Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/144 WWI Airfield

Default 1/144 WWI Airfield

I am thinking about constructing a WGF Airfield diorama/game table. Does anyone have any leads on Hangers or accessories? I would be needing two hangers, vehicles, and perhaps a Mansion or Chateau. I may be able to use some N scale buildings but the others are not found too easily, and I dont want to spend $70 for a single hanger. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

There are two Bessonneau hangar tents on Shapeways. 'HERE' and 'HERE'. Not cheap though.

OUCH!! It may be cheaper for me to buy my own 3d Printer.

If you would like some cardboard models, have a look here, Walter: https://kampfgruppe144.com/downloads_All_00.htm

Try googling paper model buildings. I did that a couple years ago looking for train stations, and found a bunch of free stuff.
    I did just check Fiddler Green and GHQ for you, and no airfield structures.
    Also, if you want to PM me your email, I have an airfield in several files; total is about 16MB. I can't remember were I got them from, and my fav files don't have them there
    Note that these are wooden and tin buildings; the Germans particularly used tents alot. You might ask Clipper for advice on those.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thank you Gentelmen, I will check those links and see what I can find. I could always scratch-build items but if there is something already out there it would save me a lot of time. I did manage to find some 3D printed vehicles but they are ridiculously expensive. I would be looking at around $200 for two hangers and some vehicles and that is just not right! My Quest continues.....

https://www.paperterrain.com/

Jim here is a link to a person that makes paper terrain. I didn't see anything for hangers but if you contact him he might be able to make something like that. I will see him this weekend at COLD WARS and will bring this up.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    https://www.paperterrain.com/

Jim here is a link to a person that makes paper terrain. I didn't see anything for hangers but if you contact him he might be able to make something like that. I will see him this weekend at COLD WARS and will bring this up.
    Thanks Bob. I looked at his site and he has a lot of nice paper models there.

Alas Shapeways charges by the amount of plastic used (and the space surrounding that plastic), and hangars take up a lot of plastic.

That is -- by they way -- also the reason you don't see planes in 1:72 scale on Shapeways... the price rises by 4x to 8x when you double the size.

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    Alas Shapeways charges by the amount of plastic used (and the space surrounding that plastic), and hangars take up a lot of plastic.

That is -- by they way -- also the reason you don't see planes in 1:72 scale on Shapeways... the price rises by 4x to 8x when you double the size.
    God thing we play with little planes, eh
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Has anyone come across any scale drawings (any scale!) for WWI hangars of any type? I have an idea.....

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    Has anyone come across any scale drawings (any scale!) for WWI hangars of any type? I have an idea.....
    The drawings for Bessonneau hangars I used came from "Aircraft Archive: Aircraft of World War One, Volume 3" and they are all reproductions from Aeromodeller or Scale Models International. If you can't find a used copy somewhere, drop me a private email on this forum.

I bite the bullet and ordered some 1/144 vehicles from Shapeways (Masters of Military). I just hope they are worth what I paid for them, I'll let you all know when they deliver. To my dismay..ahem.., I found a Special anniversary Graham Farish 1/148 scale WWI Train set that I absolutely did not need and mysteriously wanted at the same time. It is a model of the Landship train used for hauling Tanks. The model comes with a Class 4 Locomotive and 3 Flat cars with either Mark IV or V tanks wrapped for transport. It runs on N scale track. So now my airfield will have a passing train, and will also become larger. Strange how that happens eh? Thank you again David for the Downloads. I am playing around with one of them now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails main-qimg-57cdf786736511c06c54d6807532d875-c.jpg   370-300-LN01_3275654_Qty1_4.jpg  

Oh, and I also ordered additional Mark IV and Tadpole tanks from shapeways just....................because.

Shapeways are one of the most virulent diseases on this Earth.

I avoided them for a couple of years, but, once infected, I suffer repeat bouts of illness.

That train is awesome! I love the wrappings on the tanks.........................maybe something I could try on my spare 1/300 landships...........................
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Jim, does N-Guage train parts and pieces work well with Wings of Glory? I was thinking about getting a nice Nazi train to create a BOMB THE TRAIN OF NAZI’s AAR with my kiddos.

Kind of a INDIANA JONES feel to it! Except with Trains...... Hahaha
    “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror!” Gregory “Pappy” Boyington, USMC”

Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasChuck View Post
    Jim, does N-Guage train parts and pieces work well with Wings of Glory? I was thinking about getting a nice Nazi train to create a BOMB THE TRAIN OF NAZI’s AAR with my kiddos.

Kind of a INDIANA JONES feel to it! Except with Trains...... Hahaha
    Chuck,
    N scale is 1/160. Wings WWI is 1/144 so its pretty close, but WWII planes are scaled in 1/200. Z scale is 1/220 and would be closer for WWII models. You should probably stay away from trains altogether, they are a very powerful drug and soon you will have many.....and more....and more.

