Ares Games

Thread: Ready to defend the skies! Well, nearly ready..

Dr K

Default Ready to defend the skies! Well, nearly ready..

Hello hello, great to be here. Let me start by admitting I've never flown a triplane or biplane, but I'm excited to learn.

Last week I discovered WoG while searching for some fun games to play with my son. He loves board games and I've recently taught him chess which he enjoys a lot too, but we often don't have enough time to complete a game. So I searched for something that can be played relatively quickly, yet is interesting for adults too so with enough dept to grow, and ideally the option to play in teams. I don't quite remember how I stumbled on this game on Boardgamegeek, but I ended up reading a review by a dad playing with his boy. They showed lots of pictures and noticed I had a big smile on my face when looking at those minitatures on a big table. And the mechanics of the game looked so elegant. That night the little planes appeared in my dreams. So the next day I didn't hesitate and I placed my order for a Duel Pack. It's on its way now and I cannot wait! I just received a notification that it should be delivered today, perfect timing just before the weekend.

It is a bit frustrating that so many items seem to be out of stock or very expensive in the UK. I've been searching for the WW1 Rules and Accessories pack and a game mat, but do I really need to get this shipped from the US or Germany? Surely the R&A pack doesn't have to cost £75 (currently on Amazon) when it is $20 abroad. And minitatures on eBay go for crazy prices too. Maybe a late pledge for the Rookie bundle on the Tripods and Triplanes kickstarter is an alternative still, but waiting until July doesn't sound attractive. The second Duel Pack first maybe. Anyhow, probably diving in a bit too quickly; looking forward to my first games!

Thanks for having me!

k.
    Last edited by Dr K; 04-13-2018 at 04:03. Reason: typos

Hi Koen, welcome from Essex.

If you can, why don’t you pop down to Salute at Excel tomorrow (book tickets online - £10, not get them at the door - £20!) and see us on Table GJ09. Have a chat with the guys there and play a few games. You will be made very welcome.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Dr K

Thanks Steve! Everybody seems so welcoming here.

I did read about Salute and noticed another post here about a show. I'd really love to, but sadly not able to make it this weekend as I have visitors from abroad. What a bummer to miss it, and so near too. Hopefully another opportunity soon.

Welcome to the Aerodrome Koen. Don't worry, over in Old Blighty there are countless gatherings where you can fly. There will be another one soon no doubt. You will be well taken care of as Britain has a very welcoming and dedicated assortment of Wings aficionados.

Welcome aboard Koen - one for your diary - we have an annual forum gathering in Doncaster where we get together without the public and have a fun weekend duelling in the skies (well on the tables and afterwards in the bar) You are more than welcome to join us. See the Doncaster Con 2018 thread for more details

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Well as my Squadron Leaders seem to have said it all. (don't they always!) I supose it just leaves me to welcome you on behalf of the rest of the pilots based here on the Drome.
    Fly safe and happy hunting.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Welcome to the 'drome Koen, from a currently sunny East Sussex - what a pity you're tucked up with visitors this weekend but hopefully you'll find your way to another event one day.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

(welcoming head bobs) from the lizard.

Your note about eBay prices and out fo stock items are inextricably linked-one of the reason that prices can go so high on eBay is that it's usually the out of print items that are sold.

But not all of them.

Unfortunately, in this case, I can't really help you-I'm in the US, and my knowledge of English (or European) distributors/retailers is crap. Ares does have a website, of course (http://www.aresgames.eu/); they might have a list of UK distributors somewhere there.

Many of the members on this site do post their own resale stuff: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/fo...ed-Classifieds . And Herr Oberst Hajj, Keith, in addition to administering this website maintains the Aerodrome Accessories store, there are some minis available there, in addition to the aptly-named "accessories": http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the 'Drome, Koen!

I'm in West London, near RAF Northolt, so not too far from you.
    If there is anything specific you want to acquire, let me know; I may be able to help.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Hi from Adelaide Koen. Collecting what you want is a long business and ongoing with new releases coming out on a regular basis. It might take a few months to get what you want to start with and then you build your collection. The helpful folk here will put you on the right track.

