Ares Games

Thread: Has anyone done a Palestine campaign?

Default Has anyone done a Palestine campaign?

Been reading up on the Australian Flying Corps , and in particular 1st Squadron AFC/67 Squadron RFC (Australian) and their opposite number and rival FA 300.

Has anyone done a campaign for those units, or that theatre?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mrinku View Post
    Been reading up on the Australian Flying Corps , and in particular 1st Squadron AFC/67 Squadron RFC (Australian) and their opposite number and rival FA 300.

G'day Mark, not to my knowledge although I think Carl has some AFC SE 5a's in his collection plus some Aussie DH-5's.

Hi Mark.

I have not yet, as many of the early 1 Sqn AFC aircraft have not yet been produced as 'official' Ares WGF miniatures - the BE2 series, BE12, Martinsyde, etc.

I have done up a couple of historical Palestine front mission scenario cards:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-or-7-players)

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-or-2-players)

The resources for these scenarios were the official AFC history (which can be downloaded from the Australian War Memorial website as a PDF - https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1417020) and from Molkentin's book 'Fire in the Sky'.

Yeah, it was reading the Molkentin book and the AWM stuff that sparked my interest.

It wouldn't be too hard to run the phase of the campaign that actually saw the most air combat with published planes - Late 1917 through to the end - as the Germans had Albatros D.III and various 2-seaters (for which the Albatros C.III and Rumpler C.IVc would proxy fine), with some Albatros DVa and Pfaltz D.III turning up near the end. On the Entente side you'd be covered by the Bristol F2b, SE5a and RE8. Of course, that's largely after the 1st Squadron/FA 300 rivalry, which was with the older machines (plus FA 300's two Albatros D.III).

Nice mission cards! I only need one more Alb D.III to run the first one

Edit: Carl, getting back to the earlier birds - do you have any information about the modifications Wackett made to his BE2? Also interested in the "Yellow Peril" flown by Paul and Weir. Both are mentioned in Moltenkin, sourced from Wackett's and Sutherland's memoirs respectively.

I've not found any picture of the Peril, though it sounds like it would make a great model.
    Last edited by mrinku; 05-05-2018 at 18:40.

Edit: Carl, getting back to the earlier birds - do you have any information about the modifications Wackett made to his BE2? Also interested in the "Yellow Peril" flown by Paul and Weir. Both are mentioned in Moltenkin, sourced from Wackett's and Sutherland's memoirs respectively. I've not found any picture of the Peril, though it sounds like it would make a great model.
    From the descriptions provided Wackett's 'improvised Lewis gun turret' allowed the observer when standing in his seat to 'engage enemy aircraft anywhere in the upper hemisphere.'

It sounds as if the turret raised the Lewis gun up sufficiently to clear the top wing and provided for 360 degree traverse. I have never seen an image or a drawing of the mount.

Yeah. In game terms it'd be fairly easy to do... shift the observers field of fire to 360 degrees same or higher level, but no firing at lower level, or if there was a climb counter difference with the target lower. Maybe a blind spot at the same level if turning on the side opposite to the turn?

There was also mention of Wackett having a overwing gun when flying solo to do bombing. That may have been the same rig fixed to fire forward, or a more conventional setup.
    Last edited by mrinku; 05-06-2018 at 14:15.

Yeah. In game terms it'd be fairly easy to do... shift the observers field of fire to 360 degrees same or higher level, but no firing at lower level, or if there was a climb counter difference with the target lower. Maybe a blind spot at the same level if turning on the side opposite to the turn?

There was also mention of Wackett having a overwing gun when flying solo to do bombing. That may have been the same rig fixed to fire forward, or a more conventional setup.
    Yes, a fixed Lewis gun firing forward over the propeller arc. There is no evidence the gun could be moved back like the Foster mount to reload.

Yeah. I can't see that as pilot in the rear seat it would be even possible to access a top wing gun in a BE2, even IF it was rigged with a Foster mount. It was hard enough for the Martinsyde pilots to manage their pre-Foster mount arrangement, and they were sitting directly underneath.

Still... better an inaccessible MG than nothing.
    Last edited by mrinku; 05-06-2018 at 22:54.

Similar Missions

1. Air battles over Palestine in WWI and how we flew Turks!
    By Nightbomber in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-22-2016, 01:12
  2. General Air battles over Palestine
    By Nightbomber in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-16-2016, 11:58
  3. Death From Above Campaign: An Air and Ground Campaign
    By rkwright in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2014, 09:53
  4. Replies: 0