Ares Games
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any new news?

Default Any new news?

I only went in on a joint pledge for T&T so I am not up to speed on developments as to when T&T will be delivered. As the thread says, any news as to the state of play/delivery?
    Cheers!

It's no big issue that it is behind schedule. Think I heard Sept/Oct for delivery?

Cheers Ken. I agree, a small delay on a kick starter is no worry. I remember the utter disaster that the AvP KS was/is, now that was crazy.

I see that Miniature Market are taking pre-orders for 'Tripods & Triplanes'. https://www.miniaturemarket.com/sear...y#/?_=1&page=3

We had a go at T&T at Origins in a game hosted by Matt (Matt56) - we were given what we were told are the production minis by the Ares USA team at the show. Here is what they look like:

Mk I "Locust"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180615_134910313.jpg 
Views:	543 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	249999

Mk II "Scarab"

Name:	IMG_20180615_134907195.jpg 
Views:	541 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	250000

Mk III "Squid"

Name:	IMG_20180615_134923669.jpg 
Views:	543 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	250001

Mk IV "Cuttlefish"

Name:	IMG_20180615_134919901.jpg 
Views:	544 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	249998

They look good on the table and drew a big crowd

Name:	IMG_20180616_213920838.jpg 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	250002

"He is wise who watches"

Well thats it, i guess ill put in a late pledge. Those look really cool

They look great. I don't suppose that the Ares staff at Origins gave you any hints as to when they will start shipping them, did they?

Jim Long said they would be selling them at GenCon (August). They are listed in the latest Game Trade Magazine with a Q3 2018 release date.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    They look good on the table and drew a big crowd

Name:	IMG_20180616_213920838.jpg 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	250002
    Don't know about the Martians but I do like the Marineflieger Siemens Schuckert, great paint job!

Thank you for that piece of news, Karl.

Not long to wait now then.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks for the update Karl.
    Nice pics Dave, those are big old aliens!

So it would seem August is the ETA for T+T?

A new update just posted, it dont make good reading, so wish now I had not bothered with this

. . . I have totally forgotten what I ordered, probably a good thing, I will be surprised for sure . . . sure, I could look it up, but why spoil the fun?

Seems China is the stick in the mud on this one. We get em when we get em. With the normal supply issues I am glad I got at least one of every walker in the KS so I do not have to chase em down later. Hoping for late August / early September delivery. If this is half as good as it looks I suspect a lot of fence sitters are gonna be upset when we get our shiney new toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Seems China is the stick in the mud on this one. We get em when we get em. With the normal supply issues I am glad I got at least one of every walker in the KS so I do not have to chase em down later. Hoping for late August / early September delivery. If this is half as good as it looks I suspect a lot of fence sitters are gonna be upset when we get our shiney new toys.

isnt it always?

Not just Ares is having Chinese issues. My Blood and Plunder pledge from Firelock Games is delayed as well.

What about getting them made in India or Mexico rather than China. Surely those countries would benefit from some overseas orders?

. . . the elves are not happy either, maybe they should open negotiations with the overseas elves to speed things up . . .

Here are the pictures of the sample Nieuport 16's from the latest Kickstarter update. The pilots featured are Jean Marie Dominique Navarre and Albert Ball. Note the white edges. Ares are still waiting to receive samples of the Fokker Dr.1, Albatros D.V, SPAD XIII and Sopwith Camel models. They hope to receive them next week.

Name:	NavarreNieu16.jpg 
Views:	463 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	250332Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BallNieu16.jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	250333

Here's the BGG interview at Origins with the minis I pictured above

"He is wise who watches"

The Upcoming page on the Ares Games website has been changed today. It now announces that Tripods & Triplanes will be available from September. http://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products

The reprints of the Wings of Glory game mats has been put back until August.

September which year?

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    The reprints of the Wings of Glory game mats has been put back until August.
    Presumably because reprinting a piece of cardboard has a lot of hidden design problems attached to it.
    Rob.

