Ares Games

Thread: TAVAS Great War Flying Display Caboolture Airfield 21-22 April 2018

Default TAVAS Great War Flying Display Caboolture Airfield 21-22 April 2018

Hello Queensland players,

Just a head up regarding the 2018 Great War Flying Display being conducted at the Caboolture Airfield on Saturday and Sunday 21-22 April 2018 (webpage here - http://www.gwfd.tavas.com.au)

Name:  TAVAS GWFD 2018.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  87.9 KB

From the webpage blurb:

EXACTLY 100 YEARS after the death of the Red Baron, join a thrilling tribute to all Knights of the Skies as TAVAS showcases the only collection of flying Great War aircraft types in Australia – plus more from WW2, Korea, Vietnam and the modern day – over one unique family weekend. The Australian Vintage Aviation Society (TAVAS) exists to raise awareness of the significant part Australians played in the first air war and how that developed our aviation industry after WW1. This event will also highlight the centenary of Australian Military airmen and their involvement in every major conflict over the last 100 years. Come and salute those early aviators with us, along with all those who flew in all past wars.

COME AND ENJOY:

• Australia's only collection of accurate, flying WW1 replicas and reproductions

• Warbirds from WW2 to Vietnam

• Modern Australian Defence Force aircraft

• Numerous other antique and modern aircraft

• Free WW1 fighter flight simulator experience

• Joy flights, static displays, vehicles and re-enactors

• Have your photo taken in an ex jet fighter cockpit

• A great choice of food and drink vendors

• Free car parking on the airfield

Gates are open from 0900-1500hrs, cost is $30 on the day

Pre-Purchase Tickets info below:
    • Adult – from $25 (Children under 16 – FREE, MUST be accompanied by an adult at all times at the event).
    • Fly-In visitors – FREE
    PLUS all pre-purchased tickets include:
    - special discount
    - express entry lane
    - 2 for 1 TAVAS Museum entry
    - BONUS Poster (TAVAS WW1 aircraft)
    - FREE download of The Red Battle Flyer by Manfred von Richthofen.

AIRCRAFT ON SHOW IN 2018
    The rare and unique aircraft you can expect to see include:
    PRE WORLD WAR 1 - 1901 Whitehead No.21 (static), 1909 Johnson Monoplane*, 1909 Demoiselle, 1910 Farman III
    WORLD WAR 1 - Fokker E.III Eindecker, Sopwith Triplane, Nieuport 24, SE5a, Fokker Dr.I Triplane, Bristol F2b Fighter, Fokker DVII* and Fokker D.VIII
    This is the ONLY collection of flying WW1 type aircraft in Australia!
    BETWEEN THE WARS - Hawker Demon*
    OTHER VINTAGE AIRCRAFT - 1929 Fleet, C-140, C-195, 1928-designed Pietenpol Aircamper, DH Drover*
    WORLD WAR 2 - Bristol Beaufort*, Wirraway, SNJ
    KOREAN WAR - Australian-built P-51D Mustang (CA-18)
    VIETNAM WAR - Mig 17 jet fighter (static), DHC-4 Caribou (static), Cessna O-1 BirdDog
    OTHER TYPES (Used by various military forces) - DH Devon, DH Tiger Moth, Auster, Yak 52, T-34 Mentor, T-28 Trojan, DHC-1 Chipmunk
    *Denotes aircraft not yet flying, still under restoration/construction
    Many of these aircraft reside at Caboolture Airfield, others will be flying in for the event.
    All aircraft availability and flying is dependent on serviceability and weather on the day.

I will be there again this year, post a reply if you are going and we can try to meet up (or even car pool - benefits of having a 7 seater!).

Just saw on Facebook today a RAAF F/A 18 Super Hornet is doing a fly past at the Caboolture TAVAS event - 1 SQN F/A-18F Super Hornet will be at TAVAS Great War Flying Display 21 & 22 April. We have something truly unique in store for this aircraft, so stay tuned. Event details and ticket sales at www.gwfd.tavas.com.au

Smile

Having visited TAVAS's hangar with you some years back I would really love to be able to attend this display but it is just not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Having visited TAVAS's hangar with you some years back I would really love to be able to attend this display but it is just not possible.
    That would be great mate, but I suppose you will just have to settle for a blog post or two.

I took quite a few videos last year but never got around to posting them, this time around I'll upload to YouTube for your viewing pleasure.

We will look forward to watching your videos, Carl.

Another shout out to any southeast QLD or northern NSW based members regarding the TAVAS Great War Flying display on this coming weekend 21-22 April 2018 at Caboolture airfield.

Name:  TAVAS GWFD 2018 (2).jpg
Views: 297
Size:  187.1 KB

I will be there on Saturday 21 April commemorating the 100th anniversary of the death of Manfred von Richthofen.

