Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi Pilot Wounded

Default Multi Pilot Wounded

What do you do when a pilot in a multi pilot airplanes gets hit?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Future Pilot; 02-26-2018 at 10:19.

i keep an 8 sided dice (because the largest crew compliment in game so far is 7) in my wog gaming bag and divide appropriately per number of crew.

A B-17 Flying Fortress could carry up to 10 crew members, so perhaps you need a 10-sided die.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    A B-17 Flying Fortress could carry up to 10 crew members, so perhaps you need a 10-sided die.

only ever played one once so it didnt occur to me. usually only play wgf. and formation lead ships often carried an extra navigator so i better grab a 12 sider!

This shouldn't be difficult.

The Rules and Accessories Pack contains a rule book and chits with which to randomly select who gets hit when drawing the 'Crew Wounded' special damage.

Why not use them?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    This shouldn't be difficult.

The Rules and Accessories Pack contains a rule book and chits with which to randomly select who gets hit when drawing the 'Crew Wounded' special damage.

Why not use them?

for me its just easier to grab a dice than dig out the requisite number of counters and find a receptacle to draw them from.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    for me its just easier to grab a dice than dig out the requisite number of counters and find a receptacle to draw them from.
    NO DICE!

In the rules, if a pilot gets hit twice, he is incapacitated. Which means, normally, the plane goes down. In planes with two pilots, it takes up to four 'Crew Wound' special damage draws to take out the plane.

There are new skill cards that allow an 'Emergency Pilot' to take the controls, and keep the plane in the air.

There could be an option for this, if all the players agree before hand? It would require, at least, one other uninjured crew to take over the position, and that new pilot would only have one wound before being incapacitated.
    Mike

For my WWS set, I started using these for my chits:

Ziploc.com - Containers - Extra Small Square

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ziploc_SquareExtraSmall_hero_naked_2X.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	242074
    Dimensions: 4oz, 3-1/8" x 3-1/16" x 2-1/16" (118mL)

I actually managed to get some of these with different colored lids (red and orange), somewhere. I have an extra few in my kit for just these occasions.
    Mike

With a multi-crew aircraft as Old Guy mentioned there are chits to govern the results of crew hits. These chits allow more than one crew member to be hit in one burst, making the crew special damage particularly powerful when engaging bombers.

NO DICE!

In the rules, if a pilot gets hit twice, he is incapacitated. Which means, normally, the plane goes down. In planes with two pilots, it takes up to four 'Crew Wound' special damage draws to take out the plane.

There are new skill cards that allow an 'Emergency Pilot' to take the controls, and keep the plane in the air.

There could be an option for this, if all the players agree before hand? It would require, at least, one other uninjured crew to take over the position, and that new pilot would only have one wound before being incapacitated.

99.9% of the time i agree with you as dice hate me. but this one time i just find using a dice far easier.

yes that would make a perfect house rule. our group uses a house rule that all crew members take 2 wounds to incapacitate. it just didnt seem logical that non pilots were less hearty than pilots. especially in light of the fact that for german ww1 multi seat aircraft the aircraft commander was often an observer or bombardier.

i have similar boxes that i got at the local dept store for most of my counters that fit nearly perfectly in the gaming bag i carry my non mini wog stuff in. for my wgs damaged tokens i have some small dicebags from q-workshop with usa, uk, german and russia logos on that i stenciled.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    99.9% of the time i agree with you as dice hate me. but this one time i just find using a dice far easier...
    Easier than faffing around with tokens I agree Phil, to use the Expanded Crew Damage optional rule you can use a D6 to determine the number of casualties then your D8/10/12 (!) to determine who's hit.

"He is wise who watches"

Ok, so I have to politely ask, what’s up with the aversion to dice?

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    Sshh....The game doesn't use them - don't mention it again... !

"He is wise who watches"

With hand covering mouth, softly... "Joe, around here 'Dice' is a four letter word".

