Ares Games

Thread: CoVaCon 2018 - Tripods Make an Appearance!

Default CoVaCon 2018 - Tripods Make an Appearance!

This year's local convention has changed names and organizers, but the Geek is still going strong. For the past four years, InCON has hosted Wings of Glory in some form or other. This year, I am bringing my Tripods.

Name:  Covacon2018 Event header.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  96.5 KB

Link: Comox Valley Geek Society - CoVaCon 2018 - Schedule of Events

I'll be running two sessions of the same game I ran at BottosCon 2017. Link: BottosCon 2017 - Wings of Glory, Tripods & Triplanes

Hmmm... The AARs and posts of BottosCon disappeared in the November Server Shuffle... Darn!.

Well, I will be running the Tripods, and whomever shows up will try to destroy them.

More to follow shortly...
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

The Set-up Saturday evening:

Name:  IMG_0060.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  154.5 KB

This is Shane [SkyGuy001] at the table for the first appearance of the Prototype Tripods. Not a successful evening's stroll for the Martians, I'm afraid...
    Mike

Default How to Burn, Brine, and Blow-Up a Tripod in Three Easy Steps.

The Saturday evening meeting of Martians and Earthings went badly for the Martians. This time, I elected to use the Black Smoke with the tripod, as it was three planes verses a single tripod. I thought I was doing well, having reached one of three objectives, with almost no damage. Then, Andrew, flying the Fokker Triplane, gets a shot at my tripod, and squeaks it into the unshielded front edge of my base. He lit me up. He also dropped my maximum power down by one energy point (eight to seven).

Name:  IMG_0061.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  183.8 KB
    My tripod had just stomped through the sea-side town, and was heading for the next objective (top of the image, near the shore in the woods). I had finished laying Black Smoke in the path of Nikolas' Sopwith Triplane (Raymond Collishaw, A Damage), as Andrew overlapped him on the Fokker's approach from the right side. Shane's [SkyGuy001] Sopwith Triplane (W.M. Alexander, B Damage) is heading out to sea.

A few phases later, the Tripod takes a dip:
    Name:  IMG_0063.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  178.4 KB

A bit further out, and the tripod is submerged, putting out the fire:
    Name:  IMG_0064.jpg
Size:  178.5 KB
    One-half ruler length from shore was considered deep enough to submerge this tripod, keeping it from being hit, or firing weapons. It also put out the fire.

Back up on shore, my tripod is now burnt and brined, but not badly damaged. It is nearing the second objective marker almost directly in front of it. I spent some energy to launch more smoke and hit both Nikolas' and Shane's planes. Andrew is off on a sight-seeing tour of the city at the top of the image.
    Name:  IMG_0065.jpg
Size:  197.9 KB

Nikolas hammers some hot lead into the back of my shielded tripod, and I drew the "Boom Card". I had just spent this turn recharging my energy from the objective (three maximum), but I lost four energy to the shield hit (Boom Card reduces energy by half of the original total). Darn!
    Name:  IMG_0066.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  181.7 KB

I expend a bit of my remaining energy to damage the gnats behind me (saved from more damage by Shane's jammed guns), and hurt Shane. Andrew is finally done with the sight-seeing, and decides to come in to help the boys. I'm trying to balance the few points of energy I have with where I need to go to get more. Note the last objective marker at the top left of the image. Then, it is a run to the left map edge for the win!
    Name:  IMG_0067.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  193.0 KB
    Andrew is not in a good position, I just didn't expect the next event. Oh. Did I mention that the previously-drawn "Boom Card" was shuffled back into the damage deck?

And the tripod blows up!
    Name:  IMG_0068.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  203.2 KB
    I had just turned, attempting to get to the next objective, when Andrew just, and I mean just, gets a short-ranged shot into my unshielded front side. The other two planes didn't penetrate the rear shield, but with the +1 shots I'd drawn (unshielded hits), and other shots, my tripod was at half damage. The two fire damage cards did a combined total of '0' points. The "Boom Card" and the extra three damage took the tripod to 21 points.

The Earthing pilots save the day from the rampaging tripod menace! Shane's plane's damage can be seen in the image, all from Black Smoke, and the other two planes had similar damage. My only heat-ray shot missed it's target.

