Ares Games

Thread: BP Defiant Firing Arc?

atomzero

Default BP Defiant Firing Arc?

I am thinking about creating a Boulton Paul Defiant for WGS. Does anyone have a guess as to the size of its firing arc? Has anyone created one of these?

It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by atomzero View Post
    I am thinking about creating a Boulton Paul Defiant for WGS. Does anyone have a guess as to the size of its firing arc? Has anyone created one of these?
    Firing arc is 360 degrees but front section over the cockpit is at higher level targets only.

I use the same arc as for a Roland C.II's observer's gun for the turret at targets on the same level but insert a blind spot behind the tail and 360 degrees for targets at a higher level. Also the Schrage Musick rules can be applied for targets at higher levels.

A base for a Roland C.II rear gun only plane may be bought from the Aerodrome Store, if you do not own one.
    Last edited by Naharaht; 02-07-2018 at 21:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I use the same arc as for a Roland C.II's observer's gun for the turret at targets on the same level but insert a blind spot behind the tail and 360 degrees for targets at a higher level. Also the Schrage Musick rules can be applied for targets at higher levels.

A base for a Roland C.II rear gun only plane may be bought from the Aerodrome Store, if you do not own one.
    The rear blindspot was a puzzler for me; in the end, I chose to let them shoot. Probably a slender BS, say 5 degrees would be appropriate, but KISS.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

atomzero

I have never played with altitude. It just wouldn't "fly" with the crowd I play WoG with, so it presents some difficult questions for me in deciding how I want the arc to work. I'm pretty happy with all of the ideas you all gave me. I was thinking maybe, for no altitude play, to make it a 360 gun with blind spots in the front and back, though really, I think all of the ideas I've read seem reasonable.

With no altitude, I would go with just the front BS.
    Karl

Similar Missions

1. AIM Boulton and Paul Defiant.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-30-2015, 01:19
  2. WGSF Boulton and Paul Defiant.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-23-2015, 12:49
  3. WSF Boulton Paul Defiant
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 7