They are the neoprene Town, Countryside and Coast mats, Rob.

Oh sorry Dave, I thought you were talking about the aircraft cockpit mats.
    Rob.

...The reprints of the Wings of Glory game mats has been put back until August.
    Thought they were already available ?

"He is wise who watches"

Just checked the KS comments feed for T&T, here are the latest bits of news:

The parcel containing the sample aircraft was crushed in transit, so the whole process of quality control must start again in this regard.
    Looks like November is the best hope we have for our KS stuff (October less than 50/50 chance).

Little blips happen in production. My hope is that we get our stuff before retailers do though. It was utterly infuriating when a certain company sent retailers the AvP boardgame before the backers got anything at all. It also caused a total pooh storm online that ruined communication with the company forever. No one likes to pay for a product so others can have it first.
    Last edited by Popsical; 07-29-2018 at 02:13.

Depressing news, as I said on ks notes I am appalled with this campaign.

Initially slated for June due to the tripods already to go found out in April/May the prototypes for the WW1 aircraft, not tripods, not been received, a month later still not been received according to Ares update, now the parcel been crushed, assuming the prototypes here and have to be redone. For me dont bode well not only for tripods but any thought of a wave publication. Wasnt a reprint due now ?
    Not an inspiring turn of events for me

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post

The parcel containing the sample aircraft was crushed in transit, so the whole process of quality control must start again in this regard.
    Looks like November is the best hope we have for our KS stuff (October less than 50/50 chance).

Little blips happen in production. My hope is that we get our stuff before retailers do though. It was utterly infuriating when Prodos sent retailers the AvP boardgame before the backers got anything at all. It also caused a total pooh storm online that ruined communication with the company forever. No one likes to pay for a product so others can have it first.
    They mentioned it as a one week delay. Annoying, but I suspect Ares is more annoyed with it than I am.

I wonder if it would be a good idea for Ares to insist on a completion day clause in their contract with the manufacturers!
    Rob.

My hope is that we get our stuff before retailers do though. It was utterly infuriating when Prodos sent retailers the AvP boardgame before the backers got anything at all. It also caused a total pooh storm online that ruined communication with the company forever. No one likes to pay for a product so others can have it first.
    That happened with a Girl Genius Kickstarter once, which is why I no longer support Girl Genius Kickstarters. Or even buy their books.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

. . . the real reason the Martians came at odd intervals, it was not just the relative orbital mechanics of Earth and Mars, but it was also the suppliers from China . . .

Little blips happen in production. My hope is that we get our stuff before retailers do though. It was utterly infuriating when Prodos sent retailers the AvP boardgame before the backers got anything at all. It also caused a total pooh storm online that ruined communication with the company forever. No one likes to pay for a product so others can have it first.

why was it in a package frail enough to get crushed?

frankly it sounds like a "tripod heat rayed my homework" excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    why was it in a package frail enough to get crushed?

frankly it sounds like a "tripod heat rayed my homework" excuse.
    Very perceptive of you Phil. Frankly I had the same thing in my mind, but your turn of phrase had me laughing.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I wonder if it would be a good idea for Ares to insist on a completion day clause in their contract with the manufacturers!
    Rob.
    I doubt that a small company like Ares would have much chance of enforcing something like that in China, Rob.

Ominously and forebodingly, Mars will reach opposition late this month (July), the closest it has been since 2003 (which was the closest it’s been since long before civilization itself). Go out tonight and look up in the late evening (midnight is great) and see the angry red planet burning in the sky. The invasion fleet approaches (China permitting, Trump tariffs and/or blockades permitting, heavy handed parcel handlers permitting...)!

No really, go out and look. Mars has been getting brighter and angrier as the month has gone by, exceeding Jupiter briefly as the fourth brightest object in the sky. Mercury and Venus just after the sun sets in the western sky. I think Jupiter is furthest along after that. Saturn is up a couple of hours before Mars (kinda golden in color rather than reddish).
    Last edited by Dawn Patrol; 07-15-2018 at 15:43.

