Ares Games

Thread: OTTBE Mission 20 - Albert to Bapaume - 23rd August 1918

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Default OTTBE Mission 20 - Albert to Bapaume - 23rd August 1918

August 20, 1918 - The French 10th Army takes 8,000 prisoners at Noyon and captures the Aisne Heights.

Battle of Albert (21–23 August 1918) was the third battle by that name fought during World War I, following the First Battle of Albert and the Second Battle of Albert, with each of the series of three being fought roughly two years apart.[1] This smaller third battle was significant in that it was the opening push that would lead to the Second Battle of the Somme and involved the Australian Corps. This attack opened the advance, with the main attack being launched by the Third Army along with support from the Fourth Army.[2] The Second Battle of Bapaume, from 25 August to 3 September, was a continuation of this battle.[3]

The attacks developed into an advance, which pushed the German 2nd Army back along a 50-mile (80 km) front line. On 22 August, the 18th (Eastern) Division took Albert, with the British and Americans advancing on Arras.[2] On 29 August, during the Second Battle of Bapaume, the town of Bapaume fell into New Zealand hands. This resulted in an advance by the Australian Corps, who crossed the Somme River on 31 August and broke the German lines during the Battle of Mont St. Quentin.[2] The Westheer (German armies on the Western Front) was pushed back to the Hindenburg Line, from which they had launched their spring offensive.[citation needed]

The second battle began on 21 August with the opening of the Second Battle of Bapaume to the north of the river itself. That developed into an advance which pushed the German Second Army back over a 55 kilometre front, from south of Douai to La Fère, south of Saint-Quentin, Aisne. Albert was captured on 22 August. On 26 August, the British First Army widened the attack by another twelve kilometres, sometimes called the Second Battle of Arras.[2] Bapaume fell on 29 August. The Australian Corps crossed the Somme River on the night of 31 August, and broke the German lines at the Battle of Mont St. Quentin and the Battle of Péronne. The British Fourth Army's commander, General Henry Rawlinson, described the Australian advances of 31 August – 4 September as the greatest military achievement of the war.[3]

The Bulldogs are tasked with providing fire support as the front advances.
    The Eagles are tasked with either providing counter battery fire on the advancing Entente, or they can fly as an attack wing.

Bulldogs:
    4 Scouts
    1 Two Seater

Eagles:
    Attack Wing:
    4 Scouts

Counter Battery
    3 Scouts
    1 Two Seater

Deployment

Using the pictures below set your board up in the following manner.
    At least 2 mats or the area covered by two mats. Make a defined front about halfway across the mats, this will give you an idea of Friendly Territory or Enemy Territory.

You need a deck of playing cards. Divide the Hearts, Clubs, Diamonds, and Spades. Using one suit for the Entente and one for the Central Powers start at the short side edge opposite your position and go around clockwise placing your cards either as example A or B.
    Then draw 3 cards for the Entente, 1 for each group of two scouts and 1 for the Two Seater.
    Draw 2 cards for each pair of Central Powers planes.
    These will be your starting positions.
    Decide which plane or groups of planes go with each card as you draw.
    All planes positioned on the long side of the board will face the enemy side. All planes positioned on the short side of the board will start facing the opposite side.

All planes come on on the same turn.

In example C and D you can see examples of placement cards drawn.
    Example A
    Attachment 242271

Example B
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180227_160432.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	242272

Example C
    Attachment 242273

Example D
    Attachment 242274

If by some chance you end up with opposing forces opposite each other to start move the Enemy position to the opposite side of the board.

Special Notes
    Central Powers
    Resources are dwindling.
    No more than 2 planes of any one type.
    Ammunition Limitations 50 points to be divided between your planes. 1 shot at close range or long range equals 1 ammo point.
    Lubricants are in short supply, any Engine hit head home

Two Seaters
    Make a random deck from your planes maneuver deck with the following cards,
    2 Straight
    1 Stall
    1 Long Left and Long Right
    1 Short Left and Short Right
    1 Left side slip and right side slip
    Mix your cards and draw 3 per turn.
    Your Artillery spotting can be done on Straights or Stalls. Roll a D6 to see if you hit. You need a 5 or 6 to hit what is below you.

