Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Wings of Glory WWII (Located in Southeastern Pa)

Default New to Wings of Glory WWII (Located in Southeastern Pa)

Hello everyone!

I am brand new to the game. I have always been a huge lover of aviation. I have played Axis and Allies and hundreds of similar board games since I was a kid and I am a huge WWII militaria collector.

I am located in Southeastern PA. I am brand new to the game, I ordered my starter set last night. My question is, does anyone local to the area I listed play the game? Also, what does one suggest as a decent German air force? Last question... I see the game says 2-4+ how is one able to play with more than 4 players? Does each person get a single plane? Thank you all and I can't wait to get a couple flights under my belt!

Side note: if anyone is interested in seeing real warbirds fly, please check out WWII Weekend in Reading, Pa. I have been going since I was a child and it's one of the best airshows in the nation!

Hi Eric and welcome to the 'drome from the beautiful Hudson River Valley. In July Historicon (called the Mother of all wargame conventions) will be held in Lancaster, PA. Teaticket (Peter) on this site will be running multiple games at the convention. I've played in his big games before and they are a load of fun and new player friendly. You may want to consider coming to Historicon (it's at the Lancaster Host Resort).
    Bill

Smile

G'day Eric & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.
    I presume you have grabbed the Battle of Britain box set as your "starter set"?
    If so you will need to obtain some more ME 109's some Hurricanes & for the Germans a couple of Stukas, a ME 110 or 2 & a Heinkel. Unfortunately Heinkels are like Hens Teeth but you might find one of the Winter Camo ones which you could repaint.
    There are more light bombers planned for release later this year so you can look forward to those.

Greetings from a very rainy Space Coast. Great group of people here so ask a lot questions and be sure to check out the Files section. Have fun.

That sounds like a plan! I might just do that. I'm maybe... 30 minutes from Lancaster. Go figure!

Gully,

Thank you so much! That is correct! The Battle of Britain Starter Set. If anyone has extra pieces they are willing to sell, I'd love to buy! How many mats should I purchase? Also, about the 4+ player question, how is it possible to play with many people? Thank you so much!

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Eric, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom. As you deduced, for more than four people to play, you will have to buy some more aeroplane models. You may have a local games shop, which sells Wings of Glory, or you may want to search the internet but shop around because some places on the internet have models for sale at ridiculously high prices. On this website you will find a link to the Aerodrome Store, which is a good place to buy models.

Eric, welcome aboard sir...

Get ready to play the greatest aviation table top mature game in the world (literally)...

Great to have you on board...

Chris

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Eric, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

As you deduced, for more than four people to play, you will have to buy some more aeroplane models.

You may have a local games shop, which sells Wings of Glory, or you may want to search the internet but shop around because some places on the internet have models for sale at ridiculously high prices.

On this website you will find a link to the Aerodrome Store, which is a good place to buy models. However, it appears to be low on stock at the moment.

To accompany your Battle of Britain starter set, you may be able to find more Spitfire I's and Me-109E's, also Hawker Hurricanes, Ju-87 Stukas and possibly Me-110's. As Barry wrote, the Heinkel III bomber models are extremely rare now but Ares Games are planning on releasing models of the Dornier Do-17, Junkers Ju-88, Bristol Blenheim and Savoia-Marchetti S.M.79 in the near future.

Hello Eric, collecting the planes you want is half the fun. Enjoy your games.

Welcome aboard Eric. To answer your question about numbers of aircraft per player for WW2 games I recommend each player run an element of two aircraft for fighters or three for bombers.

Welcome to the Aerodrome Eric.

If you end up going to Historicon I'll have to get your cell # when it gets closer. I have one official game on Saturday evening on Guadalcanal. I had planned on running 3 more different Wings games but only the one made it through registration. I'll do what I can to get a table and let you know where and when if I do.

(welcoming head bobs) from the lizard. Other people have answered most of your questions, so I'll just add:
    in multiplayer games (mor than 4), it often helps to have an uninvolved gamesmaster, who is thoroughly familiar with the rules to track a lot of the "extras". And this also allows for some other options, like the possibility of revealing "obvious" damage (like smoke, fire, aircrew wounds) to the player whose plane was targeted. Sometimes found t tournament games at conventions, for example.

Thank you all so much for the quick answers and friendly atmosphere!
    Peter- That works for me! I would love to partake. I will try and get as many games under my belt before then!

So far I have the starter set of Battle of Britain and I picked up a Me 110 and a Beaafighter for my British opponent. I also picked up a game mat.

I guess the idea now is to get some bombers and or more fighters? Thank you all so much and I hope to meet some of you!

Eric,
    I hope to meet you at Historicon
    Bill

Welcome to the Drome Eric, all the way from (currently) sunny Devon in the south west of England. Enjoy!!!

Welcome to the 'Drome' Eric, from over here in the good old UK. West Yorkshire to be exact.
    Have fun, fly safe and always watch your six!

