Ares Games
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 May Workbench

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    12.5 % is not plastic shrinkage! I cant imagine the Chinese manufacturers making that kind of change without anyone one approving it. Just a bad call on the scale, which was Warlords call. Those who are not particular of scale will find a nice source for minis, mine have re-warped and have been stricken from duty, soon to be passed on . . . sorry they did not prove what we were hoping for.
    Sorry Clipper I think you are wrong on that one - when I queried the shrinkage w Warlord they said "wtf?" or words to that effect, they were as surprised as me, but I guess it was too late by then to fix. As it happens I checked the P51 is 55mm span on the resin master and 52mm on the plastic (may be a mm either way due to my eyes). I'm not happy with it, but on the whole it will impact my enjoyment not 1 percent I don't think its in any way a deal breaker. Each to their own

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Well...Clippers comments just decided the BRS/AIM choice for me. Warping is NOT an option (but fragile with bubble holes is?) Soon as I get ahead again an order will go out for those three HE111's and a few Defiants....and maybe a couple of P40's....hmmm....a DO17.....sigh..this is gonna get expensive....ah yes..then decals....and bases from the web store.....
    Don't buy AIM then - they can warp too!

AIM are great models, and if you are buying for WoG they make more sense than BRS at the moment, but do it on objective grounds. The AIM Do17 is a beaut - but the tail does warp. It is easily fixed, as easily as the BRS ones in fact. The AIM 110s, theyre great, but the wings AND the tails warp and are easily fixed - I know, I just painted 6

Some help for the Allies in the desert....all glossed and ready for decals, weathering, detail painting and matte finish....should be ready for prime time by June.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20180515_19_32_19_Pro.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	247095

I have over 100 AIM planes and only had 3 that had a warp problem. 2 Cant Z's had the tails warped but did the warm water thing and they straightened right out. The other was a wing on an MS 406 and again no problem with the warm water fix. For me Dave (AIM) has the planes ARES doesn't make yet and Kevin (MISCMINI) is the decal man. He has just made decals for Gladiators and Dave is working on them so another source for planes out of print.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    I have over 100 AIM planes and only had 3 that had a warp problem. 2 Cant Z's had the tails warped but did the warm water thing and they straightened right out. The other was a wing on an MS 406 and again no problem with the warm water fix. For me Dave (AIM) has the planes ARES doesn't make yet and Kevin (MISCMINI) is the decal man. He has just made decals for Gladiators and Dave is working on them so another source for planes out of print.
    I think highly of AIM models, too, Bob, but I've had quite a few more warped than that, and I have at least 100 myself. Multi-engine aircraft are the most frequent culprits, but I've had several single-engine, single seat models with warping issues as well. Living in southern Nevada probably doesn't help, although I tend to think that any resin models shipped long distances/overseas are probably more susceptible to warping. The warm water trick has always worked for me as well, although for several models (most recently a B-24D) it has requited multiple efforts.

Good hints all.

Now for a few more just finished projects. Zombicide GH characters, a Massive Darkness Ratlings box, and a couple from a Bolt action pair of starter armies I am doing for the local hobby shop, got the Germans done tonight. (Yes, thay wanted them unbased so they could match some other store stuff) The GH and Massive stuff will also be removed from the bases and mounted on clear discs so not flocking there either.

Attachment 247106Attachment 247107Attachment 247108Attachment 247109

Darryl I have 4 B-24 and 3 B-29's of his and had no problem with them. I have 3 Shapeways Swordfish, Fulmars and Nell's but the rest of my planes are AIM or the official ones. I just received an order this week and the planes are as good as always. Dave said he is working on a Fw 200 so I can't wait for that.

Darryl I have 4 B-24 and 3 B-29's of his and had no problem with them. I have 3 Shapeways Swordfish, Fulmars and Nell's but the rest of my planes are AIM or the official ones. I just received an order this week and the planes are as good as always. Dave said he is working on a Fw 200 so I can't wait for that.
    I've never had your fortune with non-warped AIM models, Bob. It's not a deal breaker for me (obviously), because I look forward to the FW-200, too, and Dave mentioning that he's working on another source for models is very intriguing.
    Last edited by DarrylH; 05-16-2018 at 11:51.