NOTE:

Clarification
    Eagles Commanders you have the choice of either doing the Attack Wing Miision or the Counter Battery Mission.
    Entente Commanders you have the choice of either going up against the Attack Wing Mission or the Counter Battery Mission.
    This is so you can use what pilots are available.

Victory Points
    Entente
    1 point per artillery hit
    2 points per CP plane leaving early
    4 points per CP plane shot down

Central Powers
    1 point per artillery hit
    2 points per Entente plane leaving early
    4 points per Entente plane shot down
    Last edited by Setarius; 03-15-2018 at 20:39. Reason: Title adjust

Very interesting random set up options. This one will most likely be quite different for each of us. Too bad I won't be able to get to it until after Cold Wars, so later in the month for me.

Dale

I am confused regarding the special movement deck.

Two Seaters
    Make a random deck from your planes maneuver deck with the following cards,
    2 Straight
    1 Stall
    1 Long Left and Long Right
    1 Short Left and Short Right
    1 Left side slip and right side slip
    The common Entente 2-Seaters use the H, K, S or V Deck

What constitutes a Short Left or Short Right ?
    They only have one type of turn.

Question

Dale although I wont be able to fly this one until the very end of March or early April as I have 2 missions lined up waiting to get the leg out of the Moonboot I am confused about how the Cards drawn for the Aircraft placement refer to those placed around the Table.
    There does not seem to be a relationship either matching card or suit in the first example. I do see how it works in example 2 & 3.
    Can you please explain further.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    ...I am confused about how the Cards drawn for the Aircraft placement refer to those placed around the Table.
    There does not seem to be a relationship either matching card or suit in the first example. I do see how it works in example 2 & 3.
    Can you please explain further.
    If you look at the third and fourth pics Baz you will see that Dale drew from the Diamonds suit and placed them on the table adjacent to the matching value heart cards placed around the edge, likewise with the clubs & spades on the other mat - the models start from the location of the first placed cards on the mat edge (shown in first two pics)

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Dale, I am confused regarding the special movement deck. The common Entente 2-Seaters use the H, K, S or V Deck. What constitutes a Short Left or Short Right ? They only have one type of turn.
    I think Dale has covered all the bases here Pete, including the CP - The Hannover uses the W deck & has 90 turns left & right - I take it that is what he means by short left & right, obviously if the type doesn't have them it can't use them.
    Last edited by flash; 03-01-2018 at 06:28.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Good stuff Dale, should we set a time/game turn limit or keep going until nature takes its course ?!

I should be able to set this up & get started on it if storm Emma has her way.
    Last edited by flash; 03-01-2018 at 04:06.

Nice mission Dale. Like it Looking forward to having a crack at this next week.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Nice mission Dale. Like it Looking forward to having a crack at this next week.
    Be careful in the snow down there Mike - just seen the forecast warning red - looks like storm Emma is heading you way with a hat full for you Devonians.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I think Dale has covered all the bases here Pete, including the CP - The Hannover uses the W deck & has 90 turns left & right - I take it that is what he means by short left & right, obviously if the type doesn't have them it can't use them.
    I did notice the Hannover for Central - likely the Eagles choice for this one.
    I also wondered about mission length. I guess my guys will fly until they rack up more points than the Brits.
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 03-01-2018 at 08:36. Reason: Clarification

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

As far as the set up goes it is more about the numbers on the cards than the suit of cards. In Example C The 2, 7, 9 are the starting locations for the Entente. In Example D The 2 and the King are the starting positions for the CP.

As far as turn length goes, you can either set a specified number of turns say, 15 or you can go for Air Superiority. The CP will be limited by the amount of ammo they have so they are going to have to leave when they run dry. 1 shot from Long range or Close range equals 1 ammo point.

I was not looking at my maneuver decks when I came up with it. So, if you don't have a plane that meets these qualifications then substitute 2 other cards so you have a total of 9 maneuver cards.
    Last edited by Setarius; 03-01-2018 at 07:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    As far as the set up goes it is more about the numbers on the cards than the suit of cards. In Example C The 2, 7, 9 are the starting locations for the Entente. In Example D The 2 and the King are the starting positions.

As far as turn length goes, you can either set a specified number of turns say, 15 or you can go for Air Superiority. The CP will be limited by the amount of ammo they have so they are going to have to leave when they run dry. 1 shot from Long range or Close range equals 1 ammo point.

