Ares Games

Thread: BoB Starter

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

Default BoB Starter

Thinking of picking up the BOB starter and was just wondering if there is anything else I would need , I do fancy getting a hurricane and a Stuka though how would these be with just the starter set!
    Thanks

I have two Stukas but no Hurricanes. I played a battle where we pitted two Spitfires vs. 1 bf 109 and 2 Stukas. We played it twice, switching sides after the first go. British won both times.

I think they would both be great additions to the BoB starter. I'd love to get some of the green He-111s - with the other aircraft that are still readily available you could fight some great BoB scenarios with all of the aircraft in their correct colors.

The Hurricane and Stuka models were intended to be used with the BoB set. Also, if you look around, you may still be able to buy a model of an Me-110.

ME 110;s are out there still, but the He111?...no green ones anywhere. We seriously need a reprint of them as they were a key factor in the BoB.

Almost makes me wonder it the Aerodrome should see if they can get stands of the HE 111 size, properly marked so we can use alt sculpts. I know I would look at at least 3 of them. Almost tempted to get a bag of thicker plane pegs and see if I can get some cut someplace.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the advice it's much appreciated.

According to the points value chart, the two Spitfires had about 23 points advantage over the 109 and Stukas.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    ME 110;s are out there still, but the He111?...no green ones anywhere. We seriously need a reprint of them as they were a key factor in the BoB.

Almost makes me wonder it the Aerodrome should see if they can get stands of the HE 111 size, properly marked so we can use alt sculpts. I know I would look at at least 3 of them. Almost tempted to get a bag of thicker plane pegs and see if I can get some cut someplace.
    I know. I got very lucky and blundered into one in the secondary market. No box for it, but at least I have one. I'm going to Origins in June, and I'm hoping to get Hurricanes there. They had a good deal last year - I think it was buy two get one free or something like that.

I'm very disappointed with the lack of He-111s. This is probably the most no-brainer decision I've ever seen for any game ever made as to whether to make a redo or not for a particular piece. They could easily manufacture as many of them as they did the first run and sell out on all of them. I know I'd buy at least 5.

From a thread about 11 down the list that I started on a similar topic, here were my recommendations:

My own personal recommendation for anyone stumbling onto this thread at a later date [“Getting started recommendations for Battle of Britain”] trying to figure out what to buy, is if you are on a limited budget is to get the minimums to run the "Advanced Scenarios" in the BoB game rather than aim for historical formations. Which would be:

Heinkel x 2 [edit in: you will most likely have to go with the snow camo or do without at this point)
    Hurricanes x 3
    Stuka x 1 (variant would require another Stuka and a third Me 109 and works with the Hurricanes above)
    Beaufighter (can be varianted out in favor of Hurricanes)
    Fiat Cr.42 x 2 (or five in the variant)

So you could play all the scenarios in the BoB set with as few as eight [additional] planes, and only six if you want to skip the Italian biplanes (I am figuring on Battle of France, so will eventually add some).

Not doing bad so far, Got a Spit, Hurricane, Stuka, ME 109 and ME 110. Grabbed a second Me109 but it was a later variant with rounded wing tips. When I get the box set that will give me 2 more 109's and Spits. Need at least 2 HE 111's and a pair of DO 17's if I can scratch build some stands. Almost tempted to throw in some Defiants to pit against Stukas just for a odd game. YEP...gonna be some more non WOG sculpts I am afraid.

Sad thing is this got me to break out my copy of Battle of Britain and watch it tonight, been a few years.

Not doing bad so far, Got a Spit, Hurricane, Stuka, ME 109 and ME 110. Grabbed a second Me109 but it was a later variant with rounded wing tips. When I get the box set that will give me 2 more 109's and Spits. Need at least 2 HE 111's and a pair of DO 17's if I can scratch build some stands. Almost tempted to throw in some Defiants to pit against Stukas just for a odd game. YEP...gonna be some more non WOG sculpts I am afraid.

