Ares Games

Thread: Invasion of Britian! (Or elsewhere)

Question Invasion of Britian! (Or elsewhere)

I know we have until August until our toys arrive but I started thinking about campaigns for the game. I don't how many of you are familiar with Warlord Games in the UK but they had a really cool "Invasion of Britain" summer campaign last year. So, I thought, "Why not shamelessly steal the idea and modify it a bit." Basically the UK was divided into sectors and each side played a certain number of games starting in one or two sectors and branching out from there. Depending on objectives won, troops lost, etc, each sector fell into the hands of one side or the other. At the end of it all, points were tallied and a victor declared. I was thinking this type of campaign would work well for T&T. Here is the link for the initial Warlord article: http://www.warlordgames.com/announce...mmer-campaign/.

Now I've never run a campaign before and really haven't thought about objectives or anything of the like. Having said that, ideas and thoughts on something like this? Of course the eastern US (staring in New Jersey of course!) could be substituted as well. Or France, Germany, etc, etc.

I will have to have a look into this Joe, sounds like a plan.
    As you say it should be adoptable for anywhere in the world - much like Risk in a way - people from different places could play the same scenarios on their home turf and we could monitor how the the invasion is faring worldwide.

"He is wise who watches"

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I assume, Joe, you're talking about an OTT-style campaign, where individuals play scenarios and then report out their results in a thread?

I could easily see something like this as an ongoing series of games that local gaming clubs 'work through' over the course of a defined period of time in whatever public venue they use. It might even generate some interaction between 'clubs' in different countries - this certainly couldn't hurt our Forum and community...

The game I recently ran at Origins generated a lot of passers-by interest and even induced one fellow who preferred WWII to buy into WWI so he could get involved in T and T. There is certainly a lot of potential with this new variation on our beloved game...

All the best,
    Matt

That would work really well I think Matt - You could keep track by using a RISK board or similar for the broader picture - players could find something more detailed perhaps to track their corners of the war, this one by Havoc Boards might suit for the States:

They were proposing boards for cities & the UK but something similar could easily be knocked up I should have thought.

"He is wise who watches"

For the US probably something more regional than state by state. State by state would be a LOT of gaming. At least that was my thought. Although I haven’t played OTT that sounds about right.
    Last edited by BwanaJoe; 07-10-2018 at 13:25.

Probably something like the 1980s Milton-Bradley Fortress America ​would work.

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    For the US probably something more regional than state by state. State by state would be a LOT of gaming. At least that was my thought. Although I haven’t played OTT that sounds about right.
    The map idea was for the GM to keep track of how the overall war is going across the USA not for an individual to play the entire war themselves, they could select a state or city or one of the coloured regions to fight over and the GM could collate the results from AAR. Funnily enough Havoc Boards looked at doing city boards for Risk but any decent sectioned map would work, even the original Risk board might do for this purpose. Depends how people want to play it & how many there are. It's an interesting concept.

In OTT someone writes a scenario & we all play it - it gets a little harder when playing it across two fronts as aircraft, terrain and targets can be very different. For TnT it might be easier if all players play the same scenario on the same front, then next time out or after a couple of games everyone switches to a different front. That way you can switch nationalities, planes in use, locations etc
    eg. You could start with an attack on the Baltic coast of Germany - divi up the number of tripods between the players, collate the results, if the 'pods are close to losing you could play a follow up game to finish them off - if they won schedule another game in Germany later on and switch to the next location like an attack in central France and so on.
    It will take a bit of organising but could be done.
    Last edited by flash; 07-12-2018 at 06:28.

"He is wise who watches"

I like the idea, but would caution that using arcane or rare airplane orders of battle will limit the participation to those who have been at it for a long time and have a deep and varied collection.

Point well taken. (I still want a DH2!) I was envisioning a use what you got kind of thing. My personal problem is that I come from a long line of point value per model kind of games. So, if there are points for the martians just get an equal, or close to it, points worth of airplanes. If not, then I’m not sure how to balance it. And playing unbalanced games, for us non-hardcore types, is generally not much fun.

Thougts?

PS: Flash, great idea. Sorry, somehow missed that post.

Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    I like the idea, but would caution that using arcane or rare airplane orders of battle will limit the participation to those who have been at it for a long time and have a deep and varied collection.
    Well as TnT is set in March 1918 & the release with it is series 1 machines then there's not much arcane about it - I would have thought it possible for everyone to join in. There will be much leeway I'm sure for pilots to bolt rockets onto airframes various and have a go !
    I'd set a scenario & let peeps choose what machines they like, maybe directing they be scouts or two seaters is all, it's sci fi after all so history doesn't have to come into it, you'll then field what you have.
    I'm thinking those that have odd types & prototypes can field them - I have an AFB-1 or two (an experimental type) to field; cannon will be fitted.

Don't do points, never have, so will have to learn by experience - I've played one basic game at Origins - intel so far is: Know how the rocket rules actually work, too many planes get in the way of each other & different pods will require different tactics !
    Last edited by flash; 08-30-2018 at 01:03.

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. battle of britian demo day
    By milcoll73 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-02-2017, 01:10
  2. Battle of Britian curiosity question
    By Setarius in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-31-2017, 20:11
  3. The Battle of Britian?
    By clipper1801 in forum WGS: General Discussions