Ares Games

Thread: AEG G.IV

Default AEG G.IV

I have ordered a Reviresco AEG G.IV bomber to use with WoW. Is there a data card for this aircraft? What maneuver deck should it use, and where do I find that deck? Also, what are its altitude and bomb load capabilities in the game? Lastly, how big should the base be, and does anyone make a suitable base for this model?

Chris

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2677

You'll find most of your questions discussed and hopefully answered to your satisfaction there. There's a card for it in the Files section, in the WW1/custom cards/bombers section. It may need to be resized, it should be the same as the smaller bomber card in Flight Of The Giants which is about the size of two fighter cards placed side by side (don't have the set, someone will need to check that).

From published data: Max. altitude was 4500m, which is about 9 pegs. Climb rate would be 8.
    Last edited by IRM; 12-14-2010 at 20:45.

Having conducted a rather "thorough" search of the internet, for info on the AEG G.IV, I have found the following:

1. The G.IV was used for both day and night bombing. However, like its larger cousins, the Gothas, Zepplin-Staaken, etc..., as Entente "Archie" gunners became more effective, these missions were increasingly conducted at night.

2. While the above is correct, durring the German "Michael" offensive, as well as the Allies final offensives, the G.IV and other German "Tactical" aircraft (such as the various Cl. and J-types) were forced to fly multiple sorties per day, durring the hours of daylight, in attacks on Allied forces on or near the front lines. These "tactical" targets included enemy trenches (and troops in the open) , artillery, tanks, depots and railheads.

So, while the G.IV (like most German bombers of WWI) flew most of their missions at night, there are ample excuses for including the plane in WoW scenarios simulating attacks on "tactical" ground targets.

Chris