Sad thing is this got me to break out my copy of Battle of Britain and watch it tonight, been a few years.
    If you haven't seen this yet, it's worth a visit.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/zvezda-plas...s-1:200+-scale

They have Ju-88s and Ju-52s in 1/200. You have to assemble and put them together, but at less than $5 a kit it's a lot cheaper and quicker than looking for He-111s on the secondary market or hoping that they'll reissue them.

A couple of 110s might be worth it while they are still available.

For those looking for fighter targets, the He.111 may be a while.

However, there are BoB bombers on the very near horizon that will fill in for the He.111. There will even be British bomber targets for German fighters, this time, to allow players to balance out scenarios for each side.

These planes are the Do.17, Ju.88, and Blenheim (not involved with the BoB, but coming is the SM.79, as well.). The release date hasn't been announced, I suspect, due to irritatingly flexible Chinese production schedules that Ares suffers from. Once the planes are in warehouses, we'll see availability dates. Sometime this year, one hopes.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Gonna hafta get the DO17 and JU 88's quickly as they will sell out. Hope they do them in Squadron packs so they can mass produce em.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    For those looking for fighter targets, the He.111 may be a while.

However, there are BoB bombers on the very near horizon that will fill in for the He.111. There will even be British bomber targets for German fighters, this time, to allow players to balance out scenarios for each side.

These planes are the Do.17, Ju.88, and Blenheim (not involved with the BoB, but coming is the SM.79, as well.). The release date hasn't been announced, I suspect, due to irritatingly flexible Chinese production schedules that Ares suffers from. Once the planes are in warehouses, we'll see availability dates. Sometime this year, one hopes.
    I can't help but wonder how much their recently announced BSG game is going to push these new releases to the back burner. I've been playing the game for less than a year, but it's painfully obvious that their WWII line is the red-headed step child of their line. We are about a year out from their last release in this line - the BoB boxed set. Going a year or more without adding to the line is not how you grow a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsalt View Post
    I can't help but wonder how much their recently announced BSG game is going to push these new releases to the back burner. I've been playing the game for less than a year, but it's painfully obvious that their WWII line is the red-headed step child of their line. We are about a year out from their last release in this line - the BoB boxed set. Going a year or more without adding to the line is not how you grow a game.
    As I understand things, there are a few paths in Ares production schedule, and one doesn't necessarily conflict with others. Tripods are being produced as other products are being produced. Ares is putting out more games than Wings of Glory, all at the same time. For whatever reason, Ares decided to hold up the Series 9 Pacific Theatre release to revamp the WWII product line and marketing plan. Where the Corsairs are now is anyone's (except Ares) guess. I expect the BoB bombers also pushed back Series 9.

I don't think BGS is on the same production path, as it is a new, and incompatible, game. That being said, cash flow could influence everything. Check out the release dates for many different games and components listed on their web site: Ares Games.eu - Upcoming Products

I still believe Chinese production scheduling primarily, and customer complaints about postponed release dates secondly, are the reasons we don't get better information on release schedules.
    Mike

Chinese production dates have been screwy for a while. Even some other KS I have been on have had to push back their delivery date. The trade war with Trump is not gonna help either (though I do think it is needed). Sooner or later another country is going to start picking up the slack and China will have competition which will push them back into being more reliable. Easy to bully your customers when you are the only game in town. In the meantime it is AIM and Shapeways until 3D printers get better and the files for printing planes become avalible to all. Sad thing is these gaps in the product line and lack of stock on the shelves are forcing players to speed up the process if they want to play before they retire (or us older folk can no longer function). Older folk can go a year or two waiting for something to show up, it is annoying but can be done. 6 months is forever for a 16 year old and he will be long gone before anything hits the shelves.

WWI can be difficult with the fancy paint jobs. WWII squadron packs work out well and as long as they stay in production will fill the need. They do need at least twin engine bombers in the squadron pack line up also I can think of 6 right away including the vanished HE111. Or a reprint of squadron pack bombers from the last release would work out well though all but the HE111 seem to still be in good supply. Bettys, DO17, and a twin engine Soviet and Brits would work out also, maybe even a Italian.

