Ares Games
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any new news?

That is correct, Ken.

Ares have listed the Starter sets for 'Tripods & Triplanes' and 'Battlestar Galactica' for November release on their Upcoming webpage.

http://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    So the Battle Star version of WoG is not a Kickstarter project?
    So BoG and ToG now? I like it!

I just received this email this morning:

'A chance to play together!

On October 20th and 21st, "Wings of Glory - A Call to Arm" will be an occasion to play Wings of Glory, Sails of Glory and the soon to come Battlestar Galactica - Starship Battles. The event will be held during the "Gioco & Storia" wargame convention at the Piana delle Orme museum in central Italy. Here the official press release by Ares Games.

All the best,

Andrea'

The 'official release' referred to is in Italian (not my native language) so I omitted it.

The worrying aspect is the lack of mention of Tripods & Triplanes!!

I have been away all summer so I am wondering if anyone has any updates on when the WGF Planes and Balloon Re-prints that were supposed to be earlier this year are at. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Nowotny View Post
    I have been away all summer so I am wondering if anyone has any updates on when the WGF Planes and Balloon Re-prints that were supposed to be earlier this year are at. Thanks!
    I’m kinda curious about that, myself. My understanding was that the Wave 1 reprint, balloons, and balloon buster Nieuport 16s were all supposed to be released simultaneously with Tripods & Triplanes, which means December, dribbling on into 2019 depending on where you are, how fast distribution goes, et cetera. Now, whether the production will be staged in some fashion so that some parts will be available first, or whether it will all be done, packed and shipped together, Ares hasn’t bothered to mention. Hopefully as things get closer, they will be more specific at what is coming when.

The Upcoming page on the Ares Games website now shows the Battlestar Galactica Starter Set will be available in November and the Tripods & Triplanes Starter Set will be available in December. However, there is a footnote saying "Dates are subject to change.".

http://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products

So we will just have to wait and see what happens.

One UK seller on ebay has the Tripe-pods game listed now for pre-order..............

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wings-of-...wAAOSwYNlbvKsR
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Some online stores are taking pre-orders.

I got an email from Ares the other day looking for confirmation of my pledge details.
    No indication of shipping date.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I got an email from Ares the other day looking for confirmation of my pledge details.
    No indication of shipping date.
    That is worrying, I haven’t heard squat. I was a late pledge though.
    Last edited by BwanaJoe; 10-13-2018 at 19:51.

Don't feel bad, I have not heard anything either and I was on time.

I haven't either, but my contact info is up to date, so maybe they don't need to contact me.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I was on time too and have not heard anything yet.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Last I heard was the KS email that came out from Roberto about how busy he was and his trip to China to sort things out...at least a month ago, I think...? Crossing my fingers but not holding my breath

All the best,
    Matt

This is my 5th or 6th KS and to be honest I NEVER hear anything till it is sitting on the doorstep. SO....It gets here when it gets here. I do have a rule of only 1 KS per company active at a time though. They need to deliver the previous before I will buy into a new one from em. I think CMON came close on that one with their last Zombicide KS. It kept me from reselling extra of some of what I had ordered and getting twice as much as I did. So their loss I guess, with this one, lack of KS exclusives also kept my orders down to a single pledge as there was no reason to order extras. Great for those who do not do KS but seriously restricts pledges as the investors are not interested.

Had to research first what my pledge level was...

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Thank you, my friend.

Changed to Second Invasion - extra Tripod damage deck - extra Tripod counters & extra Ball.

181 $ + shipping cost to Europe

Great KS project.

Specially happy about Kissenbert & the Baron.
    Hope to see this game in 2018.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    This is my 5th or 6th KS and to be honest I NEVER hear anything till it is sitting on the doorstep. SO....It gets here when it gets here. I do have a rule of only 1 KS per company active at a time though. They need to deliver the previous before I will buy into a new one from em. I think CMON came close on that one with their last Zombicide KS. It kept me from reselling extra of some of what I had ordered and getting twice as much as I did. So their loss I guess, with this one, lack of KS exclusives also kept my orders down to a single pledge as there was no reason to order extras. Great for those who do not do KS but seriously restricts pledges as the investors are not interested.
    The stretch goal from Ares Giants of the Sky, software, has yet to be delivered. How many years now?

So the Battle Star version of WoG is not a Kickstarter project? Straight to retail?
    Interesting statement: "Straight to retail?"

No, I don't think Battlestar Galactica (BSG) was a Kickstarter. It went from concept to production, and should (if it wasn't delayed) be in distribution as I type. This means Ares backed the expense of this game completely, without going to the public. Ares appears to believe that BSG will be a better investment, and appeal to a broader demographic than Wings of Glory. Pretty confident, in fact.

I don't know how many boxes sets or individual models will be available in the BSG line, but 'Ares money' got thrown at Battlestar Galactica that doesn't appear to be going to Wings.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Interesting statement: "Straight to retail?"

No, I don't think Battlestar Galactica (BSG) was a Kickstarter. It went from concept to production, and should (if it wasn't delayed) be in distribution as I type. This means Ares backed the expense of this game completely, without going to the public. Ares appears to believe that BSG will be a better investment, and appeal to a broader demographic than Wings of Glory. Pretty confident, in fact.

