Ares Games

Thread: Making aircraft damage visible

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dan
    Sorties Flown

Default Making aircraft damage visible

Hi guys,
    Do any players play with damage cards revealed (rather than the standard hidden damage)? Some of the people i have played WOW with complain that the game isnt bloody enough so i was thinking of using revealed damage to alleviate this. Any thoughts?

I've done this a few times. It ends up amusing in a different way as everyone trys attack the enemy plane with the most damage.

You can always give people Acs skills as they make pilots a bit deadlier.

I've played it this way too, it doesn't make much difference to the game but can make a difference to the unfortunate chap who has sustained a lot of damage as all and sundry try to finish him off to gain the kill !
    If you don't do so already, make sure you cycle the boom card back into the deck after they've been taken and give it a shuffle, that may help focus them on the bloody side of things.

"He is wise who watches"

For a particularly bloody and short game, remove all the "zero" cards/chits.

There is the Ace Skill, "Technical Eye", that allows the ace to examine an opponent's damage, if close enough.

And considering all the "kill" claims for planes that weren't actually shot down in real battle situations, it is very possible for pilots not to be able to tell how much damage they inflict on a target. The game plays very well, as is, IMHO.

In pick-up games, people tend to play to the death. You could force players to retreat when certain amounts and types of damage accumulates. Any engine damage should have a prudent pilot run for friendly lines, as should fire. Over half, or three quarters for the brave/foolish, damage resistance lost, or a high value pilot wound, should also send a prundent pilot running. Pilots that want to fly past these limits should have to pass a "Bravery/Suicidal" check, perhaps in secret, if they want to press home the attack.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    For a particularly bloody and short game, remove all the "zero" cards/chits
    Ditto
    Remove all 'zeros' from A deck and the same amount of 'zeros' from B deck (so B deck will still keep some zeros) and watch 'em going down in flames!

yeah, our group plays this way most of the time though were starting to explore blind damage.

Similar Missions

1. Me109K Aircraft Card Damage
    By Razor in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-12-2017, 12:02
  2. Gimbal mount & fire damage - making it work
    By seanmyles in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-20-2013, 15:48
  3. Making your own damage cards - source for cardstock?
    By rcboater in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-17-2013, 13:59
  4. Damage to WWI trains by aircraft MG fire
    By Bruce in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-04-2012, 15:55