And that's how you burn, brine (admittedly, the Martians assisted with this part of the recipe), and blow-up a tripod. Well done, fly boys!
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 04-16-2018 at 07:27.
    Mike

Default Another Bad Day for the Martians

Sunday afternoon brought four people to the table, with Andrew returning for more mayhem. I used a Mk II Tripod, with Black Smoke, to try to even out the game, as only Andrew had some experience. Andrew was actually on his third outing against the Martians, including his Saturday game. The others were Camron, with some Wings of Glory Experience, and with Dave [Panzer_elite] and Peter, playing their first ever game. The planes were similar to the Saturday game, but included a Nieuport 11 with rockets. I thought I'd be OK with the group, and lots of Black Smoke. The Mk II had 22 Damage Resistance, and 12 energy. It wasn't enough.

Baked Triplane!
    Name:  IMG_0069.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  198.6 KB
    The heavy heat-ray is unleashed at Camron's plane (Collishaw's A gunned Triplane). He, unsurprisingly, bursts into flames!

I decide to take a wade through the water to get away from the swarm.
    Name:  IMG_0070.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  199.8 KB
    I impolitely leave a present behind, directly onto Peter's Triplane (Alexander's with B damage and rockets). Camron is turning around to get another shot at me, and Dave (Kirschstein's Kfokker Dr.1) is attempting to position himself to catch me on the way to the next objective. Andrew, flying the rocket-armed Nieuport 11, is heading away from the melee.

I add more pain to Camron as we pass each other.
    Name:  IMG_0071.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  186.9 KB
    Camron took the very damaging heat-ray hit, and two rounds of fire damage by this time. I was not being kind, at all.

Very unkind. Score one for the Martians! What? No-body wants to cheer?
    Name:  IMG_0072.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  197.2 KB
    Dave has misjudged the turning radius of his plane (first time flying), and Peter is still getting used to the controls. Andrew is off on a sight-seeing tour at the top right, saving his very light plane from getting damaged.

Dave appears to get the mechanics of Wings of Glory down, and Immelmann's back onto the tripod's starboard beam. He shoots into the unshielded side and gets two zeros! Sadly, for the Martians, one of the zeros is a bit spikey. The tripod drops 11 damage points in one shot.
    Name:  IMG_0073.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  183.3 KB
    Peter is attempting to get lined up for a rocket attack but Dave is in the way, and Andrew is trying to come around to the tripod's front. Camron is coming back with a new plane at the bottom of the image, but hasn't made it to the fight, yet.
    Note: Somewhere around here someone hit the tripod and wounded the Martian. From here on in, the tripod must be stationary to fire weapons. This is not good news, with two planes using the A damage deck, and two using the B damage deck. There is probably three more Martian wound cards which have to be taken into consideration. I want to run to the next objective, and get away!

And Dave squeaks in another close-ranged shot, at +1 per card.
    Name:  IMG_0074.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  201.2 KB
    I'm thinking Dave has the mechanics of Wings of Glory down fairly well, for his first game. 15 damage up to this point, with a wounded driver, and Dave throws another 8 points into the tripod. The Martians have another bad day, and the flyboys save humanity from the alien scourge.

Fun was had by most. Actually, I still had fun, cause I played a few games of Tripods & Triplanes/Wings of Glory.

There was some time left in our slot, and some were willing, so we played a free-for-all Wings of Glory dogfight scenario. Andrew ended up with the win, but everyone was well shot-up by the end.

More new players? I certainly hope so. Another successful convention!

PS: Dave [Panzer_elite] has joined us on the 'drome! Yay!
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 04-16-2018 at 10:52.
    Mike

Sounds like you had a lot of fun Mike & the Martians went down well.... !

"He is wise who watches"

Ya it was a great time, I felt bad chewing the Tripod up - seemed like we were ganging up on him. But at the same time watching ripping it to shreds was alot of fun! Great first Game, Mike. I'll be sure to watch for the tables in the future!

-Dave

Dave!

Welcome to the 'drome! Thanks for dropping by the table on Sunday, and bringing Peter. It was a pleasure to meet and play with you both.

Sorry about the payback on the dogfight. You can have a rematch at Curious ComiCon in Nanaimo on the 5th of May, should you be able to make it there.

PS: Dave is one of the coolest people I have had at my gaming table. If anyone wants to know why, you can look here: The Dark Knight of Victoria
    Mike

Firstly welcome to Panzer -elite Dave from the pilots over the pond, and secondly thanks for your superb comentary on the CoVaCon Mike.
    That has certainly wet not only a few Tripods but also my appetite for the game in which we have heavily invested. Looks like a real bit of fun. Can't wait to get my hands on my set.

