Ares Games

Thread: The Cowman's Trip to the National Museum of USAF.

Default The Cowman's Trip to the National Museum of USAF.

On Wednesday December the 15th, I was lucky enough to get a chance to once again visit the National Museum of the United States Air Force at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio. My good Buddy Jim and I decided to make this our precursor to the Wings of War tourney being held at Krystal Keep in Dayton later that evening.

Now the first thing you need to know about this museum is that it is huge! To thoroughly check out every one of the thousands of exhibits in the museum would take quite a few days. The Museum consists of seven different hangar sized galleries, an outdoor air park, and a restoration facility(currently restoring the B-17F Memphis Belle.) The museum has also officially requested th transfer of the NASA Space Shuttle Atlantis upon its retirement, and is planning the construction of a new 200,000 square foot climate controlled building to house the shuttle and other Space related exhibits, in addition to the aircraft currently in the Presidential Gallery.

For this trip we only had about five hours and decided to spend them visiting the Early Years Gallery, The Modern Flight Gallery, The Cold War Gallery, The Missile and Space Gallery, and the Presidential Gallery. I have uploaded pictures I took from the Early Years Gallery to an album which can be found here. Please feel free to peruse them and comment. Here are a few teaser pictures to get you interested:

Please note that taking pictures in this museum can be quite difficult due to the low lighting conditions... I did the best I could!
    Last edited by The Cowman; 12-17-2010 at 12:04.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

While this picture is NOT WoW related I could not resist sharing it as well, since the mere sight of this aircraft gives me the chills... as does the price tag...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF6110.jpg  
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Neat pics. I didn't know they had Rahn's Dr.I. Your pictures show the bracing wires better than most.

What is the thing that looks like an x-wing in your second post?

That would be the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor. It was difficult to get a good picture of it due to its positioning in the Gallery. The projected cost per unit of the aircraft is an incredible 339 million Dollars per aircraft. The U.S Government has ordered 187 F-22s, with production scheduled to continue through 2011. Three of the aircraft have crashed since 2004. Nonetheless I would not want to be on the receiving end of an air combat with one of these fighters...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Tony Stark's responsible for wrecking one of them Beautiful plane, still not as sexy as the Su-47 Berkut but at least it's actually going to be in service.

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by IRM View Post
    Tony Stark's responsible for wrecking one of them

Great pics, thanks for sharing.
    Daggone lone wolf superheroes... what are ya gonna do????

Oh and Thanks! My momma taught me always to share!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Excellent album Ken. That museum has long been on my list of 'must-see' places when I am in the the States next.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing Ken.

Lucky.

Great bit of reportage as usual Ken. You did very well with the pictures whatever you say. Thanks.
    Rob
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Excellent album Ken. That museum has long been on my list of 'must-see' places when I am in the the States next.
    If you are in the area and want to go just send me a tell! I'll buy you lunch in the commissary!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Default from ronald

nice pic. had to be fun!fun!fun! would love to go there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RonaldRS View Post
    nice pic. had to be fun!fun!fun! would love to go there!!!
    You guys are not that far away... you should make the trip, visit the museum, stay the night, and then visit again the next day... that way you would have a chance to see everything! The museum itself is free... it would make for an inexpensive weekend vacation getaway!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

This is one place I have been dying to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullduggery View Post
    This is one place I have been dying to go to.
    Brian... my fellow Ohio friend... you live so close... say the word... come down and pick me up, I'll chip in for the gas, and put you up for the night, so you can drive back the next day! If I lived in Dayton I would go once a week! Maybe we could plan it when they are playing WoW at Krystal Keep in Dayton that evening... only five miles from the museum!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

On their website you can browse around the museum as a virtual tour. It sure gives you an idea how large the place is.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    Brian... my fellow Ohio friend... you live so close... say the word... come down and pick me up, I'll chip in for the gas, and put you up for the night, so you can drive back the next day! If I lived in Dayton I would go once a week! Maybe we could plan it when they are playing WoW at Krystal Keep in Dayton that evening... only five miles from the museum!
    so very tempting.
    Hmmm the wife has been wanting a weekend together without the kids. I just won't tell her where we are going until after we pick you up on the way to the museum Mua ha ha

so very tempting.
    Hmmm the wife has been wanting a weekend together without the kids. I just won't tell her where we are going until after we pick you up on the way to the museum Mua ha ha
    LOL!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

so very tempting.
    I don't know how you'd keep that a secret - she'd ask alot of questions like "Where are we going?" or " What's this all about?" or "What's Larry doing in the back seat?"

Seriously, I've been to the museum 4 times, but not in the last 10 years. It was a wonderful place then and it looks like they've made some big improvements since.

And you can go to Wright-Pat AFB and see the crashed ufo in hanger 18.

I love that museum and try to go there each Summer. Glad you had fun there and it was fun meeting you and flying against ya!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Keith Todd
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the info and the pics, sometimes I wish I did not live on the west coast.

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post

I don't know how you'd keep that a secret - she'd ask alot of questions like "Where are we going?" or " What's this all about?" or "What's Larry doing in the back seat?"

Seriously, I've been to the museum 4 times, but not in the last 10 years. It was a wonderful place then and it looks like they've made some big improvements since.

And you can go to Wright-Pat AFB and see the crashed ufo in hanger 18.
    Jim and I were gonna try to sneak into Hangar 18, but some of the older Vets they have volunteerig there looked like they might be packin'... so we let it slide... for this time..
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Similar Missions

1. Cowman's Terrain Projects
    By The Cowman in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-26-2010, 09:51
  2. Cowman's Zeppelin Projects...
    By The Cowman in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-11-2010, 19:15
  3. The National Collection of Aerial Photography
    By Yosser in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 3