , we indicated March 2019 as the retail date for the first releases (for example, the "Locust " Tripod Pack), to May 2019 for the later ones (the "second invasion" packs). Tripod packs and accessories will roll out to retail over several months, while you will have them all first and in one wave of shipments only.

These dates ar NOT final. In case your rewards will be further delayed (we hope not, of course!), we will postpone the retail release accordingly. We are committed to get product in your hands BEFORE it releases to retail (for several items, such as the "Second Invasion" tripods and accessories, months before it hits retail). And most important, we are committed to have it as a QUALITY product, following our company policy.

I also want to emphasize the Kickstarter also gives you a significant saving in comparison to the retail price. To give you an example, the suggested retail price of all items included in the Second Invasion pledge ($149) will be $ 260. The items in Total War ($ 199 for you) have a total suggested retail price of $ 369... and several items which are exclusive to the Kickstarter, such as game mats, cardholders, posters, solo rules, are not even included in that amount.

To sum up - we all are not happy of the delays and setbacks suffered by the project. But we are as committed as ever to get it finished giving you the quality and value you deserve for your support.

... and our best wishes!
    I, and everybody at Ares, wish you a great Christmas and a Happy New Year, with your friends and family. We know now that 2019, if nothing else, will finally be the YEAR OF THE INVASION and we all very much look forward to it!

Yours,

Roberto and all the Ares Games crew

Looks like it will tie in nicely, then, with the BBC1 show...

All the best,
    Matt

No word for four weeks was pretty much a guarantee that they hadn’t actually gone into final production. And still haven’t, once again waiting on the crushable post - which I suppose is a good test in itself, assuming it survives, and one too terrible to contemplate if it doesn’t. Gotta love the whole mentioning of Chinese New Year without mentioning what the actual date is (Feb 5th) and how seriously the country shuts down and for how long (a full week, and many factories the whole month, with resulting back up delays of even longer).

The good news is that hopefully whatever they ship will arrive in one piece. Which, at the end of the day, is the important part.

For what we are about to receive! Eh Bruce.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    For what we are about to receive! Eh Bruce.
    Rob.
    I just can’t help but append “allegedly” to the receive.
    ;-)

They made the same mistake Zombicide and some other KS's did. You NEVER have your product go over the New Year threshold. Half their work force goes home for the Holiday and does not return. This means they are either short handed or have a large staff of new untrained help while rushing to fill orders. Not a good way to go and lots of mistakes happen.

To be (somewhat) fair, that wasn't the original plan. Delays delays
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Light at the end of the tunnel - or the diminishing glow of a heat ray strike ..?!

"He is wise who watches"

Is the light getting brighter?...or the Train getting closer?

Perhaps the Tripods will be here for Easter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	war-of-the-worlds-martian-tripod-620x481.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	259667Click image for larger version. 

Name:	625x465_1274148_1248948_1459319055.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	259668

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Perhaps the Tripods will be here for Easter.

Name:	war-of-the-worlds-martian-tripod-620x481.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	259667Click image for larger version. 

Name:	625x465_1274148_1248948_1459319055.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	259668
    Maybe the Martians won't be so evil, looks like a good egg to me.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dan
    Sorties Flown

Wish they would hurry up so we can move on to the 'impending' reprints
    I need SE5a's !

Speaking of the Kickstarter contents, im presuming that the Nieuport 16's wont be in the subsequent reprints - then again maybe when the balloons are re-done.
    Last edited by strontiumdog; 12-23-2018 at 08:45.

From thought to bought to not, yet. Whilst sidelined this week I read the entire 819 posts on the Martian chronicle:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...sion-from-Mars

. . . quite a story, been a long mission so far . . . found It very interesting, so much development and effort that came from our members to bring it together may be the reason we are still hopeful . . . the whole "promise of reprints" thing will be curious if it lasts beyond the first release . . . we are in such need for reprinting the entire catalog . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Maybe the Martians won't be so evil, looks like a good egg to me.

that really cracked me up!!!

Do you think it will turn out all white in the end or will the yolk really be on us?
    If it is after Easter will we just end up having chocolate on our faces.
    Rob.

Chocolate does not go well with heat rays.

Hey, just get some graham crackers & marshmellows, and make smores.

Here I am with bags of Mars bars frozen for 20 months, should have thawed them out for the Insight landing . . . S. W. T. W. C. Part 2?

You can#t beat a hot chocolate drink to calm your nerves, after a nightmare about your Martians getting lost in the post Dave.
    Rob.

Name:	imagesFCT0VS49.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	259931

A new update due tomorrow apparently, but gist is production complete, BUT
    A problem with “paper supply” at factory means no shipping till after the Chinese New Year.
    Take a look on facebook T&T, I kid ye not

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    A problem with “paper supply” at factory means no shipping till after the Chinese New Year.
    To help ease this a little bit, I'll pass along the most recent news I got from Ares. First, WGS Series 7 is set to release "just a little after" this Series 1/T&T release (which delayed everything after it). Also, you can see all of the new Series 1 mini in their individual detail in this thread.

Not the first time a paper shortage has caused problems in the world. After all, didn't Great Britain and Germany get into World War I partly over a mere scrap of it?
    Last edited by zenlizard; 01-17-2019 at 05:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    ...WGS Series 7 is set to release "just a little after"...