Well done chaps.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks guys! I always got a kick out of this style of game but never really had a chance to play with anything like it in the past. Curious Comics asked me to setup for the 5th so I will try to break away and make our tie a victory!
    Mike, by chance did that little ace card you gave me survive the cleanup? I was hoping to hang onto it but forgot to grab it when I ran for the closing ceremonies.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer_elite View Post
    Thanks guys! I always got a kick out of this style of game but never really had a chance to play with anything like it in the past. Curious Comics asked me to setup for the 5th so I will try to break away and make our tie a victory!
    Mike, by chance did that little ace card you gave me survive the cleanup? I was hoping to hang onto it but forgot to grab it when I ran for the closing ceremonies.
    Yes, Dave, I have your Ace Card. I will bring it down to ComiCon on May 5th. Two weeks and counting.

For those that didn't attend, I did up my usual souvenir Ace Cards, and a Victor's card:
    Name:  CoVaCon_AceCardsB_AceLuft.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  255.4 KB

PS: Dave was flying the Fokker Dr.I, so I gave him the Luftstreitkraft version.
    Mike

Dr K

Welcome to the forum Dave, hello from London from the member previously the most recent to join

The tripods game sounds fantastic. Does it feel balanced with multiple Earthlings against the Martians?

In the game Mike demoed for us it seemed unfair. there were four of us and maybe it was just luck but we kinda wrecked the poor tripod... Maybe we had too many? ah

Dr K

Probably better that way for a first introduction to the game at a show, and the tripod could be a great way for one experienced player to battle with three or four newcomers in a demo, perhaps. Anyway, this post and the pictures did make think again about a late pledge for the T&T Kickstarter.. maybe.....

Holy fancy flying Dave! Welcome to the drome from chilly Florida.

Great write up Mike, I may have to give Tripods a shot. Looks fun.

Were the scenarios fair?

The first one was against three pilots with experience. I could have taken another tripod, but one of the pilots would have needed to take another plane. That would have allowed too much coordination of attacks for two planes. So, it wouldn't have altered the 'odds' significantly, IMHO. Also, considering the time slot, I wanted a quick, fun, game. I almost made it off the far side of the mat, but taking half damage in a single shot was unfortunate for me. The same could have happened to the planes flying through all that Black Smoke.

The second scenario was against two relative novices and two brand-new players. I also took what I thought was a tough tripod. Four more damage, four more energy, lots of Black Smoke launchers, which are nasty to new flyers. Once again, I did myself no favours drawing "Boom Cards". Very lucky shots on the part of the Earthlings. The game ended early enough, even teaching as we went, to throw together a free-for-all dogfight of Wings of Glory. From my point of view, I couldn't have planned it better. However, Dave can tell you if the introduction was well done, or not. I didn't plan to take it easy on anyone. And I still shot Dave down while he flew a D.VII, as I was piloting Collishaw's Triplane.
    Mike

Honestly, Mike I was really apprehensive about getting into a game because I know these miniature games can take hours but what you put together was fantastic. I may have flown the wrong way a couple times but I walked away enjoying it. I liked that the game could be played with lots of people and not run at a snails pace. I got into warhammer in my teens in the 90's and I remember games taking all day!

On that note, is there a supplier for the game on the island? I found some links in amazon but was hoping there was someone local.

Honestly, Mike I was really apprehensive about getting into a game because I know these miniature games can take hours but what you put together was fantastic. I may have flown the wrong way a couple times but I walked away enjoying it. I liked that the game could be played with lots of people and not run at a snails pace. I got into warhammer in my teens in the 90's and I remember games taking all day!

On that note, is there a supplier for the game on the island? I found some links in amazon but was hoping there was someone local.
    Curious Comics in Victoria or Nanaimo may have some stuff, but Imperial Hobbies in Richmond (Vancouver) will have both versions of Wings of Glory. The Tripod game is still in Kickstarter mode, but the Pledge Manager is still open.

Any of the above can order things in, but if you want a taste, at a reasonable price, please consider ordering a Wings of Glory WWI Duel Pack. At this point, you might be able to get the "Fokker Dr.I vs Sopwith Camel" set, but there are definitely "SPAD XIII vs Albatros D.Va" sets available, if only by order or mail-order. These come with enough things to run a dogfight, and only the 'A' damage deck.

Link: www.curiouscomics.com

Link: www.imperialhobbies.ca

Link: dicebaggames.ca Only had conversations with the owner at conventions, not been to the store nor ordered from them. Could be worth a visit?