Tripods & Triplanes Starter Sets now on the Ares site:

WGF800A – WW1 Wings of Glory – Tripods & Triplanes Starter Set
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

If they have the Starter Set out in September I had better get my parcel before any of those appear in the shops, otherwise it will be the last Ares Kickstarter I have anything to do with.
    Rob.

If they have the Starter Set out in September I had better get my parcel before any of those appear in the shops, otherwise it will be the last Ares Kickstarter I have anything to do with.
    Rob.
    I've had that happen a couple of times before. Very disrespectful of the people that funded you to get the product out and then sell at a show before fulfilling commitments.

Two things come to mind.

We will get our stuff NLT end of September. Too late for Doncaster or M-Con, probably.

Kickstarter supporters may be waiting a bit longer, as there are stretch goals that are not part of the Starter Sets, which may be taking a bit longer to develop. I'm thinking of the WGS adaptation that got tacked onto the game. That was not even on the radar at the start of the Kickstarter, so completely untried/untested. If there was any option on a release schedule, I'd put out the WGF version on its own, with the WGS stuff released whenever.
    Mike

As I have not bought into the WGS part it would suit me fine Mike.
    Rob.

Could they possibly do a 'split release' with the Starter Sets, Tripods and Nieuport 16's in September and the new Series 1 aircraft later, when they are ready, or would that be too complicated and costly as regards shipping?

Could they possibly do a 'split release' with the Starter Sets, Tripods and Nieuport 16's in September and the new Series 1 aircraft later, when they are ready, or would that be too complicated and costly as regards shipping?
    Just my meandering, but separate shipping is an extra cost. If they can avoid it, they will. IMHO, the WGS bits might be a few sheets of counters, and not too expensive to ship separately, which is why I speculated they might consider it. This is also considering that Ares has to develop the airplane damage counter mix, with the special damage distribution in a playable amount, and the heat-ray/black smoke damage counters in a balanced distribution, as well. They may have to consider upping shielding and damage resistance on the Tripods, factoring the damage that some planes can throw out in WGS compared to WGF.

Multiple C damage cannons on some fighters is going to be a play-balance issue (a flight of Beaufighters on a straffing run could make for a pretty short game, IMHO).
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Kickstarter supporters may be waiting a bit longer, as there are stretch goals that are not part of the Starter Sets, which may be taking a bit longer to develop. I'm thinking of the WGS adaptation that got tacked onto the game. That was not even on the radar at the start of the Kickstarter, so completely untried/untested. If there was any option on a release schedule, I'd put out the WGF version on its own, with the WGS stuff released whenever.
    Didn't think about Kickstarter extras. A release through Kickstarter is complicated with all the KS exclusives. I'm not in a hurry. I would rather they do a thorough job with any new rules, T&T, WGF and WGS. Not like we don't have enough to play with till then.

Rob.
    I'm with you there Rob!
    Ares will have lost my KS support for the future if they start doing an AvP on me.
    All I'm waiting for is a bunch of WW1 planes, the rest was just garnish.
    Last edited by Popsical; 07-29-2018 at 02:15.

Would not surprise me if the current trade war with China threw a spanner into the works also.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Would not surprise me if the current trade war with China threw a spanner into the works also.
    Ares Games is an Italian board game publisher established in 2011. I did not realize the EU was having trouble with China also.

It's gone very quiet on the update front from Ares...

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. National: Good News and some really BAD News
    By Patches in forum US Wing
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-02-2016, 20:30
  2. Ouch! Airplane magazine - good news and bad news.
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 11:47
  3. Theres Good News & Bad News!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-31-2013, 23:46
  4. Series 1 Good News Bad News
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 07:09
  5. Good News, Bad News, Good News, Uncertain News