Ares Games

Thread: A quick question about tailing.

Default A quick question about tailing.

So I finally tried the tailing rules today (I know, it took me a while to get round to using them, even used altitude before), and I have a question.
    The rules say that you plan all three maneuvers and then the enemy reveals his first card for you to see and then potentially redistribute your own to best adapt.
    Does that mean tailing can only happen if you are at the start of the turn? It's how it seems to me.
    However imagine you are behind someone after your first card and find yourself in perfect tailing position.
    Can you then call tailing and see their second card and rejigg yours to tail? Maybe that is too easy?
    Thoughts.

I'm far from the expert here so other's will, I'm sure, better advise. But in the interim. I always though you had to be tailing at the end of the last turn to gain an advantage this turn.

Cheers Ken, thats how I read it too.
    I wonder if anyone has tried starting tailing at any point during a turn?

It seems to me that starting tailing in the middle of the turn would be awkward in the extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post
    Cheers Ken, thats how I read it too. I wonder if anyone has tried starting tailing at any point during a turn?
    The rules state clearly: "Check for tailing before each planning phase" so only at the the start of the turn is correct, though I know there are some who have played it from any point in the turn.

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks Dave/flash,

I'm still hoping we can get complete PDF rules. That way I could read up during lunch.

Cheers Dave, I can see why some might play where you can start tailing at any point. I will stick to the basic version for the foreseeable future.

I have only ever achieve Tailing twice, and on both occasions my guns jammed on the first card!
    Would love to get further opportunities.

And yes, Tailing can only be commenced if the criteria are met in the final position of a game turn, ie it starts on the first card of a new turn.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I achieved it first game I tried the rule yesterday flying an albatross d2 against AI nieuport 11. Would have gone better had the crafty beggar not immediately immelmann turned and given me two b deck cards for 4 hits! At least I have him 2 a deck cards for 5 damage and a fire!

never had much use for the tailing rules. in most cases rearanging what ive already plotted would do more harm than good.

I changed my second and third cards over to get a shot off (and get shot).

Similar Missions

1. Help--Quick question
    By Setarius in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-15-2017, 20:27
  2. Replies: 53
    Last Post: 07-09-2013, 08:41
  3. Tailing question
    By skywatcher in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-26-2013, 22:46
  4. Quick question