Ares Games

Thread: Monoplanes, Biplanes & OTHER Flying Things!

Default Monoplanes, Biplanes & OTHER Flying Things!

Gentlemen,

It's been a while since I've posted anything but I thought I'd pass this along for your entertainment. It's an attachment that brings you to a FB album my wife has just shared describing a couple games we played last Sunday afternoon with a long-time friend who had seen some of her previous posts and was curious enough to give Wings of Glory a try.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8018423&type=3

We used my "House Rules", which are fairly advanced (including limited ammo, blipping, modified altitude, etc.), but he took to it like a fish to water. He has since purchased the game himself as well as about 20 planes!

The sudden appearance of a Dragon at the end of the second sortie was merely a lark as he used to DM some D&D and Runequest games at our house back in the '70s. I'd seen someone's posting on this site for adding such beasts to the game and immediately purchased a set purely for this game. It was a fun ending to the day!

ENJOY!

Sounds cool but the link didn’t work.

Sounds like you are a drug dealer...first taste is free but "He has since purchased the game himself as well as about 20 planes".

Don't dismiss the dragons as they have been known to fly in Wings of Glory games.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0002.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	241131

Name:	DSC_0003.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	241132

Name:	DSC_0006.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	241133

Quote Originally Posted by BellMW54 View Post
    Gentlemen,

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8018423&type=3

We used my "House Rules", which are fairly advanced (including limited ammo, blipping, modified altitude, etc.), but he took to it like a fish to water. He has since purchased the game himself as well as about 20 planes!

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	241134

Thumbs up

Yeah I got the same message.
    However well done to introduce another new player.
    I reckon the Dragon would have just been the Icing on the Cake.

Sorry guys, I tend to forget that, like myself, many people don't do Facebook. Following is my wife's post:

Monoplanes, Biplanes & OTHER Flying Things!
    (a WWI aviator's story)
    it's a seriously rainy Sunday afternoon (deluge and flooding) so what better time to invite our friend Bhil to come over and try his hand at flying? Tabletop flying that is (lol)!

Name:	7'9'17_19905234_10203517912425271_1623610306668656577_n.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	241318

Mike explains the game and briefs us on the scenario of our first Sortie. he'll be a German flying an Albatross C-III on a recon mission to photograph two objectives behind our lines ...

Name:	DT_01_Mike explains scenario.jpg 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	241319

... while Bhil and I are both French and enter together in our Moraine-Saulnier monoplanes to either disrupt Mike's mission or destroy him

Name:	DT_02_Bill and I fly onto the map.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	241320

Mike easily achieves his first objective before we can get close enough to stop him

Name:	DT_03_Mike achieves 1st objective.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	282.7 KB 
ID:	241321

RATS! he's also achieved photographing his SECOND objective...

Name:	DT_04_Mike achieves 2nd objective.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	209.6 KB 
ID:	241322

... but as he swings out, Bhil's there to meet him head-on with gun blazing at close range! i try to position myself between Mike and his lines

Name:	DT_05_but Bill meets him head-on.jpg 
Size:	278.1 KB 
ID:	241323

OUCH! Mike's wounded..."ah, 'tis but a scratch!"

Name:	DT_06_ouch! mike's pilot has been hit.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	241324

all three of us get briefly entangled in a nasty little fur-ball

Name:	DT_07_the three of us get entangled in a fur-ball.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	265.5 KB 
ID:	241325

then Bhil runs out of ammo and Mike suddenly breaks off, heading full-throttle toward his lines... little did we know that Mike's observer had been killed in our little tussle

Name:	DT_08_but Mike breaks away for his lines.jpg 
Size:	274.8 KB 
ID:	241326

we follow as fast as we can and Bhil reloads while closing in on him. Mike dives to try and gain some distance but Bhil stays hot on his tail...

Name:	DT_09_Bill kills Mike's observer so Mike dives to get away.jpg 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	241327

...getting off one last burst as Mike exits the map. Bhil not only damages Mike's engine and causes smoke, he also shatters the Albatross' camera and plates, rendering the whole mission fruitless!

Name:	DT_10_As Mike flies off Bill's final burst causes smoke and shatters the camera.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	227.4 KB 
ID:	241328

the victors... YAYYY!!!