I'll try using a ten sided thing that we are not supposed to talk about.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Perhpas a new name is in order? A more politically correct term that is not so offensive. Bones maybe? Cubes?

Lets call them cubes. All in favor post aye, all opposed post nay.
    Last edited by Future Pilot; 02-26-2018 at 11:33.

The whole ethos of the game as envisaged by Andrea was to escape the curse of death by a thousand dice. In most situations and with a bit of initative and thinking outside the cube you can find an alternative to them.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    ... thinking outside the cube...
    Rob.
    If Rob says cube, cube it is!

Alright no one post what you want to call cubes.

Many here have no aversion to dice, and they can be discussed in a civil manner.
    As Rob said, the game was design to be played without them, and most if not all play that way. The card/chit damage system makes book keeping easier though it alters the odds as the deck/bag becomes depleted.
    I have seen many a player wince when realizing that the deck is half gone or more, and no BOOM! card has been drawn yet
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Well, there are problems with using multifaceted randomization devices, besides the fact that the game design has done its best to eliminate them. In the case of air crew, the chit system allows you to remove postions that have already been incapacitated, so they can't randomly come up again. For this, you have to compensate by altering the outcome on the randomization device, or substituting different multifaceted randomization devices.

I don't disagree that, at times, it is quicker and easier, to forgo the chits. However, it breaks the design of the game.

Therefore, they are, at some tables, shunned. Other tables, the individual suggesting their use is ejected from the premises with force and malice. Hard spots and rough terrain are especially chosen as targets for the flailing body.
    Mike

Does it take two pilot wounded to make the B-17 have to move and then plan their manuever before the other players?

Quote Originally Posted by Future Pilot View Post
    Does it take two pilot wounded to make the B-17 have to move and then plan their manuever before the other players?
    Realistically, a B-17 isn't going to be maneuvering a great deal anyway. I don't recall a rule on it; you could house rule that if the pilot and copilot each =have a wound, or if one is dead, then yes, you plot before the non-wounded players.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Many here have no aversion to dice, and they can be discussed in a civil manner.
    Karl

I don't disagree that, at times, it is quicker and easier, to forgo the chits. However, it breaks the design of the game.

Therefore, they are, at some tables, shunned. Other tables, the individual suggesting their use is ejected from the premises with force and malice. Hard spots and rough terrain are especially chosen as targets for the flailing body.
    Hmmm... OK. Be careful with which group you play?

Note: Usually, there is grace bestowed on a novice at my table for suggesting using anything other than game designed options. This comes from my aversion to X-Wing and W40k, or other games where multifaceted randomization devices predominate.

And the argument that the odds change with every card/chit drawn, which supposedly doesn't happen with other options, doesn't hold at my table. The game is designed that way, and the suspense of that Boom Card/Chit turning up becoming more, and more, likely as the bag/deck diminishes is just part of the suspense. Not realistic, really. But suspenseful!

Mixing that Boom Card/Chit back into the smaller bag/deck from which the remaining players must draw? Even more suspense!

PS: For big games, with lots of planes and players, Pilot Wound special damage chits are recorded, and mixed back into the bag/deck. It is too easy for the two Pilot Wound special damages to get separately applied to planes that will now never draw that second wound. Others use multiple sets of chits when more than four planes are on the table to compensate for this, too.
    Mike

Realistically, a B-17 isn't going to be maneuvering a great deal anyway. I don't recall a rule on it; you could house rule that if the pilot and copilot each =have a wound, or if one is dead, then yes, you plot before the non-wounded players.
    Karl
    There are planes where there are two pilots indicated on the management card. However, there are other planes where not all the crew is represented on the card, only "game functional' crew. "Game functional" crew are pilots, bombardiers and gunners (depending on the mission). For the Short Sunderlands, which could have crews of 11-13, not all the crew could man the positions. There were spares and back-up crew for the long missions. Also, there were cross-trained crew, even some Air Crew Captains that had people take over other positions while on long flights, just for crew relief and 'in case of emergencies'. Flying straight and level isn't too difficult. Take-off and landings are another thing entirely, but depending on the scenario, the plane could keep flying with reduced crew. I think this is where the "Emergency Pilot" skill card (WGF?) comes in to play.
    Mike

Wow, you guys are harsh up in the Great White North! Remind to NEVER bring up cubliar multifaceted randomization devices when I vacation there again!

