Ares Games

Thread: A tiny question about Belgian RE 8

Default A tiny question about Belgian RE 8

Hi!

The game models the RE 8 in Belgian colours. The Aviation Militaire received 22 planes with Royal Aircraft Factory 4a engines, but the engines were later changed to Hispano-Suizas. The modification altered appearance of the planes
    (see http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages...ctory_re_8.htm).

How about the Belgian plane in our game? What engine does it have? It has no raised exhausts (compare to two other RE 8s in the game) but it has four-blade propeller and a angular engine - looks like a RAF 4a.
    But the marking on the fuselage and the letter B (or number 8?) on the rudder, they have a source and it is a handsome plane with Hispano-Suiza, from Bruessel: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Belgi...8dcbb89aac1314.

So... The plane in the game is just received and is not yet re-engined?

Thumbs up

Excellent pics there Jarno.

Lucky.

Well, they certainly looked different, and I am not sure if the Belgians flew them in their original configuration.

The RE8 was such a stable platform I doubt whether the performance differed greatly from that of the RAF engined version.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/alb...pictureid=4060
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/alb...pictureid=4061
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

So that's why the WoW Belgian Re8 did not come with an engine, always wondered about that.

I only know that the Belgians received their planes during summer 1917 and still in the same year they made the modifications, so it really seems that they made only a handful of sorties with the original configuration.

Kinda missed this one before...
    As far as I know the Belgians did fly the RE8 in its original configuration shortly after receiving it . But the original engines were soon replaced by Hispano-Suiza engines.
    I'll have to look in my library to find more info on the subject.
    If I find the time I'll be back with more info
    Last edited by Bluedevil; 01-22-2011 at 09:36.

That external radiator on the H-S RE.8 looks uncomfortably close to the cockpit. I wouldn't want to be sitting there if it took a bullet.

In July 1917 the British delivered 22 RE.8's to the Belgian Aviation Militaire. The were stationed with the6th Reconaissance Escadrille. A "few" ( I was not able yet to figure out how much exactly ) were upgraded with a 180Hp Hispano-Suiza engine. The 4-bladed propellor was exchanged for a 2-bladed one. The main reason for the upgrade was the fact that the RE8 was underpowered, slow and to stable and underarmed: even with the modifications the RE.8 was an easy prey for the German fighters...

Shortly after the delivery of the RE8 the Belgian Aviation Militaire got, with help from the French, its hands on Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutters...

( Synthesized from John Pacco and Ludo Vrancken's books)

Not really an answer to the initial question but all I could find for now
    Last edited by Bluedevil; 01-23-2011 at 14:32. Reason: ok i missed the 9 and wrote a 6 .. it would have made us n°1 :P

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil View Post
    In July 1617 the British delivered 22 RE.8's to the Belgian Aviation Militaire....
    Holy smokes!! they sure kept them secret for a long time!! I wonder if they smelled like mothballs when they finally starting using them?

Your answer is still good Alex, now we know more about modifications, reasons (mothballs!) and results - thanks!

I decided to make a small surgical operation to my Belgian two-seater: from now on it has a Hispano-Suiza engine with 2-bladed propellor, but you have to imagine the altered, non-angular shape.

I also modified Bishop's SE5a, because his C1904 should have 2-bladed cooler device.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040587.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	7537
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040592.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	7538

In 1617 Belgium didn't even exist so that explains why they kept them a secret for so long

Glad to be of help...

(I really should read my posts twice before pressing enter )

Zombie Thread

I just got the Hispano engined RE8 from Shapeways to add to my collection, the question is, any suggestions on colours?

The Belgian Wings link above isnt a great deal of help except the 3855 looks like they have overpainted the RAF\RFC roundel. I've seen this before on some Belgian Strutters

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

I've found this one - which suggests Nexus may have taken a bit of a liberty with the official model. leaving the prominent exhaust stacks off as a halfway measure to doing the real H-S engine

http://www.airliners.net/photo/0747406/L/
    Last edited by PilGrim; 08-14-2013 at 11:23.

Quote Originally Posted by PilGrim View Post
    I just got the Hispano engined RE8 from Shapeways to add to my collection, the question is, any suggestions on colours?
    Standard RFC PC10/CDL with standard Belgian markings, and either a narrow coloured band or the 6me Esc bee according to the colour profiles in here - http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...The-(Aeronaut)

Quote Originally Posted by PilGrim View Post
    Zombie Thread
    Always good to see one resurrected rather than multiple, often duplicate, threads on the same topic.

Similar Missions

1. Scenario: Belgian Offensive
    By Hamburger in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-03-2011, 10:39
  2. Tiny Dr1!
    By rosscoc87 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-09-2010, 18:48