Ares Games

Thread: Red Thunder Air Show Watts Bridge Airfield, Brisbane Valley 26-27 May 2018

Default Red Thunder Air Show Watts Bridge Airfield, Brisbane Valley 26-27 May 2018

Holy smokes another great airshow in southeast QLD!

https://www.redthunder.com.au/

The Airshow begins at 10.00am with non-stop action right through to the finale at 4.00pm. In the air you will see some of the world’s most iconic Warbirds, Vintage, Modern Military Machines, Aerobatics, Helicopters, Formation Aerobatics, Skydiving, Sport Aircraft and so much more. The Royal Australian Air Force is yet to confirm the assets that will be made available for the Airshow, at this stage we are expecting the FA-18 Super Hornet to do a handling display that is guaranteed to impress. We are also expecting the C-17 Globemaster to show it size and impressive manoeuvrability.

In addition to WW1 and WW2 warbirds there will be aerobatic and sky-diving displays, hot-rod shows and a pinup competition! Also meet some of Australia’s leading military history groups and check out their world class collections of rare battlefront memorabilia, authentic uniforms, weaponry and historic military vehicles.

Directions - Watts Bridge Memorial Airfield is located approximately 5nm from the small country township of Toogoolawah, an easy 1 to 1½ hours drive from Brisbane. To the south of the airfield is the particularly scenic Brisbane Valley area featuring open rolling pastures and cleared farming country bordering the Wivenhoe Dam. To the north and west is the Great Dividing Range – gateway to the Darling Downs and beyond. A short flight to the east passes the grand Glass House Mountains en route to the most picturesque bay and beach scenery imaginable.
    GPS Address - 801 Cressbrook Caboombah Road Cressbrook
    From Esk
    Take the Esk – Somerset Dam Road.
    Turn into Mt Beppo Road towards Toogoolawah and travel approximately 6Km’s.
    Take a right turn into Silverleaves Road and travel approximately 3Km’s to the intersection of Silverleaves Road and Cressbrook-Caboonbah Road.
    Take a right turn into Cressbrook – Caboonbah Road.
    The entrance to Watts Bridge Memorial Airfield is approximately 100 metres on your left.

Early Bird Prices
    Limited Quantity of Early Bird Tickets Available - Purchase Now and SAVE!
    Weekend Passes
    Includes entry to the Event for Saturday & Sunday
    Adult: $55.00
    Child: $20.00
    Pensioner: $50.00
    Family (2 x Adults + 2 x Children) : $150.00

Single Day Passes (Saturday or Sunday)
    Includes entry to the Event for either Saturday or Sunday (entry is for one day only)
    Adult: $28.00
    Child: $10.00
    Pensioner: $25.00
    Family (2 x Adults + 2 x Children) : $75.00

Gold VIP Passes
    Weekend Adult: $120.00
    Single Day Adult: $60.00

If anyone is keen to go post a reply.

Thumbs up

That sounds just Awesome Carl.
    Pity its so darned far from down here!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    That sounds just Awesome Carl.
    Pity its so darned far from down here!
    TAVAS and the Emu Gully crew will be there, as well as the Sopwith Pup, it should be a great event.

Name:  sopwith_pup_afc.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  87.2 KB

Off to Watts Bridge tomorrow morning with Dad, gold class VIP tickets in hand. Aircraft, ground re-enactors, hot-rods, even a pin up contest!

Should be a great day and of course I shall report back to the membership

Red Thunder was a great show last weekend, with perfect weather for most of the day. Originally just an 'insider' fly-in involving local pilots who fly Yak, Sukhoi and Nanchang trainers (hence the 'Red' in Red Thunder), a couple of years back the participants decided to run it as a full blown airshow. I'm glad they did!

Name:  IMG_3628.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  209.3 KB

I took my father Ray who turns 82 this year, and who is largely responsible for my aviation obsession.

Name:  IMG_3633.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  184.4 KB

His knees not being what they once were I bought tickets to the VIP area right next to all amenities …..

Name:  IMG_3634.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  129.1 KB

….. particularly the bar which was about 5 metres behind our seats

Name:  IMG_3607.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  138.7 KB

Some of the aircraft parked right in front of our location included the P-51D Mustang ….

Name:  IMG_3608.png
Views: 198
Size:  300.5 KB

….. the Yak-3U Steadfast (this one fitted with a Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasp radial - goes like the clappers!)