There are planes where there are two pilots indicated on the management card. However, there are other planes where not all the crew is represented on the card, only "game functional' crew. "Game functional" crew are pilots, bombardiers and gunners (depending on the mission). For the Short Sunderlands, which could have crews of 11-13, not all the crew could man the positions. There were spares and back-up crew for the long missions. Also, there were cross-trained crew, even some Air Crew Captains that had people take over other positions while on long flights, just for crew relief and 'in case of emergencies'. Flying straight and level isn't too difficult. Take-off and landings are another thing entirely, but depending on the scenario, the plane could keep flying with reduced crew. I think this is where the "Emergency Pilot" skill card (WGF?) comes in to play.
    Making this card was a nightmare: OldGuy59's WWII Seaplanes Album - Sunderland Mk I Management Card

For how the Sunderland used to do bomb runs, you can see how the bomb racks were loaded and pushed out under the wings on this page (Images 3 and 4):
    http://www.airpowerworld.info/other-...lying-boat.htm

This plane needs lots of special rules to put on the table, depending on the scenario. I had help and guidance from the game designer on this one.

Wow, you guys are harsh up in the Great White North! Remind to NEVER bring up cubliar multifaceted randomization devices when I vacation there again!
    It's just me. We are not all that bad. Some of my fellow players have been known to restrain me, when I start raving.
    Mike

For how the Sunderland used to do bomb runs, you can see how the bomb racks were loaded and pushed out under the wings on this page (Images 3 and 4):
    http://www.airpowerworld.info/other-...lying-boat.htm
    Dang, roll out bomb racks. Now that's just too cool

It's just me. We are not all that bad. Some of my fellow players have been known to restrain me, when I start raving.
    And we admire you restraint here, Mike.
    Karl

Dang, roll out bomb racks. Now that's just too cool

And we admire you restraint here, Mike.
    Karl
    Who says 'internal weapons bays' are new things? The Sunderland was, at least, one, prior to high speed aerodynamics and parasitic drag started causing combat range issues. The Avro Arrow also used them, with the latest being the F-22.

In the case of the Sunderland, with an amphibious hull, the internal stores thing wasn't about speed, but waterproofing.
    Mike

they hate me. my dice rolls suck. for instance in one d&d game the dm said "how low can you roll" referring to a low percentage chance of beneficial occurrence. for my 2 characters i rolled a something like a 93 and 98.

Perhpas a new name is in order? A more politically correct term that is not so offensive. Bones maybe? Cubes?

we can call them anything else, my rolls will still suck

Smile

All us OTT Solo campaign pilots have to use D8 (or D6 for some) for our AI charts plus for the survival rolls at Missions end.

Much better than having to throw dozens of "Dice" in 40K all the time!

OK. We've so hi-jacked this thread. Sorry, Daniel.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    All us OTT Solo campaign pilots have to use D8 (or D6 for some) for our AI charts plus for the survival rolls at Missions end.

OMG! Why did Joaquim [Blackronin] come up with the Universal Diceless Solo Deck system?

WGF version: Second Epiphany - The Universal Diceless Solo Deck
    Downloads:
    WWI Universal Diceless Solo Deck - Rules
    WWI Universal Diceless Solo Deck - Closing -1
    WWI Universal Diceless Solo Deck - Closing +1
    WWI Universal Diceless Solo Deck - Moving Away

And because this is a WWII thread:

Epiphany!!! WWII Diceless Universal Solo Chart
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=2032
    Mike

... OMG! Why did Joaquim [Blackronin] come up with the Universal Diceless Solo Deck system?
    I'm not sure Mike, using dice is much quicker !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I'm not sure Mike, using [multifaceted randomization devices] is much quicker !
    Dave...

