Ares Games

Thread: Reviresco 1/144 metal WWI aircraft.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Cyrus
    Sorties Flown

Default Reviresco 1/144 metal WWI aircraft.

Has anybody had any experience with Reviresco 1/144 scale metal aircraft?
    I've seen their models on Tin-soldier.com however, none show any propellers. Just wondering if just the picture? I can't imagine aircraft with out propellers.

It is just the pictures, Cyrus, the WWI plane kits do come with propellers.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Cyrus
    Sorties Flown

Whew! Got me worried. Have you ever built one? How is the quality compared to the WOG aircraft

I have several kits, which I have not started building yet. I think that when it comes to assembling them it is better to use one of the slower drying versions of 'Super Glue' ('Crazy Glue' in the U.S.A. ?).

I have some metal models, which I bought through eBay. They are too heavy to use with the normal gimbal mounts. I am going to try larger ball bearings in recessed magnets but I also have some other ideas for mounting them.

Nice models but I would not like to drop them!

Have a look here Cyrus.
    For the pictures just click the more information prompt.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/co...9-kit-building

I have done a good few of the Reviresco models over the years plus some Skytrex/Red Eagle.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I have used their decals on a Skytrex AEG Bomber. Not an exact match but with the minimum of modification it turned out fine. Must get on and finish the second AEG which has been sitting in the 'to do' pile for three or four years now!

I have built a Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter by Reviresco.

As mentioned above, it is too heavy for the standard gimbal mounts to allow a full range of aerobatics!

The kit itself was a straightforward build, but the struts were WAY too thin and weak to support the heavy top wing, so I replaced the interplane struts with paper clip wire - that did the job nicely.

Will post pictures when I'm at my laptop.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tony
    Sorties Flown

Hi,
    I like the look of the Red Eagle planes, and it would be nice to make my own planes. But where can you get the plane cards and maneuver deck for them?

I picked up a D.VIII at Enfilade 2013, as a project, being that I thought a paper version wouldn't survive a tabletop too well. According to the owner of the company, this was not one of their best planes. However, I perservered, and produced a nice plane (IMHO). I used some D.VII decals on it, to finish off the model. How it went together can be seen here:

What's on Your Workbench for August 2013: Fokker D.VIII - Reviresco Pt 1

What's on Your Workbench for August 2013: Fokker D.VIII - Reviresco Pt 2

PS: Yes, there is a spinny prop on the model.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Rob, Tim and Mike - bravo for some excellent work.

Rob, that CIII is fantastic, and, as usual, Tim, your results are superb.
    Mike - I really like your Black Flight. I had only seen your work with cards and banners before - these pics were posted before I signed up.
    Sure wish I could get my patience (and steady hands) back.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
    Hi,
    I like the look of the Red Eagle planes, and it would be nice to make my own planes. But where can you get the plane cards and maneuver deck for them?
    Tony, there are some plane cards available in the Files section of this website. Many aircraft use the same manoeuvre decks as existing Ares models or slightly modified decks. Also in the Files section are the Mates cards. These is also a spreadsheet of data for unofficial aircraft models. It will tell you which planes use which manoeuvre decks.

Hi,
    I have been in the game for a while, and if you want (commercially produced) maneuver decks for non-Nexus or non-Ares planes, your options are these:

www.ebay.com: Wings of War - Famous Aces and Watch Your Back
    Note: Altitude rules were not published in these versions, so no climb or dive cards in these decks.
    A-D in Aces, A Damage Deck; E-H in Back, B Damage Deck.

www.ebay.com: Wings of War 3 game lot - Burning Drachens, Famous Aces, Watch Your Back
    Note: Altitude rules appear in Burning Drachens, and climb/dive cards for the two previous versions were included in this expansion. So, I'd be looking at this lot. $30-ish when originally released, so good price.
    I-J maneuver decks, A-J altitude cards; A, C and D Damage Decks.

Stands are available from Aerodrome Accessories, and include altitude dials! Link: www.aerodromeaccessories.com - Flight Stands

If you don't want Kieth's custom stands, get stands from another source, or make your own, this could be an option: How to Customize Aftermarket Airplane Stands

[Edit:] Peter [teaticket] is right. There are more options than commercially printed decks. It depends on what you want, and what you can print.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 04-09-2018 at 11:00.
    Mike

Hi,
    If you don't mind printing your own cards I have scanned all the maneuver decks. PM me your email address and what deck(s) you'd like.