I don't know how many boxes sets or individual models will be available in the BSG line, but 'Ares money' got thrown at Battlestar Galactica that doesn't appear to be going to Wings.
    I do like BSG so I might pick up a few. Since there are only a few canon ships I can get the one's I like without going overboard on the whole collection as I did for X-Wing. Even Wings of Glory grew from a simple 'playable' collection of less that a dozen to 60+ planes. I think I'm done with that.

Just looking through the BSG threads, and what is happening with that product line. Amazing that we first heard about it in April of this year, and the boxes are ready for pre-release for Essen 2018 (this coming weekend).

See this for the latest news on that front: Battlestar Galactica - Starship Battles! - Post #192

PS: Facebook seems to have more, and current, info than the official Ares site.
    Mike

I guess there's an assumption (probably correct) that as a new game and a sci fi game that BSG will be way more of a money spinner than WOG and SOG

The stretch goal from Ares Giants of the Sky, software, has yet to be delivered. How many years now?
    Since those early promises of ‘coming soon we have a new designer’ I have not received a reply from Ares to any communications about the promised Giants of the Sky app. Looks like it was thrown into the ‘too hard’ basket and is never to be talked about again.

I do hope that this is not the case as it will inevitably put yet another dent into the trust we have in Ares Kick starters.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Since those early promises of ‘coming soon we have a new designer’ I have not received a reply from Ares to any communications about the promised Giants of the Sky app. Looks like it was thrown into the ‘too hard’ basket and is never to be talked about again.
    One would think that they would at least comment rather than leave a partially fulfilled Kickstarter. Makes you question what can/should be trusted about any delivery promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I do hope that this is not the case as it will inevitably put yet another dent into the trust we have in Ares Kick starters.
    Rob.
    Months ago I posted questions about the app here, KS, Facebook, Yahoo group, emailed Ares direct. Silence is deafening.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Months ago I posted questions about the app here, KS, Facebook, Yahoo group, emailed Ares direct. Silence is deafening.
    The last I can recall reading on the App subject was that Ares couldn't get a designer to build the App. I can't recall why, but it may have been the money Ares budgetted for it was woefully insufficient for producing a decent product. And once they spent the money on something unsuitable, producing a good one would take more money than they can afford (being that the Kickstarter is over, and they can't go back and ask for more money). If it was a stretch goal, what was the financial investment of the backers? Did you get all the main product?

For the Tripods stretch goals, I'm still thinking the WWII adaptation will be delayed. If not, the product will be badly balanced due to a lack of playtesting.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    The last I can recall reading on the App subject was that Ares couldn't get a designer to build the App. I can't recall why, but it may have been the money Ares budgetted for it was woefully insufficient for producing a decent product. And once they spent the money on something unsuitable, producing a good one would take more money than they can afford (being that the Kickstarter is over, and they can't go back and ask for more money). If it was a stretch goal, what was the financial investment of the backers? Did you get all the main product?
    The main product was delivered. I know Ares had issue finding a developer for the app but the last response I had was they had a new designer and it was happening soon.

It would be better for the company just to come out and say sorry we could not meet the goal as promised, instead of going dark on the matter.

It doesn't surprise me that the BSG game has gone from announcement to production so quickly. I'm no expert in the field, but it seems that when a company the size of Ares gets a licensed property it usually jumps to the head of the line. I always figured there were contractual obligations that forced them to a rigid schedule.

I saw this with the role playing game company R. Talsorian. Their other projects got kicked to the side when they landed the license to The Withcer RPG, based on the valuable video game franchise.

Not sure how deep I'll dive into BSG, but I'll have to get at least a few original series Cylon Raiders and Vipers.

Having worked on licensed products in the software industry, we often had definitive deadlines, as in, you do not publish by this date, we can revoke the license (and once was only apprised of that four weeks before the deadline - at least I then understood why the CEO was so panicky). Kickstarting would cut into that time frame while you prepared and then ran the campaign.

Working with a studio is always another level of difficulty depending on what level of approval is required. Individual actors have to sign off on how they are depicted, or worse, all the members of their estate. You may need to get permission from: special effects houses, sounds effects personnel, and composers - the studio itself may not own all the needed rights.

And the BSG game is only 2 model types and a base (plastic production wise) which will have helped a quick turnaround.
    I am trying to be understanding and playing devils advocate but it does smart that this is out so soon.
    -Wah!- I want my T&T kickstarter!

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Von View Post
    And the BSG game is only 2 model types and a base (plastic production wise) which will have helped a quick turnaround.
    I am trying to be understanding and playing devils advocate but it does smart that this is out so soon.
    -Wah!- I want my T&T kickstarter!
    I want my WGS series 7!!
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

"SO SAY WE ALL!!!!" Still on the fence with T & T, now BSG - no way! hey lets do a WWI game, say, call it Wings of Glory, imagine WWI minis and scenarios . . .

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    "SO SAY WE ALL!!!!" Still on the fence with T & T, now BSG - no way! hey lets do a WWI game, say, call it Wings of Glory, imagine WWI minis and scenarios . . .
    And scenarios? Oh yes, count me it.