Being that we won't likely ever meet across anything but a virtual table anytime soon, it's also unlikely that you'd be introduced to the pile of sledge-hammered brick from an old BBQ pit in my back yard.

So, I'll have to strike you from my Christmas Card List. Pretty feeble threat, I know. But, there is an entire continent and an ocean between us. That might, I say might, have had something to do with your comment being posted.

Could I also add, "Bad Troll!"
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post

im more than happy to throw a mass of 40k dice.............right into "file 13'!!!!!!!

Dave...Being that we won't likely ever meet across anything but a virtual table anytime soon...
    Last edited by flash; 02-28-2018 at 00:31.

"He is wise who watches"

Well, there are problems with using multifaceted randomization devices, besides the fact that the game design has done its best to eliminate them. In the case of air crew, the chit system allows you to remove postions that have already been incapacitated, so they can't randomly come up again. For this, you have to compensate by altering the outcome on the randomization device, or substituting different multifaceted randomization devices.

Dave...

Being that we won't likely ever meet across anything but a virtual table anytime soon, it's also unlikely that you'd be introduced to the pile of sledge-hammered brick from an old BBQ pit in my back yard.

So, I'll have to strike you from my Christmas Card List. Pretty feeble threat, I know. But, there is an entire continent and an ocean between us. That might, I say might, have had something to do with your comment being posted.

Dave...

It's not fun, if someone has to explain their "threats". Was I that obscure? Or were the posts too spread apart?

PS: Your tossing the 'dice' comment at me I took to be a good tug of my leg. However, I was bad, perhaps worse, and threw the 'troll' label at you. If you are not familiar with the expression "troll', perhaps a read through this would be enlightening: www.lifewire.com - What is Internet Trolling

I actually don't think you were as bad as the article suggests.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 02-28-2018 at 00:33.
    Mike

Dave...

It's not fun, if someone has to explain their "threats". Was I that obscure? Or were the posts too spread apart?

PS: Your tossing the 'dice' comment at me I took to be a good tug of my leg. However, I was bad, perhaps worse, and threw the 'troll' label at you. If you are not familiar with the expression "troll', perhaps a read through this would be enlightening: www.lifewire.com - What is Internet Trolling

I actually don't think you were as bad as the article suggests.
    Darn Interweb! Tone just doesn't come across in text.

I'm really not that tied up about the 'multifaceted randomization devices'. Really. Every-one can play this game the way they want. Wounded Pilots and Crew can be house-ruled the way that works for the players at the time, as long as it is consistent, and everyone agrees. The WoG RAPs have means of choosing how many and which positions will take wounds in multi-crewed planes, but they do tend to slow things down, if you aren't prepared (and perhaps even if you are).

And there isn't a pile of broken bricks in the back yard. SWMBO made me clean them up.
    Mike

It's alright.

I already got my answer.

I am shipping multiple orders of dried frog pills to all and sundry even as we speak.
    Kyte.

Since this discussion specifically involves the game chat pieces, could you call this thread a........

.......Chit Chat......????

You’re Welcome! {Bows}
    “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror!” Gregory “Pappy” Boyington, USMC”

Dave...

Darn Interweb! Tone just doesn't come across in text.

I'm really not that tied up about the 'multifaceted randomization devices'. Really. Every-one can play this game the way they want. Wounded Pilots and Crew can be house-ruled the way that works for the players at the time, as long as it is consistent, and everyone agrees. The WoG RAPs have means of choosing how many and which positions will take wounds in multi-crewed planes, but they do tend to slow things down, if you aren't prepared (and perhaps even if you are).