Hmmm.....wonder how a Kick Starter just for a reprint of HE 111's would do? Maybe if we get enough interest throw in an DO17 or JU88 as add ons. SG's could be new target cards (train, ship, sub, ect) or options to buy reprints of maneuver cards in packs of 4 (A-d, E-h, I-L , ect). If done right you can give out things or options on things without taking a loss. Heck, even a paper map of a British Airfield with a pack of target cards (hangers, shops, barracks, fuel depot, ect) and mission using them as a target for a German bombing raid (OK was watching the Battle of Britain again the other night) would spice things up. Another SG could be a port map and deck of ship and AA cards. Targets that shoot back could be interesting. Just use the D counters for bomb damage.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 04-29-2018 at 23:26.

Interesting, just checked the Ares site and they still list the winter camo HE111 packs as avalible. Wonder how hard it would be to order some or do you have to be a business? Bet if our web shop got a bunch in they would vanish quickly (first call on 2).

Interesting, just checked the Ares site and they still list the winter camo HE111 packs as avalible. Wonder how hard it would be to order some or do you have to be a business? Bet if our web shop got a bunch in they would vanish quickly (first call on 2).

ares may list them, but none of our distributors have any.

If Ares has them they could still be overseas in a warehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    ares may list them, but none of our distributors have any.
    And are not ordering them - they are the break in the chain.

"He is wise who watches"

If Ares has them they could still be overseas in a warehouse.
    Ares' warehouse is in USA. Oversea for us Europeans, not for you.

No planes for me then....

May have to Fleabay a winter camo one and repaint it then. Once I get the core parts can AIM for other aircraft.

Do sort of feel sorry for Ares though...we old farts can be a demanding bunch..

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    This has already been pointed out.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...WW2-Miniatures

I talked to several store owners in my geographic region and the ones who at one time carried the game all told the same story. They said they were unable to get adequate stock from the distributors, so players couldn't get what they wanted, and so interest for the game in their store dried up.

Speaking on USA distribution only: I doubt that the situation around WoG presence in stores will ever change because there is no consistency regarding releases and the choice of airplanes is overall detached from the reality of what will sell in the States. As long as you do not mind a niche mail-order and ebay only product then you will be fine.

I think that one of the biggest reasons for the lack of availability of planes has been the method of production. IIRC, planes within a series are all molded together. Then, the paint schemes are applied, after being produced to evenly cover all the molded models (If the color schemes are all printed on a single sheet for each plane type, this might add to the difficulties). This means that if a model/scheme or two don't sell, it is expensive to rerun the series, knowing there will be yet more remnants kicking around unwanted, tying up cash flow and warehouse space.

I'm thinking the delays in current production are becaues Ares is trying to gear up to allow single plane type production, with the possibility of changes in schemes from run to run. The WWII squadron packs were, I'm hoping, single model productions, allowing Ares to reprint a plane alone as needed to meet demand. Producing a small decal sheet for a plane type would make putting out a 'new group' ('repaint') particularly easy and inexpensive.

Whether they are doing the same for WWI, or not, I've got my fingers crossed that Ares will be able to put out individual plane types. Getting away with small decal sheets may not work for WWI, at least for Luftstreitkraft planes.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post
    Speaking on USA distribution only: I doubt that the situation around WoG presence in stores will ever change because there is no consistency regarding releases and the choice of airplanes is overall detached from the reality of what will sell in the States. As long as you do not mind a niche mail-order and ebay only product then you will be fine.
    I've tried to make these same points.

The fact that Ares says there's no distribution problem, while every retailer I've talked to says distribution is a major issue tells me there is a major disconnect at as to what's happening outside the walls of Ares.

This is a fun and innovative game. Unfortunately, it's not supported anywhere near as well as games from other companies.