. . . Dave is a member of the secret society of TOTS, lips must be sealed, quite an interesting group, world wide seeking and collecting 1/200" scale models . . . one member has given me a few over the years, all hush hush . . . I have a WWII vintage cast metal Ju52 a silent member posted me a few years ago. All very cool . . .

Sort of a Skull & Bones type group.

Darryl must be the distance and climate. I bought 3 Kates years ago and they just sat there. I think it was last year that I decided to paint them and things took off from there. I have been getting at least one order a month since them. And now Kevin has the decals so I think I help keep both of them busy.

I have 6 Ki 44's painted and ready to decal but going away this weekend to the Warbirds show so have to wait until next week for the decals which Kevin did last week.

Well all good feedback, planning on three HE111's soon and a couple of Defiants (something about that odd bird intrigues me) Maybe a couple of Spitfire Mk I/II also.

OK, step one compleat in the HE 111 project. Always get research material first.

AND it arrived today...Attachment 247153

Not bad for 10 bucks on E-bay

I agree on both points, looks great, his stuff is top notch!

I like the AIM models to get planes for different areas. At COLD WARS we had NATES (AIM), I-16 (AIM) and I-153's (SHAPEWAYS). I bought a OSPREY book, FINNISH ACES, and got into that area. Now I have G-50's (4), Buffalos (4), Hawks (3), MS 406's (2), Pe2 (1), Blenheim's (2) and Me 109G's (2) for the Finns. Good thing Kevin makes decals for the FINNS. I don't know why I got into that area but enjoyed painting the planes.

Planning a quiet weekend here in the AZ . . .

Name:	20180517_155730.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	247276

Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with David! Happy creating!

12.5 % is not plastic shrinkage! I cant imagine the Chinese manufacturers making that kind of change without anyone one approving it. Just a bad call on the scale, which was Warlords call. Those who are not particular of scale will find a nice source for minis, mine have re-warped and have been stricken from duty, soon to be passed on . . . sorry they did not prove what we were hoping for.
    So Wednesday evening I was happily playing BRS and I looked across at my opponent's Spitfires and thought - those wings are warping badly....

Then this morning I was pondering about the ones I have - I didn't think they were an issue - maybe because mine were from the starter set and his from a Squadron box and there was a difference and...

So I got mine out again and some of mine were starting to warp to an alarming degree. Hmm

I don't mind the idea of dipping an unpainted model in hot water but these are painted. Anyway I bit the bullet and risked it, and the models and their paint seem to have survived and are now more or less back to a reasonable state. However I can't pretend this is ok. It is clear Warlord really dropped the ball on this one. When in doubt I always believe Occams Razor points to human error over deliberate intent with this sort of thing, but it is bloody annoying.

So apologies to Clipper. I don't think he's right about the shrinkage being deliberate, but I do think this wing warping on the Spitfire is a major issue for painters and players.

But on a vaguely related note this is what took most of my workbench

Name:	111 1.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	283.6 KB 
ID:	247278

More details here https://twtrb.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05...ad-part-1.html

Very nice repurposing of this model, Ken. Perhaps you could add a little vegetation to the bases to add a touch of color?

On another topic, I'm finally done with my japanese planes project, with a Kawasaki Ki-100.
    After having so much fun with AIM's little gems, I was sorely disappointed with the lack of detail on this WSF model, so the painting is uninspired (at best)...
    Anyway, here goes a terrible picture of the plane:

Name:	ki-10010.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	247285
    Last edited by Sulring; 05-18-2018 at 13:41.

Well, I finished my hasegawa MC.202. Here are some shots of the finished model:

Name:	IMG_20180518_120636028.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	177.8 KB 
ID:	247286

Name:	IMG_20180518_120616724.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	247287
    It was painted with a mixture of Tamiya and Vallejo acrylics.

Great looking cameo Ken.
    As clipper says detail is everything.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I can't post the work I've done this month, at least until after a certain event next month.

