Ares Games

Thread: Dutch markings

Default Dutch markings

Any chance for decals for planes in the Dutch East Indies ? I see they had Buffalos and H-75's. I have added many planes due to your great decals.

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

There's always a chance, it just depends if you need them now or a month or two from now

There are two kinds of markings used. The orange triangle was replaced in Feb 1942 by the national flag.

If those markings come out I'll have some ... esp the Dutch flag ones from feb '42 onwards ...
    cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Yes I saw that in my AirFile book. Just wondered as I like your decals but no big deal or hurry.

Guus has some really good looking planes.

thanks Bob
    cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Any other aircraft besides the Buffalo and Hawk 75? Or, any particular sizes that you'd like to see? The flag would be relatively easy, find a good font or making polygons to represent letters and numbers gets a bit more involved.

Kevin,

the Dutch national flag (as used after feb 1942 in Netherlands East Indies, New Guinea, Australia) was used on: Brewster 339D (Buffalo), Curtiss H.75A-7 Hawk, Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIB (???), Curtiss P-40N Kittyhawk, Douglas DC-3, Douglas DC-5, North American B-25C, D & J, North American P-51D & P-51K Mustang, Catalina and possibly Dornier Do.24K. Also on some other minor aircraft (trainers, liaison). Types I can find if needed.

If you plan to make those decals I can provide you with Squadron numbers and codes.
    cheers,
    Guus
    Last edited by Aardvark1430; 03-16-2018 at 08:38.

The Curtiss-Wright C21Bs were all destroyed, captured or unserviceable after the order to change markings came down. One of the last operational ones was captured intact and flyable by the Japanese.

If you look carefully, you can see what appears to be the remains of the Dutch triangle under the honomaru, though this is anything but clear. I have seen no photos of CW21Bs with the national flag markings.

cw-21_japmks.jpg

See this photo of other captured aircraft, a B17 and P36.

b-17_japmks.jpg

I believe the few survivors by Glenn Martin 139WH-3 and 139WH-2 (Martin B-10s) also converted to the national flag markings. Some captured ones were later supplied to the Royal Thai Air Force.

OOB at Nov 1941
    http://www.oocities.org/dutcheastindies/Dutch_OOB.html

92_3.jpg

I think it fair to say that the situation in the NEI from December 1941 to March 1942 was chaotic. Extraordinary valour on the part of the Dutch aircrews was routine. Conducting a fighting retreat is the hardest of military maneuvers, and that so many got out literally at the last second, fighting off interception on the way to the next airfield again and again is amazing. That there were any survivors at all is miraculous.

The Dutch aircrew and groundcrews provided a very significant supplement to the RAAF in 1943-45, after re equipping with modern aircraft. The equipment still arriving in 1942, bought and paid for before the Japanese attack, often went astray in Australia while the Dutch were still reorganising. The13th light bombardment squadron 'Reapers' managed to acquire 24 Dutch B-25s and have them stationed in Port Moresby before they were missed.

When the unit arrived in Australia in January 1942, they were still without airplanes. While waiting for aircraft, the Reapers learned there were 24 brand new B-25s sitting on the ramp in nearby Melbourne, but the planes were earmarked for the Dutch. Soon after, 24 Reaper pilots arrived in Melbourne, presented a confused Officer of the Day with an authorization letter, and nonchalantly flew away with the airplanes before anyone realized the mistake.

Nice add Zoe
    Your "Dutch roots" still shine brightly
    cheers,
    Guus

Thanks for all the info. I just picked up 3 Buffalo's from Dave (AIM) and he had some decals. So now I start my Dutch AF for use against the Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I just picked up 3 Buffalo's from Dave (AIM) and he had some decals. So now I start my Dutch AF for use against the Japanese.
    Hey Bob,
    to that i can only "say"
    cheers,
    Guus

Thanks Guus. I know my paint jobs will not be as good yours but they will represent the forces there.

Similar Missions

1. Dutch Wing!
    By Blackronin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-26-2016, 13:43
  2. My Brewster B-339 goes Dutch
    By Blackronin in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-07-2016, 02:47
  3. The Dutch Experience
    By Blackronin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 44