Ares Games

Thread: Aircraft and Nationality Choices

Johan Werner

Default Aircraft and Nationality Choices

Hello Pilots,

I was wondering if pilots general bought and fly aircraft from only one side I the war or do they buy and fly both sides ?

I was also wondering where the pilots buy their aircraft from, and if sometimes pilots sell aircraft they no longer fly?

Though there are lots of aircraft of those nations taking part in the air war, what are the favourite aircraft of the English, French, American, German and Italian pilots AND WHY ?

The answers will help me in my future purchases.

John Werner (John) Leeds

I think people generally buy models of all sides of the conflict they are interested in - some to run club & participation show games, some to solo game. Not sure I know anybody who has bought into one side only but there are many who have a preference for which side they want to fly for.
    I buy my models from various sources - the aerodrome store being one, Entoyment in Poole, Firepower Games (Roland - thoroughly decent chap) and various other online traders who have had stock over the years some of which have now closed down.
    Favourite planes ? Mostly what is/was being sold by Ares or Nexus (Wings of War), Nieuport 17's were a big favourite of the allied pilots in its day, as well as SE5a's & Camels for the Brits. French flew the SPADs, though a few British squadrons had them too, fast and rugged machines. Anything Fokker for the Germans.
    Nieuport 17s and Albatros D.III's are a good buy whilst they are available.
    Check out this thread for a run down of the machines: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...Aircraft-lt-lt
    It may give you a steer on what you'd like to get.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Dave is right, I try and ensure that I have a fairly balanced collection to enable most variation in games and at shows.
    As for flying its the RFC where ever possible and its the Bristol F2b

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

To lend a perspective from a different theater. Most of my collection revolves around the war in the Pacific. Within that theater I have a fairly balanced collection overall. So, even though I have more US bombers than Japanese bombers I have more Zeros than any other specific aircraft. I do have enough European airplanes to run scenarios with another player or solo but nothing close to the scale of PTO.

ive got all the nationalities thus far released at least represented. i do tend to prefer central powers a/c since theyre so colorful and a large part of my heritage is german. i do like flying other nationalities though and my friend and i switch off frequently.

i get my minis from the flgs and ebay for the most part though ive bought and traded with other enthusiasts as well.

well my all time favorite is the fokker d7. though i like any mini i can play in game lol!

my best advise for purchases is to get any mini you can get your grubby flight gloves on!!!!

WWI: I focused on the Western front, mostly British, French and German minis, but also have some A-H and two Italians. And a personal rule: "One type, one mini" There are plenty of Turkish in stores, for example.

WWII: Taking everything, mostly moni per type, but there are some that can not be played in this way (Spits, German Fighters, not sure about P-51D). Trying to get as far as possible from Shapeways, but sometimes even I lost this battle and I have two Avia B-534 and SE.5a. Hidden gem is a Mediterranean Theatre that was strongly supproted in very first years and plenty of Italians are still in stores.

WW 1 every thing I can get my hands on . WW2 looking to sell all I have .

Everything and anything from WW1 & WW2. No favourites - just want a balanced game wherever I go and with anyone I game with and in whatever stage of the war we are in.

Dave "Flash" has pretty much outlined my sources too, except I do keep an eye on e bay - very very careful there, I am.

As with all my wargame projects/periods, I make sure I have matched forces for both sides - too many times I have turned up with a given force, only to find willing opponents who have no force of their own!

As with Dave (Flash), I buy from "Aerodrome Accessories" (must give support to Keith, in return for all he has done for us addicts!),"Entoyment" in Poole (closest thing I have to a FLGS, and Pete Valinsky is a top bloke), "Firepower Games" (Roland gave us great deals as "Stafford Games", and it's grand to see him back on the horse).

Ebay has been my main source - I have accumulated a VAST collection of planes, including multiple spares, originally for repainting, but I have derived much pleasure from sending them off around the world to fill gaps in other 'Drome members collections.

WW1 : My personal favourite side is German. The majority of players I encounter in the UK want to fly RFC/RAF, so I always have willing opponents. The German planes have much more varied colour schemes, so repainting them is a joy. Historically (and on the table top) the Germans are most often fighting against the odds, or against superior aircraft, so I get a much more satisfying and challenging game.
    My collection is hugely slanted towards Germany, but I can deploy most other nationalities as required.

WW2 : Again, most (if not all) of my opponents want to play British in the Battle of Britain, so I am happy to fly for Germany. My main focus is WW1, but I have accumulated plenty of planes for WW2 Battle of Britain, Western Desert, and early war Pacific (plus a good number of Western Europe 1944 minis, often by accident!). When I can find the time, I want to repaint/reorganise these forces, but at the moment WW1 takes up all my time.

As for favourites, it depends upon the scenario I am playing.

WW1 - if I'm playing to win, late war: Fokker D.VII for the Germans, and SE5a for the British.
    mid war: Albatros D.III for the Germans, and Nieuport 17 for the British.
    If I'm playing for fun, early war: Fokker Eindecker for the Germans, Vickers Gunbus for the RFC (I LOVE my Gunbus!).

WW2 - I haven't played enough games to pick favourites yet, but I enjoyed the Bf.110 for the Germans, and the Hurricane for the British (both not the best available, but a fun challenge).
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. Choices, choices
    By Garieth in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-06-2015, 08:03
  2. Are some planes poor choices without altitude rules?
    By bmwrider in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-31-2014, 09:23
  3. General Overwhelmed by Choices... a little help?
    By fast.git in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-13-2013, 21:14
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-12-2012, 01:50
  5. BLURPINTS OF 358 WWI AIRPLANES, GROUPED BY NATIONALITY OF MAKER
    By usmc1855 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-17-2011, 04:17