WWI seriously needs a version of the BOB box for WWII. Still thinking an early/med time frame with DH2's and Eindeckkers for the box planes. Add in a campaign book and have the next wave all fit into the time frame and flavor. Say Alb C3 and Halb D3 for the Germans and Reworked Sop Tri and BE2 for the allies. Add in a trench map to the box and go for it.

Pictures of the WWI series 1 plane reprints are now online on the Wings of Glory, Facebook page. They aren’t very good photos mind you. In the comments, they mentioned there would be an official announcement of the pilot line-up next week. It Looks like Kempf is coming back for the DR.1 along with the Red Baron off ourse, and there defiantly is a German Camel. But it is hard to discern what everything else is other than plane type.

*Also, there are some very generic looking WW2 bombers without their finalized paint schemes as well.

Here is the video from the Ares Facebook page. It shows Raptors and Cylon Heavy Raiders for BSG. Amongst the WW1 planes is an S.E.5a and some Pfalz D.III's in addition to the Camels, Fokker Dr.1's, SPAD XIII's and Albatros D.V's. The WW2 bombers show Dorniers, Ju88's, Blenheims and Savoia-Marchetti's. There is also a shot of the Martian War Machines from Tr & Tr.

https://www.facebook.com/AresGames/v...4706278093738/
    Last edited by Naharaht; 10-24-2018 at 23:09.

Quote Originally Posted by P-51D View Post
    Pictures of the WWI series 1 plane reprints are now online on the Wings of Glory, Facebook page. They aren’t very good photos mind you. In the comments, they mentioned there would be an official announcement of the pilot line-up next week. It Looks like Kempf is coming back for the DR.1 along with the Red Baron off ourse, and there defiantly is a German Camel. But it is hard to discern what everything else is other than plane type.

*Also, there are some very generic looking WW2 bombers without their finalized paint schemes as well.
    I also note the new colour schemes for the Pfalz D.III, very nice even with the poor quality video.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bombers.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	256996

The bomber sculpts look good as well, Blenheim I and IV, Ju88, SM79 Sparviero and Do17Z day-bomber and night-fighter variants. I will have three of each day-bomber and one night-fighter thanks = 22 miniatures.

Damn it Ares just get them out and take my $$$$$!!!!

Did I see new Kempf's Dr.I and red Albatross (D.Va???)?

The dark side of the moon is that I should start practice painting cockpit frames

At last it seems as if things are moving. I'd better get some of the Oberst's bases ordered ready for the onslaught.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christian
    Sorties Flown

I will be there at Spiel 18 in Essen (Germany) on Saturday. Maybe I can take some better pictures.

Regards,

Chris

Yes, please, do it! Or try to ask them about opening the glass

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    WWI seriously needs a version of the BOB box for WWII. Still thinking an early/med time frame with DH2's and Eindeckkers for the box planes. Add in a campaign book and have the next wave all fit into the time frame and flavor. Say Alb C3 and Halb D3 for the Germans and Reworked Sop Tri and BE2 for the allies. Add in a trench map to the box and go for it.
    We can only dream, Ken...

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    . . . and Zeppelins! So say the elves . . .
    I hope that I’m still on the list, Dave....

Thanks for the link David - is that light at the end of the tunnel or some Ares employee with a torch bringing us more news of delay...?
    Good to see the models at last.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Did I see new Kempf's Dr.I and red Albatross (D.Va???)
    Billy Bishops 60 sqn SE5a with the purple nose ? - ugh -
    Kempf has a wing man by the looks of it - looks like it could be Paul Baumers?
    The red Alb DV.a - would they do another MvR alongside the Dr.1 for the series 1 reprint ?
    Other than the tripes I only see two of each scout type from the two releases in the image so there are more to come. Hopefully Chris may get some further intel at Spiel.

Series 4 repaints was said to be:
    Raf SE.5 (Bishop)
    Raf SE.5a (Dallas)
    Raf SE.5a (McCudden)

Pfalz D.IIIa (Berthold)
    Pfalz D.IIIa (Holtzem)
    Pfalz D.III (Voss)

Rumpler C.IV (Luftstreitkräfte 8231)
    Rumpler C.IV (Luftstreitkräfte 8256)
    Rumpler C.IV (Ziegert)

Breguet BR.14 B2 (Escadrille Br 111)
    Breguet BR.14 B2 (Escadrille Br 127)
    Breguet BR.14 A2 (Stanley/Folger)

But that was a while back.
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ies-4-Reprints!
    Last edited by flash; 10-25-2018 at 06:38.

"He is wise who watches"

I just came from the SPIEL. Made some picures but can't upload them here with my phone :-(

That BSG release looks interesting... but Ares won't get any more of my money until I get my T&T purchase. :|

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. National: Good News and some really BAD News
    By Patches in forum US Wing
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-02-2016, 20:30
  2. Ouch! Airplane magazine - good news and bad news.
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 11:47
  3. Theres Good News & Bad News!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-31-2013, 23:46
  4. Series 1 Good News Bad News
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 07:09
  5. Good News, Bad News, Good News, Uncertain News