Plane cards, several folks here have done some wonderful cards. Check guntruck, jager, Zoe Brain and OldGuy59's albumns for great plane cards.

If you want Nexus box sets, I have FA, WYB, BD and FoG available for 'Dromers

And a fair few Booster packs

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I picked up a D.VIII at Enfilade 2013, as a project, being that I thought a paper version wouldn't survive a tabletop too well. According to the owner of the company, this was not one of their best planes. However, I perservered, and produced a nice plane (IMHO). I used some D.VII decals on it, to finish off the model. How it went together can be seen here:

What's on Your Workbench for August 2013: Fokker D.VIII - Reviresco Pt 1

What's on Your Workbench for August 2013: Fokker D.VIII - Reviresco Pt 2

PS: Yes, there is a spinny prop on the model.
    Mike that's two very useful posts, I have one of those helping hands gizmos, never found a use for it before.

Holding while glueing looks critical, I've done this sort of thing before but I hate it. Well done with yours.

Sorry I meant to ask - have you ever done another one?

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Sorry I meant to ask - have you ever done another one?
    No. Not because I didn't want to, just time. And, of course, Ares has been putting out more painted planes than I can afford. I have done more paper planes, and intend to do more. Just that time thing with which I seem to have an issue.
    Mike

Cheers Mike - I'm completely new to this so trying to understand my options here. Cost and and more importantly availability from Ares seem to be a huge issue if you are looking to play with the planes and not especially interested in modelling per se.
    Of course when you can't buy an SE5a at all or a Camel singly there is no option but to go elsewhere and the metal kits seem to be the cheapest if maybe the most labour intensive way to go.
    I'm interested in your paper planes, I've not come across them in this scale before, but as I said it's early days for me.
    I'm still finding my way around this site so I'm sure I will come across them.
    Cheers

Cheers Mike - I'm completely new to this so trying to understand my options here. Cost and and more importantly availability from Ares seem to be a huge issue if you are looking to play with the planes and not especially interested in modelling per se.
    Of course when you can't buy an SE5a at all or a Camel singly there is no option but to go elsewhere and the metal kits seem to be the cheapest if maybe the most labour intensive way to go.
    I'm interested in your paper planes, I've not come across them in this scale before, but as I said it's early days for me.
    Cheers

Shapeways is a good option as they make just about every WWI plane you could want. In the Hobby section you can find a list 'HERE' for the available planes from Shapeways.

Cheers
    It is a big decision, for some, about how far to take the hobby. Many like the prepainted, ready-out-of-the-box miniatures. Others are modellers, and like modifying existing models.

When I started, there were Wings of War miniatures available, some for cheap, but most for exorbitant prices. More than I wanted to pay.

There is a trade-off in building your own models. You need a work space, tools, paints, decals, and more for plastic, resin, and 3D models. You need serious patience and meticulousness in building paper models. No paint, nor decals, if you know graphics programs, and can modify images.

I found a site many years ago hosted by a late paper modeller, and downloaded many of his plans. Zio Prudenzio was an awesome modeller, and provided pdfs of his plans for free. I have used his exclusively in my builds, and mods. I've even provided some mods on this forum:

Link: OldGuy59's Zio Prudenzio Adaptations Album

Link: Adaptation of a Zio Prudenzio Kittyhawk Mk III

Paper is not for everyone. I have some plastic models I have yet to build, as well as a pile of paper models at various stages of production (mostly just the 'printed' stage).

Whatever you decide, there are many on the site that will help you with the process, if the "How-to"s aren't already available here, now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	se5a-01-1.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	193.0 KB 
ID:	244871

Very nice, generic SE5a, very suitable for image manipulation.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 04-20-2018 at 10:05.
    Mike

Cheers
    Duel sets to get the base models is your best bet John, Series 1 is due for a reprint soon so you will have singles of the models then.
    Ares have never made the SE5a, that was a Nexus product (Wings of War) but it's said that they will be reprinting that series this year so your SE5a dream will come true. Balloons are also said to be coming - another product Ares has not ever produced.
    I advise you buy what you can find available now as, sure as eggs are eggs, when you really want them that won't be available !

"He is wise who watches"

Hi Dave , I have bought both the duel sets, they arrived last week and I was so impressed that I ordered 4 other models and they arrived today. I don't understand the marketing strategy I guess. I don't know of any manufacturer who doesn't supply demand. Having said that I'm not clear how these are produced, if they are printed or moulded, either way I don't understand why there is not a constant replenishment of supply, rather than on what appears to be a long cycle.
    Of course my wallet wouldn't stand a full supply chain either.

