Ares Games

Thread: Over Lapping Bases: question

Default Over Lapping Bases: question

Just want a clarification. If two planes are over lapping and are at different altitudes can they still shoot at each other it they are in the firing cone? I think I saw it in the rules as yes and it is a long shoot so only one damage card is given. If someone knows which book and what page it is on please relay the info to me.

Thanks
    Tom

Page 4 of the Famous Aces rulebook says no. The book doesn't have too much on altitude though. I checked the Dawn of War book as well, as it goes more in depth into altitude. I still couldn't find any alternate rules that said overlapping planes could fire at each other.

Not to say your group can't though. My group makes house rules all the time.

I'm reasonably sure they can't outside of house rules. There's nothing in the altitude rules to override the blanket "overlapping planes can't fire at each other" rule, not that I've ever found at any rate.

AFAIK the only thing allowed to fire at overlapping targets are AA guns, and then only if you're using altitude rules. It notes this as an exception to the normal rules, so I'd say this more or less confirms that overlapping models can't target each other.

Quote Originally Posted by postal_bob View Post
    Page 4 of the Famous Aces rulebook says no. The book doesn't have too much on altitude though. I checked the Dawn of War book as well, as it goes more in depth into altitude. I still couldn't find any alternate rules that said overlapping planes could fire at each other.

Not to say your group can't though. My group makes house rules all the time.
    We have always gone with the rule unless the plane at lower altitude has a wing mounted gun that can be swung down to fire or the observer of a two seater has the plane above in his firing arc.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Just want a clarification. If two planes are over lapping and are at different altitudes can they still shoot at each other it they are in the firing cone? I think I saw it in the rules as yes and it is a long shoot so only one damage card is given. If someone knows which book and what page it is on please relay the info to me.

Thanks
    Tom
    Tom,

Sorry, but after looking through each of the rules books, I found no reference to what you have listed above. As a matter of fact, Burning Drachens and the Balloon Busters Rulesbooks are the only rules book that lists Altitude Rules with a paragraph on Collisions (ie overlapping). In Burning Drachens see the optional Altitude Rules Section, page 16. Under 'Altitude Optional Rules' 'Collisions', and in Balloon Busters on Pg. 7. All other references to 'overlapping' are in the regular rules sections of all of the rules books, and none of them had any mention of overlapping planes being able to fire at each other.

For the basic overlapping rules, see:

Famous Aces/Watch Your Back: Pg. 4
    Deluxe Miniatures S0et (Original) Pg. 4
    Deluxe Miniatures Set (Revised): Pg. 6

Nothing in Flight of The Giants

Thanks guys for your help. Now I have to eat crow and go back and tell the guys I was wrong. Its not the first and won't be the last I'm sure.

Tom

Crow goes better with Murphy Stout (hope I remembered that correctly)!

Quote Originally Posted by gregbond77 View Post
    Crow goes better with Murphy Stout (hope I remembered that correctly)!
    Yes. And now I can get it here. Unfortunately I'm snowed in without any. But my friend said he forgets and adds rules from other games all the time. He's a good guy.

Just a question about CROW...

I wondered, does it taste like chicken?

Lucky.

Not even close...more like...two week old tovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Bryan View Post
    Just a question about CROW...

I wondered, does it taste like chicken?

Lucky.

old tovers.
    ????????
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    ????????
    Rob.
    I looked up "tovers" online and could not find anything edible... no clue... I think maybe the cold winter air is getting to the WingCo...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I think he meant leftovers. At least thats how I read it.

Maybe short for leftovers?

Quote Originally Posted by HardRock View Post
    I think he meant leftovers. At least thats how I read it.
    Henry and Larry got it. When we were kids and asked mom whats for dinner she would say tovers. Short for left-overs of course we thought it was a new dish the 1st time we heard it. Now we never had 2 week old, but that is what I would think crow would taste like.

Henry and Larry got it. When we were kids and asked mom whats for dinner she would say tovers. Short for left-overs of course we thought it was a new dish the 1st time we heard it. Now we never had 2 week old, but that is what I would think crow would taste like.
    Like I said in a different post. I am a bit of a Moron when it is late at night... DOH!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Thanks for clearing that one up chaps. At my time of life I often think I have missed some important newspeak. In this case I obviously have. It is suprising what gets dealt with and explained on the rules forum.
    Rob.

Default two marks worth

it is a midair collision.

Similar Missions

1. Flight of the Giants bases?
    By LazyEyedPsycho in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 12-23-2011, 17:00
  2. Scout bases.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-24-2010, 06:37
  3. 3D balloon bases and target cards