Thank you all for the warmest of welcomes! I just thought of another question while I was driving home. Is there a point system in play? For example, If I take 2 Me109s and my opponent takes 5 Spitfires. What prevents people from doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jiglypuf62 View Post
    Thank you all for the warmest of welcomes! I just thought of another question while I was driving home. Is there a point system in play? For example, If I take 2 Me109s and my opponent takes 5 Spitfires. What prevents people from doing this?
    The short answer is nothing. I personally have an issue with matched forces as this was rarely the case in combat. There are no end of accounts of aerial combat with vastly differing numbers involved. I find matched forces are a bit boring on occasion. Much better to be the outnumbered flyer in a superior aircraft.

welcome to the drome Eric from the land of buckeyes!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Arizona (Otherwise known as Hell's back porch)
    Sorties Flown

Welcome from Arizona Eric!

I rarely play what could be described as 'balanced' missions. Do some research on historical missions and see if the players can match or beat the outcomes. If you only have a couple of Spits against a larger number of 109s give the Spitfires an initial altitude advantage, or a better position say on the enemy formation's six o'clock. You could also give the Germans limited fuel which means they can only play so many cards before they have to leave the board and head for home.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    I rarely play what could be described as 'balanced' missions. Do some research on historical missions and see if the players can match or beat the outcomes. If you only have a couple of Spits against a larger number of 109s give the Spitfires an initial altitude advantage, or a better position say on the enemy formation's six o'clock. You could also give the Germans limited fuel which means they can only play so many cards before they have to leave the board and head for home.
    Carl thank you! The game should arrive to my doorstep late this week. I am very excited to test it out as I am used to games like Axis and Allies and other games with mass amounts of dice rolls. I could be wrong but the game seems to be based on overall skill and the ability to outmaneuver your opponent with a tiny bit of luck mixed in. I think I have watched every Wings of Glory WWII video on youtube there is about the game!

Now here is the next question and perhaps the veteran players would be able to help. I have looked far and wide for the German He 111. I would love to run a German bomber for a Battle of Britain scenario with friends and family. Does anyone know of anyone selling the famed He 111?

Carl thank you! The game should arrive to my doorstep late this week. I am very excited to test it out as I am used to games like Axis and Allies and other games with mass amounts of dice rolls. I could be wrong but the game seems to be based on overall skill and the ability to outmaneuver your opponent with a tiny bit of luck mixed in. I think I have watched every Wings of Glory WWII video on youtube there is about the game!

Now here is the next question and perhaps the veteran players would be able to help. I have looked far and wide for the German He 111. I would love to run a German bomber for a Battle of Britain scenario with friends and family. Does anyone know of anyone selling the famed He 111?
    I have been looking to, try posting in the Sale, Trade, and Wanted Classified, I have a thread there looking for a He 111, you could try posting on that or making your own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Future Pilot View Post
    I have been looking to, try posting in the Sale, Trade, and Wanted Classified, I have a thread there looking for a He 111, you could try posting on that or making your own thread.
    I was actually able to find a He111 (the ugly cow camo scheme) online this morning. I bought it immediately! The starter set comes today, so I'm very excited to read the rule book and see the models up close.

So far this is what I have coming

Axis
    2 Me 109 (Starter Set)
    1 BF 110
    1 Me 109 K-4
    HE 111
    FW190

Allies
    2 Spitfires (Starter Set)
    Beaufighter
    2 Spitfire Mk.IX
    B-17
    P-51

2 Gaming Mats (Coast and Industrial)

How does this look list look so far?

I was actually able to find a He111 (the ugly cow camo scheme) online this morning. I bought it immediately! The starter set comes today, so I'm very excited to read the rule book and see the models up close.

So far this is what I have coming

Axis
    2 Me 109 (Starter Set)
    1 BF 110
    1 Me 109 K-4
    HE 111
    FW190

Allies
    2 Spitfires (Starter Set)
    Beaufighter
    2 Spitfire Mk.IX
    B-17
    P-51

2 Gaming Mats (Coast and Industrial)

How does this look list look so far?

Sounds good! Where did you get the He 111 from?

Sounds good! Where did you get the He 111 from?
    Game Time Miniatures! However I bought a B-17 from them 2 days ago on ebay and it has yet to ship. So I'm praying that it's not one of those companies that will make me wait a month before the items come in.

Game Time Miniatures! However I bought a B-17 from them 2 days ago on ebay and it has yet to ship. So I'm praying that it's not one of those companies that will make me wait a month before the items come in.
    Thank you! My brother and I ordered planes off on amazon and it took three weeks

He 111 is out of stock and you got one

He 111 is out of stock and you got one
    I promise I'll treat it well!

Got the set today in the mail and play tested 2 games. Won once and lost once via one on one. How does one simply "turn around" in the game? Most of the cards seem to be evasive movements.

