Ares Games

Thread: Rickenbacker's SPAD XIII

Default Rickenbacker's SPAD XIII

I have not one but two copies of the Revised Deluxe Edition boxed set (it was cheaper to buy another boxed set than to try and find and purchase the minis sepparately).

Included in the set is a SPAD XIII purported to be in the personal markings of Cpt. Eddie Rickenbacker, USAS. The mini is quite attractive, and reasonably accurate as a representation of the type. But... in all my searches, in books and on the internet, I have found not one picture/illustration/reference to Rickenbacker flying a SPAD XIII bearing the number "26". Almost all the illustration are of an aircraft numbered "1". I am a bit curious as to why that is, and why the publishers chose #26 for the boxed set. Can anyone provide som illumination on this matter?

Chris

The revised set SPAD XIII is Frank Luke's, not Rickenbacker's. There is a mini released for Rickenbacker in Set 1, and the original deluxe set used Baracca's SPAD.

This is a Spad XIII repainted in Rickenbaker's Hat in the Ring markings at the National Museum of USAF.

Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

The main reason I am getting the Revised set is to get Luke's Spad. The Baron will most likely end up as a Jasta 11 repaint. Not decided about the rest yet.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    The main reason I am getting the Revised set is to get Luke's Spad. The Baron will most likely end up as a Jasta 11 repaint. Not decided about the rest yet.
    Rob.
    Funny... I bought the revised set just for the minis as well... I figure the cards and pilot boards can be backup sets!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Rob.
    Luke's Spad was the only reason I was considering getting the set.

Rob.
    You are aware that while it is the Baron's DRI it is a slightly different paint scheme? Just sayin' in case...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Yes Ken. That is why I think it will repaint easily as another Jasta 11 pilot. One bloody Red Barron is more than enough for me to contend with.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Yes Ken. That is why I think it will repaint easily as another Jasta 11 pilot. One bloody Red Barron is more than enough for me to contend with.
    Rob.
    OK... just checking!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Similar Missions

1. Spad XIII Wasp
    By BryanR in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-21-2011, 04:13
  2. SPAD XIII decals
    By sucklingpig in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 07:36
  3. Wings of War SPAD XIII vs. Reveresco SPAD XIII
    By sucklingpig in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8