Ares Games

Thread: My first encounter with the Red Baron . . . was it yours?

Default My first encounter with the Red Baron . . . was it yours?

Just had a bit of nostalgia, being 10 years old, sitting playing "Dog Fight" and listening to this song over and over and over . . .

The original version by the Royal Gardsmen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxzg_iM-T4E

The Irish Rover's version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YG8GNenGcM

I had always been a fan of all things aviation, this event coupled with Snoopy sealed the deal . . . any one else? Here's an update:

https://www.feistees.com/snoopy-red-...anuts-t-shirt/

I do believe it was Charles M Shultz who introduced me to "The Red Baron" back in 1965.

I did enjoy the Royal Guardsmen single in 1966 - hadn't heard it by anyone else.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	245130

I still have the 45 somewhere (my parents bought it - I was a newborn baby!).
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Yes, it was the Peanuts Cartoon that lead me to my love of WW1 aviation, and beyond!
    Love the Time War t-shirt, David. I might need to get one.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

My first encounter with the Rittmeister I can remember was a 1972 trip to the drive in at five years old to see the movie "The Red Baron" (aka Von Richthofen and Brown). The screen shot below of von Richthofen's Fokker Dreidecker approaching head on with guns blazing is burned into my memory.

Name:	Red Baron Dr1.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	245186

When I was 10 my father bought "The Red Baron" (1976 edition), Peter Kilduff's translation of von Richthofen's autobiography "Der Rote Kampfflieger", which I read soon after.

Name:	Red Baron.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	245187

I still have the well worn copy on my book shelf, although I rarely flick through the yellowed pages these days, as I have a PDF copy.

Name:	<acronym title=MvR.jpg  Views: 54  Size: 182.3 KB  ID: 245188" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 04-22-2018 at 16:34.

Carl, your post triggered a memory ...

Forgot I had this book hidden in the basement.

Name:	Richthofen.jpg 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	245200

Part of my first order from The Military Book Club in 1971 or 72

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Carl, your post triggered a memory ...

Forgot I had this book hidden in the basement.

Name:	Richthofen.jpg 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	245200

Part of my first order from The Military Book Club in 1971 or 72
    Another well thumbed tome I bet.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Between 'Dogfight', Peanuts' Snoopy, the pop tune 'Snoopy and the Red Baron', and my dad painting a 1/48 Aurora Fokker Dr.I and hanging it from my bedroom ceiling along with all the other Aurora WWI planes he painted, the mid/late Sixties was a great time for WWI inspiration at my house! I didn't have the record, but I enjoyed it every time it came on the local AM top 20 station. And when "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!" came out, with Snoopy's combat flight and escape back to the Allied lines, it was icing on the cake

Thank goodness so many here have similar memories and experiences...

All the best,
    Matt

Smile

I learnt about the Red Baron after seeing Dawn Patrol way back when I was pre teens & got hooked on WW1 aviation. My first books had lots of info on him.

Christmas isn't Christmas until I hear this...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh-J4GSPgAM

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    Christmas isn't Christmas until I hear this...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh-J4GSPgAM
    Philip! I totally forgot this one! Will make it a part of my Christmas playlist! Thanks!

I had both of the Guardsmen 45s. Snoopy's Christmas vs the Red Baron my favorite. I still can feel the cold of late December in the trenches when it starts off with the artillery and the start of O Taunnenbaum.

I saw a preview for "von Richthofen and Brown" once, but the movie itself never came to my area. Of course, I had already read P.J. Carisella and James W. Ryan "Who Killed the Red Baron?" so I was pretty sure it wasn't Brown.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Peanuts and Snoopy introduced me to the Red Baron, then I got the game Dogfight for either Christmas or a Birthday. Then in the late 70s I got my copy of Dawn Patrol, which I still have.
    I also definitely remember the song Snoopy v. The Red Baron.

I can't really say. But there probably was Snoopy as a comic, since cartoons did not reach us in Italy until late on TV, hard to say when.
    Then the Storia dell'Aviazione, issues in newspaperkiosks to form ten volumes about the history of aviation that I still use today, with Series 1 Airfix kits and small Revell ones attached: Red Baron's Dr.I was there. It was 1973, the colophon says, so I was 7. I started boardgaming with him far later: Dogfight did not reach us, so it was Richthofen's War by AH in 1980.

LOVE the new avatar, Andrea!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Philip! I totally forgot this one! Will make it a part of my Christmas playlist! Thanks!
    Oh great man, thou who hast provided me with a number of aircraft - I am happy to be of some small service in return!

Revell and Milton Bradley. Though I don’t recall the ground crew with the triplane way back when I had it. Loved that American Heritage pamphlet that came with the game.

Name:	AB373F7D-5CB7-4107-978E-D51B2C7520CF.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	245398

Name:	5EBCDF31-C566-4406-8C38-1A378633F0E9.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	245399

I loved Dogfight. Sadly I sold it a long time ago. I always wondered why the cover shows a Nieuport and Albatros while the game pieces were SPAD and Fokker?

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I loved Dogfight. Sadly I sold it a long time ago. I always wondered why the cover shows a Nieuport and Albatros while the game pieces were SPAD and Fokker?
    I think they simply used an existing painting that they thought was colorful and dynamic. The Pamphlet covered the entirety of the air war, so that was just an extension of the one.

I liked "Dogfight" so much we took a 4 by 8 piece of play wood painted it up, we also got 1/72 scale models painted them up and played the game on a large scale 1/72 it was a blast and a long time ago 1964, good times!

That's a great idea Mike. In this case - Bigger definitely would mean better!

I loved the game when I was little, unfortunately we didn't have it, only a cousin who lived hours away & whom
    we visited seldom... I think I got to play it 3 or 4 times before i was 10, then never saw it again... UNTIL...
    quite recently a copy came up on a local auction site & I SNAPPED that thing up faster than a fast thing!

Similar Missions

1. My First Encounter with Martians
    By Baxter in forum T&T: After Action Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2018, 06:31
  2. Late war encounter
    By Conall in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-26-2016, 14:02
  3. An Unusual Encounter
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 19