Too late! I’m interested. Where can I shop for a Z-Guage German/Nazi Train from 1938 to 1945? I’ve got to create a BOMB THE NAZI TRAIN mission for my kids and I. I’ll have to have some advice on where to shop! Jim. You just broke my bank!

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Nowotny View Post
    Chuck,
    N scale is 1/160. Wings WWI is 1/144 so its pretty close, but WWII planes are scaled in 1/200. Z scale is 1/220 and would be closer for WWII models. You should probably stay away from trains altogether, they are a very powerful drug and soon you will have many.....and more....and more.
    “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror!” Gregory “Pappy” Boyington, USMC”

Welcome to the dark side chuck!. I am heading out for the day but will PM you later with some great options.

Since the site was down I have been very busy. I took David's ideas of the paper model hangers and made them out of styrene (plastic). I have to load some more pics later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180321_001810_resized.jpg  

Jim that looks INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasChuck View Post
    Jim that looks INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!
    Ditto!

Really excellent work!

Bloody hell - thats brilliant - seriously well done on that one

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Here are some more pics of the progress with some 3D printed items I'm working on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180322_123736_resized.jpg   20180322_221155_resized.jpg   20180326_204056_resized.jpg   20180326_202328_resized.jpg   20180326_203852_resized.jpg  

Well, that's even better!

REP!!!!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Those are looking simply splendid, Jim!

All the best,
    Matt

Being a past master at the use of styrene plastic, I applaud your work Jim.
    Those are works of art in their own right.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Wow! That's is seriously great! You need to do a How-to on this.

Karl

Thumbs up

Some Awesome work there Jim! Just brilliant.
    Rep Inbound.

That is really great work, Jim! How many planes can you get into each hanger, please? From the photographs I estimate two single-seaters per hanger.

Great work Jim and from that work and your knowledge of scales I take it you are a model railroader. Somewhere I have my back issues (68 and later) of Model railroad Mag. Its something to see how thing have changed over the years.

Looking at those fantastic hangers I forgot to mention that I spoke with Scott (Paper Terrain) at Cold Wars and said he has had some requests for them. So looks like he looking into doing some.

Here are the completed hangers. The design is based on a two plane hanger. Two fighter planes fit perfectly inside, or one two-seater. I don't have any more pictures of the build itself, but I can briefly describe how I made them. I did a bit of research on the Web and also got some paper model downloads from David. I saw two styles of doors on my internet search: Sliding doors and Accordion doors. The sliding doors would have been faster and easier but the Accordion doors just looked fantastic. I built the three different door positions to add flavor the the project. The doors are fixed. I'm sure I could have made them functional but I did not feel a need for that. I used Davids Download of the paper model as a Template. It was already scaled in 1/44, the same as our planes. I used Sheet styrene(fancy model builders name for plastic) made by evergreen Products. This is available in many different sheets, shapes and sizes. Plasti-struct is another manufacturer of these items. I cut the main pieces based on the download from sheets of "V-Groove" stock. The "V-groove" also comes in many different Spacing variations and I used the Download to physically match one at the Hobby Shop, .080" spacing x .040" thick. I did the same for the roof, matching the spacing to the printed download, .050" spacing X .040" thick. The doors started as flat sheet also with individual pieces of .020" x .040 " Strip stock glued to them to frame them out and add the "Z" bars. The trim around the roof and doors is also the same strip stock. I cut some square pieces for the number boards. Inside there is some scrap material to brace up the corners and make the model stronger and on the full open door hanger I also added "V-groove" on the back wall for detail. I used 4 different colors on the roof, blending them together while wet. Once dried I washed them with diluted dark brown. The walls and doors are two different colors also finished off with the same wash. The numbers on the Hangers are dry transfer from Woodland Scenics. Each hanger took a little over two hours to build but I did not keep track of the painting time. I wish to thank everyone who has added comments and help on this project. I could not have done it without you guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180408_151542_resized.jpg   20180408_151609_resized.jpg   20180408_151642_resized (1).jpg   20180408_151656_resized.jpg   20180327_003532_resized.jpg  

20180328_125408_resized.jpg  

Great job, Jim. Those look great.

Those tanks in the background look interesting as well.

As everyone has said, they look fantastic.

Default A Very Special Award is needed!