And there isn't a pile of broken bricks in the back yard. SWMBO made me clean them up.
    There are too many parts of this thread to quote.

Let me start with this.

I can't say I know Dave [flash] personally, but I do know his reputation on this Forum. Through complete disrespect and in a very misguided attempt at humour, I have publicly wounded a person that was entirely undeserving of it. When I went back over this discussion, I misread too many things. One was Dave [flash] attempting to defuse a few bad posts, and bring the friendliness and camraderie back to this thread for which the Forum is known. Then, when Dave [flash] posted the confusion response, I misunderstood that, too. If I read the thread now, it could have been Dave [flash] giving me an opportunity to retract my previous statements, but I took that as something different, and added insult to injury.

On reflecting on this exchange, and a recent, previous one that comes to mind, the troll has to be me. I'm the one posting comments that are not appropriate, nor funny. I'm the one provoking emotional responses, and then being surprised that people take them the wrong way. I know that the internet is not forgiving, nor able to convey tone, yet I've been posting things that are inflamatory and rude.

I stepped over the line on this, and I did it in front of a new Forum member, as well. This behaviour is not condonable, and not representative of the Forum to which I want to be part.

I apologize to Daniel [Future Pilot] for displaying behaviour that is inappropriate to our Forum, as well as all the participants in this thread that had to witness this.

I apologize to Dave [flash], a corageous and mature individual for having to step in to try to kindly rein in a troll, and for disparaging his character and reputation.

I am shipping multiple orders of dried frog pills to all and sundry even as we speak.
    Kyte.
    That Rob [Flying Officer Kyte] is taking notice of this exchange should be an indication to all of us, especially myself, of how serious the Forum is in dealing with this type of situation. I had to get some sleep, or this response would have preceded Rob's [Flying Officer Kyte] post. Nonetheless, I am now aware that this has elevated to the Forum's Administrative Levels. As it should be.

I will abide by any decisions the Forum Administrators decide is appropriate.
    Mike

Thank you for that handsome apology Mike.

However, before you beat yourself with too many knotted ropes Mike, I could see the tongue in cheek humour of much of this repartee. It brings to mind such historic episodes as "the no sails." sorties, the Triplane Wings conflict, and others which shall be confined to the dustbin of History. I never mentioned upgunning anything honest!

Once again the distribution of Frog pills seems to have worked, even if the origin of this antidote is somewhat obscure, except for those Terry Pratchett aficionados amongst us. Enough for Wingco Kyte to mention them, and this usually calms down the situation without recourse to dire threats of a more purgative nature, although I do have my reservations about even the relative effects of the Frog pills.

Anyway enough said. I am sure that all wounded parties will accept the apology in the spirit of true comradeship, and we can all get back to doing what we do so well. Moaning about Ares and their lack of producing........... Whatever. You can fill in the blanks for yourselves ladies and gentlemen.
    pp Wingco Kyte.

Yours respectfully and affectionately, Rob.

I was going to comment about the Diceless cards designed by Blackronin and produced by you, Mike but didn’t get around to it.
    For those adversed to cube-like rolling and tumbling they work magnificently.
    They were my first introduction to solo play.
    I got lazy and didn’t like having to look up several options in some situations and now use an Excel-generated version of Dave (flash)’s D8 charts.

Your point was you don’t have to use dice and I agree wholeheartedly.

Once again the distribution of Frog pills seems to have worked, even if the origin of this antidote is somewhat obscure, except for those Terry Pratchett aficionados amongst us.
    I’m just glad you didn’t sic the luggage on anyone.

Thanks for your apology Mike, lets put it down to a lack of Z's and put it behind us, along with Rob's awful frog pills

"He is wise who watches"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. wounded pilot plotting
    By Teaticket in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-05-2015, 15:20
  2. Wounded pilot house rule
    By Honza in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-14-2014, 05:24
  3. WW2 Wounded Pilot in Solo Games?