Ares Games

Thread: Mission 20 Albert to Bapaume 23 August 1918

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Cool Mission 20 Albert to Bapaume 23 August 1918

'Twas a dark and stormy night. The booming of the thunder and the flashes of lightning on the horizon. The roar of the wind changing from the roar of an angry lion to the howl of a maddened banshee.
    The day dawned bright and sunny with a few high clouds, like it had the past two weeks. The early morning dew was the only moisture upon the land and our planes.
    We are in the third day of the offensive and we are to go up and give fire support and air cover as our units move forward.
    Attachment 242978

We crossed the front and saw four of the Germans heading our way, 3 Scouts and a two seater.
    We met the enemy and they took the first shot at 2Lt. Farr(1) doing minimal damage due to difference in altitude.
    Attachment 242979

The Red Albatross of Fwbl Addix kept turning trying to get behind our RE8. Cpl. Inmantook a shot hitting Fwbl Addix(2NR)
    Attachment 242980

As the Fwbl dove to the level of the RE8 Cpl Inman took another shot causing smoke to issue from the engine compartment. ( 1SMK )
    Attachment 242981

2Lt. Hamlett dropped down level with the Germans Halberstadt CLII(5) taking a long shot doing major damage.
    Attachment 242982

An exchange of shots between 2Lt. Hamlett(0) and Ltn. Dietrich (0) ended in a waste of ammunition on both parties.
    Attachment 242983

Continuing to circle around 2Lt. Hamlett(2 Smk, 1) gets hit by Ltn. Dietlich.
    Attachment 242984

2Lt. Forbes(2NR,1) being in between the Fokker DVII of Vzfwbl Albricht(1,0) and Fwbl Addix, did minor damage to the Vzfwbl.
    Attachment 242985

2Lt. Hamlett (1) trying to circle behind the Halberstadt gets hit again.
    Attachment 242986

First shot to hit goes to the Halberstadt
    Attachment 242987
    Last edited by Setarius; 03-11-2018 at 17:06. Reason: Pictures are fubarredd

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

2Lt. Hamlett(3) still chasing the Halberstadt gets flanked by Fwbl Güttler and shot.
    Attachment 242988

2Lt. Reeves(1) and Ltn. Dietrich(0) exchange shots doing very little damage.
    2Ltn. Hamlett(0,2) gets hit again by Fwbl Güttler.
    Attachment 242989

2Lt. Farr gets too close to the Halberstadt piloted by Fwbl Ewers. The collision took both left side wings off the plane of 2Lt. Farr(EXP) while the Halberstadt(0) came away unhurt.
    2Lt. Reeves takes a shot at Fwbl Güttler(0,1) doing minimal damage.
    Kill--Fwbl Ewers
    Attachment 242990

2Lt. Reeves takes a shot at Fwbl Güttler(2GJ) but his guns seize up before he can do significant damage.
    Vzfwbl Albrecht(2) and Cpl Inman(3) exchange shots for similar damage.
    Attachment 242991

2Lt. Hamlett(2)(3) gets hit from both ends returning significant damage to Vzfwbl Albrecht(4SMK).
    Lt. Forbes gets in on the action by hitting Vzfwbl Albrecht(4SMK,1NR) and doing significant damage.
    Lt. Getz(1GJ) and Fwbl Ewer(0) do minimal damage to each other.
    Attachment 242992

Fwbl Güttler does enough damage to 2Lt. Hamlett(4) to send him to the ground.
    2Lt. Forbes causes a fire on Vzfwbl Albrecht's(2FLM) kite.
    Kill--Fwbl Güttler
    Attachment 242993

2Lt. Forbes hits Vzfwbl Albrecht(0,5P) from behind causing him to jerk missing 2Lt. Reeves(0,0)
    Cpl. Inman shoots Ltn. Dietlich(0,1).
    Attachment 242994
    Attachment 242995

As Cpl Inman(0,0GJ) and Ltn. Ewers(0GJ,2NL) square off both weapons go silent with the Cpl scoring the hits.
    Attachment 242996