Name:	DT_11_The victors.jpg 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	241329

after a quick lunch we embark on Sortie #2. this time, we switch sides and Mike spots for artillery in a Sopwith Strutter... he has to keep circling the target until the French guns are zeroed-in before returning to his lines

Name:	DT_12_Sortie 2, Mike spots for artillery.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	230.5 KB 
ID:	241330

Bhil dons a German uniform and flies his Eindekker E-III onto the map to, yet again, either disrupt or destroy Mike. i enter from the opposite side in my French Nieuport "Bebe"... this time to support my hubby!

Name:	DT_13_Bill enters to disrupt while I fly in to the resucue.jpg 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	241331

Bhil gets there first and blasts Mike from behind causing his engine to smoke. if that isn't enough, the French artillery hits off-target, BUT one of its shells passes through Mike's plane, setting it alight... oh no!

Name:	DT_14_Bill gets there first and blast Mike from behind.jpg 
Size:	277.3 KB 
ID:	241332

suffering enemy and friendly fire as well as stuck in a burning plane, Mike's trusty observer "gives back as good as he gets" and Bhil's Eindekker also bursts into flames.

Name:	DT_15_IMG_but Mike's gunner gives as good as he gets.jpg 
Size:	227.4 KB 
ID:	241343

as I continue to close, Mike tries to maintain his course while fighting the flames coming from his engine. meanwhile, Bhil goes into a steep overdive in an attempt to blow his fire out...

Name:	DT_16_Mike continues to spot while Bill overdives to quench fire.jpg 
Size:	221.1 KB 
ID:	241342

... which he does! sadly, as I enter the fray, Mike's plane suddenly ignites like a Roman Candle and plummets to the ground! my poor hubby ...
    "Oh well, can't be helped, can't be helped." (lol!!!)

Name:	DT_17_as I enter the fray, Mike is downed by friendly artillery fire.jpg 
Size:	266.3 KB 
ID:	241341

having recovered from his own fiery ordeal, Bhil begins a slow, arduous climb to come up and face me in a duel. i'll stay put and try to maneuver my little "Bebe" for advantage.

Name:	DT_18_Bill begins his climb to meet me in the air.jpg 
Size:	252.9 KB 
ID:	241340

but all the bursting artillery shells and crashing airplanes suddenly awaken a deadly legend, drawing it angrily from its subterranean lair...

Name:	DT_19_shells and a crashing plane suddenly arouses a legend.jpg 
Size:	218.6 KB 
ID:	241339

... and, as I watch from above, it ferociously attacks the first petty little annoyance it sees... turning poor Bhil and his Eindekker to toast! guess it saved me a lot of trouble

Name:	DT_20_which immediately turns Bill to toast.jpg 
Size:	282.3 KB 
ID:	241338

WHOA! now it's coming after ME and my flimsy little Nieuport... that's it, I'm outta here!!

Name:	DT_22_and not a moment too soon.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	241337

... and not a moment too soon!!!

Name:	DT_21_Woah! i'm outta here.jpg 
Size:	219.7 KB 
ID:	241336

the butcher's bill... the Dragon wins!

Name:	DT_23_the butcher's bill.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	243.6 KB 
ID:	241335

after the games are over and Bhil prepares to leave, something unexpected suddenly lands on his shoulder ...

Name:	DT_24_As bill leaves he notices he's not alone.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	241334

... it seems Bhil won't be driving home alone!!!!

Name:	DT_25_someone's going home with him.jpg 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	241333

Again, my apologies to those who were unable to open the original attachment. And, also again, thanks to whomever it was who'd posted the "DRAGONHUNT (WoG)" rules; they were a fun departure. We'll try them out on my daughters and their husbands one day!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Sounds like you are a drug dealer...first taste is free but "He has since purchased the game himself as well as about 20 planes".

Don't dismiss the dragons as they have been known to fly in Wings of Glory games.
    Yes, that certainly seems to be the case. I received an e-mail from Bhil last night informing me that he'd just received three more 2-seaters yesterday ... talk about being bitten by the bug! I have no idea how he's able to get his planes so quickly ... he must be paying through the nose for shipping. I've said it before and will say it again; Guys, get your wives involved in the hobby. They can sometimes be the best promoters!

Also, it looks like you had a serious infestation of dragons in WWII!

My wife loves flying WWI and is quite deadly. She has her own flock of Sopwith's in her Welsh Dragon livery. Setting other planes on fire is her specialty! Yes, get the wives involved but be aware that you will be on the short end of the stick if you fly against her!

I have some dragon rules of my own I will post in the files at some point in the near future. My poor graphics are being upgraded by Mike (OldGuy59).

