Ares Games

Thread: Australian national or state championships?

Default Australian national or state championships?

G'day Cobber, question from the new bloke; has there ever been either Australian national or state championship tournaments for Wings of Glory/War ?

My reason for asking is that we are hatching a plan for a tournament in Melbourne later this year and I don't want to ruffle any feathers with the tournament results. The cheeky side of me wants to name the tournament winner - "Australian Wings of Glory Champion" or "Victorian Wings of Glory Champion". What do you guys think?

Thumbs up

G'day Mick! No there has never been any Championship Tourneys held.
    Might I suggest it best to call your one the "Victorian" as not everyone from "Australia" would be able to attend.

Good luck with your plans.

Hmmm......... in what month?

Good to see you are looking at expanding play opportunities Mick

I have previously participated in Wings of Glory tournaments up here in QLD. The competition usually was run by a club or as part of an event. For example you could run the 'Geelong Gaming Club Wings of Glory Invitational' and the winner would be the 'GGC WoG Champion'.

Having said that I doubt anyone is going to get upset if you call it the 'Victorian' or 'Australian' championships. As long as you promote the tournament well in advance to give players from other cities/states the opportunity to attend if they fancy their chances.

Have you thought of running it as part of a major gaming convention? Arcanacon, Cancon, MOAB, Wintercon spring to mind. Then you could run the event as a tournament under that banner, with all the support the organisers can provide.

In addition I am aware Ares is releasing official tournament rules, which will be invaluable for any such endeavour.

Gary: we have pencilled in Saturday 15 September. Google told me that 15 Sep is Battle of Britain day in the UK, Google can't be wrong can it?

Carl: at this stage this our event looks like it will be quite small. If we generate enough interest I would love to take it to a games convention but our first one will just be held at our friendly local gaming shop. The Victorian Championship thing is just a bit of fun, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't upsetting anyone.

Mate! Battle of Britain Day?

September has a more significant date for our WW1 flyers:

19 September 1918 marks the start of the battle of Megiddo (Armageddon). 100 years on this year!

Good on you Mick, I hope you get a good turnout.

I take it the event will be WGF? As far as I know there has never been a WGS tournament in AUS, something we as a community should rectify sooner rather than later.

No guys, not First World War - it will be Second World War as in Battle of Britain!

The flyer will be posted soon, but it will be 335 point dogfights according to the Ares points system. At 335 points it allows someone with only the BoB starter set to join in without any fussing around deciding what to fly. We have played several BoB dogfights and they are always very balanced. In case you haven't looked at the point system, two Bf 109s come out at 334 points and two MkI Spitfires come to 326 points.

There's a strong Wings of Glory following in WA. Call a tournament in The East the Australian championships and they will add it to their list of secession grievances

I look forward to hearing how plans progress!

The 'official' WGF tournament rules should be released by Ares very soon. It would be great to have clubs organise 'state championships' as feeder events for a national competition

We could organise a national comp each year at one of the various conventions - for example Cancon or Wintercon (ACT), MOAB (NSW), Little Wars (VIC & SA), Briscon (QLD), Swancon (WA) to name just a few (see this thread for AUS conventions list - https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...nventions-List).

Yep onya Mick, ill definitely attend. I reckon if you call it Vic championship, then if someone else does one in another state, we could duel the winners for an Aussie title!

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-19-2016, 03:19
  2. Derby World Championships 4 &5 Oct
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 10-11-2014, 14:27
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-15-2012, 10:18
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-01-2010, 23:57