2Lt. Forbes hits the Halberstadt(1,0) for minimal damage.
    Attachment 242997
    Last edited by Setarius; 03-11-2018 at 19:00.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

As people flew around to possibly aid the cause, Lt. Forbes disappeared into the cloud cover that was slowly building.
    Attachment 242998

Finally a hit by the Entente on enemy positions.
    Attachment 242999

Fwbl Güttler takes a shot at the RE8(0) but misses.
    Attachment 243000

2Lt. Reeves shoots at Fwbl Güttler (1NL) doing minimal damage.
    Attachment 243001
    2Lt. Reeves shoots at Fwbl Güttler (0) missing as the Fwbl also misses the RE8(0).
    Attachment 243002
    2Lt. Reeves tries again but missed as his gun jam.
    Fwbl Güttler (0GJ) didn't have the bad luck of the 2Lt and was able to hit the RE8(4).
    Attachment 243003

Fwbl Güttler takes a shot at the RE8(1,0) punching another hole in the fabric.
    Attachment 243004

Another shot by Fwbl Güttler on the RE8(3) punches more holes in the fabric.
    And another shot by Fwbl Güttler does enough damage to the RE8(1,0GJ) to send it spinning to the ground ending its flying days.
    Attachment 243005
    Attachment 243006

With guns jammed and almost out of ammunition Fwbl Güttler decides to escape to fight another day.
    A parting shot by 2Lt. Reeves causes a fire on Fwbl Güttler(2FLM) plane as he escapes.
    Attachment 243007
    Last edited by Setarius; 03-11-2018 at 20:07.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Butcher's Bill

Entente Left to Right

2Lt. Joseph Farr Sopwith Camel-No dot
    COL-EXP-ET
    C&W R7-3EXP=4 SKIP 4 Skip 1D6 Scenarios. Roll 3= Skip 3
    E&E R5 -1EXP -1BEL -1WIC = 2 Captured - The war is over for this pilot

2Lt. Rodger Hamlett Sopwith Camel-Yellow dot
    SD ET
    C&W R6-1SD=5 SKIP 2
    E&E R11-1BEL-1WIC=9 They don't see me
    Attachment 243008

Lt. Etienne Getz RE8(P)
    SD FT
    C&W R6-1SD=5 SKIP 3

Cpl. Christian Inman (O)
    C&W R9-1SD=8 SKIP 1
    Attachment 243009

Central Powers Left to Right

Vzfwbl Otto Albrecht Fokker DVII
    SD-FLM-Ft / WIA
    C&W R12-2FLM -1WIA =9 All's well when you land well
    Attachment 243010

RTB early

Central Powers
    Fwbl Rudolph Addix Albatross DIII
    RTB 6 DMG
    Attachment 243011

Entente

Lt. Forbes SPAD XIII RTB(Early) 1 KILL
    Vzfwbl Albrecht

2Lt. Matthew Reeves Sopwith Camel--pink Dot
    Attachment 243012

Fwbl Max Güttler Albatross DVA RTB 6 DMG 2 KILLS
    2Lt. Hamlett
    RE8

Fwbl Friedrich Ewers (P) Halberstadt CLII RTB 9 DMG

Ltn. Albert Dietlich (O)
    Attachment 243013

Four targets hit
    Central Powers--3
    Entente--1
    Attachment 243014

Starting positions showing card placement.
    I used the river as the defining line for the front.
    Attachment 243015
    Attachment 243016
    Attachment 243017

Victory Points

Entente
    Artillery hits--1 pt
    Enemy shot down--4 pts
    Leave early--6 pts
    Total--11

Central Powers
    Artillery hits--3 pts
    Enemy shot down--12 pts
    Leave early--2 pts
    Total--17

CENTRAL POWERS DECISIVE AERIAL VICTORY

I missed a picture of a CP plane catching fire and flying off the board early. Fwbl Güttler pulled 3 cards for fire damage that left him with 1hp by the time he landed.
    This did surprise me a little. The CP won even being limited in aircraft, ammo, and restrictions on engines. After my last two missions I though the Entente would have an easy time again, guess that is what happens when you think too much.
    I divided my ammo up, give the scout pair 15 each, the scout and two seater 10 each, with the two seater pilot and observer getting 5 each. The two seater used half their allotted ammo and the Abatross got down to its last shot.