However, because someone asked a question, and the solution was part of the work, I've come up with a new template that I want to share. It will just have to wait until mid-June. Well, some of the Forum members might see it a bit earlier than that.

Name:	heinz-Ketchup-300x166.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	247392
    Anticipation...
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 05-20-2018 at 23:19.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Ya know Mike......only us old farts remember those TV commercials.

Just have to decal the 6 Ki 44's I have so hopefully this week and then the other 20 planes I have decals for.

Great looking mat Nick! Very impressive.

Looks great!

Thanks everyone for the really kind comments and all the rep! Clipper mentioned that maybe I should consider a “how-to” post. Would there be any interest for that? I was thinking about making another couple mats for a larger playing surface...

It's been a while since I made any aircraft - you can blame Darryl for this one, he skewered me

1/144 and 1/200 versions...

http://shpws.me/QiO7

Name:	24-05-2018 09-49-12.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	247661
    Last edited by decapod; 05-24-2018 at 02:54.

Thanks for the new design Paul. Yes, it's been a while!

Yet more Dwarvenforge tiles painted, apart from those shown in a previous post.

Name:	IMG_20180525_121603.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	247694

Nasty trap. Long corridor with 2 part secret door to enter. Make sure you find the second catch though, the one that disarms the line to the ballista at the other end, otherwise it fires when you open the door.

Name:	IMG_20180525_121618.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	223.7 KB 
ID:	247695

And for followers of Heavy Metal - Iron Maiden. Also rack, stocks, red hot pincers etc.

Name:	IMG_20180525_121638.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	247696

The previous lot.

Compare to the Pro Painted stuff. I tried to match the colour scheme. (This is not my work)

Name:	IMG_1265.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	179.0 KB 
ID:	247697

Now to do the other hundreds of figures from the Bones 3 set I found recently. I'd wondered where it had got to.
    Last edited by Zoe Brain; 05-25-2018 at 02:13.

Excellent job Zoe!
    I wish we had that kind of gorgeous floor tiles when we were playing D&D in high school...

Wonderful dungeon set Zoe. I used to play and run a lot of Steve Jackson's Melee-Wizard. I never bought into D&D but played a little when friends ran it. This would have been great to play on back when.

Nice Dungeon tiles. could have used those back in the day when I used to DM. Still have all my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd ed books and a small mountain of figs somewhere downstairs. And every Traveller Little black book...and a closet full of SPI and Avalon Hill games...and all my Hordes/Warmachine stuff from my Pressganger days...and my old 3rd ed 40 K armies...and my WRG 7th 15mm ancients...and...and...and...sigh.

Nice Dungeon tiles. could have used those back in the day when I used to DM. Still have all my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd ed books and a small mountain of figs somewhere downstairs. And every Traveller Little black book...and a closet full of SPI and Avalon Hill games...and all my Hordes/Warmachine stuff from my Pressganger days...and my old 3rd ed 40 K armies...and my WRG 7th 15mm ancients...and...and...and...sigh.
    Unfortunately I all too well know where you are coming from. The list is too long to try to list!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Unfortunately I all too well know where you are coming from. The list is too long to try to list!
    Yes, many/most of us do
    I really dread when I have to tackle the attic, and go through all my wargaming stuff. Lord knows how much lead is up there
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Great looking dungeon. Brings me back to my RUNEQUEST days. Much fun and a great DM who ran our games.

Super 3D dungeon, Zoe!

I used the coloured card "Dungeon Floor Tiles" sets on a reversed black starfield cloth - it was only 2D, but got the job done.

I keep all my wargame stuff OUT of the attic, because the floor up there wouldn't take the weight!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Yes, many/most of us do
    I really dread when I have to tackle the attic, and go through all my wargaming stuff. Lord knows how much lead is up there
    Karl
    My excuse for accumulating lead was to secure my house in case of a hurricane. Now that I have moved to Maine I'll need a new excuse!

Started E-baying off a bit of it a few years ago...rather have my teeth pulled....Seems as soon as I sold something I found a missing item for another collection. Have every Dragon Magazine from mid 30's up to over 200 on a shelf also. Keep planning to sort and label everything so when I die the wife knows what she has and roughly what it is worth...that is the plan anyway. As soon as I rumage around and start to gather I notice what I am still missing and go straight to E-bay to fill in the gaps. I know better and have not played in 20 years but someday........

