Ares Games

Thread: The Staaken has landed.

Default The Staaken has landed.

If you look at Skytrex German planes you will see there latest offering on sale.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Impressive!

petitbilbo

YAY!!!! EPIC WIN!!! Now I have my friend off my back when they would come out with one!!!

Not landed on my doormat yet
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Not landed on my doormat yet
    Nor mine, but as it only went up yesterday afternoon, I expect they are in the safe hands of the Royal Mail, so we should get them in time for Easter.
    Rob.

Has anyone who pre-ordered actually received one yet? I ask cos everytime I sit and look at the pics on here and sigh lots, she who must be obeyed and the lads start to snigger behind their hands. Me thinks they are hiding something the rotters !

Default from ronald

nice!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Nor mine, but as it only went up yesterday afternoon, I expect they are in the safe hands of the Royal Mail, so we should get them in time for Easter.
    Rob.
    which year?

yessssss mine arrived this morning ya ya ya

It arrived yesterday, so with the site down for most of the day, I had a good look at it. Seems one of the most crisp castings I have seen.
    Rob.

Would this model actually be up to handling game play on the table? I've heard some resin horror stories, but don't have any experience myself with it on the game table.

I'm afraid there is no answer to this question. As far as I know,nobody has finished building one yet. I only started mine this afternoon.
    However, you have to ask yourself the following, and should be able to answer your own question.
    1. Do you regularly destroy W.o.W. planes? This will be as robust as them if dropped or thrown at a wall.
    2. Do you store your planes in safe conditions?
    3. Are your gaming partners going to be allowed to use your plane, and if so are they the careful types?
    4. Is it better to fly a plane that may get damaged, rather than not to fly the largest winged plane in either World War?
    These are not all the questions, but may go some way to helping you make a decision, until one of us manages to test a model to destruction. It will happen one day.
    Once I have built mine ,I will do the usual write up and give a better opinion of it.
    Till then, fly safe.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by mr7q View Post
    Would this model actually be up to handling game play on the table? I've heard some resin horror stories, but don't have any experience myself with it on the game table.
    I would say 'yes', provided you've used a decent superglue and put it on a reasonably large stand. I am tempted to add "and not let anyone else use it". If you are using WoW type pegs, you are probably going to need some the size of the ones coming with the balloons.

And for those that didn't see the thread I posted before it disappeared, here's what you get for your 25 squids:
    Last edited by Guntruck; 12-27-2010 at 09:54.

You are going to need a bigger table man!
    Tony

I think you guys may have cost me some money! I'm wondering if it'd be worth making a hybrid paper/resin/metal model similar to the Reviresco Friedrichschaffen GIII. Of course, I've got a project backlog already, and too little time! 80% on a paper Caproni Ca3 (which in my opinion looks good enough to supplant a plastic model), and then 0% on the Reviresco GIII and Fiddlers Green Gotha.

And regarding the roughhousing on the game table, my planes are generally babied, but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't break into small pieces on the off (likely) chance that it fell off of its perch on its flight stand to the table. That said, I guess if it doesn't get battered in shipping, it's probably OK for the table.

Is that grid in centimeters? If so, that's a wingspan of nearly one foot!

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    Is that grid in centimeters? If so, that's a wingspan of nearly one foot!
    Yes Larry, the span is 11 1/2 inches. Just fits my foam pluck and hope tray longways on
    Rob..

Quote Originally Posted by mr7q View Post
    Regarding the roughhousing on the game table, my planes are generally babied, but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't break into small pieces on the off (likely) chance that it fell off of its perch on its flight stand to the table. That said, I guess if it doesn't get battered in shipping, it's probably OK for the table.
    You should be O.K. with that Martin. If you are only flying a foot or so up. The wings are quite flexible, and for once the struts are quite robust as well because they are using lead free pewter now so it won't bend so easily.
    Rob.

I would say 'yes', provided you've used a decent superglue and put it on a reasonably large stand. I am tempted to add "and not let anyone else use it". If you are using WoW type pegs, you are probably going to need some the size of the ones coming with the balloons.

And for those that didn't see the thread I posted before it disappeared, here's what you get for your 25 squids:
    That is going to be some serious fun to build... once I graduate to that level!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    You should be O.K. with that Martin. If you are only flying a foot or so up. The wings are quite flexible, and for once the struts are quite robust as well because they are using lead free pewter now so it won't bend so easily.
    Rob.
    Don't... Need... Another... Project!!!

Thanks for the info! Chances are there will be a Staaken headed in my direction in the near future! That thing is a monster on the table, in all aspects of the word.

An Immelmann in one of those will be impressive to watch

To save the inevitable replies, yes I know it can't do an Immelmann

To save the inevitable replies, yes I know it can't do an Immelmann
    Sure it can! One time only....
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Similar Missions

1. Staaken
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-04-2010, 14:12
  2. Zeppelin Staaken.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-03-2010, 16:45