View from the cockpit of TAVAS' red Fokker Dr.I - https://www.facebook.com/airshows/vi...9286528419663/

Name:  Triplane cockpit.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  73.5 KB

Same aircraft Barry, my father, my son and I checked out during our visit to the TAVAS hangar in 2013.

Name:  IMG_3501.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  133.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3486.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  175.2 KB

TAVAS have published the program for their Great War Flying Display this weekend.

Name:  GWFD%20Program.jpg.opt790x799o0,0s790x799.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  93.9 KB

Have a great time at TAVAS this weekend, Carl!

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Have a great time at TAVAS this weekend, Carl!
    Thanks Dave. The darned weather is a bit threatening. Overcast will help with the photography but fingers crossed the rain stays away.

The weather was kind on the weekend and the TAVAS Great War Flying Display last weekend went ahead as planned. The cloudy skies made a good backdrop for photography.

Name:  Grounds.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  120.0 KB

There were many more patrons at the event this year, which caused a few headaches early on the first day as volunteers and security struggled to get thousands of people through the gates. But it was good to see the event well attended. I took my Dad (Ray) who has had some knee issues of late but would not pass up the opportunity to see an airshow.

Name:  Dad.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  112.1 KB

Unlike the TAVAS show last year the 2018 event did not allow access to the museums at the airfield but focussed on the flying aircraft and some static aircraft displays on the flight line. The stars of the show were the WW1 aircraft.

Name:  Fokker D.VIII.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  217.4 KB

The Fokker D.VIII was on the field but did not get up due to windy conditions. It was a bit disappointing not to see her fly, but the guys from TAVAS did run up the rotary engine.

Name:  E.III 1.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  182.4 KB

The 'Flying Razor' from the business end.

Name:  E.III 2.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  212.4 KB

The Fokker E.III was out but again the windy conditions prevented the old kite from getting airborne. As one of the TAVAS pilots told me, "You fly the Eindecker right on dawn or right on dusk when there is not a breath of wind".

Name:  Henri Farman.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  233.1 KB

Right beside the Eindecker was a Henri Farman biplane, one of the types that provided 'Fokker Fodder' back in 1915. One day I hope they can get both types up for a dogfight sequence.

Name:  F2B 1.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  92.6 KB

The Bristol F2B was flown several times over the course of the weekend. The Brisfit is one of my father's favourite WW1 designs.

Name:  WW1 aircraft 1.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  130.0 KB

A line up featuring a Fokker Dr.I, a Nieuport 24 and a Sopwith Triplane.

Name:  IMG_1009.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  198.8 KB

The Fokker in the colours of Leutnant Jacobs' machine May 1918 and the Nieuport are TAVAS machines, purchased just this year.

Name:  Tripehound.JPG
Views: 208
Size:  146.2 KB

The Sopwith Triplane is a 7/8 sized replica visiting Caboolture for the event.

Name:  IMG_0943.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  203.8 KB

Another 7/8 scale replica was the Nieuport 11 Bebe which got into the air on Saturday.

That's all I have time to post at the moment, but I will upload more stills over the following days. I took more video this year and will upload to Youtube once I edit the footage.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the great pics Carl!
    Rep Inbound.

Fantastic pictures Carl!

Many thanks for posting them.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Thanks for the great pics Carl!
    Rep Inbound.
    Thanks Barry, it was a good show. I was hoping to see the SE5a again this year but my enquiries revealed some bad news. One of the owners learning to fly the SE ground looped on landing and the aircraft is no longer airworthy . They were considering spending the money to make it flyable but instead decided to purchase some new aircraft. It is now suspended from the ceiling of the TAVAS hangar as a static display piece.

Name:  DSC_1015.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  154.4 KB

The Alberry SE5a in happier times.

Thank you for the great photographs, Carl! It sounds like you had a good time.

Here are a few more photos from the weekend.

Name:  Texan.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  182.5 KB

USN SNJ (USAAF designation AT-6 Texan).

Name:  IMG_1021.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  174.1 KB

P-51 Mustang in RAAF Korean War colours. The 'Stang did not go up on the weekend due to a technical 'gremlin'.

Name:  Eindecker.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  179.4 KB

Another view of the Fokker E.III.

Name:  Brisfit.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  225.5 KB

The Bristol F.2B Fighter and Jacobs' Fokker Dr.1.

Name:  Fokker Dr.1.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  217.0 KB

And of course the famous red Fokker Dreidecker just back from flying the tribute to Manfred von Richthofen on the 100th anniversary of his death.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 05-03-2018 at 04:33.

Thanks Carl. much appreciated.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 05-03-2018 at 01:55.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Massachusetts HAVOC XXXIV 6-8 April 2018
    By Teaticket in forum US Wing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-14-2018, 19:53
  2. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 03-12-2018, 17:57
  3. Great pic of NZ RE 8 flying at sunset.
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-15-2014, 15:56
  4. Great War Display Team at Shoreham
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-01-2013, 23:48
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-23-2013, 21:20