Ares Games

Thread: British Pilots Killed in U.S. During WW II

Default British Pilots Killed in U.S. During WW II

Over on the Sails of Glory site I was telling of a man buried in the village of Needham, Massachusetts that I discovered when I lived there who was a drummer boy in the British army at Waterloo and a sergeant in the Union army at Gettysburg. In searching for his name I came across a monument in Needham to two RAF airmen who were killed in Needham during WW II. Here is what the monument reads:
    "English Airmen
    On Tuesday April 12, 2005 Veterans Agent John Logan assisted in dedicating a plaque located on the corner of Charles River Street and Grove Street for two English pilots who crashed their plane at that site in 1944. The pilots were Lieutenant Albery J. Dawson and First Class Stanley C. Wells. Both men were buried in Woodlawn Cemetery in Everertt, MA."

You never know where you will find some interesting site. In New Bedford MA., next to where I grew up there is a place called Baylieys' Square. My father grew up on the street that ran off of the square. My father, now 94, knows that I am into military history had never mentioned this to me. Last year I read about Frank Baylieys in an Osprey book finding out he was from New Bedford. I new of Baylieys' Square but not it's story. Next time I saw him I mentioned the WWI ace to my dad and he knew all about it.

Next time I'm in the area I have to visit the site.

They may have died in a training accident. It is slightly strange that the plaque assigns them American ranks rather than R.A.F. ranks but that may just be for local convenience.

Similar Missions

1. Western Front: Who killed the Red Baron?
    By fast.git in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-12-2018, 10:08
  2. British B&B
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-12-2013, 15:02
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-17-2013, 20:20
  4. Pilots Badges: British, Imperial German, French and U.S.
    By usmc1855 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-21-2012, 10:35
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-28-2011, 23:50