Ares Games

Thread: Poster Art of World War II Exhibit

Default Poster Art of World War II Exhibit

Not far from where I live is the Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt national historic site which contains Springwood (FDR's home), Valkill (Eleanor's home), Top Cottage (where FDR famously hosted the King and Queen of England to a hot dog cookout), Franklin and Eleanor's grave sites, and the FDR Presidential Library and Museum. The library/museum was the first of its kind in the U.S. and the only one from which a sitting President governed the country. Yesterday the museum opened a new art exhibit from its collections curated by the National Archives on poster art of World War II. The curators selected over 200 wartime posters from the many thousands in the library archives collections. I attended the exhibit opening and took a few photos for my friends here on the site. By the way, if you are seriously interested in wartime poster art, there is a companion book to the exhibit for sale through the New Deal Bookstore at the visitor center:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	posterart17.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	245055

As you might expect a number of the posters addressed wartime motivation themes:

Name:	posterart4.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	245056

Name:	posterart1.jpg 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	245057

Name:	posterart2.jpg 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	245058

Name:	posterart18.jpg 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	245059

Other more typical ones encourage young men to enlist in the armed services:

Name:	posterart11.jpg 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	245061

Name:	posterart19.jpg 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	245063

Name:	posterart12.jpg 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	245064

Another section of the exhibit displayed posters targeted to women:

Name:	posterart14.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	245066

Name:	posterart9.jpg 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	245069

Name:	posterart8.jpg 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	245071

A further section of the exhibit showed posters directed to the African American community. The first is of a Tuskeegee airman, the second is a poster of a man who lost his arm in the attack at Pearl Harbor, and when he recovered became a ship welder to support the war effort.

Name:	posterart15.jpg 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	245074

Name:	posterart16.jpg 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	245075

I recently posted on this site the discovery of the wreckage of the U.S.S. Juneau -- the ship on which the five Sullivan brothers died. Here is a contemporary poster from the exhibit about their deaths:

Name:	posterart5.jpg 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	245079

Here are just some of the other posters I saw that I thought would be of interest:

Name:	posterart13.jpg 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	245076

Name:	posterart10.jpg 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	245077

Name:	posterart6.jpg 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	245078

Name:	posterart7.jpg 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	245080

There was so much more I could have included, but for the sake of space I had to chose among them. I apologize for the photography, as I have said in other places on this site, I am the world's worst photographer. Nonetheless, I hope you enjoyed.
    Last edited by NewFlyBoy; 04-22-2018 at 10:29.

Very interesting selection - thanks for posting!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Very interesting selection - thanks for posting!
    My pleasure -- I wish I could have posted them all. I failed to mention that as part of the exhibit they also ran the "Why We Fight" films -- I had read about them before, but had never seen them before -- when the lights went up I said to my wife "Where do I enlist?"...

They send powerful messages even down the generations.

Thats a great exhibit. Thanks for posting Bill. Will this be gong on through the fall? Might have to see it if it is still on after retiring in September.

Cool, just checked it out, it goes to the end of December.

Thank you for the photographs of some of the posters, Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Thank you for the photographs of some of the posters, Bill.
    You're quite welcome, David.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Thats a great exhibit. Thanks for posting Bill. Will this be gong on through the fall? Might have to see it if it is still on after retiring in September.
    Peter, If you do decide to come down to visit, there's lots to do and see in the area beyond the FDR sites (as you know Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome is about 20 minutes North of the FDR site). About 5 minutes from the FDR site is the Vanderbilt Mansion, about 10 minutes beyond that is the Ogden Mills Mansion (the Hudson River Valley is lined with the old blue blood and noveau riche "great houses" of the Gilded Age):
    Vanderbilt:
    https://www.nps.gov/vama/index.htm
    Mills:
    https://parks.ny.gov/historic-sites/25/details.aspx
    Other favorites of mine a little further away include the home and studio of Hudson Valley School painter Frederick Church (Olana), and the home of painter and inventor Samuel F.B. Morse (in his time called America's DaVinci):
    Olana:
    http://www.olana.org/
    Morse:
    http://www.lgny.org/
    5 minutes South of the FDR site is the Culinary Institute of America with the highest concentration of Master Chefs and Master Bakers in North America. In addition to touring the teaching kitchens, etc. you can eat in one of their restaurants (the food is wonderful, but pricey):
    https://www.ciachef.edu/cia-new-york/
    And of course, the United States Military Academy at West Point is about 45 minutes South. The local Metro North Train station puts you into Grand Central Terminal on 42nd Street in New York City in 1 hour and 40 minutes (we often go in for a Broadway show, opera, ballet, or concert and return the same night).
    best,
    Bill

Thanks for all the great info Bill. We're thinking of doing some recon of the area, maybe right before or after Council of Five Nations.

Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    My pleasure -- I wish I could have posted them all. I failed to mention that as part of the exhibit they also ran the "Why We Fight" films -- I had read about them before, but had never seen them before -- when the lights went up I said to my wife "Where do I enlist?"...
    If you have netflix the have the “Why we fight” films plus a few ither WWII films by the eras famous directors including a documentary on the directors themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    If you have netflix the have the “Why we fight” films plus a few ither WWII films by the eras famous directors including a documentary on the directors themselves.
    Good to know! Thanks Joe -- I'll be heading to Netflix tonight!
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Thanks for all the great info Bill. We're thinking of doing some recon of the area, maybe right before or after Council of Five Nations.
    Peter,
    Sounds good -- I did want to talk to you about my Hudson Valley Rumble -- this will be the 8th year I've run it -- I was thinking of expanding it to Sunday and doing the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome event you and I have kicked around on occasion -- I could do the leg work if you want to GM a WWI event there prior to the airshow. If you are interested I'd love to have either your Guadalcanal event or Midway event on Saturday night too. The Rumble is usually in June and I get a very nice space at Marist College in Poughkeepsie (5 minutes from the FDR site and brief driving distance to all the other sites I mentioned in my earlier post). I have often run a Friday night event at Chez Bill for early arrivees -- this year will probably be Sails of Glory since I have become besotted with the game. Let me know what you think about this idea....
    Bill

Awesome bunch of shots btw. A few years ago I found a book of posters with a CD. It is callled Posters of World Wars I and II.​ (Green Edition). Sorry, I tried to upload a picture but the utility kept turing it sideways!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8D9C2AC1-EB30-492E-AEC3-E8B7A5FF5429.jpg  

Very interesting, Joe. I'll keep my eyes peeled for that one. BTW -- I often have the same problem with my pictures -- glad it just isn't me (I always assume it is because I am a technological moron...)
    Bill

Maybe use a different editor? When this happens to me I edit/rotate with 'paint'.

Name:	posters.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	169.9 KB 
ID:	245257

I have three books on World War I posters. The first book is probably the most interesting since it includes posters from all countries in the war. It is also a very large format paperback, but not very thick. The last book is quite thick.

Name:	0486229793.01._SX450_SY635_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	245300 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0857758160.01._SX450_SY635_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	245301 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0896598888.01._SX450_SY635_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	245302
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Very cool -- if you have an interest the exhibit at FDR is right up your alley!

Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    Peter,
    Sounds good -- I did want to talk to you about my Hudson Valley Rumble -- this will be the 8th year I've run it -- I was thinking of expanding it to Sunday and doing the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome event you and I have kicked around on occasion -- I could do the leg work if you want to GM a WWI event there prior to the airshow. If you are interested I'd love to have either your Guadalcanal event or Midway event on Saturday night too. The Rumble is usually in June and I get a very nice space at Marist College in Poughkeepsie (5 minutes from the FDR site and brief driving distance to all the other sites I mentioned in my earlier post). I have often run a Friday night event at Chez Bill for early arrivees -- this year will probably be Sails of Glory since I have become besotted with the game. Let me know what you think about this idea....
    Bill
    Sounds interesting Bill. Not sure I can swing it this year but definitely next year. I'm heading to Origins this June so probably can't get to both.

In the fall doing something at Old Rhinebeck I'm interested in or next year at your Hudson Valley Rumble..

Similar Missions

1. Western Front: The Lincolshire - Bastion in the Air Exhibit at R.A.F. Scampton.
    By Naharaht in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2018, 23:31
  2. Fun Messerschmitt Poster
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-21-2016, 13:49
  3. WW1 poster with a surprise
    By andron234 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-03-2015, 07:01
  4. WW1 RAF Poster