Good Luck everyone.
    Last edited by flash; 03-13-2018 at 09:31. Reason: Correct Tally

Tough break for your Bulldogs, Dale.
    A surprising victory for our Eagles.
    I managed one as well, and I am hoping that Peter (Teaticket) can give us a third.

From your earlier post I expected to see a closer total than it ended up.
    Well played and documented. Your starting position system worked very well, I thought.

When I read the restrictions you added for this scenario I thought we would be hard-pressed to survive, let alone pull off a win.
    I wasn't sure how to divvy up the ammo rations and ended up giving them all 10 shots each.
    I was leery of using it all up, but ended up using exactly half of my allotment. My D.VII scouts used the most - 9 and 8.
    The E.V used 4 and the Hannover the same- 1 for the pilot and 3 for the observer.
    I think your restrictions added to the feel for the uphill climb the Germans were experiencing in the closing months of the war - great idea!
    The limit of two of any given plane actually worked out for me given the pilots I had available. (I like to have my pilots fly the same aircraft mission to mission where possible)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

I agree Pete, I thought if the Eagles were going to pull off the victory they would have to use the 4 scout option. But, we both have just proven that the Eagles can win with the 2 seater.
    One thing, I even thought about limiting the planes even more by only making specified types available.
    Example:
    Fokker DVII-0
    Albatross DVA-2
    AlbatrossDIII--2
    Fokker DR.1-1
    Fokker Eindecker-1

Along with a couple of older planes for even say the Eagles had to start with some damage on their planes. But, I decided to be nice since we are not in the last couple of missions.

This was not as straight forward as it seemed - we must warn the other Bulldog flights or they may cop a packet as well !
    Well played Dale, the warning maybe came too late for my chaps.

Uncle says:

Seems we lost this over but the match is still on chaps, we may yet pull it out of the bag.

Having reviewed the Tally I have made some corrections - it would seem that Mr Farr will not be joining us for the rest of the war as he is unavoidably detained ...
    Whilst he was downed by a collision he drew the boom card and that will be counted as a "Boom card drawn for any reason - overrides flamer/collision". When that is taken into account on his E&E he is taken POW.

2Lt. Joseph Farr Sopwith Camel-No dot
    COL-EXP-ET
    C&W R7-3EXP = 4 Skip 1D6 Scenarios. Roll 3= Skip 3
    E&E R5 -1EXP -1BEL -1WIC = 2 Captured - The war is over for this pilot

Fwbl Max Güttler picks up a Pilots badge and an Iron Cross 2nd class for his brace of victories.
    Last edited by flash; 03-13-2018 at 09:50.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Smile

This just shows that even with what appears to be a good advantage the Damage cards & Lady Luck can throw up a surprise result.
    Good try Dale but it just was not the Doggies Day. Rep inbound mate.

Oh dear Dale - Us Bulldogs don't appear to be doing so well right now I played mine out before reading this and chose the four scout opposition formula - not sure that was such a good idea now - originally thought the odds were too much in favour of the entente otherwise. Guess I was wrong. Well played despite the result and a nice AAR. Thanks for sharing and thanks for a very enjoyable mission Rep inbound.

Tough outcome for your Bulldogs Dale. Looked like Lady Luck spricht deutsch this time out. The boys put up a good fight.

Similar Missions

1. BRF OTTBE Mission 20 - Albert to Bapaume - 23rd August 1918
    By Setarius in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-16-2018, 06:32
  2. AAR OTT BE Mission 20 - Albert to Bapaume - 23 August 1918 {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-25-2018, 19:11
  3. AAR OTT BE Mission 19 - 7th August 1918
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-09-2018, 03:52
  4. AAR Mission 10: BreakthroughBreakthrough - 25th August 1918 - by Nightbomber
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-10-2014, 07:38
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-21-2013, 21:11