I was not looking at my maneuver decks when I came up with it. So, if you don't have a plane that meets these qualifications then substitute 2 other cards so you have a total of 9 maneuver cards.
    If subbing cards I assume they are not straight or stall to keep the ratio the same?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    If subbing cards I assume they are not straight or stall to keep the ratio the same?
    Yes. Originally I had a Climb and Dive in the mix but changed it to the turns.

I think I will use 2 of each turn.
    I think that makes it the same as what I set for last month’s mission.

Just curious, why is it that the Central Power's Counter Battery only has three scouts? Shouldn't they, if they choose to fly the counter battery, have the same flight as the Entente?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    Just curious, why is it that the Central Power's Counter Battery only has three scouts? Shouldn't they, if they choose to fly the counter battery, have the same flight as the Entente?
    Probably the same reason as my mission 19 last month - attrition was taking its toll on the German war machine.
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 03-01-2018 at 21:41.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    2 reasons for the lack of CP craft.
    1) Castor Oil, the lubricant used in the engines has been in short to scarce supply for a couple of months now. The CP Jastas are having to scrounge the wreckage of both Entente and CP craft to get any of the oil, which once found has to be filtered before it can be used.

2) With the bombing raids conducted by the Entente, parts and raw materials are in short supply.

If you also look at the Note you will see that ammunition for the CP has been limited to 50 shots divided between the 4 planes. This also reflects a dwindling supply of materials available to the CP.

The Entente have no such limits as they are receiving supplies for War needs from the U.S.

In my planning I had thought about limiting the CP to 3 total planes and 30 shots, but I decided to give them a chance in the Attack Wing version. The Counter Battery will be more difficult, but with luck I feel it is winable.

And looking at reports of future battles, in one the Entente put more than 1400 planes in the air compared to just over 600 for the CP.
    Last edited by Setarius; 03-01-2018 at 14:22.

Thank you for the replies.

Well into this now & hope to be finished over the weekend if I can, looking for six successful 'shoots' before bugging out but not sure my chaps will make it

Holy **** Another mission and I am 2 down already. Might be a late start on this one Dalew but it looks a cracker.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Well into this now & hope to be finished over the weekend if I can, looking for six successful 'shoots' before bugging out but not sure my chaps will make it
    I am as well. The ammo limitation is having an effect one one of my aces ...

... if her survives to take the last couple of shots!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Excellent Pete and Dave. I hope it is giving you a feel of the frustration the CP pilots were going through at this time.
    Good Luck to your Ace Pete.

Great mission Dale, I will add that to the FIVE I am already behind! Once I have caught up reporting my WW2 Polish campaign missions this week there will be a maximum effort on OTT.

All over bar shoutin'
    (Actually it was done around 4:00pm our time but we were out for dinner.)

AAR will be posted later in the week.

WoW Looks like there is trouble ahead Just about to set up for this one. Wish me luck

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Mine's done. Figuring out the Butcher's Bill and need to put a story to it. Victory Points I think will be close.

OK Done and dusted - AAR to write now - Close this one - very close One of my CP pilots just made ace status I believe I trust they will be celebrating in their mess!!!!!

Smile

OK Done and dusted - AAR to write now - Close this one - very close One of my CP pilots just made ace status I believe I trust they will be celebrating in their mess!!!!!
    Hope you can pull a victory for the Doggies Mike. We have not been travelling too well in this Mission.

Hope you can pull a victory for the Doggies Mike. We have not been travelling too well in this Mission.
    It is very marginal Baz - lost my two seater in the first attack

It may be a day or two before I get to write this one up though as I have "things" to sort first and sorry I haven't yet replied to those who have already completed, but I want to write my AAR first.

Smile

It is very marginal Baz - lost my two seater in the first attack

Snipped***************************************************
    That has happened to me on a few occasions too, Mike.
    Know how it feels!

Only 4 months late but will start this week!!!!

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Mission 20 set up and ready to go, hopefully I can knock it off and report by the weekend.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT BE Mission 19 - 7th August 1918
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-09-2018, 03:52
  2. BRF The Final Months - Mission 10: The Breakthrough! 25th August 1918
    By Nightbomber in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-12-2014, 12:13
  3. AAR Mission 10: BreakthroughBreakthrough - 25th August 1918 - by Nightbomber
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-10-2014, 07:38
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-21-2013, 21:11
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-11-2013, 16:58