The Partner Site: Aerodrome Accessories offers a real bargain on planes, but shipping, exchange rates, and the Canada Border Services fondling fees cut into any savings.
    Link: www.aerodromeaccessories.com Probably the best supplier on the continent, if not for being in a different country. Great accessories and add-ons. Still showing the Dr.I vs Camel Duel Pack for $22 USD.

www.meeplemart.com (Ontario) - Wings of Glory WWI - Albatros D.Va vs SPAD XIII This is listed as in-stock, and for $30 Cdn. With shipping, and no exchange nor fondling fee.
    Note: The Albatros D.Va and the SPAD XIII are stable planes, and really lack the maneuverablity you experienced in our games. However, they are legitimate approximations of mid/late-war aircraft. They take a bit of table space to use, as they have no tight turns, like the Dr.I and D.VII you flew.

If you are interested in doing a bit more than dipping your toe in, consider the WWI Bundle with the Rules and Accessories Pack and four planes. For around $70 dollars, you get all the rules and damage decks (A, B, C, D) for every type of WWI weapon (none of the Tripod weapons, X, Y, & Z, as that is a spin-off version), all sorts of markers, chits, rulers and rules/scenarios for all types of planes (fighters, two-seaters, up to big bombers). And considering that individual planes are now around $20-ish, the bundle basically comes with two free planes. Also, the bundle usually comes with all of the planes mentioned in the Duel Packs, so a very good match-up of different types of planes for a broader experience. Then, you can buy any type of WWI plane, and you will have all you need for any scenario you'd like to run.

When we see each other in Nanaimo, whether you have time to play or not, I can show you all the above so you know what you are really looking at. I even have a Duel Pack to show you.
    Mike

Alright, Bought a two pack for $40 and an extra plane for good measure from Imperialhobbies! Hoping when I see you in may, Mike, I'll have a little more experience under my "wing" lol

Dave, depending on what planes you managed to snag, I have a suggestion for you.

The British were not in favour of personally decorated planes, but the German side certainly allowed it. And there was a plane that was painted in a scheme that might appeal to you. Take a look at this:

Link: www.modelermagic.com - Fokker Dr.1 Triplane

The plane has a historical background, and should be authentic. Lt Josef Jacobs, Kommander of Jasta 7, St Marguerite, June 1918.

I might be able to help out with a plane, if you are interested. It might end up being a paper build, though.

Sample paper build - Link: Zio Prudenzio Model Cards - My 2nd Project - Fokker DR1
    Mike

As the Tripods game is fantasy & all sides are against the invader then the rules on paint jobs could be lifted couldn't they ? Even mixing and matching types eg RFC Dr.1's, German Spads etc, even prototypes can be used like the AFB-1... mounted with cannon ! There is a chance to really mix things up in the desperate hours ahead !
    Welcome to the 'drome Dave (Dunkler Ritter) !

"He is wise who watches"

Gotta admit Mike, that plane does have a little more going on ... I ended up with a blue one :P
    Oh! Almost forgot - here's a picture of Shanes plane burning after you heat rayed the hell out of him haha.

Name:  31046368_10155152592881924_3893628668345319424_n.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  165.4 KB

Gotta admit Mike, that plane does have a little more going on ... I ended up with a blue one :P
    Oh! Almost forgot - here's a picture of Shanes plane burning after you heat rayed the hell out of him haha.

Name:  31046368_10155152592881924_3893628668345319424_n.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  165.4 KB
    Dave,
    I'm afraid that image shows my Triplane being lit up by Andrew, during that four-on-four free-for-all dogfight we had Sunday. The plane on the left is a Sopwith Snipe, and I didn't have any of them in the Tripod games.

PS: In the dogfight, you were flying a Fokker D.VII, and Peter flew a Siemens-Schuckert D.III.

PPS: Thanks for posting the image. Much more dramatic than my top-down images.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 04-20-2018 at 14:50.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Dave,
    I'm afraid that image shows my Triplane being lit up by Andrew, during that four-on-four free-for-all dogfight we had Sunday. The plane on the left is a Sopwith Snipe, and I didn't have any of them in the Tripod games.

PS: In the dogfight, you were flying a Fokker D.VII, and Peter flew a Siemens-Schuckert D.III.

PPS: Thanks for posting the image. Much more dramatic than my top-down images.
    oh Whoops! I remember the flames from the first round and assumed thats what it was from!

Similar Missions

1. WMMS 2018 ..yes 2018 !!
    By Maverick in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-13-2018, 12:00
  2. British Columbia: M-Con 2017 - Wings of Glory Appearance
    By OldGuy59 in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-21-2017, 08:43
  3. British Columbia: MosaiCon - Wings of Glory Appearance
    By OldGuy59 in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 33