Mike thanks for those paper examples, funnily enough I've been saving them from Pinterest with a view to having a go at making one but I thought they were 1/72 scale. Having said that I didn't expect to produce anything like the quality of the ones you've done.
    I've done paper buildings 1:300 through to 1:48 but they are fairly straightforward, no compound curves or very tiny pieces, so not in the same league.

Peter thanks for the link to Shapeways, I'll have a look there because that might be the way I'll go.

Cyrus sorry I didn't mean to hijack your thread

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Arizona (Otherwise known as Hell's back porch)
    Sorties Flown

I've put together a metal & paper Friedrichschafen G.III from Reviresco.
    The wings and rear half of the fuselage are all thin cardboard pre printed. I've never built anything like it before in my life. Although I did manage to get it together, I totally messed up on one of the paper fuselage's that I really wanted to use in the build. Ended up going with a different one. It was a pain to build for me (I presume it is due to my total lack of experience with building in this medium) and it kinda came out sucky.
    I'm sure that someone with more experience would not have any of the difficulties that I had.

My take on this build may interest you Daniel.
    I too did not really fancy taking on the paper part of the model.
    Here is how I got around the problem in the " How to" thread.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/co...chshafen-G-III

Name:	DSC_0700.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	244920

And yes the Oberst even does one of his bases for this.

Rob.

That's quite an excellent build Rob.

Superb job, Rob.
    Wish I had your skills.

I could not locate a Siemens-Schuckert DIII at any retail outlet, but I did find a Reviresco on eBay sold by Noble Knights. I was reluctant, but went ahead anyway. My apologies if this is not in the correct location. I wanted to document my experience, pit falls and all plus add a bit of history.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide1.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	254350Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide2.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	254351Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide3.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	254352Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide4.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	254353Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide5.jpg 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	254354Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide6.jpg 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	254355Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide7.jpg 
Size:	197.5 KB 
ID:	254356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide8.jpg 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	254357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide9.jpg 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	254358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide10.jpg 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	254359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide11.jpg 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	254360Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide12.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	254361Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide13.jpg 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	254362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide14.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	254363Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide15.jpg 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	254364Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide16.jpg 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	254365Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide17.jpg 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	254366Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide18.jpg 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	254367
    One more photo - I used one of the kit propellers so I can either fly or display:

Name:	display.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	254915
    Last edited by Willi; 09-23-2018 at 10:01.

Great job Willi, you have more patience than me !

"He is wise who watches"

Great job William. I have a few Reviresco waiting construction. Your rigging is inspirational.

Rob, thanks for the 'how to' on the Friedrichshafen G.III. I got one and seeing the paper bits put it on the shelf. Now seeing your how to I will have to have a go at it.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Arizona (Otherwise known as Hell's back porch)
    Sorties Flown

Great Article on your Siemen's Schuckert build. This is actually one of my favorite aircraft of the period. The counter rotating rotary engines on this airplane is an engineering marvel. It's a shame that the lubricants available at the time were not sufficient to properly keep the engine lubricated. Otherwise it was a fantastic engine. Proven to be so many years later with the improved development of synthetic oils.

Great job and explanation William.
    If you take on another such and are short of decals, do ask.
    Between us we can usually find what you need.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Great job William. I have a few Reviresco waiting construction. Your rigging is inspirational.

Rob, thanks for the 'how to' on the Friedrichshafen G.III. I got one and seeing the paper bits put it on the shelf. Now seeing your how to I will have to have a go at it.
    Anything extra I can help you with on the construction just ask Pete.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Knowitall View Post
    Great Article on your Siemen's Schuckert build. This is actually one of my favorite aircraft of the period. The counter rotating rotary engines on this airplane is an engineering marvel. It's a shame that the lubricants available at the time were not sufficient to properly keep the engine lubricated. Otherwise it was a fantastic engine. Proven to be so many years later with the improved development of synthetic oils.
    Yes, I found that very interesting. I am looking for an "O" maneuver deck. I have seen the cards and notice that besides good speed it could turn sharply in either direction.

A great piece of modelling, William! Well done!

Super build, Willi!

That rigging is much more ambitious than anything I have attempted.

I might have a spare 'O' deck kicking around...............I'll have a look.

Similar Missions

1. Metal and Resin aircraft list
    By pbhawkin in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-14-2023, 09:42
  2. Received a new metal.
    By CappyTom in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 11:30
  3. metal body??????
    By Lt Blackwater in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4