Sigh...lead brings up yet another issue. Picked up a melting pot at a gun show a few months back thinking I would start casting my own bullets to reload...but now I am thinking of those blasted 25mm Black Prince figure molds I bought 30 years ago. Got a box of home cast figures somewhere around here and a mold I made with silicone of a Partha fig I was casting for myself. Bullets or figs....grrrrrr. Of course this is all relevant to getting my painting bench clear so I can do something else besides painting figs or doing leather and armor for the SCA.

Started E-baying off a bit of it a few years ago...rather have my teeth pulled....Seems as soon as I sold something I found a missing item for another collection. Have every Dragon Magazine from mid 30's up to over 200 on a shelf also. Keep planning to sort and label everything so when I die the wife knows what she has and roughly what it is worth...that is the plan anyway. As soon as I rumage around and start to gather I notice what I am still missing and go straight to E-bay to fill in the gaps. I know better and have not played in 20 years but someday........

ive got some old dragon magazines including #1.

My excuse for accumulating lead was to secure my house in case of a hurricane. Now that I have moved to Maine I'll need a new excuse!
    I hear Nor’Easters can be just as volitile as hurricanes... Seems to me your excuse remains as sound as ever

Nice, I started collecting them every month after getting my first few at the old Judges Guild store in Illinois. We used to have open wargaming every Saturday. First and only time I ever saw and used a full blown sand table for micro armor.

Quote Originally Posted by TalkMonkey View Post

I hear Nor’Easters can be just as volitile as hurricanes... Seems to me your excuse remains as sound as ever
    Thanks. I guess a load of lead in the back of the truck for traction in the snow is a must!

One last bit before month end, the second half of the hobby stores Bolt action stuff. US and 4 fausts for the Germans.

Attachment 247827Attachment 247828Attachment 247829

Once again they are doing their own basing so that is why the bases are black.

Wonderful dungeon set Zoe. I used to play and run a lot of Steve Jackson's Melee-Wizard. I never bought into D&D but played a little when friends ran it. This would have been great to play on back when.
    You know SJ is reprinting The Fantasy Trip? Including Melee, Wizard, Advanced Melee etc plus all the scenarios he owns the IP for?
    The Fantasy Trip was Steve Jackson's first RPG. Its first part, Melee, was published in 1977. TFT was published by Metagaming, which went out of business about 1982, and TFT has been unsupported since then, and only available on the secondary market.

In late 2017, Steve regained the rights to the eight TFT releases that he had written himself: Melee, Wizard, Death Test, Death Test 2, Advanced Melee, Advanced Wizard, In The Labyrinth, and Tollenkar's Lair.

Most if not all of this material will be republished. The format is totally up in the air right now . . .
    http://www.sjgames.com/fantasytrip/

Great looking dungeon. Brings me back to my RUNEQUEST days. Much fun and a great DM who ran our games.
    Yes, I've located most of my Citadel RQ figurines. The years have not been kind to them, the old Humbrol enamels have faded and worn away, and my painting skills have improved since then. I applied the paint thinly though, so rather than strip, I'll be using the original paint job as an undercoat.

Meanwhile, George and Mildred. Or in the US, Stanley and Helen.

Name:	IMG_20180527_201104.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	247835

SJ games....ANOTHER pile of lead in the basement...a ton of Ogre minis including a Mark VI a couple of III's and V, and almost 240 crunchy vehicles. Last time I saw the Mk VI go up on E-bay it was in the $350 range. Ordered mine from the shop and I guess they did not print long.

Sort of went crazy when they went to the mini line in the VCR cases with the cardboard sleeve.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. April 2018 Workbench
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 04-29-2018, 06:43
  2. MARCH 2018 WORKBENCH
    By Walter Nowotny in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 03-18-2018, 18:52
  3. WMMS 2018 ..yes 2018 !!
    By Maverick in forum Officer's Club