Here are the completed hangers. The design is based on a two plane hanger. Two fighter planes fit perfectly inside, or one two-seater. I don't have any more pictures of the build itself, but I can briefly describe how I made them. I did a bit of research on the Web and also got some paper model downloads from David. I saw two styles of doors on my internet search: Sliding doors and Accordion doors. The sliding doors would have been faster and easier but the Accordion doors just looked fantastic. I built the three different door positions to add flavor the the project. The doors are fixed. I'm sure I could have made them functional but I did not feel a need for that. I used Davids Download of the paper model as a Template. It was already scaled in 1/44, the same as our planes. I used Sheet styrene(fancy model builders name for plastic) made by evergreen Products. This is available in many different sheets, shapes and sizes. Plasti-struct is another manufacturer of these items. I cut the main pieces based on the download from sheets of "V-Groove" stock. The "V-groove" also comes in many different Spacing variations and I used the Download to physically match one at the Hobby Shop, .080" spacing x .040" thick. I did the same for the roof, matching the spacing to the printed download, .050" spacing X .040" thick. The doors started as flat sheet also with individual pieces of .020" x .040 " Strip stock glued to them to frame them out and add the "Z" bars. The trim around the roof and doors is also the same strip stock. I cut some square pieces for the number boards. Inside there is some scrap material to brace up the corners and make the model stronger and on the full open door hanger I also added "V-groove" on the back wall for detail. I used 4 different colors on the roof, blending them together while wet. Once dried I washed them with diluted dark brown. The walls and doors are two different colors also finished off with the same wash. The numbers on the Hangers are dry transfer from Woodland Scenics. Each hanger took a little over two hours to build but I did not keep track of the painting time. I wish to thank everyone who has added comments and help on this project. I could not have done it without you guys!
    For this valiant effort the elves award you the Muse of Styrene!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Styrene the Muse of Scratchbuilders.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	243829

Cheers!

Absolutely fantastic Jim

REP gun jammed unfortunately
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Top Hangars Jim (there's a 'that's what she said' joke there somewhere...!) I know if I tried that there wouldn't be a straight line anywhere

"He is wise who watches"

Marvelous job on the hangars Jim.

Excellent work Jim, well worth some rep.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Arizona (Otherwise known as Hell's back porch)
    Sorties Flown

I'm going to add my "Awesome Job" comment to all of the rest here. As an avid "scratch builder" myself and very familiar with Evergreen and Plastruct styrene products, I can say that you are right on par with many professional Architect model builders out there.
    I would suggest that if you want to make the bifold doors functional, you could use medical cloth tape. A dab of superglue on the tape to secure it on permanently, and it can be painted to match the interior. A span of "C" channel across the inside just above the door opening, and a piece of rod to fit into the channel and that rod glued to the inside of the two doors that meet in the middle at the top. The doors become functional now. I've used that trick quite a few times when I needed a door to open and close.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Knowitall View Post
    I'm going to add my "Awesome Job" comment to all of the rest here. As an avid "scratch builder" myself and very familiar with Evergreen and Plastruct styrene products, I can say that you are right on par with many professional Architect model builders out there.
    I would suggest that if you want to make the bifold doors functional, you could use medical cloth tape. A dab of superglue on the tape to secure it on permanently, and it can be painted to match the interior. A span of "C" channel across the inside just above the door opening, and a piece of rod to fit into the channel and that rod glued to the inside of the two doors that meet in the middle at the top. The doors become functional now. I've used that trick quite a few times when I needed a door to open and close.
    Thanks for the compliments! I really enjoy working with plastics. I actually have some plastic micro hinges that I was going to use on the doors from some R/C airplane parts laying around. I decided to build the doors static instead because I did not see myself opening and closing them. I have seen the tape method you mentioned. That works well also. Every Roll Top desk I have seen uses that method, and they stay working for a loooong time.

Truly excellent work!

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Your hangars look great.Congratulations.

WWI vehicles in 1/144 are scarce!!!! I found these through shapeways. The trucks, cannons and Ambulances are done in" frosted ultra detail" and impressed the hell out of me! I believe the designer is "Masters of military" They were not cheap but definitely worth it. The tanks did not impress me. They were done in "green and polished". Polished means it gets tumbled with media and lose detail. After all that, I still felt like I was painting an emery board! Thumbs down. I ordered several tanks in metal from Arrowhead miniatures. They have magnificent detail. I'll post pics once I get to them. These were all done with acrylics and sealed with Testors Clear Flat Lacquer. These are my first attempts at 3D printed materials.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180408_155304_resized.jpg   20180408_155320_resized.jpg   20180408_155336_resized.jpg   20180408_155419_resized.jpg  

... The tanks did not impress me. ...
    They look damn good from where I sit - as do all of your other pieces in those pics.
    REP inbound, sir ...

Gorgeous lorries and ambulances.
    Alas, my rep guns are jammed...

Great job on all the vehicles.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

All the above is pretty Awesome. It would all look good on a table. Where to store all these trimmings would be an issue, though.

Just imagine all the targets the Tripods would have, and that Earthling would need to defend. Burn and Stomp!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Airfield Mop up 2.
    By richard m schwab in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-16-2015, 07:23
  2. Airfield Mop Up!
    By richard m schwab in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-16-2015, 05:08
  3. South England New arrivals at my airfield!
    By sekwah275 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 08:20
  4. N. England & Scotland AAR 4: Airfield Raid.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2013, 14:26
  5. Airfield flood!!
    By mtyree1972 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-09-2011, 18:10