Name:  IMG_3612.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  117.8 KB

….. Yak-9 …..

Name:  IMG_3631.jpg
Size:  175.9 KB

….. L39 Albatros jet trainer …..

Name:  IMG_3641.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  208.9 KB

….. and the Spitfire Mk.XVI from Temora Aviation Museum, which actually flew combat sorties in NW Europe in 1945.

Name:  IMG_3616.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  159.6 KB

Great War aircraft present at the event included the Sopwith Pup replica based at Watts Bridge as well as the TAVAS Manfred von Richthofen Fokker Dr.I and their Bristol F.2B Fighter. The last two put on a great war air combat display which was one of the best I have seen.

Name:  IMG_3613.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  170.7 KB

Other between the wars vintage aircraft included a Leopard Moth similar to the aircraft in which my father experienced his first joy-flight in 1944 at the age of 8.

Name:  IMG_3614.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  191.6 KB

One of my favourites, the beautiful Gypsy Moth.

Name:  IMG_3620.jpg
Size:  235.7 KB

The re-enactors of 'Army Group South' were present portraying Eastern Front German …….

Name:  IMG_3619.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  186.7 KB

….. and Soviet ground forces.

Name:  IMG_3625.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  111.6 KB

The actual airshow started with a skydiving demonstration by the crew from Ramblers DropZone Toogoolawah who landed smack on the button …..

Name:  IMG_3622.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  57.7 KB

….. and some skywriting by one of the Yak pilots.

Name:  IMG_3653.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  159.7 KB

The L39 went up and put on a good show, passing right in front of us as it taxied back to the flight line. The aerial displays were fantastic, but unfortunately I did not have my SLR with long lens for good shots as it is in the workshop, but I took some video and a few stills.

Name:  IMG_3647.JPG
Views: 165
Size:  40.6 KB

The Fokker Dr.I ……

Name:  IMG_3665.JPG
Views: 180
Size:  32.8 KB

….. the unmistakeable elliptical wing of the Supermarine Spitfire ……

Name:  IMG_3682.JPG
Views: 180
Size:  26.8 KB

….. and a fantastic acrobatic display by the Yak-3U. As time permits I will try and upload the videos to YouTube.

Name:  IMG_3732.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  157.9 KB

Dad and I were lucky enough to secure a joy-flight at the event in the Waco YMF-F5C biplane.

Name:  Waco Carl & Ray.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  69.5 KB

The aircraft has two cockpits, a single seat in the rear for the pilot and a side by side twin cockpit forward. The front seats also have rudder pedals so you have to watch where you put your feet!

Name:  IMG_3751.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  126.8 KB

By chance one of the professional photographers sitting near our table in the VIP area captured our take off.

Name:  IMG_3713.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  154.4 KB

We were treated to a fantastic view of the Brisbane Valley and the Wivenhoe Dam from low level (1200-1500 feet).

Name:  IMG_3704.jpg
Size:  153.9 KB

Selfie in the front cockpit.

Name:  IMG_3731.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  159.7 KB

Dad posing with our pilot. I didn't have to ask him if he had a good time, the smile say it all.

It was a great day and these images a just a sample of the marvellous aircraft and aerial displays on show. I will definitely make time to return to next year's event.

Loved the pics. That guy with the big mo who was in the Soviet Ground forces must have sealed the allied victory

Great pics, Carl.
    Must have been a blast in the WACO.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Loved the pics. That guy with the big mo who was in the Soviet Ground forces must have sealed the allied victory
    When they found out I owned two Mosin-Nagants they tried to recruit me, but I had to decline as my tribe fought for the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Great pics, Carl.
    Must have been a blast in the WACO.
    The Waco was a great ride.

Thumbs up

Great pics Carl. Bet your dad had a "Blast".

What a treat Carl, thanks for sharing your day out

"He is wise who watches"

Looks like you had a great time. Thanks for the pics!

great pics! thanks for sharing!

Similar Missions

1. IPMS Thornbury Show - 5th August 2018
    By David Manley in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-11-2018, 00:22
  2. Queensland TAVAS Great War Flying Display Caboolture Airfield 21-22 April 2018
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-03-2018, 01:48
  3. Reporting for duty from the Brisbane airfield
    By knackered in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-04-2018, 04:43
  4. South England PAW (Plymouth Association of Wargamers) Annual show 2018
    By mikeemagnus in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-06-2018, 07:42
  5. Bridge Ahoy !!!