Truth be told it is a very small player base of very loyal players. How many on this site do mostly solo games or only play at cons? Heck I have about half of all WWI planes and all rules boxes from WoW and card packs. We only play once a month at the hobby store and that is two or three games before calling it a night. Most of the stock on the walls never moves as we all get our stuff elsewhere. Part of that is the same old 10 or 12 airframes that have been sitting there for the last 6 months and they rarely move a box of rules. BOB box set is a step in the right direction and it seems to be generating interest but the lack of followup is stalling the few gains it is making. I guess the point I am is making is either it grabs you or not, there is little to peak your interest unless you have a interest already. WoG needs a hook, something to draw people to the game and keep their interest. We will see if T and T does the trick, good chance to grab kids with that one.

^^^^^^^^^^

Who needs to buy planes in my neighbourhood, when I can supply both sides of any Battle of Britain scenario with entire formations of Ketten and Schwärme for the Germans and handfuls of Vics for the British?

Same goes for WWI, and the Western Front. I could use a few more bombers for each side, but I have balloons. Maybe a few more balloons wouldn't hurt, though.

Yeah. Who is gonna buy planes in my town, if I am coming out to play with them. Darn. Perhaps someone will buy Pacific Theatre planes? Right. None of them available...

PS: Did I mention I just scooped three more Nexus Bf-109s and three more Nexus Spitfires? At current retail prices? Steal!
    Mike

Wait, where did you get those Nexus planes? I know... all gone...

And here I was happy to snag a Hurricane last week.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

Well I got the BOB set and a hurricane and a Stuka looking to get a me-110 now to act as a bomber.

Lots of ME 110's on Fleabay still.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Trevor
    Sorties Flown

checkout gameslore in shropshire they have all the me110s plus a good selection of other aircraft

"Entoyment" in Poole - pretty wide range, free postage and 10% off across the board....................
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

The French edition is also being released in these days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BoBFrench.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	230.5 KB 
ID:	246080

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post

that could well be. ive noticed some planes (such as the giants) will go out of stock for a time (a few months) and then be back in stock. cant say ive seen that with the he 111s though.

I'm thinking the delays in current production are becaues Ares is trying to gear up to allow single plane type production, with the possibility of changes in schemes from run to run. The WWII squadron packs were, I'm hoping, single model productions, allowing Ares to reprint a plane alone as needed to meet demand. Producing a small decal sheet for a plane type would make putting out a 'new group' ('repaint') particularly easy and inexpensive.

Whether they are doing the same for WWI, or not, I've got my fingers crossed that Ares will be able to put out individual plane types. Getting away with small decal sheets may not work for WWI, at least for Luftstreitkraft planes.[/QUOTE]

i certainly hope so!!!! i remember talk of doing that quite awhile ago but nothing seemed to come of it.

Truth be told it is a very small player base of very loyal players. How many on this site do mostly solo games or only play at cons? Heck I have about half of all WWI planes and all rules boxes from WoW and card packs. We only play once a month at the hobby store and that is two or three games before calling it a night. Most of the stock on the walls never moves as we all get our stuff elsewhere. Part of that is the same old 10 or 12 airframes that have been sitting there for the last 6 months and they rarely move a box of rules. BOB box set is a step in the right direction and it seems to be generating interest but the lack of followup is stalling the few gains it is making. I guess the point I am is making is either it grabs you or not, there is little to peak your interest unless you have a interest already. WoG needs a hook, something to draw people to the game and keep their interest. We will see if T and T does the trick, good chance to grab kids with that one.

id say it does have a hook in the miniatures. in my experience, they appear to be an irresistible draw to many. ive field all kinds of questions from random gamers and non gamers alike. i always try to encourage people to try it.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

So while I'm ordering a me-110 is there anything else I could add in while I'm at it another hurricane a Stuka ( though in a previous post I see it recommends one) or maybe another spitfire? or the beufighter come to that then that will be me for a bit.
    Thanks

atomzero

I guess this a UK problem? gamenerdz.com has He-111's and Me-110's, and they have for quite a while.

Also, I think I heard Angelo say that all of the WoG releases for 2018 were on target right now, including the bombers.