Definitely some fiery action in that last one!

Thanks for reposting.

Nice after action report. Love the custom flame & smoke markers, as well as the dragon menace.

Initial draft of Peter's [teaticket] and my colaboration on a Dragon card:

Name:	WGF_DragonRed_Card_57mmSqr.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	272.8 KB 
ID:	241426

Templates for Flame and Tail attacks, and a very 'Special' maneuver deck.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Awesome Mike. Simply awesome. Just looked at the set of four, fantastic. Hmmmm, after the tripods land maybe ARES would like some dragons?

Thanks for posting the FB post, Mike; looked like a fun game. And yes, the dragons often win.

Nice dragon card, Mike. Didn't think to ask for one for my games.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Beautiful stuff here all around, folks! GREAT AAR and pictures, and the dragon card (Mike and Peter) is splendid

Flying with dragons is a fun time, just like battling King Kong is a fun game. Lightens the mood a bit from 'regular' flying/furballs...

All the best,
    Matt

Thumbs up

Thanks so much for posting the Facebook Post. Great set of photos to illustrate what was obviously a couple of great games.

Well Done & look forward to more AAR's from you in the future.

Yes, I also want to thank you for posting the AAR here (rather than Facebook) because it meant I could see it and enjoy.

Thank you for the good A.A.R., Mike, the photographs from your battles, Peter, and the Dragon card, Mike and Peter.

If Ares produced a game, they could call it 'Doppledeckers and Dragons' but since shortening that to D&D might annoy a certain other company, perhaps a different name might be needed.

Nice AAR's detailing all the action, do like your excerpt of the Bayeux Tapestry in the background !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Nice AAR's detailing all the action, do like your excerpt of the Bayeux Tapestry in the background !
    I noticed that too and forgot to mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Initial draft of Peter's [teaticket] and my colaboration on a Dragon card:

Templates for Flame and Tail attacks, and a very 'Special' maneuver deck.
    That card is COOL, Mike, and the special maneuver cards sound intriguing. Where can I see what you and Peter have worked up?

My wife loves flying WWI and is quite deadly. She has her own flock of Sopwith's in her Welsh Dragon livery. Setting other planes on fire is her specialty! Yes, get the wives involved but be aware that you will be on the short end of the stick if you fly against her!
    My wife doesn't have a "flock" of her own, but she DOES have a rather sizable Spanish squadron for SAILS of Glory, with which she's notorious. She's posted a number of THOSE games on her FB site as well ... and drawn a few interested parties into the hobby. We actually started with "Sails" before we discovered "Wings"... even so, she likes playing "Wings" better.

I have some dragon rules of my own I will post in the files at some point in the near future. My poor graphics are being upgraded by Mike (OldGuy59).
    I just saw and commented on "OldGuy59"s post. I'm curious to see what you both have come up with.

....she DOES have a rather sizeable Spanish squadron for SAILS of Glory, with which she's notorious.....
    Notorious eh ? I'm getting a picture.... does she go by the name Spitfire ?!

"He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Very apt Dave.

Actually Dave, you don't know how close to the truth you ARE! So close, in fact, it's a bit scary ...

Name:	TBT_9'29'16(2)_12046816_10201008964903151_3870044302270651346_n.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	242173

... although she doesn't go by Spitfire, she IS (or at least once WAS) a fencer!

Name:	TBT_8'11'16a_13938631_10202080880340367_7944900382612318042_n.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	286.1 KB 
ID:	242174

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Definitely some fiery action in that last one!
    Much more fire than expected, Pete ... even WITHOUT the dragon. It's a rare occasion for two opponents to light up; especially so quickly!

Actually Dave, you don't know how close to the truth you ARE! So close, in fact, it's a bit scary ...
    ... although she doesn't go by Spitfire, she IS (or at least once WAS) a fencer!
    Must've picked up the vibe Mike... Sometimes I scare myself !

"He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Name:	TBT_9'29'16(2)_12046816_10201008964903151_3870044302270651346_n.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	242173

Name:	TBT_8'11'16a_13938631_10202080880340367_7944900382612318042_n.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	286.1 KB 
ID:	242174
    She sure looks the part.
    Sounds like you would not want to get on the wrong side of her Mike.

Similar Missions

1. Rigging for Monoplanes and more.
    By phililphall in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-25-2013, 02:30
  2. WGF How to Rig the Ares Monoplanes.
    By gully_raker in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-05-2012, 11:20
  3. from biplanes to monoplanes
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7