Got the set today in the mail and play tested 2 games. Won once and lost once via one on one. How does one simply "turn around" in the game? Most of the cards seem to be evasive movements.
    How to turn around, Look in your fighter decks till you find a card that looks like this
    Name:  R2.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  240.3 KB
    That is how you turn around, you play a straight at high speed before it, then the Immelmann, then a straight at slow speed, and that is how you turn around.
    Hope that helps
    -Daniel

Thank you for clarifying that! Now my next question... how the heck do I defeat the Beaufighter in combat? I was looking at the stats and they seem deadly in close range. I am sticking to standard rules my first couple games, so I'm not sure if that changes anything.

Lightbulb

Thank you all so much for the quick answers and friendly atmosphere!
    Peter- That works for me! I would love to partake. I will try and get as many games under my belt before then!

So far I have the starter set of Battle of Britain and I picked up a Me 110 and a Beaafighter for my British opponent. I also picked up a game mat.

I guess the idea now is to get some bombers and or more fighters? Thank you all so much and I hope to meet some of you!
    G'day again Eric!
    You really need at least two mats & preferably 3 for a good game especially for WW2 as the planes are so much faster.

Smile

Thank you for clarifying that! Now my next question... how the heck do I defeat the Beaufighter in combat? I was looking at the stats and they seem deadly in close range. I am sticking to standard rules my first couple games, so I'm not sure if that changes anything.
    Eric the Beaufighter is very deadly & is somewhat overpowered if used as a Fighter.
    I mainly use mine in Pacific War battles against ships.

Default How to Defeat a Beaufighter in Combat

If you want to defeat a Beaufighter in combat. First, stay out of range until you see how the other pilot handles his plane, Next, using his tactics against him, get behind him and fire at will. Until he is shot down.

It takes a bit to get used to fighting a Beaufighter, but with a good airplane and a lot of skill under your wing, you probably will get him.

Some good airplanes that I would recommend are the Me109 K-4, two Me109 E-3s, or a Me262.
    Last edited by Future Pilot; 05-17-2018 at 04:47.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    G'day again Eric!
    You really need at least two mats & preferably 3 for a good game especially for WW2 as the planes are so much faster.
    Just bought another mat! I should have 2 mats here in the next couple days. I cannot wait. Yes, that Beaufighter is scary as hell. I guess I need to flank it

I will be playing a larger game this weekend or the next. I shall keep you all updated. So far I love it! I am hooked and bought a bunch of planes I listed above.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    G'day again Eric!
    Just bought another mat! I should have 2 mats here in the next couple days. I cannot wait. Yes, that Beaufighter is scary as hell. I guess I need to flank it

I will be playing a larger game this weekend or the next. I shall keep you all updated. So far I love it! I am hooked and bought a bunch of planes I listed above.

welcome to the drome Eric!!!! i see we share a mutual interest in militaria. ie collected ww1 and ww2 militaria since the age of 8 in 1973 (hence my moniker milcoll73).

my standard advice concerning minis. grab any that you can get your grubby paws on!!!!

Welcome to the 'Drome, Eric, from across the pond!

If you see a mini at a good price, snag it.

If there's anything you wish to sell, or anything in particular you are wanting to buy, start a thread in the "Market Place" on this Forum - someone might be able to help out.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    welcome to the drome Eric!!!! i see we share a mutual interest in militaria. ie collected ww1 and ww2 militaria since the age of 8 in 1973 (hence my moniker milcoll73).

my standard advice concerning minis. grab any that you can get your grubby paws on!!!!
    Phillip, I am 28 years old and I have been collecting since I was 7 years old. Here is just a very, very small part of my Luftwaffe collection
    Last edited by Jiglypuf62; 05-18-2018 at 08:13. Reason: Wrong picture

Whoops! Wrong picture Perhaps an admin can delete that hahah!

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post

https://ibb.co/ndU2Ld

here is the correct picture!

Where did you get the hats?

And the Iron Cross?

Usually auctions is where I got most of my stuff or other dealer friends. That is a very, very small part of my collection. Around 1% of it. Of course everything is original to WWII.

Do you know of any websites that sell things like that?

Do you know of any websites that sell things like that?
    I mean, I'm not sure what the rules of this group is, but I can always sell you some items I have.

If you want to..............................

Be very careful of buying from dealers websites site unseen. Heck, be careful in general. Nazi stuff is some of the most faked stuff around. A couple of the locals here tell stories of delaers who have been around years and will gladly pass on fake stuff to unsuspecting customers. So if you are going to start collecting, befriend an expert. Or, just buy repro for display. There are some really good reproductions out there.

Just so no one misunderstands, I’m not saying Eric is trying to defraud anyone. On purpose or by accident.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. List of ALL WWII Wings of War/Wings of Glory Airplanes
    By Dwarflord22 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-02-2016, 14:53
  2. WGS WTS WWII Wings of Glory/War
    By Greywolf in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-17-2015, 22:02
  3. Newbie question - WWII Wings of Glory versus Wings of War
    By Gangrel in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-29-2014, 21:26
  4. WGF wings of War wwII & wings of glory wwII complet collection for sale !
    By Scanetsu in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-31-2014, 13:11
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-19-2012, 13:59