New WWII bombers? Oh boy! Still would have preferred the Corsair and P-38 this go around, especially since we were first teased with those all the way back in 2014, but I understand the thinking behind the decision to round out the BoB plane assortment. Truly with any Wings game, Tom Petty said it best, “the waiting is hardest part”.

2019 looks like we will have lots of Wings of Glory love! WWI, T&T, WW2 and BSG, whew, my wallet is shivering.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    2019 looks like we will have lots of Wings of Glory love! WWI, T&T, WW2 and BSG, whew, my wallet is shivering.
    So true...

It will be good and expensive, if all of these models actually make it into the shops.

Quote Originally Posted by P-51D View Post
    New WWII bombers? Oh boy! Still would have preferred the Corsair and P-38 this go around, especially since we were first teased with those all the way back in 2014…
    I was thinking too literally about this, as in what was communicated back then. It just means I will spend $0 on Ares products in 2019.

Spring will sprung,
    Da grass will riz,
    I wonder where da tripods iz?

So...I knew it was blind optimism that I’d catch the earliest west coast wave of deliveries and have it just in time for OrcCon here in SoCal. Now maybe somewhere in March? At least we seem to have a date for the mass migration of martians launching.

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Probably not a surprise; the Chinese have been rejecting paper for recycling from overseas in record amounts. A number of suppliers in the USA have
    gotten backlogged because of it, and the drop in price.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    To help ease this a little bit, I'll pass along the most recent news I got from Ares. First, WGS Series 7 is set to release "just a little after" this Series 1/T&T release (which delayed everything after it). Also, you can see all of the new Series 1 mini in their individual detail in this thread.
    So WGS series 7 before the BoB bombers? Interesting.
    Karl

Unfortunately I think the bombers are what we get for Series 7.

From the Kickstarter Update 21:

Production Update: The Chinese New Year Guillotine

Posted by Ares Games (Creator)

Good morning, afternoon and evening, People of the Earth!

Since our previous update, things have been moving forward, but not as smoothly as we'd hoped. Mostly, we have one piece of good news and one piece of bad news to share with you.

The Good News

Name:	465D0FF7-A5A8-48C3-BAD0-1A98D0BDF58E.jpeg 
Views:	62 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	261323

Airplane models and Tripod trays completed and approved!
    Regarding the model and blister packaging mass production - after the last issues with the Tripod trays I told you about in our previous update - we have been able to complete it, and to have everything QC checked. At least this part is DONE, at long last... Our model supplier is now ready to ship the models to the printing factory... but...

The Bad News

As you know, print files were ready MONTHS ago. But long-term storage of unfinished components is not a good choice when manufacturing in China, so we could not really complete the printing until we had firm date for the delivery of the models. That date was the second half of January - now.
    If everything moved forward smoothly, that would have been just enough to do the assembly and ship just before the Chinese New Year holiday (this year, the first 2 weeks in February).
    Unfortunately, last week (January, 8th, precisely)... we got bad news from the factory:

------
    For the WGF* jobs, the paper material has not been delivered to our factory because material shipment from Japan has been postponed. So the goods can be ready on Feb.20th, after CNY*.

------
    (*WGF=WW1 Wings of Glory = Tripods & Triplanes! CNY=Chinese New Year)
    ------

Our factory uses high-quality Japanese paper as cardstock - normally a good thing, but not this time!

The New Schedule

Despite our best efforts, this means the Chinese New Year "guillotine" is falling on this project, and we end up to be on the "wrong" side of the blade.

Many of you are familiar with the problem that factories in China have a slow start of activities after the Chinese New Year holidays, so the schedule might move forward again. Our printing supplier is better than most from this point of view, so we are moderately optimistic that the date they gave us will be met.

If printing is actually completed on February 20th as they tell us, they will then need about 7 to 10 days for assembly, and the production will ship from China between the end of February and the first week of March.

Thanks for your patience and support,

Roberto/Ares

The timeline projected out is indicating May for delivery to backers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post
    The timeline projected out is indicating May for delivery to backers.
    By what they say, more like sometime in March itself (at least for us Left Coasters). That’s assuming by ship, they mean ship direct to backers.

Production will not be completed until March. The shipping container will likely leave the second week of March. Two weeks later the ship will dock and take 5-10 days to go through customs. From there the containers of games make there way to the distribution center, where it will ship to backers over the following week or two before it arrives at their final destination 3-5 days after that.

So that will be close to two years after the last plane was released?

Yeah. I think the last series was released in 2016.

Surprise, surprise, surprise. Deepening disappointment. Set sleep state for "Maybe Some Day" I have other things to do than wait on Ares . . .
    Last edited by clipper1801; 01-19-2019 at 11:42.

Almost makes one wonder if the printer could not pay his paper supplier causing the hicup in production? Seen it happen when I was working in production. Sure sign the company has cash flow issues (printer, not WoG).

There has been a change to the Upcoming and Available webpage on the Ares website. There appear to be more delays.

https://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products

March 2019...about what I figured with shipping times added. Any one want to bet there will be more supplier based delays?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Similar Missions

1. National: Good News and some really BAD News
    By Patches in forum US Wing
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-02-2016, 20:30
  2. Ouch! Airplane magazine - good news and bad news.
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 11:47
  3. Theres Good News & Bad News!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-31-2013, 23:46
  4. Series 1 Good News Bad News
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 07:09
  5. Good News, Bad News, Good News, Uncertain News