Thumbs up

G'day Koen & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.
    Lots of great info available here so take your time to look around.
    One source of supply you might want to check out is the Aerodrome Store run by Keith Upton who owns the site. There is a Link up on the top bar of the header.
    Good prices in US $'s. Freight might be a bit high but far better value than anything on Ebay.
    There is a reprint series due around mid year including SE 5a's & Pfalz D.III's so that will be something to look forward too.

welcome to the drome Koen!!! yeah, the lack of availability is frustrating. keep your eyes open though. sometimes you can find minis here and there.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Koen, from here near Norwich.

I believe that my local games shop has a copy of the Rules and Accessories pack but they do not do mail order nor do I know of a U.K. online shop that has one in stock. However, Miniature Market in the U.S.A. has some at a good price and I do not think that the shipping cost is prohibitive. They are a reliable company. https://www.miniaturemarket.com/arewgf002a.html

2ndlife

Hi Koen, welcome from up in Ayrshire.

I too started with a dual pack and then obtained a 'Wings of War' rules set from 'evilbay' to get going, prices can be ridiculous on there, as seen for the recent hundred pound mini, but my son and I had great games with just the two planes (be aware, it can soon grow from just two)
    i have seen one 'Famous Aces' box currently for twenty pounds plus postage on the 'evilbay'.

Welcome Koen having just returned from our Ham & Jam trip I am gutted to have passed through London on my way up north (working today).

Any show we are at....check the forum calender....you and your son will be made more than welcome.

The Doncaster bash is by far a great weekend. We have been lucky to have Andrea one of the games organisers there too.

Enjoy wings. Hope to see you at a show soon.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Dr K

Thanks all for the brilliant comments!

So, my Duel Pack arrived on Friday. Didn't take long before it was all unpacked and I was keen to play a game that evening. Sadly the Camel broke before we had even set up and the tail wing had come off somehow:

So we played the first game with a broken Camel. Still lots of fun! My son had his eyes on the Sopwith Camel and I picked up the Fokker Dr.I which suited me just fine especially given my username here. It was an exciting dog fight, lots of bullets flying around and we managed some good hits while getting familiar with the cards and rules. My my boy brought me down to 4 points and then I drew a BOOM at the next attack. Oh well... haha! Loved it anyway and I was pleased to see him enjoy it a lot, too, and not struggling at all with the three manoeuvre phases and planning some good flight paths. He's been asking to play at every opportunity since! No good playing with a missing tail wing, but nothing a little drop of super glue couldn't fix so all looks good again. The model is great otherwise, wasn't expecting the metal fuselage and the details are excellent.

My youngest felt inspired too, and managed to improvise a biplane out of a Brio construction set:

Thanks Sam, Tim, David, Barry and others for the helpful suggestions on where to find more WoG stuff. Will definitely explore that further. Still a shame the basic Rules and Accessories set is out of stock on our little island while not out of print and widely available elsewhere. Maybe I just need to be patient, but otherwise good to know that shipping is doable too. James, you mentioned Famous Aces but I think that set doesn't have any miniatures huh? Would it still be worth getting just for the cards and other bits?

Today I did buy a game mat. Found an eBay auction for a WoW one (Easter Section) and ended up buying it for roughly the same price as a new mat, simply because a new WoG one doesn't seem to be available elsewhere and I'd assume shipping from the US for a large item is rather costly. Hope I didn't bid against anybody else here, or maybe I bought it from one of you? Anyhow, looking forward to having a proper mat since I realised the table cloth is a bit too smooth to keep everything in place, and of course nice to have a backdrop. There's another £20 going to the game, haha.

Neil, great suggestion about the forum Calendar. And uhm, I pencilled the Doncaster weekend in my calendar just in case, Chris

Similar Missions

1. KI-100`s ready to go!
    By richard m schwab in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-17-2014, 09:46
  2. _Crimson Skies of Glory_ ready
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-01-2013, 14:51
  3. Are You Ready?
    By Beer&pretzels in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 28