Ares Games

Thread: Air to Ship Warfare Rules

Default Air to Ship Warfare Rules

I have downloaded Skafloc's Air to Ship Warfare Rules for Wings for Glory WWI and the associated cards/files and I have questions. I hope this is the proper place to discuss these rules.

1. The special damage decks for HMS Iron Duke and SMS Wittelsbach have different descriptions for the same part of the ship, i.e. the bridge. Should they be different or the same. I favor the descriptions for the SMS Wittelsbach.

2. Are speed and bearing changes once per turn (per the ship description card) or per airplane maneuver card?

3. In what order are change of bearing and change of speed performed? The order does make a difference, but in a game if the player always did it the same way it shouldn't matter.

4. The info card for the HMS Iron Duke mentions 2 x 3 inch guns. Wikipedia says these are anti-aircraft guns (not machine guns). Should this be reflected on the ship card? This would require additional damage cards for the destruction of said guns. I don't think that four machine guns is not enough attack strength for this ship. Airplanes will be required to ward off enemy aircraft.

5. For those who have played with these rules, what speed did you have the ship start at?

That's all I can think of at the moment.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Hopefully Neil (Skafloc) will be able to answer your query in due course Robert - and this probably should be in the House Rules section !

"He is wise who watches"

I will have a look tomorrow and hopefully have an answer for you.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    I have downloaded Skafloc's Air to Ship Warfare Rules for Wings for Glory WWI and the associated cards/files and I have questions. I hope this is the proper place to discuss these rules.

1. The special damage decks for HMS Iron Duke and SMS Wittelsbach have different descriptions for the same part of the ship, i.e. the bridge. Should they be different or the same. I favor the descriptions for the SMS Wittelsbach.

I would go with what you feel is right for you. Both sets were for 2 different members of the forum for 2 seperate game mechanics.

2. Are speed and bearing changes once per turn (per the ship description card) or per airplane maneuver card?

I am sure that on the middle of the 3 aircraft movement cards the ship could either change speed or direction but not both.

3. In what order are change of bearing and change of speed performed? The order does make a difference, but in a game if the player always did it the same way it shouldn't matter.

As these only happen on the middle card of 3 (aircraft turn) then see above. A ship can only perform one 'maneuver' per turn.

4. The info card for the HMS Iron Duke mentions 2 x 3 inch guns. Wikipedia says these are anti-aircraft guns (not machine guns). Should this be reflected on the ship card? This would require additional damage cards for the destruction of said guns. I don't think that four machine guns is not enough attack strength for this ship. Airplanes will be required to ward off enemy aircraft.

At this time in history it was not expected for aircraft to attack ships. Hence the poor if none AA capability of most capital ships.

5. For those who have played with these rules, what speed did you have the ship start at?

The movement is so slight I would trial run your game and see how many turns at full speed, going straight, it would take your ship to cross the playing surface and amend accordingly.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
    See you on the Dark Side......

In a scenario I am working on, my thinking is that the small (10kg and 20lb) bombs carried by most planes would do very little damage to a warship and that it would need larger bombs (like 45kg and 100lb) to do damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    In a scenario I am working on, my thinking is that the small (10kg and 20lb) bombs carried by most planes would do very little damage to a warship and that it would need larger bombs (like 45kg and 100lb) to do damage.
    If a warship had deck mounted torpedo tubes or depth charge launchers and they were hit, then I think there might be a fair amount of damage. Of course, it would be well above the waterline.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Similar Missions

1. Trench Warfare
    By Baxter in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-23-2017, 00:13
  2. Air to Ship new rules trial 2.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-31-2015, 12:17
  3. Air to Ship action House Rules.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 31