Ares Games

Thread: Anyone else into 1/144 WW2 tanks?

Default Anyone else into 1/144 WW2 tanks?

Greetings!

As I started to collect 1/144 scale WW2 planes, I stumbled upon a really inexpensive set of 1/144 WW2 tanks and couldn’t resist buying a set. The quality for under $9 dollars was excellent!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	67473D3E-5496-4FD2-BC20-3F7C54947397.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	241122

Does anyone else here do any 1/144 tank gaming? I was thinking about adding a WW2 tank adventure to my next Wings of Glory WW2 run! If I can find other 1/144 WW2 tanks, I’ll probably end up buying several.

-Chuck

I have bought too many 15mm WW2 vehicles to go smaller now. I wish I had gone smaller when I started but the coverage wasn't quite there yet. I'm thinking about getting some micro armor for WGS targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I'm thinking about getting some micro armor for WGS targets.
    I have a bunch 0f 1/285th Micro Armour and never even thought about that!

Thanks for the idea, Peter.

I'm kicking myself as years ago when I was telling myself I was only going to do WGF I sold a load of micro armor.

10mm is an odd scale here in the States, at least AFAIK.
    Personally, I go smaller for ground targets. I did just buy a batch of micro armor (GHQ) for such use. Somewhere in the attic, I have a bunch from the 80s, but "somewhere" is the operative word
    For ground games, my choice is 15mm, though I am getting into Bolt Action, and the local store runs the full 28mm, so I'm getting some of them too.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    10mm is an odd scale here in the States, at least AFAIK.
    Personally, I go smaller for ground targets. I did just buy a batch of micro armor (GHQ) for such use. Somewhere in the attic, I have a bunch from the 80s, but "somewhere" is the operative word
    For ground games, my choice is 15mm, though I am getting into Bolt Action, and the local store runs the full 28mm, so I'm getting some of them too.
    Karl
    I've tried Bolt Action with 15mm and it works fine. This will save me a fortune as I already have many 15mm armies. I did buy some 28mm US and Germans before trying out my 15mm. Luckily I didn't go in whole hog.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I've tried Bolt Action with 15mm and it works fine. This will save me a fortune as I already have many 15mm armies. I did buy some 28mm US and Germans before trying out my 15mm. Luckily I didn't go in whole hog.
    I have seen it played with 15mm just fine; but if I want local opponents with their own armies, I have to go 28mm.
    That said, I will probably expand to 15mm when time/money allows. I really don't want to invest in a large number of 28mm vehicles.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Rich S has some 1/144 tanks. F-toys also has them so you can expand using them. At the Williamsburg Muster yesterday we did a ACW game with 10mm figs. Rich did a great job of the figures but I was frustrated by the rules. Maybe because it was the first time any of us had played these rules.

When I started playing armor games it was with 1/72 model tanks. These days there are so many different types compared to years ago. I think F-toys does 1/144 tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I have seen it played with 15mm just fine; but if I want local opponents with their own armies, I have to go 28mm.
    That said, I will probably expand to 15mm when time/money allows. I really don't want to invest in a large number of 28mm vehicles.
    Karl
    For a number of years I played Flames of War in 15mm at the FLGS. After that was discontinued, I discovered Bolt Action and really like it. I play it in 28mm at the Council of Five Nations, Huzzah! and at my own Hudson Valley Rumble. Here are some pictures of my Germans in action at last year's Stalingrad game at Huzzah!

Name:	Bolt Action 8.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	244748

Name:	Bolt Action7.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	244749

Name:	Bolt Action1.jpg 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	244750

Name:	Bolt Action2.jpg 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	244751

Name:	Bolt Action3.jpg 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	244752

Name:	Bolt Action 9.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	244753
    Last edited by NewFlyBoy; 04-17-2018 at 17:26.

Bill all that looks wonderful! Great job!
    “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror!” Gregory “Pappy” Boyington, USMC”

Got some Microarmor WWII stuff in cases around here. used them when I converted the charts form Avalon Hills Tobruk into a tabletop game. just made a hex template to put over the tank for hit angle and converted hexes to inches. Then have 3 or 4 FoW armies around here I play every now and then (EW French, DAK, 8th army, and late war Heer)/ We now play Bolt action more often so again have DAK and Soviet armies. DO not even want to count how many FoW and BA armies I have commission painted over the last few years. Including some odd ones for BA (Waffen SS camo, Italian Partizans, and Spanish legion in the Russian campaign. Problem is more interests then time, money, or people to play...sigh.

I bought some 6mm tanks and a train for Whirlwinds to shoot up in northern France, then I bought some 3 mm tanks and trucks for Hurribombers and Stukas to beat up in the western desert.
    Lately I have been using the 3mm tanks for What a Tanker rules!
    The 3mm range is quite large, made by a Polish company, Odzmy I think, (from Magister Militum in the UK).
    So far I have Pz II, III, IV, PAK 50, Matilda, Valentine, Crusader I, Stuart and Grant, plus Opel Blitz and Morris 15cwt trucks.
    At £3.50 for 15 models its a lot cheaper than 15mm and I can play a small game on a sheet of A4!

Name:	caravan tanks.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	248854
    Last edited by johnbiggles; 06-12-2018 at 13:23.

Lest we forget

I bought a bunch of the 21st Century Toys line at Walmart when they came out. Unfortunately I couldn't find any of the halftracks, so the tanks aren't of much use to me. I had hoped to sub these tanks (which were really well done) for the ones in Axis & Allies Miniatures, which were... not so well done.

I purchased a ton of these sized tanks but just haven’t had the time to play them in Wings of Glory yet!
    “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror!” Gregory “Pappy” Boyington, USMC”

At long last! I found something that helps me figure out mini scales. How do you tell '1/144' scale in relation to '15mm' scale?

With this: Wikipedia.org - List of Scale Model Sizes

Thanks, Interweb!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Great resource Mike, thanks for posting the link.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    At long last! I found something that helps me figure out mini scales. How do you tell '1/144' scale in relation to '15mm' scale?

With this: Wikipedia.org - List of Scale Model Sizes

Thanks, Interweb!

Very useful Mike. It will save a lot of time working them out.
    Thanks.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Excellent - thanks Mike

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Thanks Mike - really useful stuff!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I just ordered several more 1/144 WW2 tanks off eBay. They were only a dollar a pop. Not bad for plastic little tanks!

Not bad at all Chuck, my metal 1:200 cost a lot more than that.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. TANKS! Anyone?
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 04-23-2017, 02:31
  2. Tanks
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-01-2016, 12:42
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-15-2014, 14:55
  4. Tanks in WWI