Ares Games

Thread: WoG Altitude Peg Dimensions Needed

Users Country Flag

Name
    Troy
    Sorties Flown

Default WoG Altitude Peg Dimensions Needed

I have not found a suitable website for the full dimensions for both the scout and bomber altitude pegs, both the main pegs, holes and pins. I have a project that requires all these dimensions but I do not have the necessary tools nor funds to purchase them for myself. So I am reaching out to see if anyone here might have the information I am seeking.

Thanks in advance and keep checking your six.

Troy

did you ever get the dimensions you needed? or do you still need them is a better question I suppose lol

I have measured some pegs and I make the dimensions as follows:

Small pegs: length 17mm, body of peg 13mm, projection 4mm, diameter of body 4.5mm, hole diameter 2.5mm tapering down to 2mm, diameter of projection 2.5mm tapering down to 2mm.

Large pegs: length 19mm, body of peg 13mm, projection 6mm, diameter of body 8.5mm, hole diameter 3.5mm tapering down to 3mm, diameter of projection 3.5mm tapering down to 3mm.

wow small peg.PDF Views: 17 Size: 26.9 KB">wow small peg.PDF

Had some spare time while my laser was running. PDF drawing of the small peg. I'll see about a large peg later tonight or tomorrow.

Note the taper on the hex hole is an estimate, I don't really have a good way to measure that small. As well I just did this with cheap calipers so all dimensions are +/-.002" or so.

Some of the features are intentional design decisions and some are manufacturing considerations... But I'll go into that in a different thread

I only made my measurements using a plastic ruler, so they may not be accurate enough for what you are doing. Are you planning on producing your own pegs?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Troy
    Sorties Flown

Thank you all for your assistance. As I have been having difficulty int finding 'official' bomber/balloon pegs online your information will help me greatly. Some time back another member mentioned that they were having difficulties with setting up gimble mounts. A different user suggested using 9mm bearings for this instead of the smaller ones from the Aerodrome store and from my own experiments this seems to be the best size for maintaining aircraft position for all types of craft on the gimble. As I have a very limited number of the larger bomber type pegs, it is my intention to substitute wooden doweling for these and mount my gambles using a polyurethane adhesive (here in the US known as Gorilla Glue) to set the bearings and magnates to the pegs and then using a 9mm diameter sized electronic heat shrink tubing as a finale means of securing it all. Since I paint my pegs a light sky blue anyway, using doweling will not be much difference.

Thanks you all again.

I got busy but I'll try and get the bomber peg done tonight. I'm thinking of machining some out of acrylic anyways so I need to draw them up for that

Instead of machining, you could potentially make them out of appropriately sized tube and rod.

The outer diameter of the shaft isn't critical except for aesthetic reasons... only that of the peg and hole, plus the heights.

That would be an option if you can find tube with a 3/32" ID. But if you have a small lathe then it is about an even amount of work to machine one as to assemble one since you need to taper the peg anyways.

Fair point.

The other day, looking through my spare parts boxes for something to use as pegs for Velom kits, I discovered that the butt ends of GW Brettonian Knight lances are pretty much perfect. You may need to file them a little, but the taper appears spot on.

That would certainly save me a lot of turning acrylic rod, ort spoiling existing pegs Mark.
    Thanks for the tip off.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

No worries, Rob

They're in that category of spare part where you get a couple more in the box than you need, as well (especially if you make up lots with hand weapons). I've used the pointy end of some of those lance arms for other projects, so it felt good to use up a little bit more.

Similar Missions

1. General Oeffag C.II dimensions
    By ReducedAirFact in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-26-2016, 22:36
  2. Balloon Base dimensions
    By BB401 in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2015, 19:04
  3. Balloon Dimensions?
    By Goggles24 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7