Trumpet,

Key BoB planes should be

German: HE 111, Stuka, Early BF 109's (E series?), BF 110. Planes needed (DO 17, Ju88)
    Brit: Spitfires Mk I/II, Hurricane, Maybe the Beaufighter. Needed( Defiant, Whirlwinds, some sort of medium bomber)
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 05-04-2018 at 09:39. Reason: add on

Quote Originally Posted by atomzero View Post
    I guess this a UK problem? gamenerdz.com has He-111's and Me-110's, and they have for quite a while.

Also, I think I heard Angelo say that all of the WoG releases for 2018 were on target right now, including the bombers.
    Looks like they only show the photo of a He-111, not in stock though. (or they sold the last one before I looked!)

Bad news is this new set of bombers won't include the He-111. Good news is it includes for BoB Blenheim, Ju-88 and Do-17s!

Just saw this and have to say I have 6 Blenheim's (AIM). 4 painted for the Brits in Malaysia (MISCMINI decals) and 2 for the Finns. So many planes ARES could make but don't so have to go to another source. ARES seems to expand their fantasy games at a faster rate then the Wings game even though the WoG game has been going on for years. I started getting the AIM models just last year and now have over 100 for WWII. I think my AIM models are close to the number of "official" planes I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Looks like they only show the photo of a He-111, not in stock though. (or they sold the last one before I looked!)

Bad news is this new set of bombers won't include the He-111. Good news is it includes for BoB Blenheim, Ju-88 and Do-17s!
    I don't think any of the online retailers have them any more. They all have pictures of them, but they also all show out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Just saw this and have to say I have 6 Blenheim's (AIM). 4 painted for the Brits in Malaysia (MISCMINI decals) and 2 for the Finns. So many planes ARES could make but don't so have to go to another source. ARES seems to expand their fantasy games at a faster rate then the Wings game even though the WoG game has been going on for years. I started getting the AIM models just last year and now have over 100 for WWII. I think my AIM models are close to the number of "official" planes I have.
    I hate to say it, but expanding their fantasy games makes sense to me. Everywhere I go fantasy-related stuff sells a lot better than historical wargaming stuff. I suspect that the Wings of Glory line is not their most profitable. On the other hand, it doesn't help when you only produce 10-20% of what you need of a particular model.

I don't think any of the online retailers have them any more. They all have pictures of them, but they also all show out of stock.
    Thats what I figured. You may find a snow camo somewhere but not the all green.

I hate to say it, but expanding their fantasy games makes sense to me. Everywhere I go fantasy-related stuff sells a lot better than historical wargaming stuff. I suspect that the Wings of Glory line is not their most profitable. On the other hand, it doesn't help when you only produce 10-20% of what you need of a particular model.
    Their marketing hasn't been great. Their releases are too far and few between. They should have more support material, scenario books, campaign books, multi-plane sets that go together for said scenarios & campaigns. The WW2 BoB set was a step in the right direction but they have to keep on it asap. By the time the bombers come out many will have moved on. I'm here for the long haul so I truly want them to survive but getting releases in drabs and dribbles is frustrating. I can see why few game shops carry it.

So I have been less inclined to engage this topic this time around, but just wanted to add my thought. Yes we are truly riding in on the tails of the fantasy/sci-fi games with Ares, and yes we are small part of the market, but still thankful we are still viable to them! I am coming from a place of independence as I simply make whatever I want and need for the game or the collection. One reason I make multiples is to pass them on to those who want what is not yet available. I am hopeful our share in the market continues to exist and grow . . . so I am thanking Andrea and the crew for keeping us flying! Now back to the "Dam Project!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

Im going to add in another hurricane and Stuka to my order to accompany the me 110.
    That will make 2 spitfires 2 109s from the BOB starter , 2 Stuka , 2 hurricane and a me 110 in place of a he 111 should keep me busy for a while.
    Thanks for all the advice it's much appreciated .

Similar Missions

1. Will there be a new WWI starter set?
    By RCastro in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-21-2017, 10:03
  2. BoB Starter or RAP?
    By RCastro in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-24-2017, 23:34
  3. Got my BoB Starter plus!
    By gully_raker in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 10